[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

It's nice they replied about the colour scheme, you'd think they'd have used their own brand paint however :laugh.:

Well, do you remember the action to the GW-only paints they had posted for the four Betrayal Legions?

All I remember is a bunch of:

"It sucks. It comes out nothing like what was at Games Day!"

"That paint scheme looks ugly! What was Forgeworld thinking using GW paints?"

"Guys, you just have to use it right."

"No, it sucks and you suck for defending it!"

So yeah. I can definitely understand the need for distance given that.

My blue recipe in case anyone cares:

1. Army Painter Black Primer

2. 15:1 mix of VMA French Blue/VGC Black airbrushed from top down to 45° angle to created shadows

3. Nuln Oil wash

4. Edge highlight with VGC Magic Blue (thin it down and add retarder to allow you to do thin lines and keep it from clumping on your brush) 

bam! take that FW

I do care Brother....I do.

My red used to depend heavily on inks, to get a bit of a gloss and some transparency, I'm going to try something like that for my Night Lords (in blue of course) but I dont have a blue ink currently.

Might NL jetbike/bike command squads be able to take down those nasty firedrakes/termiestars?

They aren't by any means in the all star league as they dont posses a 2+/3++, but they do have going for them a few things.

Lets kit them out with 5 guys total, 5 jetbikes, 5 nostraman chainglaives, and 5 combat shields

You have going for you: Fearless (till banner dies), rending cc weapon attacks at initiative, 5+ invuln in cc (drakes can't overwatch anyway or shoot), and you have talent for murder as well since bikes count as very bulky. Also all guys have WS5 and arti armor.

The trick is to draw out the termiestar and harass it with heavy bolter fire to force lots of 2+ saves which will eventually fail, then choose the moment to charge so you can get the +1 attack and hopefully get the rending attacks, if not just forcing more saves.

They are no slouch either in defense as they have T5 and 5+ invuln.

How do you guys also see talent for murder and challenges? If the NL is still in a bigger squad do they get it? Or is it based between the two challenging models?

Not tactics I know but I've just come across the bits from my Kroot squad. Lot's of bits of bone, wicked looking knives, etc. Putting together my first four terror squad guys. No idea if it'll look stupid until it's painted (probably take a month each at my pace).

Sorry if this was answered before, but NL RoW says that Terror Squads are compulsory troops, does this mean that I have to take three terror squads to fill troops slots? Can I take just three tacticals and skip terror squads?

Also, what are your opinions on recon squads, are 5-man squads in power armor, camo cloaks and sniper rifles useful? I love recon models, but squad costs something like 170 points.

No, compulsory troops are troops you have to take as part of your list, if you use the RoW. And since it makes the Terror Squads our only compulsory troops, we have to take three in any list that uses the Terror Assault RoW.

Fraid not. If you want to use the Terror Assault RoW, that means 3 compulsory troop choices and that means they MUST be Terror Squads. The other 3 choices are fair game if you want to use them but there has to be those 3 in there to begin. 

As for recon squads, I could certainly see a use for them, especially in a Terror Assault army. Plenty of infiltrating/outflanking troops and with a vox onboard for those lovely Deep striking terminator blobs.....

• 1 month later...

Seems like it would be a free switch to me...*scratches head*

Also, I've got an 1850 casual tournament at my local games workshop coming up on January 11th and am trying to make my Night lords work in a heresy list without breaking my bank (the tourney official is cool with me running a heresy list in a "modern" tournament).

My inventory: about 56ish chaos and loyalist marines, 15 raptor jump packs, a rhino, 5 chaos raptors, and some spare heavy weapons...What do you guys think I can do with that?? I was thinking about maybe going with three squads of terrors and then two squads of night raptors for that Night Lord themed list with some heavy support havocs in tow. 

But what would you guys think would work with that list?? I dont know if I'll have time to buy volkites for the terror squads and like I said, I cant break the bank. Also, I would like to keep the models somewhat comparable to Chaos Marines and Blood Angels in case people don't want to fight heresy Night Lords so they'll need to be able to be represented as such. 

