[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

You sure can! Great when you can make it work, but there's always limitations to this sort of thing:

- if you're taking a Drop Pod, you have to drop an Executioner to make an Apothecary fit, which lowers your damage output.

- uses an Elite slot to outfit your 3 compulsory Troops in Terror Assault with them. With only 1 Heavy Support, Elites are often premium!

- costs a lot of points for a 9- or 10-man squad of MEQs to gain FnP, which has varying ROI given the amount of Strength 8 out there.

Still, they are lucky to have the option. If you plan on Infiltrating them, Apothecaries can be a great addition; they can take a Volkite charger like the Terror Squads, bumping up the units shooting output, and an augury scanner to protect against the opponents Infiltrators. :)

Book 1 is now outdated with regards to Legion rules, which is a shame as it's awesome in every other respect! The most up-to-date rules are found in the "Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List" and "Legiones Astartes Isstvan Campaign Legions". They come as a pair of "Red Books" for £50.

In the Apothecary section of the first one, it lists the units they can join, and says any new units that are released will specify if they can have an Apothecary (though nothing has to date).

Anyone had much fun with Terror squads armed with Heavy Chainblades? I'm making a unit for fun as well as two more units with Volkites. 

Thats one of the best things of these new plastics, plenty of opportunity to experiment :P

Hitting on a 4+ with a reroll, wounding on a 2+ with a reroll on 1's means they're pretty good, but the lack of AP can be a pain.

They could be a decent Alpha Strike, but the lack on AP3 means that they're severely hamstrung against anything not Militia based (and then S6 is wasted anyway). No matter how many wounds you cause, only 1 in every 3 gets through the MEQ plate.

I've crunched the numbers on heavy chainswords. Apart from a massive modelling cost, they come out as the least efficient. Volkite is the best, as you still have 4 attacks per model on the charge. If they had a cheap way to model them with heavy chainswords, I might just do a unit for the awesomeness. But until they do I'll stick with the choom.

If you could have both it would be awesome, I actually played a game where I took both by accident (didn't read the selection well enough and needed to fill points) and let me tell you, nothing survives getting shot then charged by volkite+heavy chainblade Terror sqauds

It's been a bit quiet for a while, so it dropped down the list.

As for heavy chainswords on Terror Squads - my issue with them is they'll never get the +1 to wound from Talent for Murder, given you're already wounding MEQs on 2's. Pick your Assaults well and your combat blades will wound on a 3+, re-rolling 1's, which isn't much worse. Add a volley of Volkite before Assaulting, and you're getting a decent number of kills!

But rule of cool! If anyone has a good way to convert them, let us all know! :)

So here's something I've been wondering: how well can the nigt lords do other playstyels besides terror assualt? I know that we can probalby do a pride of the legion terminator force well due to deep striking however what else can we do well? I was thinking of running maybe an infantry horde list (I'm well aware that it's scorpius/ typhon bait) and maybe abusing talent for murder. How well do you think we can an armored list, though we don't give any bonuses to vehicles? I love terror assualt as much as the other lunatic in our legion of ours but one thing I was told about the heresy is that every legion can do almost any playstyle though I do understand that it doesn't translate into effectiveness.

Orbital Assault or Armoured Speahead would be ok, as they're primarily an Assault-based Legion. Think World Eaters Despoilers in Kharybdis Assault Claws or Spartans. Take Curze for his Fear buff, 3 Chaplains with "Trophies of Judgement" and roll over your opponent with accurate, +1 to-wound attacks! Here's something crazy I whipped up...

HQ

Chaplain: Void Shield Harness; artificer armour; bolt pistol; melta bombs; refractor field; Trophies of Judgement; jump pack 175

Chaplain: artificer armour; bolt pistol; melta bombs; refractor field; Trophies of Judgement 115

Chaplain: artificer armour; bolt pistol; melta bombs; refractor field; Trophies of Judgement 115

TROOPS

19 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; + 1 Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power weapon; melta bombs) 275

19 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; + 1 Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power weapon; melta bombs) 275

FAST ATTACK

4 Night Raptors: 2× chainsword; 2× power weapon; meltagun; + 1 Huntmaster (artificer armour; bolt pistol; Nostraman chainglaive; melta bombs) 210

HEAVY SUPPORT

Spartan Assault Tank: armoured ceramite; flare shield 340

Spartan Assault Tank: armoured ceramite; flare shield 340

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought: Aiolos missile launcher 220

LORDS OF WAR

Konrad Curze: Armoured Spearhead

2,500 points

Hey guys, just wanted to ask something real quick

Can Sevatar use force? He is a psyker, so by definition doesn't he have that power as standard?

I don't think he can, considering that he doesn't have a force weapon.

And now I reeeeaaaallly want to make a force-chain-glaive... But I think you're right. Damn :/

Just "Precognition". But he doesn't have a Force weapon so doesn't get "Force".

It's interesting to note that according to RAW, he also gets "Prescience" due to Psychic Focus. Unlikely that he'll manifest it though.

He does not generate powers he has it already selected for him, so he cannot get Primaris.

Generating powers is rolling off the table. He doesn't roll on any table, it is selected.

But with psychic focus, you don't need to roll. If all of a psykers' powers are off the same table, which for him, as he only has one power, they are, he gets the primaris without rolling. RAW

I think it comes down to the word "generate". It doesn't explicitly say that automatically having a power will cause you to be ineligible for Psychic Focus. Not a dicussion for this thread though - we should bring it up in Rules.

Speaking of Sevatar, do people run him? Hesh did a great post about him here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/303883-the-conundrum-of-sevatar/

If people do run him, what unit do you put him in? Is teleporting Terminators a good enough bonus?

I run him in any and all casual games I play, but if it's more competitive...he doesn't always make it.

I've had reasonable success putting him in an 8man terror squad with apoc, and using a dreadclaw to drop first turn, then have precise termi squad drops near him as he emerges in the next turn. If you position him right, the no scatter for terminators can be really useful, but until he finds a character to kill he can be underwhelming.