Imperial Fists 5th Company - First Test Marine Finished

Hey gang. Before the downtime ate it, I had posted the beginnings of my Imperial Fist army with a test miniature. Now he stands finished. I want some feedback, particularly on the amount of mud on the legs. More or less? For context, I want the whole army to look like it just made planetfall, so muddy from jumping out of their drop pods but not yet battle-damaged.

med_gallery_62495_8986_92681.jpg

med_gallery_62495_8986_201432.jpg

med_gallery_62495_8986_61790.jpg

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

First of all, holy cow that's an intense yellow! Lots of Fists now are going more for that orangey/brownish yellow instead because the foundation paints cover so well. How are you getting it so bright? Starting with white and doing it more like a wash?

As for the mud… I think the amount is okay but the placement is weird. It should cover the bottom part of his boots more. The way it is now looks very much 'top-down' because that's the angle your brush was when you applied it. Think about how the dirt would look as he walks about in the muck, though. There might be some on the top of his foot but the soles would not be spared. Might be better to paint before you base them to make it easier to get down and dirty. 

The cables connecting to the backpack need a slight touch up by the look of it - they have a little bit of metallic paint on them. Besides that, he's looking quite nice.

JeffTibbetts, that's a brilliant observation. I will absolutely go from the bottom up in the future. That will help a lot I think.

Marshal2 Crusaders, the recipe is this.

White Undercoat, followed by 2-3 layers of watered down Averland Sunset. Wash the recesses with straight Seraphim Sepia. Do another watered-down coat of Averland Sunset and then 2-3 watered down coats of Yriel Yellow. Highlight the edges with straight Flash Gitz. 

Keep in mind I'm away from my lightbox so the light here probably misrepresents the miniature and makes it look brighter. 

Going full on canary with the yellow, eh? Bold smile.png

Can't see anything to point out which hasn't already been noted, so I've got nothing beyond that biggrin.png

[breathes heavy sigh of relief] Muchas gracias, Firepower! The only danger now is that my idea for a DIY Chapter lures me away from the sons of Dorn.

Archived