Its knight time

koran

OK, so first cast is done. I did expect a few air bubbles (I dont have a vacuum chamber as I have mentioned before) and there were a few (see below)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/NeilCollins_/Knight/DSCF5401_zps18d1a6be.jpg

But they were easy to fix with a little greenstuff and Ive got the first fist made for my knight.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/NeilCollins_/Knight/DSCF5402_zpsba5bdb5d.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/NeilCollins_/Knight/DSCF5403_zps54aedac9.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/NeilCollins_/Knight/DSCF5405_zpsee3e5839.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/NeilCollins_/Knight/DSCF5406_zpsac0ac3de.jpg

I have not put any rivets on the fist (I will add them later) as they would trap air in the casts and just cause a problem that needed to be fixed each cast.

Hehe.... Unfortunately the thumb is slightly higher on one side and the fist is a asymmetrical to make it look correct on the left side so it would look odd with one on both arms so reversing it will be tricky.  I cant see a reason not to have two fists though.  You could always try and mount the gun on the back carapace :p

OK, so requests for fists have king of turned my dinning room into a production line as you can see!

But I have had time to order the airbrush paints I need (really wish they would hurry up and arrive!) and Ive put bluetack on all of the contact points when gluing.  This means that when I paint the armour and the metalic bits apart the glue wont touch the paint and cause issues with gluing.

Now off to buy some undercoat

So some painting has finally begun!  This is more of a test on the colours than anything. Im thinking that I need to go to a lighter red on the airbrush blending as the varnish I use seems to mute it a lot. Other than that Im pretty happy on how its looking though.

Anyway, here it is:

Very nice. I actually like the muted look - it makes the Knight look aged. If you do want to pursue that look though, you might want to tone down the Taranis emblem (which looks great as is) so that it also appears more aged.

That said, this is probably beyond what I will be able to do when I get my hands on a KNight! :D

You're right that the transfer will need to be toned down.  I havent used transfers much before (I normally hand paint but wanted to try something new).  I will use some weathering pigments later to see if I can get it to match the paint job.

Lack of light means you cant really see the shading on the red but wanted to put up a pic of how the work is going.  I tried a new way of doing checks and it seems to have worked.  Ive began doing battle damage but need to continue on the rest and do the panel lines before the metal edging..  When painting with an airbrush I normally airbrush a satin varnish to protect the paint and then I take that off with a matt varnish later.  But looking at it the satin sheen looks quite nice.  I think I will see how it looks but only on the armour plates as if it is some sort of highly polished enamel.  Well thats the plan, if not I can always use the matt varnish later :p

Masked.  First time not doing them freehand but IM quite happy with the results.

OK, so a bit more work done on the armour.  I wanted to help make the access panels stand out a little so some hazard lines seemed to be a good idea.  Im pretty happy with how it looks.

Also threw some checkers on the fist.

I have started to do the weathering as I wanted the highlights on the paint layer to be varnished but the "dinks" not to be.  Same for the panel lines so they aren't done yet either.

So I have started on the metalics.  Here is the body (well the beginnings of):

Bigger thing is that Im trying to work out what to do for the brass that will line the armour plates.  Ive painted up two options and Id appreciate any votes on which to go for (I know the lighting isnt great so sorry about that):

The red is actual very simple but has a simple ingredient :p  It is airbrushed from a grey basecoat using Vallejo hull red, then a mix of hull red and itallian red and then just the itallian red.  Then the final bit is for the sheen (and it really helps to bring the colours together) I use this:

Apparently some nutters use this stuff on their floor!  What a waste!  Frustratingly I cant seem to find this in the UK any more to have to get it from the US.  Im down to my last bottle but its still pretty full.  In the future I will have to find another person to blackmail into sending me some :p

Thanks for the tut. Now I just need to translate those into GW colours! :P

I agree with JeffTibbetts - the left one has more depth and looks to have been around for a longer period.

Thanks for the votes guys.

Did a little bit of freehand on the name.  I couldnt have a model with no freehand on it after all :p (Sorry about the dark lighting)

Ive also began putting the legs together so I can get the highlights and the "sky/earth" line correct in terms of their positioning relative to the horizon.  Still need to work on the brass as well as the steel: (again, sorry about the pics, the sheen on the armour got some unwanted glare)

Pushing onwards!  Been working on the gun (I flit around from part to part as the mood takes me so sorry if it makes this thread a pain to follow :p).

I wanted it to look used but not heavily battle worn.  I added some discolouration to the brass colour by giving it a slight purple and red tinge (its really only just visible in person but it does change the overall colour) and then airbrushed the burnt effect over the top.  As the paint was drying I ran my finger over the edges to give a bit of definition to the shape and helps to make the burnt sections stand out.  Still needs work on the back of the gun and the brass on the upper arm, the pistons and the metal behind the shield.  Striking a balance between looking too new or too battle worn is taking some time but its fun.

Archived