++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Haha, both of those guys rock socks!

I just can't decide which one rocks the most. 

The banner bearer is super stoic and intricate, like he has been carrying that thing for eons. 

The eviscerator guy is hilariously dynamic, like he has hurled every gram of his own body weight into that swing. I pity whatever poor bastard is on the receiving end of it :D

The berserkers look brilliant, and I do not notice the damage at all.

Ah okay I didn't know you planned to do airbrushing. I do not own one of these mythical spraying beasts and only use paintbrushes.

I struggle to do good designs on curved or wavy areas. My thought was basically to adapt BCK's cloak idea.

Using a single layer of tissue, draw out your design to the dimensions of the banner, then using a pva/water mix, stick on to the banner itself.

The tissue should be thin enough to follow every fold and contour of the banner, plus be thin enough not to be totally obvious.

As you now have a visual guide it would make doing a detailed banner a lot simpler...

However with airbrush, you may not need to try this idea.

Anyhoo, your Khorne berserkers look absolutely ace...

Excellent work on those latest berzerkers! That icon bearer is truly something to behold!

My feedback on Kurze's face may have been poorly worded. What I was trying to say was that his face has this pasty, slightly sweaty look you get with people who look unhealthy, like a feverish expression -- and I think that's a great fit for the Night Haunter. Hope that makes it clearer!

First off, I'd like to invite everyone reading this to participate in the Augustus Arena B&C Inter-Frater Hobby Challenge Event that has started yesterday. :thumbsup:

With Curze and ten Berzerkers done, I need my vehicle fix. As such I've been working on a Predator Annihilator over the last couple of days. I showed you an earlier update of this tank earlier here, but I got distracted by the Eight Legged Lord of Skulls. 

Although I absolutely love Subtle Discord's chaos trim kits, it is just an eetsy peetsy to elaborate for my Night Lords. I bought the Proditor Pattern Predator Extra Armour kit from him, and distributed the components evenly among two tanks (the other one is another Annihilator). This tank has the extra armour on the side, the other tank gets all the other parts.

That still left me with the option to do the lascannon sponsons. About three years ago, I purchased an OOP MkI Predator Destructor from Ebay, with the metal turret and sponsons. The turret was used for my Predator with Plasma Destroyer. The sponsons, however, have been rummaging around my vehicle bits box for quite some time now, and I thought I'd use them. I didn't have the lascannons, so I used the lascannons from the Dark Talon kit. These fit quite nicely, and I only needed a little greenstuff to make the transition smooth. 

There's still a lot to be done - I still need to do a lot of trophies, perhaps some pre-painting weathering, and definitely some riveting work, but the major hassle will be trying to fix the sponsons to the tank (they're poster buddy'd on right now)  seeing as I can't seem to find the metal plate with which to affix the sponson to the original predator...

This is what I have so far.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-14%2017.07.46_zpskebswsw7.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-14%2017.08.04_zps8fkwodwm.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-14%2017.08.14_zpspidk8kaw.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-15%2014.19.28_zpslpw98fku.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-15%2014.20.26_zps62zrdeht.jpg

What do you think?

Replies!

@Teetengee: Thanks mate! I really like the model too. :biggrin.:

@The_Chaplain: Cheers - he's throwing everything into that sweep doesn't he? 

@Noctus Cornix: Hehehe a little bit of trolling never hurt anyone :wink:

@Flint13: Hilariously dynamic? BTW I wonder if Space Marines even wear socks in their armour. Or is it just the black carpace all over?

@Wicced: I shall do, buddy!

@dantay_xv: Ah, gotcha! And I thoroughly encourage you to get one of these 'mythical spraying beasts'. It has to be for you, but I'll never go back. And there's tons and tons of video tutorials on the net. The banners couldn't be simpler to paint exactly because they have contours and curves - they're an airbrusher's friend :thumbsup:

@MrBear: Thanks buddy! I'm happy to see you are on track as well with the 33d!

@KrautScientist: Thanks on the 'zerkers. :thumbsup:  Ahaa the sickly kind of pasty. Well, good! 

