[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

I think you've missed something there Hesh. Medusas are Strength 10, AP2, Ordnance, Large Blast, Barrage. A Large Blast at BS4 will hit a Spartan pretty easily. Barrage automatically hits side armour and flare shields only work on front armour. Also, because of Ordnance you get to roll 2 dice and choose the highest for Penetration. 4+ to glance (almost guaranteed on 2 dice), 5+ to penetrate (66% chance), with a +1 on the vehicle damage table. They have the potential for some serious hurt against vehicles, not to mention every infantry unit out there. I'll admit I'm biased though - they seem cool!

But you're right about the Deredeo; it covers a lot of bases. :)

Thing about th Flare Shield is that its from shots fired at its Front Arc. So, to me, that mean that even if barrage hits the side armor, if it was shot in the Spartans Front Arc it still gets reduced.

I'm a bit surprised at that reasoning. That means that an argument could therefore be made that 'Barrage weapons hit vehicles in the side armour' is a completely pointless rule then - it would make that aspect of the rule completely redundant. :/

Surely this has come up in the rules forums before - I'll try and look into it.

I'm a bit surprised at that reasoning. That means that an argument could therefore be made that 'Barrage weapons hit vehicles in the side armour' is a completely pointless rule then - it would make that aspect of the rule completely redundant. :/

I mean, its only the case vs a Vehicle With access to Flare Shields; The Spartan and the Dracosan (theres also the Flares on Flyers but they wont really get shot by Medusas unless in hover). So its not that big of a Deal

Edited by Slipstreams

Barrage hits the side. The flare shield reduces S of shot when hitting Front armour

"A flare shield operares against shooting attacks that stike the vehicle's front arc"

You aren't striking the front arc, you are striking the side arc (well top arc).

The problem with the medusa is it isn't very good at disabiling a spartan. It has a 5 in 9 chance to pen, 1 in 3 chance to disable (immobilise or destroy). So a 5 in 27 chance, or ~18.5% chance to do its job with 1 shot. A spartan only really needs 1 turn to do its job, so if you are relying on a 6+ to disable a deathstar, might want to rethink that plan.

The HS slot is better spent doing what it can do better than any other slot, Anti Air. Anti tank can be done with rapiers but HS has access to Deredeos and Fire Raptors. The AA options in fast and Elite are poor.

I mean, its only the case vs a Vehicle With access to Flare Shields; The Spartan and the Dracosan (theres also the Flares on Flyers but they wont really get shot by Medusas unless in hover). So its not that big of a Deal
You're right, it's a pretty specific circumstance. However, after looking into it, I've found plenty of other discussions about it here and elsewhere. Also, people have had confirmation emails from Forgeworld stating that Barrage bypasses Flare Shields. I'm just glad because I was excited about fielding them! And I understand that they might not be optimal, but 3 of them will ruin a Spartan's day and continue to raun hell on everything else afterwards! Edited by Caillum

I mean, its only the case vs a Vehicle With access to Flare Shields; The Spartan and the Dracosan (theres also the Flares on Flyers but they wont really get shot by Medusas unless in hover). So its not that big of a Deal
You're right, it's a pretty specific circumstance. However, after looking into it, I've found plenty of other discussions about it here and elsewhere. Also, people have had confirmation emails from Forgeworld stating that Barrage bypasses Flare Shields. I'm just glad because I was excited about fielding them! And I understand that they might not be optimal, but 3 of them will ruin a Spartan's day and continue to raun hell on everything else afterwards!

In that case, its all good.

Also, if you ever face a Horde Army, bring a Siege Breaker alongside your Medusas mmmm Phosphex.. Coincidentally, its also good vs TEQ Armies due to it being Ap2 Fire that sticks around afterwards.

Holla

Can you all give me tips on what to bring for 1000 pts night lords?

