The Astra Militarum Future

Julgolax

My question for all Imperial Guard veterans is; will the Astra Militarum be the beginning of a more worthy, more powerful, and more interesting Hammer of the Emperor?

There doesn't seem to be much NEW about them from what we've seen from the rumor mill at BoLS. Aside from psychopathic stormtroopers, a close combat variant of Ogryns, and a transport to carry Ogryns, it seems we have just rules and supplements to look for.

What I do look forward to is the possibility of more of a synergy between vehicles and infantry as well as lesser dependency on moving those massive infantry squads.

What do you vets think?

For my part, it's too early for me to have an opinion. I have to see what the actual codex holds. So far, though, it looks like it's just a name change (wouldn't Adeptus/Departmento Munitorum have been more appropriate? It wouldn't require retconning).

Well, I'm hoping to see a lot of our rules cleaned up for the current edition. Leman Russ got a bit of a rough treatment with the change to "heavy tanks", extra gear such as grenades will be just rolled into point cost for the unit.

The thing about Guard just about every codex update has had new rules be the main thing that changes the Guard more so that the hot new models. Orders were a biiiig change last time. If we get anything like Chapter Tactics or a new means of fielding our guys, that'll be a game changer. The new models we've been given a hint at looks to correct or adjust our lackluster elites section. Big Ogryns squads and new Stormtroopers will really go a long way in changing up lists.

So to sum up, I'm rather optimistic. More powerful? Maybe, but more interesting? Definitely.

My question for all Imperial Guard veterans is; will the Astra Militarum be the beginning of a more worthy, more powerful, and more interesting Hammer of the Emperor?

I have a lot of mixed emotions here. I have been playing Imperial Guard through 5 editions. I admit it wasn't always my full time army.

Your question is subjective. Would I like a new unit, maybe, I don't know. I am among the ?few? players who like loads of ordinary guardsmen above all other elite choices. If I had my way the codex would have more artillery and less "fun and interesting units".

I believe in the King, Queen and prince of battle as well as logistics. The Guard lets me build armies around those and feels undefeatable to me.

All I want in a new codex is for it to be playable. No goofy death star or supper elite unit that is a must have to win with. 

What I do look forward to is the possibility of more of a synergy between vehicles and infantry as well as lesser dependency on moving those massive infantry squads.

And to that I say . Best of luck. 

I am among the few? players who like loads of ordinary guardsmen above all other elite choices.

I share the same opinion, having massive numbers thats kind of the whole Guard thing. To me that's part of the charm of playing Guard.

The Elite choice that I use today is Guardsman Marbo. In my last game he finally killed some models, 7 Assault troops got blasted awaycool.png

As said it's too early to say anything, and we won't know for sure until after the codex is out and we've had time to play. So far though I'm not sure, a new codex is always a time of trepidation and our current one has plenty of flexibility in how you can play. If the codex has lots of options and isn't too restrictive that's the most important thing along with good balance.

Does anyone know the reason for the name change? 

And yes, if there was a name change, Departmento Munitorum would have been a better and more accurate choice tho?

I wonder if this has to do with the Chapterhouse Studio appeal

Does anyone know the reason for the name change? 

And yes, if there was a name change, Departmento Munitorum would have been a better and more accurate choice tho?

I wonder if this has to do with the Chapterhouse Studio appeal

I think it was to do with GW realising that they couldn't hold onto the IP of certain names so they rename a few things and then can hold onto them, at least that seems to be the case.

They already have the "Space Marines", so they may as well link it up with "Space Military".

Sucks that Space Military is replacing Imperial Guard. One sounds so imposing, and the other so goofy; guess that's why they stuck it in Latin.

They already have the "Space Marines", so they may as well link it up with "Space Military".

Sucks that Space Military is replacing Imperial Guard. One sounds so imposing, and the other so goofy; guess that's why they stuck it in Latin.

Agreed. Games workshop is dumb.

It makes sense. Now anyone saying they are third parties making modification pieces for "Imperial Guards" would not get in trouble, because it could be applicable to any kind of Imperial Guards (from chinese, to Star Wars, to Napoleonic). What makes them think the third parties will stop calling it Imperial Guards? dumb...

The ridiculous things they do just to secure an IP... If only they were chill about it, how much smoother things would be.

Lets not quibble over the name please, that isn't what I'm asking about. I'm asking what you guys think we will be seeing for the rules and weather or not the Astra Militarum will still perform like it has been in the current edition Imperial Guard or if new rules will likely change how your average force performs completely.

Personally, doing more searching, it sounds that we will be seeing more emphasis on infantry and special formations. The tank hordes will surely be there still but since this edition focuses more on ranged combat, flyers, and tank killers, I believe we will see a resurgence in mechanized infantry hordes and fliers.

I might even, eventually, pick up the book and a big box, or two myself.

