BA Digital Codex

Unbreakable

I was all excited about this yesterday, but I've finally come down from mount optimism. At best, they FAQ our book and give us Warlord Traits and access to some units from Codex Space Marines. Honestly, I'd be shocked if we even get that. Looks like our next Codex is farther out than I thought. ermm.gif

Just curious, what else do you think the Blood Angels need, other than a points adjustment? I'm not trying to argue, I'm genuinely curious what Blood Angels players actually think needs to change in the codex other than small adjustments to make it competitively costed in 6th.

What I'd wish for BAs is just point adjustments, flakk missiles and storm talons. Give me that and I am a happy bunny.

Yeah, I feel like that's really all that is needed (well, the other new Marine units too). It'll be disappointing if they don't include those. The points reduction seems less likely, but who knows, we weren't expecting a digital release either.

Aye the two new tanks would be welcomed also.

On the other hand BAs being big fans of flying around, I feel that anti-air duties can be handled by Stormtalons and Stormravens.

And I can live without the centurions, even though some gravgun plateform could be useful (maybe give the option to buy one gravcannon per 5 termies instead of the usual heavy weapon)

It would actually be nice to see a new flyer, something like a stripped down, fighter-style Stormraven.  Make it AV 12 all round, ceramite plated (which is horribly ironic now that flyers can't deep strike), cost around 100-150 points, and have meltas and lascannons for weapon options.  Perhaps remove the top turret and have lascannon sponsons instead of hurricane bolters.  Something along those lines.  Would really drive home the Blood Angels Air Superiority motif, and could be done with a single frame for converting an existing Stormraven.

But best yet, would provide a Vendetta-type answer to all flyers that would basically mean that if you played BA, you could own the skies in any game.  That I would truly enjoy.

I could actually do without Centurions, the Stalker, Hunter, and Thunderfire cannons.  Bringing Sanguinary Guard in line with Honor Guard (up to 10 bodies in a unit, cheaper, maybe even slotless?) and adjusting pricing to match the SM codex would be about as much copy/paste work as I want.  Maybe grav guns as an option.  Still not 100% that we need them, but they might be nice to have.

The image going around talks about SOB getting a digital. It has the top right of the BA codex cover shown at the bottom. Intertubules are speculating that BA get the same treatment SOB does ("all updated for Warhammer 40k 6th edition"). However I take this to mean that it's just some FAQ additions and Errata fixes.

Hope they don't take our Heroic intervention away.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/554140.page;jsessionid=24949116B8115F9D9AD899721081B50D

The dakka thread above ^ has the picture that's been doing the rounds mentions SoB getting a 6th edition update plus a warlord traits table. Given that, from what is visible, it's the same as the current cover art for the BA dex, I'd say that it's most likely to be a straight digitisation with the errata/FAQ worked in, with the slim possibility of a warlord traits table.

Thing is, Sisters codex is INCREDIBLY difficult to get, and impossible to come by by any legitimate means at present thanks to WD only availability, so it'll probably have a few extra tweaks to it. If they wanted to give us a warlord trait table though, that's a really simple fix in an FAQ document:

"A warlord chosen from Codex: Blood Angels may choose to roll on the following Warlord Traits table instead of the one in the rulebook:

*insert traits here*"

And then small caveats in certain SC entries giving them specifics - wouldn't be surprised to see a no scatter on DS one that Dante has automatically (did it to Tau, and means less brainpower wasted thinking up 6 new ones)

I was all excited about this yesterday, but I've finally come down from mount optimism. At best, they FAQ our book and give us Warlord Traits and access to some units from Codex Space Marines. Honestly, I'd be shocked if we even get that. Looks like our next Codex is farther out than I thought. ermm.gif

Just curious, what else do you think the Blood Angels need, other than a points adjustment? I'm not trying to argue, I'm genuinely curious what Blood Angels players actually think needs to change in the codex other than small adjustments to make it competitively costed in 6th.