Hope you guys can help,

-Ifrit

I think you might be able to pull it off. What you can do for the volkites is just sub plasma weapons and to make it easy, just make one terror squad your shooting squad and have the other two pull CC duty and have all three work in concert with each other.

That way if you switch to Chaos, just switch the plasmas with some other dudes and viola you have CSM squads.

Not sure how to make it BA since the list wouldn't be Assault Squad oriented.

Hey guys,

What do you think of this for a 2k NL Rite of War list:

Praetor - Cataphractii, Paragon Blade, Combi-melta, Digi-lasers, Grenade Harness, Trophies - 192

Librarian - Artificer Armour, Refractor Field, Force Weapon, Meltabombs, ML2 (Telepathy) - 160

Mortis Contemptor - 2x Kheres - 180

Mortis Contemptor - 2x TLLC - 185

Terminator Squad x5 - Cataphractii, Sgt with Nostraman Chainglave, Combi-melta, Grenade Harness, 1x Reaper Autocannon, 1x Chainfist, Teleportation - 217

Terror Squad x10 - Chainglave, AA, Meltabombs, All with Boltguns - 245

Terror Squad x10 - Chainglave, AA, Meltabombs, All with Boltguns - 245

Terror Squad x10 - Chainglave, AA, Meltabombs, All with Volkite Chargers - 275

Night Raptors x10 - AA, Chainglaves x4 (incl Sgt) - 305

2004 pts if my math is any good. Not much AA, but that seems to be a problem with the NL RoW lists in general.

Just a little scratch NL Terror Assault list off the top of my head (with some minor adjustments for points limits.

Sevatar  (accompanies 9-strong Terror Squad)

- Rite: Terror Assault

Legion Centurion   
- Moritat
- artificer armour, jump pack, refractor field, trophies of judgment

Terror Squad  
- 9 Executioners, Headsman
- 9 Volkite chargers
- Nostraman chainglaive

Terror Squad     
- 9 Executioners, Headsman
- 9 Volkite chargers
- Nostraman chainglaive

Terror Squad     
- 8 Executioners, Headsman
- 2 heavy chainblades
- Nostraman chainglaive
Drop Pod       
- dedicate transport

Legion Tactical Squad   (rides in Stormeagle)
- 19 SMs, Sgt.
- Nuncio-vox, additional close combat weapons
- power weapon

Legion Terminator Squad  
- 4 Terminators, Sgt.
- Deep Strike
- plasma blaster, 1 lightning claw
- 2 chainfists, 4 combi-weapons

Legion Destroyer Squad  
- 9 Destroyers, Sgt.
- jump packs
- 2 missile launchers, power weapon, 2 phosphex bombs

Legion Storm Eagle Gunship 

Legion Fire Raptor 
- armoured ceramite, reaper battery

Not sure how effective it would be, but it looks like fun. The Destroyer squad would start in reserve, along with the Stormeagle Tac squad & Termi squad. Use Sevatar & the three Terror squads to pick on a key unit, and then bring in the rest to take advantage of A Talent For Murder. The Fire Raptor is there as general fire support, plus I liked the thought of a pair of NL flyers joining the fray once the enemy is suitably fearful. 

I suppose I could also use the Destroyer squad to help soften up a taget for on of the Terror squads with their rad grenades, and then gang up on it. Lastly, combi-meltas for termis for that anti-armour hit. I will, however, be largely relying on dealing with infantry, and any armour kills will be a bonus.

EDIT: This list clocks in at a single tick over 2.5k points, so could be easily trimmed for 2k, or added to (more termis!) for 3k.

Edited by Sgt. Cotys

• 3 months later...

try outfitting the Terror squads with a mix of melee weapons and close range guns, using infiltrate to get in range quickly (or a dread claw drop pod). I'd add a 20 man assault squad for larger games to take advantage of the +1 TW and a destroyer squad to soften things up for other units.