Thanks guys.

@Infyrana: Indeed. Baby blue is not my favourite colour. Considering they are described as Cobalt and are called Ultramaines I though a deeper, richer blue was in order. I've tried for something nearer Neil Roberts colour form the novel artwork.

@Magicman: It is (or rather was!) the Chaos Champ.

Man that paint job is making me want to repaint my remaining Ultramarines a darker, richer blue and I love the repurposing of the Chaos Champion model, great idea. 

However he just doesn't seem as well armed or ornate enough for a Legion Champion IMO, all the Ultramarines characters in the HH are described as pretty heavily ornamented and armed with some pretty rare and impressive armaments. Standard power armor and a chainsword just seems a little common by comparison. However I admit it does speak to the functionality of the Ultramarines in a way, so that's cool too, just not the way I would have gone.

I'll try and find the fluff I wrote to go with him.

He's a survivor on Calth and has a reputation for simplistic brutality - he stands a clear head above many of his brothers (that champion model is HUGE!). I wanted something that conveyed the idea that although the Ultras are often flashy in their gilding and decor, they also amongst the most pragmatic of Legions and will willingly take function over form.

Aha! Found it:

Dyon Gask was a brute of a child – a product of years spent at his father’s side working the agri-fields of Calth. It was little wonder that he stood out amongst the candidates for induction to the XIII

shortly after recruitment from Ultramar began.

After implantation of the ossmodula and biscopea Gask grew massively,

becoming a hulking monstrosity. The adepts of the Apothecarion were keen to put down such a freakish abnormality, but Gask had shown a natural talent for warfare, leadership and tactics during early training and the Legion were willing to allow the initiate to continue the creation process.

Gask gained a reputation over many decades as a solid, dependable line soldier. It wasn’t until after the attrition at Gyndire X that Gask received his first promotion to the rank of sergeant in one of the tactical assault squads in the 113th Company, under the then Captain Leonid. It was here that Gask began to show his military potential and after Leonid was promoted to

lieutenant commander, he elected Gask to take his place.

Gask still leads from the front and his continued use of his old assault weapons and battle-scarred hybridised warplate reflects this.

Archived