@The Hydra: I couldn't agree more with you mate. I've seen some awesome renditions that looked radically different from mine. The IB is indeed from the CoH command kit.

@Grizzly_bear: :thumbsup: Cheers matey!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

This Predator is superb.   I have no experience of the metal sponsons, but I have build a plastruct bridge to hold magnets for my plastic sponsons (enables a bolter/LC swap).  Would this idea work for yours, with some pasticard? 

You're too damned quick for me to keep up with all the awesome!

Curze looks fantastic there's nothing wrong with him at all on a technical level and the fineness of your lightning is incredible, though I'm with some of the others about his face. I've always pictured his pale skin being almost alabaster, like The Crow.  Those Auxilia look like they've had unnecessarily horrendous things done to them. Poor buggers, there they were fighting super-human nightmare warriors like it ain't no thing and then *boom* Primarch-ed.

Extremely enthusiastic eviscerator-wielding Bezerker is a lot of fun, really like him.

You're a much braver man than I, wouldn't even dream of using those metal sponsons. They must weigh lots, I'm impressed that you're poster buddy kept them attached long enough to take a picture.

Thanks for the great comments guys (replies below). Though hobby butterfly that I am I will store this tank for the ETL and focus now on my vow in the currently running Augustus Arena B&C Inter-Frater Hobby Challenge event:

A true-scale rendition of 10th Company's First Claw by AD-B.

A loooong time ago, in a gala I did this Word Bearer truescale marine, following Doghouse's tut in his excellent true-scale thread (which has now been far surpassed by his and Apologist's combined true-scale project thread. They're seriously doing an army of these guys.

gallery_67710_7655_980653.jpg

I found the method so good, that I've always wanted to do a command squad. Not to play games with, but just for the sake of cool. Then I read the Night Lords trilogy, then I started playing Night Lords, then I started posting here, then one thing led to another and now I've finally decided, nay vowed, to complete them. Before March 15th no less!

So! Here we go. I did some research on their equipment (I don't have time to read fiction anymore so rereading the trilogy is out of the question) and got some help of the night lords community over at the Murderer's claw thread, then did a quick search through my bits box, some cutting and some green stuffing and here's the first pic (of many).

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/First%20Claw%20WIP_zpscf9nld1h.jpg

Obviously a lot is missing still. I already ordered a Blood Angels sword to represent Aurum. I still need a Terminator Body front with an actual Aquilla to represent Talos' broken torso armour - but cannot seem to find one. Anyone have ideas on how to do an eviscerator (I had two, but damnit I just used 'm for my 'zerkers)...? Also, does anyone know if there's an actual gladius Space Marine bit?

Thanks for watching and as always: feedback most welcome!

Replies!

@Brother Heinrich: Oh good, now I can rest easy knowing my debt is repaid... ;)

@The Hydra: Thanks mate - will do. Thanks for reminding me :tu: I do get carried away sometimes and forget those - especially on vehicles.

@dantay_xv: Cheers mate! You'll have to wait a couple months for the paint job, as I'm saving this beasty for the ETL!

@Psykic_scribe: It did, actually - I just rebuild the original metal plate that connected the sponsons to the vehicle using plasticard. It's invisible, so no pics, but that was a good idea - cheers!

@sockwithaticket: Thank man for such an elaborate reply! I know I'm a little fast, but hey - more goodies to look for every time you check, huh? Noticed my "Extremely enthusiastic eviscerator-wielding Bezerker" pun over at your plog? ;) And yeah those sponsons are heavy, but they were held together by my entire stack of kneaded-together poster buddy!

@Eldrick Shadowblade: Cheers buddy! Yeah SD's kit are a joy to work with.

looking good mate :tu:

i'm not sure if there is an actual gladius bit, but i made some by cutting the blade off of a power sword, shortening and reattaching it.

as for the eviscerator, if you got some old zerker chainswords, glue two together and blend them with green stuff or make a plastic card cover to hide the seam.

only nitpick so far would be uzas' head, it looks almost ogryn-ish  to me. i'd prefer him in the mk2 helmet mentioned in soul hunter :wink:

Some models and concept sketches of the 1st Claw that might help some more: https://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/?s=first+claw

As for a gladius, I don't know if it's still in production, but I have several swords from some older Space Wolves plastics that looks like a gladius.

