[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

Atrapos. He actually makes use of the Occular Augmentics letting you re-roll 1s on the D Chart with Shooting due to his Lascutter being able to shoot 8" at S:D.

Couple that with S:D Melee and his Graviton Singularity Gun and he puts out quite the amount of pain. And since it can turn into a 5" Vortex, even better.

However, since Knights can't Normally be taken as LoW for Legions, that means a Questoris Knights Allied Detachment of some kind which means a minimum of 2 Knights.

At that point, I'd go for a Seneschal Atrapos for a 3++ Ionic Flare Shield to make him that much harder to kill, and a Castigator or Knight Errant Scion Martial since they're the cheapest.

Thing is, its shield on T1 reduces the Strength of all shots or results on the D Chart by -3, -2 on T2 then -1 on T3. So that makes the venators gun S7 on T1 thus unable to get a pen result vs its Av14 to force it to snap shoot which means it'll get to fire its UBER DEATH GUN Nigh-Guaranteed on T1

...which might just be all it takes to vape the Venator off the board.

On T2, the gun is S8 which glances on a 6 vs Av14, still no pen to stun-lock it.

Edited by Slipstreams

I know I need two knights, and from the sound of it he atrapos will definitely be one of them, while that 3++ *might* keep it alive. Current plan was to split the two knights, one on each flank. That way it can't kill both in one shot, though I think at least one knight will be down before they get to it. Question is, what's the other type I should run. Lancer for the improved invuln? Acheron for the garunteed melee damage?

Unless I load up on meltabomb toting suicide drop squads, but this is scuppered due to his irritating anti deep strike shenanigans (I ran a pod list before and won...he learned. He evolved!)

Any reliable flyers that might do the trick? (Short of a thunderhawk)

A Lightning Primaris might be one of the few things that can penetrate that bastard.

Second turn, a kraken penetrator will only be Str6 but will have 2d6 armor penetration with a re-roll. Not sure of the math on the probability, but four shots at a re-rolled 6+2d6 has got to be better than a maybe glance from a Venator.

Depends, Since turning an Atrapos into a Sensechal adds +50 to his cost, unless your willing to sacrifice a chunk of your Night Lords, going for a cheaper knight might be the best.

If thats not a Concern, an Acheron for its Chainfist would be a strong choice. A lancer is more suited to hunting other SHWs such as knights or GMCs no to much Doomsday Weapons on Tracks that cant fight back in CC.

You'd do just as well with a Standard Knight Errant and Reaper Chainsword at that point.

I think the lighting might be able to. It arrived turn 2 earliest then it fires all of its melta missles. The only problem I can see is that it can get taken out by the ulator.

What about drop podding some leviathans and assorted dreads next to oridantus? If you can get close enough then he won't fire without having a chance of hitting himself.

I think in terms of knights the Acheron can do well, it's fast enough that it can reach the machine fast enough. Then it has that flamer to kill any bible wrap.

Remember though! Its got like 14 hullpoints ^_^

Damn

If it isn't against forum rules, how many points does this bad boy cost?

Also instead of knights what about bringing in mecahicum? Do they have anything better in terms of anti tank.

The way to deal with this bastard is definetly CC, the only problem is getting there. If you can take this down you've crippled your opponents list.

Edited by ThatOneMarshal

With the uber bass cannon of doom, 1k+

This isnt so much killing tanks as much as it is killin Titans. Its in the same realm.

Edited by Slipstreams

I think two leviathans in pods just with 2 siege drills each might be one of the best ways to take that beast down. 10 s10 armorbane attacks causing 2 hp of damage per wound is gonna hurt. Small chance of killing it just with two leviathans, but it will almost do the job. Back then up with a kraken missiles lightning and you're probably set.

Apologies if I've missed this somewhere in here, but was wondering what peoples opinions were on including Curze in a list, specifically on whether or not to use Terror Assault with him. I don't particularly want a drop pod army so claw assault wouldn't be of any benefit to me, and the only real advantage I'd have is the possibility of getting Night Fighting for 3 turns. However, as with Curze you get Night Fighting first turn anyway, I feel the only thing I'd be paying the Terror Squad tax for is the chance to continue it for another 2 turns. I can't see any other advantages, and I'd prefer to have one or two terror squads and spend the points elsewhere, even possibly using the pride RoW to free up elite slots or no RoW and making a more mixed force.