I brainstorm myself a list,this is a very old one

•                HQ (110pts)
    • Legion Centurion (110pts)

Artificer Armour, Nostraman Chainglaive

Consul, Independent Character, Legiones Astartes

• Consul

Chaplain

Zealot

• Troops (300pts)
    • Legion Tactical Squad (150pts)

9x Legion Tactical Space Marines

Fury of the Legion, Legiones Astartes

• Legion Tactical Squad (150pts)

9x Legion Tactical Space Marines

Fury of the Legion, Legiones Astartes

• Elites (290pts)
    • Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts)

Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons

Atomantic Shielding, Helical Targeting Array

• Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (55pts)
      • Legion Rapier Weapons Battery

Laser Destroyer Array

Extremely Bulky, Legiones Astartes

• Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (55pts)
      • Legion Rapier Weapons Battery

Laser Destroyer Array

Extremely Bulky, Legiones Astartes

• Fast Attack (300pts)
    • Night Raptor Squad (300pts)

10x Night Raptor

Legiones Astartes, Onslaught

• Huntmaster

Artificer Armour, Pair of Lightning Claws                     

Hard to judge for a couple of reasons. 

First off is that we don't know the meta you play in, whether tanks or infantry or flyers are most dominant.

Second (this can tie into the first), is the points level. FW suggests 1750 as the minimum, so people tend to make that the smallest amount and build from there; its hard to say what's optimal in a 1000 point HH list.

As for the list itself; where do you see the chaplain going? He would really buff the Raptors, but he doesn't have a jump pack, leaving the ccw-less tac squads where he won't be as effective.

I'd suggest giving everyone melta bombs who can take it to start, as they're immense value for 5pts 

• 3 weeks later...

Night Lords are one of the few Legions that can purchase Teleportation Transponders for their Terminators. So yes, they can do PotL pretty well with Terminators! Sevatar has a special rule that means Terminators do not scatter when they Deep Strike near him, so he would be a pretty good choice, especially given he's a beast in combat too!

Also, the Legion special rule for Night Lords is "A Talent for Murder", which means that if your unit outnumbers your opponent's unit in CC, you get +1 to Wound!. Bulky models count as 2, Very Bulky as 3. This helps Terminators more than Veterans, as a squad of 10 will count as 20, meaning you have a good chance of outnumbering the opponent. Power axes (which you can choose for free) will then wound MEQs on a 2+!

Check these threads for more:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/308053-pride-of-the-legion-row/

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/299162-terminator-wing-armies/

Has anyone considered a Sevatar pinpoint strike list? Take the Terror assault list and infiltrate him into a favorable position with Terror squads. Then have terminator squads with a lot of combi plas or melta drop in to kill special units.

Yeah, you'd have to put him in a Spartan or Land Raider and rush it forward to whatever position you need to Deep Strike to. That tends to be a pretty cut-and-dry tactic with Spartans though.

His "Master of the Atramentar" ability is also a bonus in Terror Assault lists, as you won't likely have any Tactical Squads with a nuncio-vox. With Terror Squads having such good anti-infantry capabilities, your Terminators can focus on anti-Terminator or anti-armour.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the limitation of one heavy support slot if you take the rite of war, might it be a good idea to take a Xiphon interceptor?

Pros:

Lots of ranged AT

Quick and mobile like rest of force

Looks great in midnight clad ;)

Cons:

200 points

Dependent on reserve rolls

The only major issue I see with the Xiphon is that won't be on the board to start killing tanks as it needs to be.

Yea as someone who has a xiphon (counts as) and has used it a fair bunch, its quite annoying to not have  the 2 twinlinked strafing run lascannons and 2 xiphon missiles to trouble shoot on turn one. I have also failed 80% of the 3+ jink saves in my last few games so that sucks too :(  

• 1 month later...

Hella bump.

Are Nostraman Chainglaives worth the points, or is it generally better to take other options? i.e, Power Fist over CG, Power Weapon over CG, Lightning Claw over CG, etc.

I'm not expecting to run into many people with a lot of 2+, however I can swap them out if need be. Here's the list as it stands at the moment, sans any official characters due to store rules.

