Its knight time

koran

Thanks for the comment.

Well first thing's first, Ive got the base started.  I was going to something a bit more but as the knight will probably end up being sold to fund future projects I wanted it to be generic enough that anyone would be happy to include it in with their normal army bases.  So that left me with a standard looking battlefield.  Obviously there is more to go but this will be the basis:

In more exciting news (well at least for me) is that Im now happy to call the fist complete.  I wanted the brass to look battered/dented as its going to be taking quite a few hits.  The same went for the paint work and the fingers themselves.  I was quite happy with how it turned out but a little something was missing. After a day of thinking on it I realised that the fingers (and pistons on the rest of the model) would need to be able to move and that requires some kind of oil to keep everything running smooth.  A little oil paint and some smoothing out in the general joint areas and I was good to go.  So here is the fist:

Lovely work :)

As for your Pledge with Future Shine issue, you can get it in the UK under the name "Pledge Multi-surface Wax".

It's a new formula which is a little opaque, but I've been informed that it works exactly like the old stuff.

Here's a Youtube vid explaining exactly that, though he does go on a bit :lol: -

@ Depthcharge:  Id be happy to do a tutorial but because it involves an airbrush and masking it isnt really suitable for smaller scale models like infantry.  Im debating when to do next as I only have one fist left and dont want to not have any cast if people contact me for another but that requires me making a new mould so Im unsure if it is worth the time.  If I do have the time over the weekend I will pull out a step by step but I think it will probably have to wait a little.  But it will be done, promise.

@ Razblood: That's awesome news!  I will have to find some and try it out!  Thanks a lot.

Couldnt really face any "painting" today so I worked on the base and got that done:

I also thought a bit about some accessories and started work on a banner.  For the pole I have trusted in steel (much as the mechanicum would).  Now normally I would do the actual banner in green stuff but at this size I didnt think it will be solid enough.  The other option is plasticard but then that is harder to bend to shape.  Ive ended up going for plasticard which I will add some greenstuff wrinkles to.  Then I will cast it (smooth it further if needed) and use hot water to flex it into an interesting shape to give more flow.

Pole:

And the basic banner shape:

Well the banner hit a bump.  When I tried to cast up the banner the pole was just to easy to snap as you can see (sorry, blury pic):

To solve the issue I decided to pull out the banner pole of the original and recast it.  That way Im left with a banner without the vertical pole:

Add in the pole and I have a more solid pole that wont snap:

Next up I will heat the banner up in hot water and then I can bend it slightly so it looks more like natural cloth.

Water boiled and banner played with.  Pretty happy with it.  As you can see all the brass has still not been completed on the top canopy (compare it to the shoulders and you can see its totally different).  So Ive still got that to do, as well as finish the steel metal, the loin cloth and decide what to do with the larger banner. Im thinking a large machanicus symbol on the larger banner.  Any ideas?

An idea blatantly stolen from the community of my other hobby ( G.I.Joe ), if you do an actual cloth banner: use a light linen, or muslin cloth, and coat it in watered down wood glue. As it dries, around the point of warmed up plasticard, you can pose it. 

Id considered a cloth banner.  Ive just never seen it done well.  Also that would mean replacing the lower banner.  Even then Im not sure they look that good.

Ive got the brass finished.  Im not sure is the sky line is too dark.  Mmm....  

Need to work out what to on the banners.  But Im thinking for the upper banner the mechanicus symbol with fire behind it.  Would be a nice challenge to do fire well.

I think the skyline looks great on the narrower trim bits. On the main broad trim about the canopy, I'd consider making the dark band much, much more narrow. We need to get closer to the base color again to feel the effect.

The whole thing looks stunning, no matter. It's all coming together very nicely. And man, does that fist look great. Blends right in as though it was meant to be in the kit In the first place.

Good comment Jeff, thanks.

Ive added to the horizon line to make it less dark (well thinner) and Im much happier with the results.  I think I may have to blend the dark line into the brass below but it looks alright from a distance.

Also, having sprayed the banner I noticed some really small airbubbles I hadnt seen.  I think I must have left the resin out too long and it got some dust in it.  So I have cast up another and its perfect.  Ive bent it again to show the wind.

So first up is an issue.  I really wanted the background of the banner to be flames but two tries in I just cant get it to look right.  It always looks to full or not very realistic.  Im not beating myself up about it (too much) as airbrushing fire is meant to be pretty hard (which I can not attest to) on a normal scale, let alone something this small.  Anyway, Im giving up on the fire for the banner (though I did go out and buy some canvas and an easel to get some practice.  So hopefully some day in the future!

With that in mind Ive gone on to the mechanicus symbol.  I started with the biological skull.  I give it a basic airbrush blend and the went over this with a brush to add in specific highlights and shading.  Next step will be the mechanical side.  I was looking to do it as a steel/chrome.  Again, may be a little beyond my ability but its all about pushing to improve :p

So this banner is kicking my ass.  I tried doing the other half of the mechanicus skull in metal but it doesnt look right on a banner.  And NMM as steel was too light and I wanted it to reflect the colours of the standard symbol (black and white), so that was the second try down the drain.

So in the end I went for a kind of acrylic black (like darth vaders helmet).  That way it is more interesting than back but has more of a shine to it.  Not tried it before but Im quite happy with how it has turned out (though its far from perfect):

Just need to do the cog around the outside now.

That's some insane freehand there, bro. Like I'm dead jealous here. Also those gorgeous checkers and that awesomely made fist, makes this easily one of the best knight's i've seen

i agree!!!  love the freehand. looks sweet how it is now, but with those freehand skills ; screw the purity seals, go for some more sweetness. " freehand "

im just sayen.

Archived