3000 Imperial Fists Siege Assault List

TemujinZero

This is a very straightforward sledgehammer list using the new Onslaught optional force organisation chart.  This gives me an extra Heavy Support, Elite and Lord of War choice, in exchange for always going second and dropping two Troops choices, one Fast Attack choice and removing the option of fortifications and allies.

When I started building my Imperial Fists, I was using the Siege Assault Vanguard list from the Badab War books, which had squadrons of Vindicators (and Breacher Squads with good rules).  Moving to the Crusade Legion list meant that I had to ditch these squadrons, but I can now field all of my Vindicators using this new FOC, so I put together a themed list with all of my backfield units cut out and two Land Raiders for screening and to maximize the threat overload that the enemy is going to feel when everything charges towards them.

HQ

Praetor   Paragon Blade, Iron Halo, Rite of War: Pride of the Legion   150

Master of Signals   Artificer Armour, Refractor Field, Power Sword   120

Forge Lord  Refractor Field, Power Axe, Rad Grenades   120

Command Squad   Two Additional, Charnabal Sabres, Land Raider Phobos, Armoured Ceramite   435

Elites

Mortis Dreadnought   Two Twin-linked Lascannons, Two Hunter Killer Missiles   175

Two Dreadnoughts   Flamestorm Cannons, Graviton Guns   310

Troops

Veteran Tactical Squad   Five Additional, Melta Bombs, Two Power Weapons, Two Melta Guns, Power Fist, Artificer Armour, Combi-Melta, Fearless, Rhino   345

Veteran Tactical Squad   Five Additional, Melta Bombs, Two Power Weapons, Two Plasma Guns, Power Fist, Artificer Armour, Combi-Plasma, Fearless, Rhino   345

Terminator Squad   Combi-Plasmas, Four Power Fists, Land Raider Phobos, Armoured Ceramite   500

Heavy Support

Vindicator   Dozer Blade   125

Total  3000

Obviously the body count is low, but there's lots of 2+ armour, high armour values, lots of fearless and a variety of ways to erase units.  What do you think?

You can't use Rites of War with the alternate FOCs so you'd have to either go Pride of the Legion or Onslaught and sadly can't combine the two unless a mission specifically allows it

*Reads relevant section of Massacre*  Drat!  Cramming in plain Tactical or Breacher Squads would ruin the theme of this list.  I guess I'd have to drop a Vindicator.

Dude go for some breacher marines for troops! You get the cool imperial fist fluff and get to use your old mantlet marines from the siege assault list!

I have a Breacher Squad and despite the poor rules I'd include it as a bunker in a defensive list, but this list was supposed to represent an all out attack.  Even charging from Land Raiders, Breacher Squads just aren't scary on the assault.  

The rules were much better in IA10.  They used to be very good at one specific thing (tanking anything worse than AP3) with an appropriate drawback (slow and poor transport options).  Now the rules are all over the place such that you're never benefiting from more than a small fraction of them and there's no clear way to leverage them.  You still have to pay through the teeth for all those rules, and the theme continues with their wargear options.  Opt for graviton guns and you have to deal with having a short range unit that can't move and fire.  Their signature breaching charges make greenskin weapons look reliable if used on anything other than a structure.  Manning an Aegis Defence Line is the best use for them I can think of for them, and even then I don't expect them to do any damage.  All they'll do is take longer to die if my opponent has the courtesy to engage them in a way that doesn't bypass their armour's jumble of underwhelming special rules.

They do look cool though.  I hope the unique Imperial Fists Breacher unit mentioned at Games Day gets a completely rethought set of rules.

I'd keep the onslaught FOC, take the Vindis, put Terminators a Contemptor Squadron and an Apothecarion as your Elites and have 3 big (20 man) Breacher Squads and 1 plasma or melta support squad - this will give you 4-5 big scoring units (inc. 3 w/ apothecaries), the hitting power of vindis/contemptors AND some fire support :)

Archived