++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Oh hello!

Well, I have two things that are cool to tell and then one thing that is cool to show. The family :censored: show has only gotten worse, so I'll just leave those out and focus on the positive things. 

First and most importantly: in less than a month I'll be a father to my second son - ie hobby virus victim, ie nurgling. 

Second, a while ago I sold Einherjar the Eternal / Captain Eight Legs to a guy I met on instagram. For those of you who can't remember or weren't around when I made and painted him, he's an eight-legged Lord of Skulls conversion I made waaaaay back in 2014. This guy:
88zlvHu.jpg

Well, the guy I sold it to, motleys.warhammer40k, had new pictures taken and posted them on his insta, which then got picked up by none other than MiniWargaming Dave, who gave full credits! That in itself was prety awesome, but then the following happened: MWGDave wrote in his post that he wanted it, and wanted to buy it off Motley. Motley declined, and then I thought "why not send MWGDave a message offering to build one for him." Which he accepted - so now I officially have a commission by MWGDave to build another Eight legged Lord of Skulls! :biggrin.::biggrin.:

Damn, pretty nifty, wouldn't you agree?

And then finally, the thing I wanted to show you - the Champion for the thrid and final Khorne Berzerker squad for the World Eater army I am bringing to No Retreat. 

Dbiam3e.jpg

fkMHGS9.jpg

iubV682.jpg

Now, there's a cfew things about this guy I'd like to highlight: let's start with the claws: they're part of a discontinued miniature called a Dreadlord by Artel W Miniatures. Aparently GW thought it was too close to their Night Lord IP and send a C&D, so it is now OOP, but I managed to get one of the very last. Its Lightning Claws are just incredible, to say the least, and I jut had to have a pair of them for the champion of the last berzerker squad. 
 Then there's the head, which is a new CSM head with the crest of a Blood Warrior glued to it, of which I really like the look and have decided to make more of. And lastly, the backpack. Oldies will recognize it as one of the three oldest Chaos Space Marines backpacks - one I've always had a soft spot for. I have a couple more and will most certainly be using them to decorate my Miniatures with. 

Anyhoo, I hope you've enjoyed this eventful update. Thanks for looking and for your feedback and comments. 

Cheers

@ Shovellovin: Cheers buddy! Like last time, I'll share some pictures of the armies. The event itself doesnt offer a life stream, plus I'll be mostly drunk the entire time. So no way your seeing the participation itself! :wink:

@ Forte: 
giphy.gif
Duuuuude! Suuuuuch a long time ago! Good to see you back on the board! (or have I missed your presence elsewhere?)

@ Paladin7221: Yeah he's alive and kicking for sure. Just no longer active on the board or blog, sadly. I miss him. 

@ Valkia the Bloody: The gore has already been offered up to Khorne. This is just them posing after washing up. ;) 

@ Gederas: Aww! Good to see you back too, budski! I found the thing with altering lists is to do it slowly - so one unit every couple of months. It gives you plenty of time to paint it and sreads cost far better than buying an entirely new army at the same time. Regarding Paypal: it's super easy and free to have a Paypal - just get one! 

@ BadgersinHills: Tanks a bunch, bud!

@ Freakshow668: Thank you! I'm looking forward to it. Won;t be as long as many days as before, but hey.

@ ChasSexington: Cheers bud. The chains I usually just glue on the ends (a big blob of gel-like super glue in a hidden place) and then here and there with tiny drops of liquidy super glue. I hope that helps! Feel free to ask more, I'm always happy to help. 

@ Markus_: Hey man thaks and welcome to this thread. 

@ thamier: Ooooh la la, another ancient Frater buddy comes back! You can't have them. Sorry. ;) 

New Berzerker looks good!

And cool to hear you're making another crabwalker, this time for MWGDave! Was part of the commission requirements be it feature in a list for Dave's next battle on YouTube and not the vault? ;)

First and most importantly: in less than a month I'll be a father to my second son - ie hobby virus victim, ie nurgling. 

