Aquilanus does Dark Angels...sorta.

Aqui

"We are the Angels of Salvation. We will save more than the Imperium. We will save our Brothers from themselves. We will do that which has been deemed unthinkable, nay, impossible.

"We will redeem the Unforgiven..."

- Catechism of the Angels of Salvation.

Okay, a little about what this topic will entail and why I'm doing it. I've been getting into a lot of bad hobby habits - buying lots of stuff and ultimately doing nothing with them. Whilst my collection of plastic isn't as large as some members, I don't want it to spiral out of control. I have the majority of the Dark Vengeance boxset (Limited Edition) to paint, and whilst I have completed the Tactical Squad (minus basing) and a Terminator, they have figuratively and literally been gathering dust since my ongoing dalliance with the Rainbow Warriors (who will return, I just want to get the excess models painted first).

When I returned to the hobby three or so years back, I had the devil of a time deciding on which Chapter to collect. Would I return to Space Wolves? Blood Angels (or successor)? Round and round I went, until I decided that I would concentrate on DIY Chapters (yes, the Rainbow Warriors are official, but they came out of the blue like a lightning bolt laugh.png ) So far I have five DIY Chapters and one DIY Order, but asides from the Steel Wings have hardly any models to show for it. That is where this and other topics come in. I do have a "catch all" topic out there somewhere and it was my intention to use that for everything I do, but the lack of any coherency lead to a lot of procrastination and less concentration on one project at a time. My Rainbow Warrior topic gave me enough focus to get to have enough models for half a Company in a relatively short time and I hope that this will do the same.

Anyway, to the Angels of Salvation themselves. At the time of their creation, I'd wanted to do a Dark Angel successor, official or otherwise for sometime, but again could not decide on which. In the end I took the Dark Angels' colours and reversed them, so that their "Deathwing" was in green and the rest of the Chapter was in "bone". As for their background, well, again it was difficult to get a unique idea that wasn't a retread of other DA successors already out there. Then it (kinda) hit me - what about an Unforgiven Chapter who has taken upon themselves of a more direct way of redeeming themselves and every other? How. By journeying to Terra and begging and audience with Him on Earth himself. Naturally, there are going to be complications to this plan (asides from the High Lords of Terra being very suspicious about an ENTIRE Chapter just appearing from nowhere and asking to see the boss!), but I had a snag or two about how to go about it. Frustration lead to apathy and then relegation to the archives.

Well, I think they have been left in the shadows for long enough. I haven't got anything recent to show yet, but I thought I'd post what I do have and then take it from there, so here we go:

Original test mini:

gallery_51296_7200_3077.jpg

Whilst I'm happy with the scheme overall, looking at this model in particular reminds me just how far I've come as a painter. It was undercoated with a brush rather than using spray which I do now, which resulted in the subsequent paint being far too thick. One can't make an omelette....

First Terminator:

gallery_51296_7200_66750.jpg

This model was drybrushed, a technique I used with all of my old models and before I tried highlighting. I might drybrush the other Termis that they are all consistent and then add a few highlights to bring them up to speed with all of the models I do from now on.

Rear view:

gallery_51296_7200_27298.jpg

Side view:

gallery_51296_7200_22176.jpg

First Tactical Marine:

gallery_51296_7200_146397.jpg

Completed Tactical Squad:

gallery_51296_7200_10637.jpg

I quite like this squad, despite the flaws they have. Skin colour is something I still struggle with and the Sergeant was supposed to have a Native American skintone, but he came out a ruddy chocolate sad.png I think I'll get a few bare heads when I next place a bitz order and practice.

After having work dominate my life for the last few weeks, I hope to spend all day Sunday painting. I've made the mistake of not only completely assembling the bike squad, but gluing them with plastic cement, so I'll have to try to cut them up in such a way that doesn't ruin them blink.png

However, I'm looking forward to getting the Command units painted. I'm no Golden Daemon winner, but the last year has seen my painting get better and better, so I really want to spend a lot of time on them, especially the Limited Edition Chaplain! happy.png

Hope to get some momentum with this project, so thanks for any comments or feedback given happy.png

I KNEW IT!! ohmy.png I suspected That you were UNforgiven in disguise:P.

The Terminator looks good.thumbsup.gif And the tac squad Ditto:tu: .

laugh.png

Thanks! happy.png I'll say one thing about painting the RW's, they really helped me keep on track, and painting so many HQ's meant that went that bit further to improve. Hopefully, the trend will continue smile.png

It might even mean that I get back to (re)writing all of my DIY IA's...but I won't bank on it dry.png

I took stock of what I have that hasn't (yet) seen paint, and I knew I had to do something now to clear the back log. Asides from the DV stuff, I've still got some Eldar that I want to start, but the less said about that the better! laugh.png

Archived