Afternoon y'all -

A few replies first:

@Athrawes - thanks for posting mate, waiting on some more primer to get them painted. I'll try and get some pictures of a whole fleet arrayed for war, for you.

@Chaplian Mortis - thank you for commenting, i've really enjoyed painting the terminators, they are easy enough to highlight with more "sharp edges" than the standard Indomitus pattern. Hopefully i'll get around to doing some Cataphractii at some point. Never fear though, i'll be continuing this log with all my new projects as they develop. I think it'll help focus some of my work if it's all in the one place, and the feedback on B&C is really helpfully.

@Brother Tyrax - cheers! thanks for taking the time to comment.

While i'm waiting on my new primers for the final Blood Angels, i've carried on with the sergeant for the Honour Guard - he'll also pull duty as an HQ depending on points cost and opponents.

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_0580.jpg

And a few from other angles:

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_0581.jpg

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_0582.jpg

After a bit of agonising i've decided to do the Iron Talons as my next SM project - the extremely talented JackDaw has posted his completed forces in the Hall of Honour, and you should all go have a look at his excellent work. Hopefully he won't object to having some Talon Brothers from another B&C member! Tonight i'm hopefully going to get some of my thoughts on the army and some modelling ideas noted down as a kinda design document, also i'm going to try and stick to some of the background ideas that JackDaw has noted down so my chaps arent too divergent from his interpretation. All in all I think it'll be a fun painting and modelling change from the Blood Angels, and as anyone who has looked at the Talons stuff will know - they're not exactly "good guys"...

:)

Really nice Honor Guard Sergeant there, he looks like he's just about to deliver the coup de grace to an enemy

Iron Talons? Sounds like a great idea! JackDaw's concept is golden and it would be interesting to see another Blade in action yes.gif

Evening all, just a quick reply with my ongoing progress.

As usual, replies:

@MrBear - Thanks, the models can be quite static so I was trying to put a more arrogant spin on it, as you say, he's about to blow some unlucky sucker away! As for the Talons, JackDaw has kindly agreed to share some of his thoughts on the Talons with me so I can do the concept justice.

@Deathspectersgt7 - Thanks as always for taking the time to check the plog, and comment.

My much awaited parcel from GW and the Army Painter has finally arrived - i've now got a full restock of my paints and some new brushes:

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/IMG_0669.jpg

A thing of beauty i'm sure you'll all agree - and perfect for a new project. JackDaw has very kindly agreed to help point my Iron Talons in a suitable direction and i'll be starting to build them up in the next few days hopefully.

The final bits and bobs of the Angels are coming together now, and here be the last Terminator:

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_0537.jpg

Happy with this chap, and happy that they're done after what seems like an age of waiting for washes/glazes to dry! Their Proteus is soaking in a soapy bath as we speak, and hopefully have it built at least for the weekend.

smile.png

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

After a long break (work/real life etc) i'm back in the land of hobby. Huzzah. Sorry to the mods if this is thread necromany etc. 

When we last left off the wonderful and supremely talented JackDaw was letting me in on the dark secrets of the Iron Talons so I could get my project off to bat - hopefully will have a little fluff to post for y'all laters...

The pre-heresy Blood Angels are continuing at good speed too - here's my kitbasjed Corvus-pattern Librarian for your C&C. Frankly i'm happy with the painiting, however I'd probably go back and do some work on his left hand and arm (replacing the book).

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_0544.jpg

Nice one November. I think you're right though, two books are perhaps one too much so it could be better to do something else with his left arm.

Evening y'all,

@Teetengee - Thanks for the comment, dude.

@Squeaky - Cheers, i've been aiming for a RTB001/2nd Edition vibe with the bright red/orangey highlights, glad you enjoyed!

@MrBear - Thanks a lot, agree with the constructive criticism, in due course i'll hack of his extra book and replace with a bolt pistol.

Apologies in advance for an upcoming double post!