If I was writing the Blood Angels Codex, aside from doing point adjustments this is what I would do:
• Add the Stalker/Hunter as a Heavy Support choice.
• Add the Storm Talon as a Fast Attack choice.
• Add the Land Speeder Storm as a Dedicated Transport for Scouts (I know this one is a stretch, but I love the Storm!).
• Add options for Grav weapons.
• Up the max squad size of Sanguinary Guard to 10.
• Create a single statline for Glaive Encarmines: +1S, AP2, Two-handed, Mastercrafted
• Let Dante use his Axe at Initiative.
• Let Death Company Tycho join a unit of Death Company.
• Make Lemartes' Jump Pack optional.
• Give Lemartes It Will Not Die.
• Make Corbulo an HQ.
• Bring back the Sanguinary High Priest HQ.
• Bring back Moriar the Chosen.
• Give Captains decent equipment options like Artificer Armour.
• Give Mephiston Vitarus and make it AP2.
• Mephiston keeps his 5e Psychic Powers (and gets a new miniature!).
• Give Librarians access to Biomancy, Divination, Telepathy or Telekinesis.
• Access to Flakk missiles.
• Copy and paste Tactical Squads from Codex Space Marines.
• Copy and paste Scout Squads from Codex Space Marines.
• Allow 1 unit of Sternguard Veterans, Vanguard Veterans, or Honour Guard to take a Stormraven as a Dedicated Transport per detachment.
• Allow Blood Angels to disembark from vehicles that move 12" with the caveat that they need to take dangerous terrain tests. Units that assault after disembarking in this manner count as making a disordered charge.
These were the easy changes I've been thinking about since 6th Edition was released. Some things I'm not so sure about:
• Change Red Thirst to the following: Blood Angels within 12" of an enemy model (not a vehicle) roll a D6 at the start of their movement phase. On a roll of 1-2 they suffer the effects of Red Thirst and gain Rage, Fleet, and Fearless until the start of their next turn. Models that are under the affect of Red Thirst that fire in the Shooting Phase can only fire Snap Shots.
• Allow a Baal Predator with a Flamestorm cannon the ability to use torrent once per game.
If I had the luxury of creating a new unit I would introduce a new Dedicated Transport that would have 12/12/10 Armour, Assault Ramps, and a Troop Capacity of 12. I would also make this available for the Space Wolves.
I played armchair Quarterback. Now what would you guys do?

You forgot one major thing-- Reduce cost of jump packs from 25 to 10pts each on ICs and from 10pts to 5pts on units.  And drop Assault Marines by a couple points.

Also, I'd like to see Librarians and Captains copy/pasted from the SM codex, as far as options and costs go.

I could personally pass on the Stalker/Hunter and Stormtalon, IF we got an AV12 fighter (not like the DA or Tau got, but an actual fighter that compares favorably to the Vendetta for anti-air), and it was Fast Attack instead of Heavy.

id quite like to see assault squads go back to fast attack... crazy as that sounds, but with the caveat that they are scoring if the captain has a jump pack.

that way a battle company would fit into the force org chart again which would be sensible IMO.

course all of the wants and likes wont happen. we'll probably have to wait until a minimum of this time next year, perhaps anything up to a year longer than that.

I'm not entirely sure what the point of this would be. I understand SoB could do with it since their WD update might be difficult to get, but why release a digital copy of the BA codex? Lets face it, its extremely unlikely they will make any changes in it and if they don't make any changes to it then I don't see too many people buying it. Very strange choice indeed.

The only reason to do this is if they were going to make some small changes but then this will cause havoc with the actual physical copy of the codex available.

I'm not entirely sure what the point of this would be. I understand SoB could do with it since their WD update might be difficult to get, but why release a digital copy of the BA codex? Lets face it, its extremely unlikely they will make any changes in it and if they don't make any changes to it then I don't see too many people buying it. Very strange choice indeed.

The only reason to do this is if they were going to make some small changes but then this will cause havoc with the actual physical copy of the codex available.

Well even if it's just a straight up digital version of the current version with zero changes, it's not really costing GW to put it up except for some small digital editing costs and itunes hosting fees.  Even if they only get 100 downloads it'll be nearly pure profit.

You forgot one major thing-- Reduce cost of jump packs from 25 to 10pts each on ICs and from 10pts to 5pts on units.  And drop Assault Marines by a couple points.

Also, I'd like to see Librarians and Captains copy/pasted from the SM codex, as far as options and costs go.

