Queen Bee Knight -- Thank you! Please read the new post

JeffTibbetts

You could also just take a nod from FW Titans - http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Titans/MARS-PATTERN-WARHOUND-TITAN-BODY.html

That particular pilot has a nice knightly-like breast plate on (as opposed to the crew in the Reaver). If you could score that throne/pilot bit you might well be on your way. The chair looks pretty rigid (as opposed to the Thunderbolt cockpit the other guy used) and you can make some conversions as needed. Probably a tough bit to come up with though. Inspiration at least.

I'm still baffled as to why GW did not include it... than again, I guess they don't really do so for some of their tanks.

You could also just take a nod from FW Titans - http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Titans/MARS-PATTERN-WARHOUND-TITAN-BODY.html

That particular pilot has a nice knightly-like breast plate on (as opposed to the crew in the Reaver). If you could score that throne/pilot bit you might well be on your way. The chair looks pretty rigid (as opposed to the Thunderbolt cockpit the other guy used) and you can make some conversions as needed. Probably a tough bit to come up with though. Inspiration at least.

I'm still baffled as to why GW did not include it... than again, I guess they don't really do so for some of their tanks.

Thanks again, man. I trolled around and found a fair bit of resource material, plus what you fine folks have sent me. I think I've decided that this will be a scratch build or nothing for me. The only thing I'm shaky on is having never sculpted a face, but I'm willing to give it a try. The titan pilot is what I would do if I were still going to have her be an active part of her Knightly household, but she's not. She's a Freeblade, largely operating without support from her family and far from the courtly life and the garb that goes with it. I've been thinking of her more like a lovable rogue (a la the Han Solo archetype) and as such, she'll dress in rough, but practical clothes. Nothing fancy. I'm thinking about going sort of WW2 ace pilot or Rosie the Riveter look, or a tank top and suspenders as it probably gets pretty hot in the cabin.

Okay, progress on the legs!

gallery_74115_9313_19843.jpg

Here are the pistons on the legs, done and glued in place. The feet are not, though. They're just chilling. I was cool with the right leg's hip webbing, but I didn't like the angle on the left one. I looked at it, and figured the rings could nest into each other a bit and collapse their shape, so I opted to basically cut away the outside ring and add just a bit of the interior peeking out on the inside of the joint. I had to bulk out the other three, though, to give it the right width.

gallery_74115_9313_239645.jpg

Here you can see the sculpted bit, and I had just started cutting away the outer ring when I realized I should snap a pic. It may have been easier to cut it away first but it did allow me a nice place to hold while sculpting. I hadn't sanded this at all yet, so there are some rough spots.

gallery_74115_9313_357653.jpg

Here they are next to each other so you can see the difference. The thinner one has slightly thinner bands, and you can see the interior band has been almost collapsed into the next one. On the hip itself, there's a slight gap so I'll actually be adding a spot of GS to add a sliver more of that interior band. You can also see where I used the putty to build up the front of the knee just a bit where the saw had shaved some off. Also, it's hard to see in this pic but I blended the ball on the ankle into the lower leg. Honestly, these areas will be hard to see with the armor in place but still... I think it's worth it to take some time with it.

gallery_74115_9313_51919.jpg

Here are her legs, ready to be attached to the hips. I like to think of this as her sassy teenager pose, but keep in mind that leg will be up and standing on some wreckage. Like this:

gallery_74115_9313_310689.jpg

And this pic doesn't really do it justice, but this is something like what that will look like. The legs are actually glued in place now, and the pistons in the inner thigh are in place. You'll notice that one is shortened and the other has some white plastic rod in there.That was necessary to get the right spacing. You'll also see where the hose is cracked, but that's okay because I had planned an adding something there anyway. I had the idea early on to choose some hoses and pipes and make it look like she'd done some repairs to leaks with the equivalent of duct tape. :D Or maybe a rag tied on. At any rate, I'd like the tube to hang more naturally so I'll be bending it. I may have to resculpt the whole tube in GS if I can't get it to bend right. I know I mentioned this but I did order one of these GS ribbed tube makers for the back of the legs. This one is easy enough as is but I'll probably try to bend it like Beckham with a hair drier first.

Coming together soooo nice!! Shakira would be proud!! But I have to say, Shakira is a lot hotter!! ;)

End of Line

The Queen Bee's melta cannon would disagree :p

She's a Freeblade, largely operating without support from her family and far from the courtly life and the garb that goes with it. I've been thinking of her more like a lovable rogue (a la the Han Solo archetype) and as such, she'll dress in rough, but practical clothes. Nothing fancy. I'm thinking about going sort of WW2 ace pilot or Rosie the Riveter look, or a tank top and suspenders as it probably gets pretty hot in the cabin.

While I love the idea of a misunderstood and feisty woman knight pilot, its best to be aware that 'tank top and suspenders' conjures an image more on the lines of 'chief cultist in slaaneshi warband' if stated with a British accent. Suspenders is a word that has subtly altered its meaning when crossing the Atlantic I fear.