++++++

Darkness Falls - The Harrowing of Diomedes

A record of the Diomedes War, and the actions of the Iron Talons Adeptus Astartes therein.

++++++

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Art/darkplanet.jpg

- "Hydra Rising" by Kelan Roget, 12th Expedition, circa. M31.

++++++++++

+++ DataPack/UPLOAD-Ordos-Xenos/RothINQ/KerberosSystem +++

+++ Archives/Astrotelepathy/Diomedes/History/PASSWORDACCEPTED+++

+++ Messages/Downloaded-Astropath/StellarCARTOGRAPH/DATABASE…ready+++

***Greetings, Inquisitor Roth.

***Record begins.

Founded in the latter half of M32. The rimward colony worlds of the Kerberos system exist in the perpetual light of a binary star system, alone amongst the dark of the outer regions of the Segmentum Ultima.

Lying close to the darkness of the extragalactic deeps,  the twin eclipsing M-type stars of Kerberos provide not only an astronomical curiosity, but support the habitable world of Diomedes, the ringed gas giant Hydra, and at the system’s edge, the dark planetoid Pandora.

Far flung from the Imperium, at the edge of the Ghoul Stars, the region has lain quiescent for millennia, with rogue traders, Mechanicum convoys, and hardy Explorator vessels the only regular visitors.

First discovered by the advancing forces of the Great Crusade, a mysterious deputation of Mechanicum Explorator barques were dispatched from Sarum to establish dominion over the region, with the largely barren and mountainous planet of Diomedes providing a source of mineral and promethium wealth undreamed of by the Martian lords. With the dark lands welcoming the deep mining and fuel-extracting refineries of the new colonists, the forces of Mars quickly spread across the planet. Eventually growing into a huge manufactorum world containing mega-processing facilities and fuel factorum, Diomedes developed a number of forges across the equatorial plain, and further satellite manufactories roving for further mining opportunities. Unusually, the largest of these refineries are not static facilities as on many worlds, but ancient “Tractor cities”. Lost relics from the Dark Age of Technology, these massive tracked vehicles travel throughout the tundra wastes of Diomedes, following the mineral and fuel deposits across the planet. Each tractor city remains a vassal state to the equatorial hives, but are in themselves heavily armed and independent with fleets of attendant air-barges and skiffs to transport their refined wealth back to the established forges. Regularly convoys of the Mechanicum make the long pilgrimage to Diomedes – keen to load their holds with a wealth of adamantium, promethium and precious gemstones for the forge-holds and workshops of Mars, Ryza and Sarum.

In stark contrast to the populous and profitable Diomedes, Hydra remains largely under the sole auspice of the Imperium. With little extractable wealth or technological resources to plunder, Hydra was settled by Terran colonists following the progress of the Crusade. Spared the horrors of the Heresy and Scouring, a small Imperial presence ekes out a harsh and mundane existence at Hydra, with established fortress vessels on its methane-ocean covered moon of Fenrir, and amongst a multitude of planetoids and space stations throughout Hydra’s ring system.

Lying deep at the systems edge, Pandora remains an enigma to the Martian and Imperial settlers of the Kerberos system.  Early investigations revealed a planet riven with abandoned catacombs, funereal chambers and eerie cyclopean architecture. Scoured by intermittent radiation storms, and with no evidence of life, the origins of the subterranean networks and structures remain a mystery. Disquieting even to the unemotional Mechanicum, Pandora remained unsettled by man or machine, with surveyor probes and auspex units left to record for ten millennia – reporting nothing but the metronomic tick of radiation counters and sensorium sweeps. Ill-favoured amongst the settlers of Diomedes, Pandora is often felt to be an omen of bad luck. The completion of its millennia-long orbit felt to be a time of particular ill fortune - superstition believing it to herald a time of doom for all Kerberos.