@ Gederas: Aww! Good to see you back too, budski! I found the thing with altering lists is to do it slowly - so one unit every couple of months. It gives you plenty of time to paint it and sreads cost far better than buying an entirely new army at the same time. Regarding Paypal: it's super easy and free to have a Paypal - just get one!

So congrats on nurgling #2! But I totally misread that and thought you said "the virus victim" and thought you said your second son is "lockdown creation" :lol:

And I never left ;) I've just been lurking a lot. I mean now the owner of my FLGS is helping me also truescale my 30k Dark Angels by 3D Printing files I've found and paid for, so progress will start up again soon-ish in my main log thread :yes:

@ Forte:

giphy.gif

Duuuuude! Suuuuuch a long time ago! Good to see you back on the board! (or have I missed your presence elsewhere?)

Have dipped my toe into the Titanicus section lately, but I still get notifications about some classic threads. Yours is always showing something worth seeing.

Congrats on the Nurgling too btw.

Congratulations on your second child!!

It's cool that you're making something for MWG Dave, he seems like a really nice chap and I'm sure he's going to love the Lord of Skulls you make for him. 

Berserker champion looks great, the claws are a great choice and the head is nice. 

Did another one of the MkII World Eaters berzerkers, this time the Icon Bearer.

8w9Gsi0.jpg

iisTrBK.jpg

9xprAeo.jpg

Very, very old members of this board might recognize his banner and backpack from literaly the very first post I made on this board - a contribution to Doghouse's classic and seminal truescaling thread, in which I posted my Word Bearers Khornate Dark Apostle. I kept that miniature when I sold off my Word Bearers, and have now pilvered it that for these bits.

gallery_67710_7655_980663.jpg

It also features one of my new-CSM-helmets-with-Blood-Warrior-crest heads. I made several, and am very happy with the results:
EDIT: imgur just quit on me, I'll update them later.

As a last point, I was wondering if anybody can help with this bit from the Blood Reavers kit... I have plenty of bits to trade. Let me know!

Hidden Content

J3SFs8I.png

EDIT: found it, thanks everyone!
Let me know!

Cheers!

Replies:

@ Valkia the Bloody: Thanks bud!

@ Gederas: Oh you lurker! Well, I'm glad you left a comment! Lurkers are great, but this board lives or dies by everybody contributing. :smile.: <3

@ Fort Edited by Augustus b'Raass

The Lightning Claw champion looks so brutal, the helmet is really nicely done too! 

Cool news about the Lord of Skulls commission. Will you make any large changes to the pose or anything, or will it be pretty similar to the original?

New Berzerker looks great!

@ Gederas: Oh you lurker! Well, I'm glad you left a comment! Lurkers are great, but this board lives or dies by everybody contributing. :smile.: <3

Lack of motivation to paint or convert does wonders for making you into a lurker :laugh.: Especially combined with finding out your car is on it's last legs and you need to get a new one before July... And you haven't saved any money because you kept getting talked out of shopping for cars in the past :ermm:

(also doesn't help that most of my motivation for miniatures work presently is for non-B&C allowed content :laugh.:)

Edited by Gederas

• 4 weeks later...

Was asked on Instagram and Facebook what the paint recipe is for the terrain, so here it is for your viewing pleasure as well:

BLUE
- Basecoat GW The Fang Spray can
- Shade with a light airbrush spray of VMA Insignia/Signal Blue or GW Kantor Blue
- Highlight spray with GW Russ Grey
- Edge Highlight with Molotow ONE4ALL™ 227HS 4mm Ceramic Light Pastel
- rivets with Molotow 1,5mm Metallic Silver marker (that's about 2500 dots in two days....)

