Codex: Inquisition

Gentlemanloser

its not your only option, that was just my smartass response!!! what if you were playing dawn of war?? a lot of more places to put your guys on objectives, plus wolves are a counter attack army so drop em mid field into cover and just tell em to come at ya bro!!! seriously way to many variables to say you have no options way to many what ifs....

Yes you will adapt, thats where the fun is!! if you wanted a one dimensional army then i hear chaos are pretty good..... whats in your chaos list? o a helldrake did not see that coming!!!! have yet to vs a tau palyer without two riptides..............

Use GK allies with a Vindicare, and Wesley Snipes Coteaz. msn-wink.gif

You realize the drop pods would deep strike before my shooting phase, right?

its not your only option, that was just my smartass response!!! what if you were playing dawn of war?? a lot of more places to put your guys on objectives, plus wolves are a counter attack army so drop em mid field into cover and just tell em to come at ya bro!!! seriously way to many variables to say you have no options way to many what ifs....

Yes you will adapt, thats where the fun is!! if you wanted a one dimensional army then i hear chaos are pretty good..... whats in your chaos list? o a helldrake did not see that coming!!!! have yet to vs a tau palyer without two riptides..............

Coteaz basically makes 24" bubble (since you can´t risk scattering towards him) of death. A lot can hide inside that. Wolves are, of course, a great counter attack army but dropping them mid field means a) your alpha strike does nothing, b ) you´ve got 50% of your army standing against 100% of your opponent´s army. Good luck with that.

I hope someone smarter than me will come up with a solution to this crap, I´m actually kinda worried.

Drop the Turn ones Empty.

Save your guys for the Turn 2+ ones.

Aaaand you also realize that Coteaz has 3 wounds, right :D? Vindicare would take at least 2 rounds of shooting to take him out. I can of ourse drop all my pods empty... which doesn´t entirely solve the problem that the pod army would be screwed.

Yes you will adapt, thats where the fun is!! if you wanted a one dimensional army then i hear chaos are pretty good..... whats in your chaos list? o a helldrake did not see that coming!!!! have yet to vs a tau palyer without two riptides..........

My tau only has 1 riptide. But thats just me.

Just bought this book.

Immediately regretted it. I just spent $30 for an almost exact reprint of the inquisitorial part of the GK book.

Massive, massive missed opportunity GW

No new special characters, stormtroopers, assassins or stormraven. No new options for inq choices other than a relic.

3 relics (all books);

One lets you have pick from a couple of SRs if you pass the Ld test.

One gives you a specific SR depending on who you are fighting.

One takes 5 off the WS, I and Ld of any daemon you fight in a challenge.

Warlords traits are ok, nothing really stand outs to me. 3 tables, though all of the tables share the first 3 results.

Banisher is out, priest is in. Priest passes Ld test, can choose 3 decent effects. Pity Ld7 means he's pretty meh.

Valkyries and all 3 LR variants are in as a dedicated transports.

All points costs remain the same (as far as I could see). 

I actually can't think of a single reason for any GK player to use this book at all. 

Maybe to spam valks? But then, why not just go IG and use Vendettas instead?

Everyone else can join in on 55pt divination inq spam, with no unit purchase.  

Other armies can field an =][= detatchment in addition to allies. =][= detatchment is 1 inquisitor, 1 optional inquisitor, 3 optional henchmen. If fielding =][= as the primary, its the same choices, but the henchmen score. 

Ironically, you've now made me so want this book...

I LOVE my Inquisitor HQs.  I abhore that I only get one unit of henchmen and some 50 or 60 pewter figures of various things have to live in my army box.  I have an Inquisitorial Land Raider that I can't really use.  I have two Inquisitorial Chimeras that only half of which usually see use.  I wanted a Valkyrie or two as well.

This book, with just what you've said, fixes all my problems.  I get scoring henchmen squads (ISTs) without having to have The Big Cheese!  I can have my Land Raider, or multiple units of ISTs.  I can have my Inquisitor as the Warlord, and I don't always have to have Grey Knights in every battle I face.

It doesn't remove the option to have Inquisitors in the Grey Knights book, but it allows me to simply field an Inquisitor with other allies besides Grey Knights.  For me it's not about gaming competition, it's about being able to use the models I've been collecting for over a decade.  This is so going on my list of things to get ;)

I like this codex. In saying that GW could have made it much better or at least included one new special character for ordo xenos. Instead they have decided to do a rehash of the current GK codex with alot of new fluff and I'm assuming that is because it is faster to write fluff than rules so they can continue to pump these things out.