***Record ends.

***Do you wish to continue...Y/N

***Circuit disconnect.

++++++++++

@Deathspectre - Thanks for your comments as ever! Glad you approve of the Librarian. In answer to your question - Yep, kicking off on the Iron Talons this week, so be ready for some WIP models and a freaking load of background and campaign shenanigans.

Hello all,

The first of two posts, and a bit of a warning...

So essentially the Imaginarium is my plog for all 40K related goodness, and has been focussed primarily on the Blood Angels. After a bit of agonising earlier in the log I (after a bit of help from the epically nice JackDaw) settled on the Iron Talons as my next project. This means that despite my earlier bleatings my Scouring-era Deathguard are on hiatus, and there will only be sporadic updates from the Blood Angels contingent.

Now, like all good 40K fans i'm a fan of all things "fluff". So, i'm using the Talons and the forthcoming Diomedes War as a mechanism to practise my writing and campaign development.

Why the warning? Well to help this along essentially i'll be doing two styles of posts, more "game-y/hobby related" with my WIP, and more "in-universe". For the later read "walls of text". I appreciate that this style of plog isn't everyones cuppa tea, but I would really appreciate anyone popping in to give me some feedback on both aspects/thoughts on the story. campaign development. To help keep posts to a reasonable length I may double post, this isn't spamming, but I feel that some folk might want to skip the fluff and stick to helping me with modelling content.

Hopefully that's ok with the (every present and omniscient) Mods. Thanks in advance for anyone who checks my stuff out!

Now, back to our scheduled programming - Pict captures from the Iron Talon forges...

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Iron%20Talons/IMG_0702.jpg?t=1403735663

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Iron%20Talons/IMG_0703.jpg?t=1403649439

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Iron%20Talons/IMG_0704.jpg?t=1403649561

So - in keeping with our established Iron Talon stylee, a variety of armour marks/combinations. Representing the first half of a tactical fireteam, they'll be jointed by some special/heavy weapons in due course. A few "fetishes" are distributed amongst the unit, firmly establishing them in a post-Blackmaw campaign timeline. From a modelling POV we've got bits from the new(ish) Tactical sprues, SM Command sprue, Black Templars, and some Blood Angels bitz. The shoulders are Emperors Children, with a bit of filing and removal of bolts.

As you'll see, i've elected to keep firmly the tribal aspects of the Talons, as I think it's perhaps one of their most interesting conceits - superhumans armed in the pinnacle of humanity's technology, struggling to reconcile with their spiritual and mystical histories. Either that, or perhaps they're just killers who like to take trophies.... ;)

We'll see how my Blade develops and you can make your own mind up?

C&C as every, Brothers.

Good stuff, as always! happy.png

To help keep posts to a reasonable length I may double post, this isn't spamming, but I feel that some folk might want to skip the fluff and stick to helping me with modelling content.

Regarding this, instead of double posting, perhaps you could use the spoiler tags? That way, the post isn't unmanageable and those who wish to see your pictures won't have to navigate the text smile.png

++++++

The Gloaming

An ancient and nameless evil stirs in the darkness.

++++++

"You forget how frail we are – out here I mean. In the dark. Vulnerable. Lonely. You’re fed lies – stories of the bright Astartes and brave, brave men of the indomitable Guard! Here to protect us all! Tales of an everlasting Imperium. Hah. You people sicken me with your naivety. We are not the only empire. We are not even the first. You cling to your light - a child scared of shadows. Huddled around the guttering flames of “civilisation”, and “order”. You people never imagine that the light will one day go out. Can you tell me, honestly now, that you’ve never wondered? Never dreamt of what’s out there in the dark, waiting for us all?"

- Attrib. Rogue-trader Captain Vladmer Duarte, 918.M41, Ryza Trade Dynasty and Mercantile Collegiate. Captain of "The Black Prince".

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dare to dream before."

- Attrib. Eder Aln Poe, M2, Terran literarist and dramiturge.