Curze is the perfect balance of personal prowess and army-wide buffer. He is a force multiplier for Terror Assault in particular! The compulsory Terror Squads have Fear and his Sire of the Night Lords rule boosts that. Having guaranteed Night Fighting just secures the benefits for everyone.

Also make sure you check the FAQ as it adds a lot of stuff to Night Lords - Terror Squads & Sevatar gain Precision Strikes & Precision Shots, Terror Assault is easier to continue and it grants Initiative & Run boosts.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

Thing with curze is though, his buffs are really nice for terror squads. Extra -1LD for fear tests is pretty handy. Sure you're not using your +2 night fight roll, but the other bonuses for terror assault make running curze in that RoW well worth it. He of course doesn't have to be run in terror assault, he'll do just fine in any list, he just happens to fit in terror assault very well.

Remembered about the run boost but totally forgot about the +1 initiative which is pretty awesome. And I'm not denying the effectiveness of Terror Squads at all, they're great at what they do and like you say Curze makes them better with the -1 to Ld for fear tests. But Terror squads can be used outside of the RoW with Curze, in essence I just don't feel like you actually lose anything by not taking it as continuing night fighting isn't guaranteed (second turn being only half the time, and third turn a very small chance), and in fact have more points to play with which you're not spending on the third or even second Terror squad (I'd take at least one regardless) and opening up the heavy support slots up to boot.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that the RoW is bad, more that its a bit limiting what I want to do with my own force.

Edit: Just spotted that after I posted Asvaldir. Thats really what I was considering (in a bit of an over explained roundabout way :P) is whether Curze and Terror squads can be effective enough outside of Terror Assault.

Edited by Loddfafnir113

Well of course they can be, you can't really go wrong with taking a primarch and terror squads don't have to be troop choices to be good, you're just got to have an awfully crowded elite slot if you want to take more than one terror squad, which is why I like taking terror assault or pride of the Legion- frees up more elite slots.

Guys just letting you know technically you still need to roll the 2+ to have the ability to continue the night.

"The force may Impose Night Fighting....on a d6 roll of a 2+. Night Fighting imposed in this manner carries on to the second turn...and on to the third turn"

The key part is having to impose it in the manner described and Curze's choosing isn't that manner 

Hello fellow night lords, I come with questions once again. I recently got BAC for Christmas which really helps to great a noce core for a terror assualt list. So far the only thing in the box which I'm not sure how to run is the terminators. How do you guys run them? I'm thinking of deepstrikijg them on a sevater beacon. How many do you guys run, what melee weapons, and do you think that using them all with combi weapons as a close shooting unit would be good?

On another note anyone know what to run the chaplain and terminator commander as? I've already got a chaplain so I won't need him however I love the sculpt. Any ideas?

I picked up 2 Calth boxes because 5 terminators wasn't enough, I've 5 with combi melta and power swords, 2 bolter and axes, 2 bolter and chainfist and sergeant has bolter and glaive. The unit has a transponder for deepstrike action. Running terror you hope you can get them in turn 2 to get a turn 3 charge on something (point them at whatever is carrying something that you want to die)(also hoping night fighting runs 3 turns however unlikely that is)

Running a slightly converted Calth captain with them with paragon blade and transponder.

And as for the chaplain man, whichever character suits your current list best if you want a second HQ. Jump pack toting chappy to go with raptors, that kind of thing. Though I've not used the Calth one for that.

He just sits waiting lonely on his sprue

I like combi-plasma & plasma blasters on Terminators - works a treat with Teleportation Transponders! Bampf next to a juicy target, rapid fire AP2 goodness and then murder something next round in Assault.

Power axes are free and with a full squad you will probably wound on a 2+ with them thanks to Talent for Murder. :) Not a bad idea to have a couple of chainfists in there though.