VIII Legion by Alan - back from the warp

nhaunter

Well thats way I still consider it hobby first winning second. Everyone takes from it the parrt they enjoy them most. For someone it is painting and modelling, someone is WAAC, someone likes the fluff... For me, deffinetely, "artistic" part and fluffy, "cinematic" battles are way to go.

@Forte - well I consider myself "old" type of player when everything was much more simplier, no need for that "uuhh we need FAQ on that" debate or 10-20 pages on internet forum discussion about some rule while anybody sane enough can figure out what was intention but someone just likes to search for a holes in a wording. No I dont think that FAQ are bad, for some things they are needed but mostly, definetely no.

Considering I started playing the day 3rd edition came out, I can understand the sentiment. Not to jam up the thread, but I think it's just because warhammer (40k in particular) has grown so much larger than it was 15 years ago. 

You still have the "garage gamer" camp of folks who get together to play with very little concern for hammering the exact meaning out of the rules. But now you also have an entirely different group that are much more competitive and tournament savvy. It's this group that I think is just so much larger and more visible in the hobby now. They *HAVE* to hammer out those rules meanings b/c they never know when it might crop up and cause them problems in a tournament with a lot riding on it.

Don't get me wrong... I still think those folks are hella silly ^_^

@Flint13- I totally agree with you and your statements above. Also you dont jam thread I really like talking about all aspects of our hobby and share opinions. I consider my topic as my little place on internet where I can show my various ideas and views on hobby in general, be it gaming, philosophy :D or something other connected with it (loosely or tightly).

Everybody Happy New Year, I wish you and your families  good health, everything else can be acquired but good health is most precious thing in the world.

@Dorns_fist - Thank you very much.

OK I have a question for you to help me clear something that arose few nights ago during game against Grey Knights.

Those Grey Knights weapons that wound on 4+ (I think it is 4+) daemons, how do they wound daemonic engines like forgefiends, heldrakes etc.

Short answer, they don't. I can page through the GK codex and give you a specific page number if you'd like, but the gist of it is anything that has a special effect that includes "to wound" (think poison, fleshbane etc) has no special effect on vehicles. While helldrakes and the fiends are "technically" daemons for special rules purposes, they don't suffer any special rules that effect only models with a toughness value. 

@Flint13 - Well I was thinking also like that but when I was speaking with my Grey Knight friend (player not real GK :D ) he wasnt sure and we couldnt find anything about it and totally forgot about to wound effects dont work on AV vehicles.

Anyway thank you for reply, I really wanted to be sure because my friend didnt want to shoot with Psilencers on my daemon vehicles because he wasnt sure about procedure and my brain also failed stupidity test :D .

• 2 weeks later...

Well time certainly fly in warp.

I had so much misfortune these days that I even thought I wont be able to finish my oath. My camera card decided to stop working trough laptop smart card reader, I reinstalled W7 and my sound card went dead, I couldnt transfer pics from camera because card problem and couldnt find cable (who needs cable when you have card reader and Bluetooth, correct? :D ), but my lovely wife managed to find cable somewhere in outer dimensions of our underbeds so I give you first update on Raptors and Dreadnought.

gallery_42405_9040_1012342.jpg

I really love those models (although the one that came out before these were much better) but the problem is I dont like flaming feet and they are metal so hello "old school drilling, cutting and sawing" like in 90s :D.

gallery_42405_9040_334318.jpg

Starter box dreadnought with rebuilt feet (I lost base with his feet :D), and attached lascannon and some minor modifications.

I want go too much into details since I just came from the work and I have to go paint them to be able to finish them before deadline.

I will try to post second update during night if I manage to finish them and of course if sleep doesnt ambush me while I paint :D .

Nice! I *love* those older raptor models, especially the jump packs. They look like they're coming along quite well. 

The dreadnought is a little fuzzy, but I like the start of that banner so far. 

We just had a big discussion on the ease of converting plastic and resin as opposed to old school metal over in my thread. Apparently mine is like the 'go to' thread for plastic Nightlord kitbashing. My hat is off to you, for putting so much effort into making those metal raptors look gorgeous!

@Well I dont have anything against plastic models for converting, it so damn easier to do it, but metal brings up nostalgia and you can hardly battle nostalgia :D.

I been in the shadows in your topic and you are doing great job. Maybe I should commission you when I complete my army to write some of your fantastic background for main pieces of my army. Those sentences in your description are nothing short of amazing, they add so much and one can clearly see that you enjoy hobby.

@Failcast is very very strange material. I just saw Eldar Harlequins in that medium and it looks so fragile and bendy although I must be honest and say that cast is great and I didnt saw any flaws except on sword which was little sideways.

I think I can make it, I a bit short with time since tomorrow morning I go with my son to the playground and I have to go to the work at 14:30 and return home at 23:30, but not much work left.

@deathsceptersgt7 Well you should consider a bit shorter nick :D

Well I repositioned them so they are standing, and I have that banner space for freehand so I am eager t put something there. I really enjoy freehanding on my models, you have opportunity to bring something special with those areas.

So small wordy update, I am done with base colors on dread and raptors, tomorrow morning I plan to get up a bit earlier to finish shading, highlights and details and then to finish some freehand on rhino and done, vow completed.

Ok dear followers and unsubscribed visitors I am pretty tired and my back hurts so it is time for a good night and see you in the morning.

Let's be honest... I'm just kinda a drama queen and I made it work for me by turning into fluff for a dramatic universe ^_^

Thanks buddy! Come say hi in my thread once in awhile.

I too love the old metal raptors, so much so that I went and bought about 20 off of ebay immediately after they ceased production haha. They look much better now that they don't have those stupid flaming things on their feet. The dread looks pretty intimidating too, keep it up.

• @Tanith Ghost - well yes I think lot better "grounded" but it was real problem repositioning claws, some of them even snapped, but yes it was worth it. Dread has range weapon arm magnetised and one raptor has also his wrist magnetized to switch between flamer, pistol or melta depending on configuration I play.

I do really like the raptors with the "grounded" look. They look much more predatory, like they are stalking over broken terrain, hunting for new prey.

One tiny criticism, however. I'd try a wash or two on the face of the unhelmeted raptor. He looks a little flat at the moment. 

Greetings from my workplace, I didnt managed to finish everything before I went for my work so I have around half an hour or 45 minutes to complete everything tonight when I get home. Only left are white highlights on lightnings and orange color on the metal scrap on bases.

This will be definitely last sec completion.

@Flint13 - well this was taken before shading and highlights so it is not so strange that he looks flat:D I usually leave faces and skin tones last because it is much more easier to correct them than armor or clothes etc.

@Koriel - Thank you very much, yes I think that banner is from beastmen box.

I am home in a 30 minutes, my wife has prepared for me everything for painting (clean water for brushes, beer for me, dinner will come after I finish).

One thing that bothers me is taking photos under artificial lights, they come up "muddy and yellowish" on my camera (and they told me buy BenQ camera you will save money and it will last long, who needs more than 4 Mpixels :D).

Archived