I am next too 100% sure that there's a FW gladius bit turning up every other day in the listings of my favourite bitz seller on ebay, although I cannot seem to find it on any of the photos on the FW site -- will keep looking, though :wink:  The Putrid Blightkings kit also has a dagger bit that might work as a gladius, especially on a Chaos Space Marine. As for Talos' broken aquila chest piece, have you considered using a shaved-down torso from the Tartaros Terminators? They should fit truescaled Marines rather nicely, and I think I remember an aquila on one of them?! And even if not, it should be easy enough to add a press-moulded one to the chestpiece.

EDIT: Here's the one I was talking about.

I agree with Wicced regarding Uzas' head: I see what you were trying to do there, but if you really wanted to show his devolution, I'd go for a different head over that pretty Nurglite one: maybe the Khornate head from the WFB chaos chariot? A suitably psychotic rebreather head would also look cool. When all is said and done, however, I think you should stick with a helmet (never thought I'd say that :wink: ), because I remember several instances of 1st claw hearing Uzas lick his teeth over the vox, and this would obviously only work if he were wearing a helmet :wink:

Anyway, looking forward to your next update on this project, mate! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Aw man.. it all looks so awesome. Curze, enthusiastic beserker, the predator... but I think my favorite item might actually be the blood stains you put on the bottom of the banner. gives the impression that sometimes that guy gets tired after the battle and lets the cloth hang free, where it can be lapped by the pools of blood after a battle. 

Yep, the BA terminator front is the only Indomitus pattern one with an aquila that I can think of. Don't have the bit in front of me right now, but the head is molded in iirc which could be a bit of a pain to get rid of without inflicting too much damage. Very interested to see how these turn out, every Night Lord player should own a First Claw.

Thanks guys for all the feedback and tips regarding the bits. As most of it was about Uzas and as he is the guy that it turns out I have all the parts for anyway, I started working on him today.

I made a gladius for him using a normal WFB Chaos Warrior sword and shortening it, then sanding it until it was as sharp as the rest of the blade. Worked pretty well if you ask me! :tu: The chainaxe is made using a chaos terminator axe haft and a chaisaxe head, the arm is from a grey knight termie with some greenstuff. The shoulder parts are I believe from Zhufor, but he could be from a regular FW Khornate terminator - I'm not sure as I got them seperately from a bits site ages ago. The head is of course a Khorne Berzerker head without the bunny ears. He still needs some chain work done to hang some skulls from him, and I need to figure out how I'm going to do the flesh clack I might replace his left pad with a normal flat Chaos Terminator one and just hang the cloack around that, like in the awesome pic on ADB's site (thanks Chaplain Kage!)

What do you think? Feedback, as always, most welcome.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-202021.19.18_zpsrdpjlsim.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-202021.19.24_zpsxp9tumad.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-202021.19.33_zpsido62xu9.jpg

Replies!

@wicced: that's a good plan regarding the gladius. I think I'll just go for the broader of the two zerker sword and stick that on a grey knight glaive staff. 

@Brother Chaplain Kage: Thanks for that link. I'll be sure to send AD-B the pictures when they're done!

@KrautSientist: Thanks for the ideas. I solved the gladius issue, What do you think of Uzas' head?

I'm probably going to use this bit for Talos' torso:

http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/images/323417471497.jpg

The blood angels one you guys all mentioned was out of stock and I thick I could pull off a decent stylized double eagle head in place of that skull and bones. 

@Atia: ^^ that's the torso I'm going to use! But thanks a lot for thinking along with me!

@RolandTHTG: I'm glad you saw that detail mate. Yes, I was done with the BFTBG and the idea popped in my idea. I didn;t hesitate and two seconds later hey presto: it looks as it does now. :D

@sockwithaticket: See above. Thanks for the help and the comment mate! Always a pleasure to have you comment on my work. :tu: