[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

Here's a little bit of a thing I was pondering, basically I want the leman Russ incinerator so taking auxilia allies is the way to go. Strongly considering the storm section as the troop choice, and taking the tank commander to make the russ itself even more useful. The dilemmas come thusly, I have no qualms committing jiggery poker either losing terminators or raptors from my list and the chaplain has to say ttfn, just in this size list anyway, but where do I apply points to the troops and tank to make them snuggle into my terror list? Armoured ceramite is obviously at the fore front but I'm wondering as to people's though on prevalence of melta given I'm taking this to a tournament and I'll have no idea as to who I'll be facing. Do I risk not taking it, meaning I have points to redistribute to enhance my troop choice? Decisions!

Admittedly, I haven't been taking Ceramite on anything other than super heavies in my Auxilia list since I started playing with them.

It hasn't bitten me in the ass yet.

I feel like, while melta is a legit concern, I just don't see it enough to justify 20 pts per vehicle in taking it.

Hey guys, I was thinking of converting up our other special character, Flaymaster Madrym Llansahai  and how he would best fit in a list. 

First off he isn't inefficient for his points; his wargear works out to about the same as a normal primus medicae with similar gear, tho I think he might be about 5 or so points cheaper than the total of his items so there's that.

His melee weapon I'm not too sure of, a paragon blade at -2 str and ap 3 kind of sucks as most of the time you're not benefiting from instant death; you average .2 ID wounds per 2 attacks, so it would be almost 5 rounds of combat to get it.

No artificer armour is a bit of a killer, so you can't tank power swords or plasma fusils or ailos lanchers on him. However, for things you get your armour against, his 3+ and rerolled FNP averages 14% fail rate vs 2+ 15% (i think), so you can tank chaff on him decently.

Him being an apothecary gives the normal squad wide FNP, which lends itself to priority units such as Terminators, raptors, and blobs. Sadly the lack of terminator armour or a jump pack makes those two less attractive, but his Fear and Fearless rules really help out a blob of 20 dudes. This lets you shave off a bit from vexillas on the unit as well as never get swept by combat or be affected by seeds of dissent, while fear can help them pile onto other units easier.

I'm wondering if I missed anything else though, any other unit where he's alright rather than bad like the tac blobs

Yeah, Mawdrym's limited in where can be effective. Terror Assault is just so awesome, and he doesn't work there. A lot of new Rites of War soon though, so there'll be some developing metas to re-evaluate.

If you want to use him, maybe change things up and go for a more "traditional" Legion list? As you surmised, a Tactical blob probably gains more out of him than anything else. Fear, Fearless and Feel No Pain (5+) is pretty much a Trophies of Judgement Chaplain with a narthecium instead of Hatred. In fact, he's much like a Chaplain in how he operates - not as a beatstick but as a buffer. An Archaeotech pistol isn't terrible either, though it's a shame about the BS4.

If he was exactly like a Primus Medicae, i.e: normal Centurion stats and the Sacred Trust rule, I'd take him.

I have to say I'm really disappointed we got a second special character that, to me, is almost useless in my lists like the Flaymaster. Most of the other legions received 2 at least somewhat decent characters (IF with Sigismund and polux especially) but I just can't find a ppace for the guy. I guess the best bet would be a tactical squad?

I hope FW make up for him with another, cooler character down the road. Maybe Zso Sahaal?

Well his rules are a bit lacking, mainly the wargear, but I can understand not giving him a 2+ if they wanted to go for the reroll on the FNP. That being said, I think FW tries to offer multiple build paths for lists out of their characters in a lot of cases. Night Lords have Sevetar pushing Pride lists, Curze going well with Terror assault and Llansahai with more traditional blobs. Nice and diverse. The problem is most NL players are sucked in by the awesomeness that is Sevetar and really like the idea of Terror Assault, so traditional blob lists with a weird character seem out of place.

Iron Warriors are another decent example of this; Golg gives a more offensive version with Terminators being troops paring up well with Orbital Assault while Kyr Vahlen does the gun line really well

Well at least Llansahai is a fairly cheap source of fearless, sure he doesn't have +2 armor but I'd still feel comfortable throwing him in the back of a big terminator blob in a spartan.

Llansahai does seem to be geared a bit more towards blob lists, but compared to sevetar and curze he really doesn't add a whole lot to an army as a whole, certainly not enough to tempt me away from terror assault.

when HH was new, having bonuses to leadership like stubborn or fearless was a really, really big thing (FW have said that's why SOH Justerin are so expensive). I would imagine the reason the mad doc is kinda lackluster nowadays is because FW placed too much emphasis on his fearless ability, something that has perhaps not transitioned well as the meta has shifted.

Hey guys, had a question to pose to you. Which two knights, in your opinions, would most complement a standard terror assault list? I really like the atrapos, but don't quite know how well it would integrate with the rest of the force, as opposed to some of the others.

The great thing about knights is that you can hand choose one to fulfill a particular role thanks to the large amount of knights forgeworld has gotten. A knight lancer might help you out since terror assualt isn't all that great about MC and GC hunting. It's fast enough to keep up with the rest of the army and it doesn't have a blast weapon which means there is very little collateral damage.

An Atropos is a good idea since it gives a quite a bit of shooting for you. It can also handle terror assualt main weakness.

My personal favorite model is the Acheron. Everything's awsome about it: the name, model, and rules. It's got a chainsword to deal with armor and can handle hordes well. Unfortunately I don't think it's suited to terror assualt due to it's specialization of only killing meq.