I do have a gripe with there only being HQ's, one elite choice, and a whole bunch of dedicated transports in the codex.While it is nice that any inquisitor can now play henchman spam that option is quite bland and unappealing to me. I do love the idea of being able to cheaply add a decent flyer to my usual DA list now and have them as BB's but DA's are the last chapter that want the inquisition poking their noses into the secret's of the rock.

I'm seriously annoyed that once again OM have ALL the good options for wargear and OH and OX feel decidedly underwhelming by comparison. I would much rather play a hereticus inquisitor but apart from a null rod, condemnor boltgun, or inferno/plasma pistol there's no good loadout.

So overall I like the codex but it's a seriously missed opportunity for GW; where's the BYO Inquisitor blueprint for the ordos minoris? Instead they dish out some tripe about how not all inquisitorial fields are needed at once "so they switch". Well Yipee-Ki-Ay mother censored.gif did the author actually ask a five year old to solve that quandry for them?

I have mixed feelings about the codex.

PRO: Inquisitorial detachments and the way you can use Inquisitors in any Imperial army works exactly the way we've always wanted them to.

I can't think of any other PROs. That's it.

That said, it's absolutely HUGE in what it delivers. Inquisitorial fluff-bunnies can go nuts in ways we've only ever dreamed of. And competitively, it also brings massive potential benefits.

However, there are several CONs.

* The Imperial armies get yet more power and flexibility thrown their way. It's been nice to have a few non-Imperial armies actually compete on equal footing with the Imperial armies -- notably Tau, Eldar, and Necrons -- but I think the balance of power has once again shifted back to the Imperium. Eldar can make OK use of the Inquisition rules, but really, it's a windfall for Imperial players at the expense of everybody else. IMHO, this is NOT what the game needs.

* No Inquisitorial Stormtroopers. I cannot adequately express my disappointment here. It truly does appear that GW has no intention of keeping the old Inquisition fluff regarding ISTs alive. It's worth pointing out that the existence of ISTs required a certain structure to the Inquisition that apparently doesn't exist. That structure always appealed very strongly to me. Now it's been definitively retconned out of existence. sad.png

* Other than the force org/allied detachment modifications, there is virtually nothing new here at all. If you play Grey Knights, you already know about everything. All that happened is that every other Imperial player gets everything unique out of our codex with the exception of GKs themselves. Makes our own codex seem a lot less special and unique. A massive opportunity to make the Inquisition something truly unique has been squandered.

* It's worth noting that there is not one iota of new fluff either. It's not just new units and rules that are missing, it's also new information.

IMHO, the single PRO and the multiple CONs pretty nearly equally balance themselves out. I suppose I'm glad I have it, but in no way is it worth the price tag. It costs about US$30 ... it's worth about US$5.

He's a Battle Brother.  And can be your Warlord even if chosen as the Ally, which includes a specail Warlord Trait chart.  There's also a specail Codex: Inquisition Psychic Power chart, but I've not seen it yet.

Basically, as he's a BB to the GK, there's no downside taking him as the better 'Inquisition' slot.

Number6, with regards to the fluff, or lack of it, would you mind confirming if this is true or not;

Well good thing that information has been updated to a more
reasonable set.  In the new =][= codex it says clearly that the Ordo
Malleus has the service of the Grey Knights.  The other Major Ordos have
their own Chamber Militants.  Good thing GW came to their senses.

Are the GK still the Chamber Militant for the entire Inquisition (as per Codex: GK), or has this been moved back in line with the older Fluff?

* No Inquisitorial Stormtroopers. I cannot adequately express my disappointment here. It truly does appear that GW has no intention of keeping the old Inquisition fluff regarding ISTs alive. It's worth pointing out that the existence of ISTs required a certain structure to the Inquisition that apparently doesn't exist. That structure always appealed very strongly to me. Now it's been definitively retconned out of existence. sad.png

a) I don't think IST were ever going to make an appearance until the new IG dex comes out with the rumored plastic storm troopers.

b) From what I hear if you want a decent IST counts as the Death Korps of Krieg Assailt Brigade in IA12 fits the bill nicely from what I hear. Their Grenadiers are storm troopers. BS 4, and tough as freaking nails (WS 4, basically fearless).