Excellent thread you have here by the way. The level of detail is astounding.

You mean it isn't those thingies used to keep your pants up?

Also, I'm kinda wondering on what would be the best way to do the cockpit...

At least I got a bunch of rhinos laying about that can be cannibalised should it be necessary.

It might also make a nice third party after-market upgrade kit...

Anyhow, looks good and I can't wait to see more.

Ha ha, no. In Britain, suspenders are the little elastic thingies used to attach a woman's stockings to a garter belt. More rocky horror picture show than grizzled truck mechanic.

The land raider kit comes with some good interior panels you could incorporate into a cockpit. Both the internal doors and the control panels are pretty nicely detailed.

Right. Thats it - from now on you have to use a ZZ Top song name every time you update a thread title tongue.png

Oh, yeah, and the knight is becoming incredibly epic too. She's gonna look sweet next to those Eagle Eyes thumbsup.gif

That's One Fast Dressed Knight!

Haha! I'll take the subtle shades of meaning for "suspenders" under advisement. I've no interest in making her a trumped up sex object. She might want to dress like that for her lover, but surely not in the throne of a venerable beast of war such as The Queen Bee.

I remember clearly when I was 10, on my first and (sadly) only trip to the UK to visit my stepfather's family, when a young nephew of my stepdad (he was probably 7) asked me for a rubber. I almost spit my drink out. I learned shortly after that this was what we call an eraser on this end of the pond. Otherwise, I don't think they make them small enough.

Language is fun.

Or one could resist the urge to sex it up and go the completely different way. My personal feelings towards ADB notwithstanding, he did a superb job describing Zarha the Crone of Invigilata as a sort of very unlovely ancient bionic mermaid floating in a tank.

As sexy as it is to drive a giant robot, this is 40K and not Evangelion. Ugly is the order of the day.

She's a Freeblade, largely operating without support from her family and far from the courtly life and the garb that goes with it. I've been thinking of her more like a lovable rogue (a la the Han Solo archetype) and as such, she'll dress in rough, but practical clothes. Nothing fancy. I'm thinking about going sort of WW2 ace pilot or Rosie the Riveter look, or a tank top and suspenders as it probably gets pretty hot in the cabin.

While I love the idea of a misunderstood and feisty woman knight pilot, its best to be aware that 'tank top and suspenders' conjures an image more on the lines of 'chief cultist in slaaneshi warband' if stated with a British accent. Suspenders is a word that has subtly altered its meaning when crossing the Atlantic I fear.

Excellent thread you have here by the way. The level of detail is astounding.

+1 to language barrier

Always funny to tell Brits in soccer to go shag the balls lol

Tibbets, do you plan on making a mechanicum retinue for your Titan?

I do not, no. House Tibbetts is Imperial-aligned and she's Freeblade anyway. She's not overfond of the AdMech, to put it mildly. I, however, think they're awesome and maybe some day if I win the lottery I'll do them as allies. The FW stuff is great.

Ha ha, no. In Britain, suspenders are the little elastic thingies used to attach a woman's stockings to a garter belt. More rocky horror picture show than grizzled truck mechanic.

The land raider kit comes with some good interior panels you could incorporate into a cockpit. Both the internal doors and the control panels are pretty nicely detailed.

Yeah, sorry, never payed too much attention to how Frank N Fürther exactly looks.

Either way, it is still used to keep something up.

Now, a woman with a tank top and trouser supporters might have its charms, though.

Bonus points for places to put tools on said supporters.

As for the LR, not sure how willing I am to use those parts.

I might have to look at some model aircraft's roosterholes as well for parts.

Think I got an old 1/35 apache somewhere that might do nicely...

As sexy as it is to drive a giant robot, this is 40K and not Evangelion. Ugly is the order of the day.

What about BattleTech?

Sure got some ugly 'Mechs in there.

Not to mention some of the pilots.

Did a little bit more work, but not all that much. It's my daughter's Spring Break so we've been doing fun stuff. Here's the update, though.

gallery_74115_9313_28783.jpg

Since the hips sit at a funny angle now, I moved the 'nipple' to the new top. I'll be adding magnets to keep it in the right place. Also, note the duct tape on the inner thigh tube. :D

gallery_74115_9313_291659.jpg

My attempt at making the chainsword arm's working piston. The pins are an axle, but the truth is no matter what you do there's really no way to make the piston long enough to make this worthwhile. Next time, I wouldn't bother with this.

gallery_74115_9313_37232.jpg

And this is a mock up of the final pose. Headless, obviously. I like the sense of movement, myself. Paid off for me, big time.

You can see the amount of effort you are putting into this is paying off now. 

I bet you cant wait to get some paint on it? 

Id have painted the legs by now as I couldnt wait.... 

Its going to be a good build once its done

Archived