The Horus Heresy by Lil'Legend Studio

lilloser

Just found this thread after following a link from the Chaos forum talking about Curze.

These paint jobs are stunning, better than the FW studio efforts which from my POV are already amazing. The midnight blue armour of non-metallic metals is a new standard for me to try and achieve.

Beautiful.

• 1 month later...

I have praised your faces in the past as some of the best ever, but I feel it is only fair to say that I think the highlighting of the armour is off. Whereas Fulgrim's eyes told you all you needed to know about the Emperors Children at that point, I get absolutely nothing from this mini. Sorry bud but I think you got this one a bit wrong in terms of tone, the painting skill is unquestionably brilliant as always

No problem ratboy. I'm really deflated by that comment, could you explain a little further by what you mean by 'the armour is a little off'?

The eyes are pure jet black like the books which may be the reason why it's hard to connect with the character of the piece.

The polished sheen of the armour was meant to contrast with the dull red painted gauntlets whicy have been left to be chipped. These are a mark of death and disgrace, so he wouldn't have so much of an interest in maintaining the red paint.

I'm gutted if this is this reaction is common as this is one of my favourite characters and I really enjoyed painting him.

This thread delivers, exceptional works of art one and all!

2 things really put your work over the top in my opinion. 1 is the expressions you manage to get the characters to convey via their facial expressions just like ratboy stated earlier. The second is the striations in the exposed shoulder you painted on the crimson Khârn model. As an aspiring bodybuilder it's one of those little things, in my mind, that shows the raw physicality of a space marine and you nailed it.

Also, Sevatar looks amazing!! I don't even have mine in hand yet but you already have yours painted to an outstanding level. No fair !!

This is very hard to explain as it is totally subjective and not related to the quality of your painting in any way, which is exceptional as always.

I suppose the best way to explain it is that on first glance I thought it was an Ultramarine as it was so crisp and clean and that is the essence of my point, it just doesn't feel like the Night Lords for some reason. It just feels too 'shiny'.

Please don't feel bad about my comment as it is only one persons opinion out of 6 billion and I have loved this blog so far.

Keep on trucking brother x

I think that part of the problem might be the sculpt'd head, though I see what Ratboy means about him being so shiny and I have to agree.  The paint job is exquisite, but it does feel a bit too... I dunno... pretty to be a Night Lord when we're used to them being threatening and scary, even as loyalists.  Back to the head, though, even though it's scarred, it's a pretty regal, square-jawed and heroic head that you'd expect to see on an Imperial Fist or an Ultramarine and that goes against, in my opinion, everything about Sevatar... and probably part of the intent of the sculpt.  I honestly feel that, of all the characters from FW so far, this one seems to capture the character's spirit the least.

Once again, great painting, and I think it's the canvas that is flawed, not the paint applied to it.

No problem ratboy. I'm really deflated by that comment, could you explain a little further by what you mean by 'the armour is a little off'?

The eyes are pure jet black like the books which may be the reason why it's hard to connect with the character of the piece.

The polished sheen of the armour was meant to contrast with the dull red painted gauntlets whicy have been left to be chipped. These are a mark of death and disgrace, so he wouldn't have so much of an interest in maintaining the red paint.

I'm gutted if this is this reaction is common as this is one of my favourite characters and I really enjoyed painting him.

For me - the quality of the painting is of the highest level, no question.

As far as being a Night Lord - the armour shades look better against the dark background as opposed to the white.  Maybe it's just and aspect or perception thing, or the qualities of my screen.  If you were to go back to the model, just add some lightning patterns, nothing more.

As for being Sevatar - as @exetus says, it's the canvas that is flawed, not the paint applied to it.  That isn't Sevatar's face IMHO, no paint job is going to fix that.

It's a great model (unhelmed head aside), and this is a beautiful paint job which I think is 99% to perfection.

I have little knowledge of this character and sO my opinion is based on what I see here and I have to say I really like this paint job especially the contrast between the bare head and the rest of the armour and helmet. The helmet seems to capture the sinister appearance of a NL a warrior set in causing terror whilst the bare head somehow on the same model captures some of the nobility of a space marine. I personally like the contrast and think it has be brilliantly executed as ever.

The Painting on this is really good... its exactly how I imagine a comic book artist from early 2000's would do it high contrast and the red guantlets is so cool.... may have t pilfer that idea and revisit mine haha!.

The Painting on this is really good... its exactly how I imagine a comic book artist from early 2000's would do it high contrast and the red guantlets is so cool.... may have t pilfer that idea and revisit mine haha!.

Just so you know, Sevatar was forced to wear the red gauntlets as a mark of shame.  Wasn't sure if you just thought it was a cool touch or not, but there is a reason that he included them.

As usual, fantabulous paintjob. 

As regards Sevatar, does anyone else share my opinion that FW (primarchs [for the most part, I'm looking at you, Fulgrim] excepting) does not make the most wonderful faces? There is something about the Sevatar sculpt I just cant get into. Felt the same way about Khârn. There is just something awkward and off about them to me. 

Archived