HQ

- Irkhan Cziraky, 'the Torturer' (Legion Praetor) - 190pts - Master of the Legion: Terror Assault, Artificer Armour, Jump Pack, Iron Halo, Trophies of Judgement, Digital Lasers, Paragon Blade

Elites

- Apothecarian Detachment - 195pts - x3 Legion Apothecary (Artificer Armour, Power Sword)

Troops

- Terror Squad Andras - 283pts - Headsman (/w Artificer Armour & Nostraman Chainglaive), x9 Executioners (x9 Boltguns, x1 Flamer), Dedicated Transport: Legion Drop Pod

- Terror Squad Tamas - 283pts - Headsman (/w Artificer Armour & Nostraman Chainglaive), x9 Executioners (x9 Boltguns, x1 Flamer), Dedicated Transport: Legion Drop Pod

- Terror Squad Tepes - 283pts - Headsman (/w Artificer Armour & Nostraman Chainglaive), x9 Executioners (x9 Boltguns, x1 Flamer), Dedicated Transport: Legion Drop Pod

Fast Attack

- Legion Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron - 295pts - Sky Hunter Sergeant (/w Power Fist), x6 Space Marine Sky Hunters (/w Multi-Melta & Plasma Cannon)

- Legion Storm Eagle Assault Gunship - 250pts - Two Twin-linked Lascannons

- Raptor Squad Akhad (Night Raptor Squad) - 370pts - Huntmaster (/w Artificer Armour & Nostraman Chainglaive), x9 Night Raptors (/w Flamer and x9 Nostraman Chainglaives)

Heavy Support

- Ancient Berzenyi (Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought) - 255pts - Aiolos Missile Launcher, Single twin-linked Hellfire Plasma Cannonade

- Legion Heavy Support Squad - 362pts - Legion Sergeant (/w Artificer Armour & Nostraman Chainglaive), x8 Legion Space Marines (/w Volkite Culverin), Dedicated Transport: Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier (Auxiliary Drive)

- Legion Sicaran Battle Tank - 185pts - Auxiliary Drive, Lascannons

Total Points; 2951pts

I'm thinking I should run something different in the Terror Squads; possibly a Heavy Chainblade or the addition of a Rotor Cannon/Volkite Charger, however there are other options in the list that are more than suitable for dealing with armour, leaving the infantry to mass objectives and counter where needed.

Unfortunately, Terror Assault has a maximum of 1 Heavy Support choice.

On another note - I too have looked at bolters for my Terror Squads before. If you decide to run them like that, give your Apothecaries augury scanners for pseudo-Interceptor!

And rotor cannons on an assault unit are pretty crap. :/

Hm, I'll drop it down to one HS choice in that case. BattleScribe usually remembers to inform you if you've gone over the limit on something, so they've either missed that or it was errata'd in one of the red books. 

I have enough points left over to give the Apothecaries augs so aye, I'll do that. It's disappointing that they don't have more weapons choices for CQC; a power weapon is nice, however I wouldn't have minded a Power Fist on the apothecaries at least. :s

Apothecaries only have 1 attack, so paying 10 points for a power sword on them is kinda sub-optimal - you pay the same price on a Terror Squad Headsman, who has 2 attacks, and it can be any power weapon. An Apothecary's job is to keep your stuff alive, not kill things.

So you can't take any special characters, like Curze? He makes Terror Assault really shine. Failing that, what about other Lords of War? A Typhon will replace those tanks pretty nicely.

Edit: volkite chargers are strictly better than bolters. Choom! is reason enough, but the damage output per point spent is excellent.

Edited by Caillum

Under 5k games we don't allow any of the named characters from the books. That's per person, mind you. Even if we have multi-player games where each team has x number of total points then the rule still applies. iirc, it's mostly Horus and Lorgar that brought that on, and some people wanted to be able to develop stories for their characters based off of the games we held.

I'll drop the sword from the apothecaries and fit in a few Chargers on the Terror Squads. I'm not sure what I'll drop from HS (probably the Sicaran and Deredeo?) and take the Typhon as you suggested.