Greggles Crusade: Vow Complete! Our High Marshall! 7/30/14

greggles

You honor me by choosing the name I suggested brother.

He looks all nice and spruced up now!  I really like the purple on the sealing wax, really helps them stand out against your red dominant scheme.  Also digging the stance you chose on the legs, helps counteract the rigidness and the static nature of the model.

May you go forth ancient Sariel, as all champions have gone before you since lord Sigismund himself and smite all champions of evil wherever they hide.  Go with your faith in emperor and may he shield you from the wrath of darkness, may all who would dare strike you break against your hallowed hull like water against the greatest stone.  Carry within your heart always the unending fury of a Templar and with it crush your enemies as if a mountain had crashed down upon them.  You are the Foe-Hammer; mutant, heretic, xenos, daemon, all will broken asunder by your righteous might.  Now be on your way ancient Sariel Foe-Hammer and may you bring glory and honor to the chapter evermore.  May you legacy echo in eternity.

Wisdom of the mind, strength of the body, purity of zeal in the spirit.  Emperor, primarch and sire of the chapter be with you.

Thanks guys!

I cheated a little with the pose.  I magnetize the dread bodies to the legs, so I can artificially raise them.  I don't like how the standard 40k dreads are so short and squat.  Especially when you compare them to other walkers from opposing armies.  So what I do, is take a group of 3 magnets, and plop them down between the legs and the torso.  Raises them up about 1/2 an inch to 3/4 an inch, which helps their proportions immensely.  Because of that, I can swivel the torso in any direction I see fit.  It's kinda of a cheat, because I didn't do any modeling...but you can't tell on the tabletop unless you squat down to model eye level :).

The two hunter killers are also magnetized, so I can remove them as they are fired.

Thanks for the lovely words Elenmar.  May the emperor forever be your shield!

mytimeprez,

I got them from ork warbikers I believe.  They are one of the weapon options.  I took the tops of them off and attached them to axe hilts I believe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEAPON-ARMS-bits-Ork-Warbiker-Warhammer-40K-Games-Workshop-c-/351040218558?pt=Games_US&hash=item51bba0a5be

If I were to do them again, I think I'd use the dark angel corvus hammers instead.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARHAMMER-40K-BITS-DARK-ANGELS-RAVENWING-CORVUS-HAMMERS-4x-/310771052856?pt=Games_US&hash=item485b65f138

They look a bit more proportional, and might be easier to pose more dynamically.  I just have an issue spending 7 bucks on 4 tiny pieces of plastic :).  (My other army is orks, so I have bins and bins of ork bitz)

Back from pax!  There was a black templar player in the tournament! I was so happy to see some templar models!  I don't know how he did overall, but his first matchup was vs necrons.

He was running..

(1500 points)

grimmy

assault squad

drop pod crusaders

Devastator squad (i think)

crusaders/grimmy in land raider crusader

crusaders rhino

He went up vs

destroyer lord

wraiths

scarbs, 

2 ghost arks

doomsday barge

annihilation barge

night scythe

Game wasn't going too well for him.  Crusader and rhino died early.  Grimmy had to foot slog towards two  ghost arks...you can guess how that went.  But have faith brothers!

He ended up winning the mission :).  The emperor protects!

• 2 weeks later...

Another warrior joins the crusade.

http://i.imgur.com/k1MrI84.jpg

Quite a difficult model to build.  (Some bits off it right now for painting purposes).  I'm going to redo that sword too, its not templar enough.  Needs to be about twice as big with chains.

Scaling shot with other dreads.

http://i.imgur.com/DgvllvD.jpg

I'm using it as a "counts as" contemptor dread.

Nice! I'm not sure about the "hand" that is holding the sword. It looks kind of awkward, is that one of the pieces that is missing?  Otherwise looks great! Can't wait to see it Templar-fied!

Also I'm not sure on the scale of them but seems like you could potentially use it as a Imperial Knight too. 

It's about 4.5 inches tall, so bit short for a knight.  I might modify it to make it closer to 4 inches tall...but it does stand up to the megadread pretty good, and also some nids/daemons.  

The sword arm is pretty much as is.  It's not as cohesive as the rest of the model.  Luckily it is easy to swap the arms, so I'm going to be working on a replacement so it looks more proper.  Bits that are missing are the mid foot plates, center pistons, center guns.  The pauldrons are just sitting on top right now as well (they look a bit better once fixed in place).

Here's another scale shot.

http://i.imgur.com/qMSypUg.jpg

The knights are about 6.5 to 7 inches tall, but very very wide.

Here's a shot vs a whole line of mini's.  (The crusader is almost identical in height to the dreadknight)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BSsoiahQms4/UxhF6jG_j_I/AAAAAAAAF2M/hhE-IzRT2J8/s1600/IMG_0127.jpg

I think there are two scale versions of that model, one of which is actually a little taller than a standard knight, perhaps you've seen the other version.

Yep, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks for the info guys.  

That's a cool model. The only thing I'm not liking is the spine. There should have been something to cover the abdomen, it doesn't look capable of holding the weight of the torso section, even with the pistons. It doesn't really fit the whole armoured-up look of the model. But that's just my opinion, it gets bonus points for being a Crusader! teehee.gif

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing it painted. I assume it'll be BT scheme? It's not THAT cool in silver. msn-wink.gif

I agree that the spine is a bit off in the design of the model.  I'd just concentrate all my attacks there ignoring the heavily armored section :)  I'm going to experiment with the height to make it a bit more squat (using some tubes for temp spines), then clip the spine, then hopefully armor it up a bit better with some plasticard.  I figure the model might look less vulnerable if the top torso was just down a half an inch.  We'll see!  I'd also like to fashion tabard, fix the sword, and put a FW shield on the shoulder plate.

There are "three" crusader verisons.  This is the 15mm 4.5 tall one.  There is also a 28mm version, that is absolutely gigantic (about 9 inches tall), that dwarves the imperial knights.  There is a limited edition version (for the kickstarter guys), which is 5.5 inches tall.  Anyone who got that model has a perfect imperial knight proxy.  You can't order that one.  (was kickstarter only).

And yes, will be a BT scheme to fit in with the rest of my army.  I may attempt to air brush him.  We shall see! 

I have the original resin 15mm version of him, though at the time I was going to use for Custodes (i.e. Dreadknight). It's still hanging around as I'm waiting for inspiration. I am thinking that the 15mm version is too small to be a knight, though maybe it could be a "lesser" knight class. Not sure yet.

http://i.imgur.com/wCtLPVt.jpg

Working on ETL.  I always like to start with the bases first.  Helps inspire me.  Still debating on how to paint the master of the forge.  Was debating painting him black, but instead of white edging, using red-orange highlights on the armor plates.  Bit of templar, bit of mars.

I'm blown away by how beautiful they are... And they are just the bases... They are the dirt beneath the feet of your noble Templars... I honestly cannot wait to see what else you produce!

Archived