METAL PARTS

- 1:1 mix of AP Gun Metal and AP Rough Iron
- highlight with Molotow 1,5mm Metallic Silver marker
- wash with GW Agrax Earthshade

HAZARD STRIPES

- GW Averland Sunset and AP Matt Black

WEATHERING

- grime under-layer is a light airbrush spray of a 1:1:1 mix of GW Rhinox Hide, AP Matt Black, and VMA Rust
- chipping damage is a sponging with GW Rhinox Hide, then to simulate exposed metal, add a stripe or dot with a Molotox 1,5mm Metallic Silver marker
- Streaking with Molotow 1.5mm markers in Lobster and DARE orange colours

LIGHTS

- Green: airbrush GW Moot Green, mixing in with and up to GW Flash Gitz Yellow
- Red: airbrush GW Mephiston Red mixing in with and up to GW Flash Gitz Yellow

Cheers!

@ hushrong: Thanks a lot for everything! Glad you like the necro stuff. :smile.:

@ Gederas: I have a tile that says (translated to English): You don't stop gaming as you get older; you get older when you stop gaming. 

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Thank you!

@ Noctus Cornix: Cheers, buddy! Thanks for stopping by again. :smile.:

This is a great recipe, thank you!

• 1 month later...

Well, hello there. 

It's been almost three months, guys and gals. Not strange: my second son was born early March! Hurray! Downside is he had a weird cranial deformity. Long story short: we had two months of major worries, had about a thousand tests performed on him, and it eventually turned out to be non-syndromal, non-genetic, and harmless except that a piece of his skull had to be removed in a simple surgical procedure to allow for his head to develop and grow normally. That operation has been performed succesfully and now we can breath again. Few!

As you can imagine, we didn't know all this at the beginning of March, so tons of worries. I decided very early on that it'd be better if I had more time to spend on my family and so I cut into my hobby time and plans. Therefore I cancelled No Retreat XI
, which was a bummer and in hindsight I could have still made it but as it was back then, it was the right decision and I stand by it. 

I was lucky enough to be able to take two months off, so that was a relief and it also allowed me to get some R&R in between diapers, worries, and sleep. I did update my instagram, but not here, and so I intend to rectify that with a ton of posts over the next couple days, in which I summarize my hobby progress.

Let's start with what I already announced here: the second incarnation of Captain Eight Legs, as a commission for none other than Mini Wargaming Dave!

xEu4suw.jpg

JURslbD.jpg

Pretty amazing how after more than seven years and having no access to the figure because I've sold it off, I could still make this thing pretty much from memory - weird how memory works that way!

Well, I hope you like the pics. Thanks for looking and stay tuned for more upgrades. :)

Cheers!

Replies:

@ ChazSexington: Cheers bud! The MkII bodies are from the aptly named Ukranian company called Tortuga Bay. They've basically created their own, truescale versions of all the armour types, but better. There's even legion Specific bodies, like these World Eater lookalikes.  

@ Pearson73: Cheers! I can't believe I'm still answering your company after three months, but as you can see above: no, I'll not change very much about Captain Eight Legs' pose. :)

@ DuskRaider: hey buddy! Long time no see. I hope youre doing well and have gotten the hobby mojo back a little after that house fire. 

@ Gederas: Heyhey, well those are all good reasons. I hope you've found a car and also your mojo back a little. Take care, bud!

@ BadgersinHills: Thank you! It's an OOP GW produced one. 

@ Teetengee: Thank you! I have indeed made more crests!

@ Petioner's City: Hey man, I ahven't seen you comment on this thread before so welcome! Glad you found good use of the tutorial. :) 

He returns! I was actually going to message you and see how you are. Congrats on the second child and I'm glad to hear everything worked out! Sad to see you had to rescind the invitation, but now you have all the time in the world to make your World Eaters exactly as you want them instead of rushing to make the date.

Good to hear that your son had some complications but he has pulled through and things are looking up. Hobby time can a,ways wait when family issues arise. 

That monstrosity you’re building looks awesome! Excellent idea and execution. Will you paint it the same as your previous creation or do something different?

Cheers, everyone.

Captain Eight Legs has been shipped to a painting service in the UK, and when deliverd to MWG Dave, I'll share some content here, for sure!