I could personally pass on the Stalker/Hunter and Stormtalon, IF we got an AV12 fighter (not like the DA or Tau got, but an actual fighter that compares favorably to the Vendetta for anti-air), and it was Fast Attack instead of Heavy.

True, those would be cheaper, but going with the current trend we'd lose codex powers and use strictly brb powers for our libbies. Fear of the dark is frikken lulztastic and sanguine sword if full of instagib fun. Not to mention losing wings of sanguinius would screw Mephiston. If you like to go all out with combo weapons on sternguard BA sternguard are actually cheaper.

Though on the other hand dev squads and predators would be cheaper.

I actually didn't. I mentioned aside from doing point adjustments because I figure we all pretty much know how much stuff should cost compared to Dark Angels/Space Marines. I do agree with all your points, except for adding another flyer. I'd much rather a way to get my troops into combat reliably and a fighter isn't going to do that. The combo of flakk missiles, the Storm Talon/Storm Raven, and the Hunter/Stalker would solve our AA problems.

You have a good point though. If they are going to add another unit I think another flyer is much more likely than an assault tank. Then they can give that to Grey Knights too because they need help in that department. All of the non-codex marines have their own Terminator kit. I REALLY hope we get one. The Terminators that came with Space Hulk are still my all time favorite models.

Ooh, they could do like they did with Deathwing, and give us a Terminator kit with a unique heavy weapon.  Maybe a Multi-melta or Grav-cannon?  Although I really see Blood Angels as being the chapter of the Melta and Assault Cannons, with all the fluff talking about short ranged firepower and the stock loadout of a Baal predator.

Although I'm torn between terminators and Sanguinary guard.  I love the SG models, and they are great situationaly as-is.  Terminators, I really like the slow march from a fluff perspective, but I just can't make them work for me in game.  I even converted a few DV terminators into Hammernators to get around this, and while I'm quite pleased with those models, I can't even fit them into most of the lists I like to run.

The space hulk minis are amazing sculpts.  I wish they were easier to get :( 

Wish-listing aside, I'm rather skeptical of the veracity of this alleged WD scan. The quality is too good; it doesn't look like a scan but, rather, some photoshop work. And I wonder about the Sisters of Battle digital codex having the cover art from Fantasy Flight Games' Dark Heresy Inquisitor manual.

If it is real, I expect it will just be a pure digitization of the existing codex. As Inquisitor Eisenhorn said, even if they only sell 100 copies that's pure profit so why not?

Well even if it's just a straight up digital version of the current version with zero changes, it's not really costing GW to put it up except for some small digital editing costs and itunes hosting fees.  Even if they only get 100 downloads it'll be nearly pure profit.

Good answer. I suppose there isn't much cost to them doing it and they'll make some money out of it from the people who buy it. I just thought that perhaps they wouldn't do it because anybody who wants to buy the codex would just but the physical copy in store but perhaps some people like having a digital copy of the book.

It would also give them an existing digital entry when they update the codex.  Like pre-selling, even people who have a paper copy now and never open the digital might buy it in anticipation of getting the next version as an update, rather than buying it new again.

It would also give them an existing digital entry when they update the codex.  Like pre-selling, even people who have a paper copy now and never open the digital might buy it in anticipation of getting the next version as an update, rather than buying it new again.

No chance GW would do that sadly, will be much the same as the space marine digital codex. Was replaced a year later I think.

Did anyone buy the white dwarf today and can confirm its just a direct transfer to digital?

It would also give them an existing digital entry when they update the codex. Like pre-selling, even people who have a paper copy now and never open the digital might buy it in anticipation of getting the next version as an update, rather than buying it new again.

No chance GW would do that sadly, will be much the same as the space marine digital codex. Was replaced a year later I think.

Did anyone buy the white dwarf today and can confirm its just a direct transfer to digital?

Didn't buy the White Dwarf, but I saw scans of that page. For the Blood Angels Codex they added, wait for it...

360 galleries! Joy. wallbash.gif

It would also give them an existing digital entry when they update the codex. Like pre-selling, even people who have a paper copy now and never open the digital might buy it in anticipation of getting the next version as an update, rather than buying it new again.

Didn't buy the White Dwarf, but I saw scans of that page. For the Blood Angels Codex they added, wait for it...

360 galleries! Joy. wallbash.gif

As expected then :(

Archived