The Adeptus Astartes (Ineptus Astartes the way I roll) are known as Space Marines so why can't Imperial Guard be the colloquial name with the Departmento Munitorum being the logistics arm of the Astra Militarum?  Seems less of a retcon and more of adding extra layers on our already decadent fluff cake, but I digress.

For me, nothing will change with my Guard army as I tend towards massed infantry with some Ogryns (an event model forces me to use them as often as possible).  There are times when I mix it up and load up on the Leman Russ and Sentinels instead, but as I only own one Chimera (with a hardwood floor and fireplace for the Warlord) there is little that the new codex could change.  I do plan on eventually getting one of those new armored snow groomers, but that is low on the list.  Should a new Krieg list come out, however, then I may very well be changing things, but we shall need to wait and see.

No details are out yet, so there's nothing really to discuss, other than wishlisting.

The Nerf/Buff hammer will come out, of course. Flyers should get worse, Roughriders/Ogryns better. Stormtroopers and tanks cheaper. Etc.

This is good news for me, considering I have 30 Kasrkin and 30 older metal stormtroopers! :D

I believe we will see a resurgence in mechanized infantry hordes

And that's the best part. It's always about massed units. 

Right now I get a squad with a grenade launcher and a missile launcher mounted in a Chimera for 125 points per squad. Dirt cheap? I'd love a points reduction.

Please let me field more!

More basic squads and More artillery! When I have done this I only need, no I only choose to use 1 aircraft. Don't need more but I wouldn't shy away from it either.

To really play IG you have to want to inflict table top war crimes as well as win the game lol.

The GW pendulum swings; the strong made weak and the weak made strong. It is the nature of life in a new codex yet all are slaves to the omnipotent Rule of Shinies :P

I should dig out my half painted Stormies, I get the feeling I might be needing them soon. I'm expecting something like maybe a Stormie/Scion regiment being possible? We can already do massive infantry companies and plenty of tanks, so I don't see that changing much. Unless GW somehow lets us fit more in?

I look at it like this, if I can continue to use the miniatures I've bought/converted with only a reshuffling of points. I'll be fine, though once I find out that a significant portion of my collection is nullified, I'm going to lose it.

Thankfully. . . I already have a ton of Chimeras, Troops/Vets and a venerable out of assorted tanks.

Though the rumors of having a Baneblade in game would be neat, but I do hope they don't take out the Deathstrike. I'm quite partial to that finicky as Hell ICBM.

Well said, uberwolve! I stand ready to commit table top war crimes! thumbsup.gif

To the topic, beyond the (pit and the) pendulum of power levels, beyond re-costing that may change how much stuff you throw on the table at a given points value, what I really am thinking about is this:

If the old form was "Imperial Guard" becomes "Traitor Guard" or "Renegade Guard" what will we do with Astra Militarum? Astra Militarum Sceleratus? Milites Renegatus? I'm having trouble isolating a catchy turn of phrase, and may just go with "Renegades".

but I do hope they don't take out the Deathstrike. I'm quite partial to that finicky as Hell ICBM.

Why would they take out the Deathstrike, when the sell the model for it?

GW lately has only removed things they don't sell models for.

Wish list? Regiment Traits? ( bascially go back to the doctrines of the previous book)

Usable storm troopers. 

Less artillery and more tanks. I dunno, I prefer tanks, and would rather see LR's duking it out with the enemy then lobbing Manticore missiles or Basilisk shells...

Point reduction for hellhound class vehicles.

Sentinels back as an HQ option. IG oddly enough has too many FA choices! 

Otherwise I'm good with everything. Oh....no dropping of any units. But make Ratlings able to operate as single models rather than a unit of snipers. 

There doesn't seem to be much NEW about them from what we've seen from the rumor mill at BoLS. Aside from psychopathic stormtroopers, a close combat variant of Ogryns, and a transport to carry Ogryns, it seems we have just rules and supplements to look for.

What do you vets think?

More worthy, more powerful, more interesting?  I need none of these things.  What I need are bodies to soak up the enemy's fire until its guns run dry, blood to hallow the field of my triumph, and a nigh-inexhaustible supply of reinforcements.  Give me those things, and by the Emperor, I will have victory.

If the old form was "Imperial Guard" becomes "Traitor Guard" or "Renegade Guard" what will we do with Astra Militarum? Astra Militarum Sceleratus? Milites Renegatus? I'm having trouble isolating a catchy turn of phrase, and may just go with "Renegades".

It's a revolution! It's probably going to be "The people's army of..." or "Disciples of the true gods" or something like that, with lots of local variance. Even though we know they fight for the same cause, they don't know that... ;)

Guardsmen, Ruses and Chimeras are eternal and I doubt GW will mess with what plastic they already sell us, so we shouldn't be concerned about losing anything directly. There's still the chance some sort of regimental rules pop up that limit use in some way though.

Archived