Meanwhile, I've tackled a big project: my second Brass SCorpion of Khorne - I bought this thing years ago, back in 2016 I think, for a youngster at my local FLS so we could combine shipping and save some cash. He never picked it up (and never paid me) so it's been in my pile of shame since hten. Becaue I combined paternity leave and child care days with some vacation weeks, I had eight weeks of essentially paternity leave after the birth of my 2nd son, so I thought I'd use that time to tackle a big project. On average I could manage about an hour a day of hobby time between sleep, diapers, and managing the 2-year old. So Greater Brass SCorpion it was!

Pictures of the building process:

I decided to exchange the Scoprion Cannon with the muzzle of a Forgefiend's Hades Autocannon
YBNsEvh.jpg

Pinning the legs:

Ira5SIr.jpg

Hanging skulls strapped to chains from the armour plates
n3ebG84.jpg

Gave it a proper 160mm official GW base with some treebark and a LOT of skulls:

knHtkr6.jpg

Finished build:

DmBifDB.jpg

Detail Shots
rqYayaR.jpg

I hope you like! Thanks for looking.

I'll continue to post stuff to get back o track and up to speed with my hobby progress, so stay tuned. :)

Cheers!

Replies:

@ Tankus Wokus: Thank you man! I can but try ;) 

@ DuskRaider: Aww, thanks man, that's sweet of you! I wouldn't have rushed the paint and building jobs if I had gone to NRXI, but it'd certainly put a heavty toll on my off hours, and so this does give me a bit of leeway. And more sleep.

@ Sherrypie: cable braiding :biggrin.: Yeah it's a lot of work but well worth the effort in the end. 

@ BadgersinHills: Thanks buddy! Iappreciate it :) 

@ Shovellovin: Absolutely. Family first. Captain Eight Legs was just a building commission, so someone else is painting it as we speak. 

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Whoa, that looks awesome! You took a great model and made it better. I love the pistons on the weapon as well, makes it look much more realistic and like it could handle all of that weight up high but I REALLY like the skulls all over it. What did you do, buy out every Vampire Counts skeleton kit in your country? :P

Lemme post somethign very recent: the (intended) Chaos Cultist Champion for my World Eaters. I built it last year and it has been sat at my desk for quite a while, but I suddenly had some inspiration to tackle that large area of flesh and finally painted him. 

His backstory is he's such a fanboy of the World Eaters he scavenged a shoulder pad from a dead Ultramarine, defaced the inverted omgeon Chapter icon with a blody khornate rune, and strapped it to his shoulder. :D

AaJIxrN.jpg

I say *intended* champion, because right after finishing this guy, I had a further burst of inspiration and decided to make an entire ten-man cultist squad using only fat guys from the citadel range - this Nurgle Lord of Plagues, but also the Nurgle Lord of Blights, the AoS Bloodstoker from the 1st edition starter set, and of course the two different Bloaters from the Nurgle Blood Bowl Team! Two of each individual of these miniatures will give me a ten man squad and plenty of conversion opportunity. I'm super stoked about it! It's quite a spendy project (the Lord of Blights alone costs EU22.50 and I need two!), but the level of excitement I feel about is at about the same level I had when I started my poxwalker building and painting spree and we all know how that went.  (for those of you who don't - I built and painted 105 unique poxwalkers in 11 days) 

Anyhoo.

I REALLY like the skulls all over it. What did you do, buy out every Vampire Counts skeleton kit in your country? :tongue.:

@ DuskRaider: Erm..... you have heard about the Citadel Skulls Kit, haven't you? I've gone through six since it came out, three of which in the last year building World Eaters, and exactly one of those three was for Brass Scorpion. I completely ran out of skulls at the end (which probably explains the lack fo jawless skulls, as I tend to favour those). So I ressupplied myself. Tadaaaaa:

aRKlOgp.jpg

@ Sherrypie: haha festive indeed! He'll happily crash any party!

@ BadgersinHills: Well thank you! Let's see you say something similar about the above cultist :biggrin.:

@ Machanist: Calling me 'the renegade master' is a very much appreciated compliment. Thank you! I'm honoured and humbled. Also thanks for your commiserations. 

Edited by Augustus b'Raass