He's a Battle Brother.  And can be your Warlord even if chosen as the Ally, which includes a specail Warlord Trait chart.  There's also a specail Codex: Inquisition Psychic Power chart, but I've not seen it yet.

Basically, as he's a BB to the GK, there's no downside taking him as the better 'Inquisition' slot.

Number6, with regards to the fluff, or lack of it, would you mind confirming if this is true or not;

Well good thing that information has been updated to a more

reasonable set.  In the new =][= codex it says clearly that the Ordo

Malleus has the service of the Grey Knights.  The other Major Ordos have

their own Chamber Militants.  Good thing GW came to their senses.

Are the GK still the Chamber Militant for the entire Inquisition (as per Codex: GK), or has this been moved back in line with the older Fluff?

Forget about C:=][= psychic powers as they have access to hammerhand, psychic communion, dark excommunication, and sanctuary..... sound familiar?

In fact the only one not in C:GK is psychic barrage which is only used by henchmen psykers and more than one henchman psyker can contribute +1S and AP to the attack. Otherwise it's a 36" S3 AP6 Assault1 Large Blast shooting attack 

If it's not random, then psychic barrage would be nice. The Inquisitor's high leadership insures it goes through. With 6 psykers in a chimera, he shoots St10 Ap1 large blasts (like a vindi), but at 36".

We can still simulate IST's pretty easily via Henchmen, they're just only BS3 as opposed to BS4.  While irritating, a hellgun and carapace armor is right on the list of buyable wargear without being too hideously expensive.  One can argue the extra special weapon slot and 2 extra squad member slots (which can go to things like Jokaero) can make up a lot of the downgrade in BS.

While the Razorback and Chimera can take Psyflame Ammunition, Psybolt Ammunition is not available to the Inquisitorial Vehicles.

No cheap 50 point Heavy Bolter Backs here.

But for slighty more expense, you can get a Chimera with two Heavy Flamers, and Psyflame Ammunition...

And the ability to shoot 5 guys from the back of it.

Damn...

Edit: The Chimera like this is also *cheaper* than a Razorback with TL Heavy Flamer turret and Psyflame.  BALANCE HO!!!!

The Copy I have lists Psybolt Ammo under "Special Issue Wargear" and only;

Dozer blade, extra armour, hunter-killer missile, searchlight, smoke launchers, FRAG ASSAULT LAUNCHERS, PSYFLAME AMMUNITION, TRUESILVER ARMOUR

(The bold are the ones with rules) under "Vehicle Equipment".

The Razorback options are;

Options:

May replace twin-linked heavy bolter with one of the following:
- Twin-linked heavy flamer

- Twin-linked assault cannon

- Twin-linked lascannon

- Lascannon and twin-linked plasma gun

Razorbacks may take items from the Inquisitorial Vehicle Equipment list.

May take psyflame ammunition

The options for the Chimera are;

Options:

May replace heavy bolter with heavy flamer -

May replace its multi-laser with one of the following:

- Heavy bolter

- Heavy flamer

Chimeras may take items from the Inquisitorial Vehicle Equipment list.

So unless we have different versions of the same Codex, Razorbacks and Chimera's cannot purchase Psybolt Ammo.

Edit:

Scratch all that, found another table int he dex... /sigh

INQUISITORIAL VEHICLE EQUIPMENT

Searchlight

Dozer blade

Psybolt ammunition

Hunter-killer missile

Storm bolter

Truesilver armour

Extra armour

Awesome.

Codex: Inquistion now has access to *cheaper* Psybolt Razorbacks than Codex: GK.  Or a double Heavy Bolter Psybolt Chimera for only 10 points more than our current Razors...

Makes me feel *so* much better about our Codex...

Yeah, saw that.

Auto include?

HQ: OM Inquisitor, Hellrifle (40)

HQ: OM Inquisitor, Hellrifle (40)

Elite: Servitor x3, Plasma Cannon x3, Chimera, H Bolterx2, Psybolt Ammo (90)

Elite: Servitor x3, Plasma Cannon x3, Chimera, H Bolterx2, Psybolt Ammo (90)

Total: 260

Gives you two AV12 Bunkers that shoot six, S6, AP4 shots, with a S6, AP3, Rending Shot and three S7, AP2 Blasts.  All at 36".

Archived