++ The Murderers' Call - A Night Lords Community ++

Flint13

The Night Lords are weird. Most sources have it that the iris is so small it basically doesn't exist.

The Raven Guard have the same eyes as I recall, but they've never been mentioned as being sensitive to light.

I would assume it is because their dark eyes are from the gene-seed where as the Nostramans are from before the gene-seed and most likely enhanced by the implantation.

ADB in Blood Reaver describes Talos's eyes as "iris-less black of all Nostramo's sons".  That would suggest that it is not unique to Astartes gene-seed.

Regarding sensitivity to light: From ADB, Ruven is torchered by Huron in a cell with very bright light that even a helmet would not dull and quickly brings tears to Talos's eyes - but this is probably just a spin-off from spending days in a dark ship.

Preysight however, is different and genetic, not just a helmet mod/augmentation?

Night Lord eyes are described as being this way specifically to see better in the dark, and the fact it is pointed out kind of infers it is beyond what is normal for Astartes. So it comes across as a feature, and is described like a dilated pupil that pretty much overcomes the iris. The iris is still there, but with the dilation it can't be seen. But, since dilation doesn't extend past the iris, far as I know, this means that the white sclera is still visible.

The Raven Guard, on the other hand, have a defect in their melanochrome organ implant, which causes a general shift in appearance to be pale-skinned, while their hair and eyes darken. By the end, they're marble white, with raven black hair and solid obsidian eyes. It is a similar defect as the Salamanders have, the same organ but differing mutation. And their eyes also go for a solid color.

There is a conversation going on in the Raven Guard forum, at: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/303428-question-regarding-raven-guard-fluff

It was brought up that there are two references in McNeil's Ultramarines saga where Raven Guard are described with differently colored eyes. But, all other references point to my description above, and each debate on this matter I have come across always ends up with that conclusion. Originally, I myself thought it was reverse too.

Edited by Conn Eremon

I was thinking Preysight was a specific vision mode that was unique to the helmet software (or whatever passes for it in 40k) of the 8th legion?  

This looks most likely, as the activation needed a vox command.  Though how this remained unique to the 8th Legion for so long when servitors and the Mechanicum would have set up and maintained these helms is a mystery to me.  Maybe the infra-red (?) software was only of value to the Night Lords unique visual attributes? 

Thanks Flint - I agree that it is not a specific gene-seed attribute.

Night Lord eyes are described as being this way specifically to see better in the dark, and the fact it is pointed out kind of infers it is beyond what is normal for Astartes. So it comes across as a feature, and is described like a dilated pupil that pretty much overcomes the iris. The iris is still there, but with the dilation it can't be seen. But, since dilation doesn't extend past the iris, far as I know, this means that the white sclera is still visible.

The Raven Guard, on the other hand, have a defect in their melanochrome organ implant, which causes a general shift in appearance to be pale-skinned, while their hair and eyes darken. By the end, they're marble white, with raven black hair and solid obsidian eyes. It is a similar defect as the Salamanders have, the same organ but differing mutation. And their eyes also go for a solid color.

There is a conversation going on in the Raven Guard forum, at: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/303428-question-regarding-raven-guard-fluff

It was brought up that there are two references in McNeil's Ultramarines saga where Raven Guard are described with differently colored eyes. But, all other references point to my description above, and each debate on this matter I have come across always ends up with that conclusion. Originally, I myself thought it was reverse too.

Ah, gotcha.

Also explains the Night Vision in the HH rules :D

I was thinking Preysight was a specific vision mode that was unique to the helmet software (or whatever passes for it in 40k) of the 8th legion?

This looks most likely, as the activation needed a vox command.  Though how this remained unique to the 8th Legion for so long when servitors and the Mechanicum would have set up and maintained these helms is a mystery to me.  Maybe the infra-red (?) software was only of value to the Night Lords unique visual attributes? 

I've always imagined preysight to be something similar to the predator vision in the predator movies. Perhaps a mixture of the infrared and röntgen or perhaps ultraviolet spectrum. nd maybe all astartes helmets have it, but the night lords use it disproportionally often due to their sight condition?

I've always imagined preysight to be something similar to the predator vision in the predator movies. Perhaps a mixture of the infrared and röntgen or perhaps ultraviolet spectrum. nd maybe all astartes helmets have it, but the night lords use it disproportionally often due to their sight condition?

This is identical to what my thoughts were too

As far as the Dark Angel in a novel having preysight, I want to say it was a chaplain in the Battle for Kadillus? Or not lol

In my head, I imagined preysight to be a deliberate modification of a helm's autosenses. Fine-tuning different sensors to provide a very specific vision to the Marine within. Like a lot of things with the Legions, I can see this software or pre-set preferences finding a place outside of the VIII.

I present to you, Captain Marek Vanya, 100th Company, VIII Legiones Astartes, as he was seen during the latter days of the Siege of Terra:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/673/RKH3xH.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/673/T15h0o.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/913/zmMQS1.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/537/1o6BbO.jpg

What do you guys and gals think?

The chainglaive is from Anvil Industries.

http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/The-Armoury/Close-Combat-Weapons/Chain-Glaives

There's also the beginning of a duel story in my Terra Will Burn thread, Vanya has a rivalry with an Imperial Fist captain during the siege. I'm going to focus a lot on Marek's character, told through those duel scenes.

Edited by Larkyn

This looks most likely, as the activation needed a vox command. Though how this remained unique to the 8th Legion for so long when servitors and the Mechanicum would have set up and maintained these helms is a mystery to me. Maybe the infra-red (?) software was only of value to the Night Lords unique visual attributes?

In my head, I imagined preysight to be a deliberate modification of a helm's autosenses. Fine-tuning different sensors to provide a very specific vision to the Marine within. Like a lot of things with the Legions, I can see this software or pre-set preferences finding a place outside of the VIII.

The "standard" preysight is some sort of thermal vision that makes it easier for the Night Lords to hunt down their prey. I imagine its use is disproportionate simple because 1.)they're the only group authors ever write as actually using it, thus creating the illusion that they use it more 2.)it's purpose is for hunting down mortals which not too many Astartes do. Come to think of it, the only other time we see Astartes use the other visions is when it's thematic.

Also, Lucoryphus also modified his preysight to actually be more akin to that echolocation sight they used in Dark Knight.

as for the Dark angel, I believe it is actually Angels of Darkness, but I could be wrong.

@ Larkyn: the overall conversion looks nice, but the chains and skulls on the extended arm's shoulder kinda ruin it for me.

it feels strange how the skulls on the pad are "hanging", it doesn't look natural and some of  the chains are almost horizontal and others are nearly hanging vertically down. i'd tweak their positioning and maybe change the pad with the skulls. Also some of the hooks on the chains look a little big for my taste.

just my 2 flayed skulls:wink:

Edited by Wicced

Yeah, that shoulder pad is much better when vertical. *Finds a studded pad* Ah, that'll do much better.

And yes, the hooks that are extending out from behind the cloak are from the WHFB zombie kit. Nice big ham-sized hooks for models with ham-sized fists. I like them. They look like they could hang on ogryn from its jaw, and still have enough strength to hold up the ripper gun too.

This looks most likely, as the activation needed a vox command. Though how this remained unique to the 8th Legion for so long when servitors and the Mechanicum would have set up and maintained these helms is a mystery to me. Maybe the infra-red (?) software was only of value to the Night Lords unique visual attributes?

The "standard" preysight is some sort of thermal vision that makes it easier for the Night Lords to hunt down their prey. I imagine its use is disproportionate simple because 1.)they're the only group authors ever write as actually using it, thus creating the illusion that they use it more 2.)it's purpose is for hunting down mortals which not too many Astartes do. Come to think of it, the only other time we see Astartes use the other visions is when it's thematic.

Also, Lucoryphus also modified his preysight to actually be more akin to that echolocation sight they used in Dark Knight.

as for the Dark angel, I believe it is actually Angels of Darkness, but I could be wrong.

Yes!  In one of the Night Lord books it mentioned that "preysight" is tuned by individual Marines.  IIRC Lucoryphus has his set to track movement not heat.  I guess you could also set it to sound, over even an active sonar like a bat(it's why they have the bat ears on the helm of course!).  My guess is that you could even fine tune it more so it is set on specific things perhapes like a heart-beat and the faster it beats the clearer the picture becomes.  Would make a pretty good story I think of a Night Lord chasing his prey, and as they flee and become scared they are easier to find and hunt.

As to the Dark Angels it was in that book by Gav where they are "interviewing" the Fallen.  I don't recall if it was called prey sight or something more like terror sight but it seemed to work in the same way.