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/RogueTraderShip.jpg?t=1403737928

- "The Black Prince", rendered in canvas and oil-paint, hung in the dining-chambers of the Duarte family holdfast on Ryza.

++++++++++

+++ DataPack/UPLOAD-Ordos-Xenos/RothINQ/KerberosSystem +++

+++ Archives/CHRONOLOGY/Diomedes/History/PASSWORDACCEPTED+++

+++ Messages/Downloaded-Astropath/EVENTS/TIMELINE/DATA…ready+++

***Greetings, Inquisitor Roth.

***Record begins.

+++ Mechanicum data-log entries, Kerberos System M.41 +++

6.001.919.M41 – Candlemass Kerberos System, Blessings of the Omnissiah upon all His most Loyal and Productive servants. Planetary tithe-convoy supplied and enroute to Ryza.

6.005.919.M41 – Explorator convoy dispatched Diomedes for rimward expansion. Last confirmed contact in Pandora sector.

6.010.919.M41 – Increase in gravitational field of planet Hydra by 0.01% detectability, reviewed by Mechanicum planetary engineering cadre, deep probe dispatched Hydra locale. Local shipping route alerted to compensate. No further actions/log entries.

6.011.919.M41 - Astrotelepathy stations Fenrir/Diomedes sector report 10% reduction in message integrity and accuracy – Adeptus Telepathica station formally reprimanded. Replacement Astrotelepathy division re-routed from Sarum sector to support. No further actions/log entries.

6.012.919.M41 – Routine trade-convoy bound for Fenrir station marked overdue. Presumed lost to local ionic storms/stellar phenomenon.

6.014.919.M41 - Deep space-augury reports ship signatures in outlying orbits of Pandora sector. No Imperial/Mechanicum assets in sector. Repair drone dispatched to review. Log amended – Drone required for repair duties Diomedes shipyards, Augur disconnected from network pending repair team.

6.014.919.M41 - System ship “Pride of Terra” reports visual confirmation of unknown vessel in intra-system space – sensor logs confirm no engine signatures/power output recorded from alleged sighting. Captain and crew (crossref: Pride of Terra, Fenrir Mercantile Guild) referred for formal disciplinary action.

6.015.919.M41 - Increase in luminescent discharge across equatorial latitudes of Hydra – Mechanicum probe remains enroute. Imperial auspex insufficient for data-analysis, visually reported by Fenrir personnel as “lighting storms”. No prior abnormal atmospheric weather patterns recorded. Await Mechanicum probe responses/data uploads.

6.016.919.M41 – Mechanicum barque “Blessed Mars” lost in-system. No distress call received.

6.017.919.M41 - Deep space commerce vessel “The Black Prince” (crossref: Privateer Captain Duarte, Duarte Rogue Trader Family/Ryza) requests

refuelling and supply Diomedes shipyards. Letters of marque attached. Refit and supply approved.

6.018.919.M41 – Fenrir watch-station reports loss of contact with “Pride of Terra” in region of Pandora sector.

6.018.919.M41 - “The Black Prince” reported in area of Pandora sector, deep augury scans confirms vessel exiting to extragalactic regions (cross ref: The Death of Reason). Log amended – referred to Imperial forces for review of trading rights on return.

6.018.919.M41 - Distress call from Acheron-deep space rehabilitation facility (crossref: Penal/convoy resupply station). Unknown attacker, defensives minimal. Imperial forces Fenrir-PDF dispatched. No further Mechanicum input required.

6.020.919.M41 - Mechanicum convoy 8916285XCSARUM logged as overdue. Convoy supplying servitor-conscripts, outbound manifest adamantium/promethium-crude reloaded to next cargo manifest. Request made to Fenrir/Hydra colonies for additional recruit-tithe.

6.021.919.M41 - Imperial Forces report Acheron colony non-viable. No remains of prison structures/personnel remain. Forensic unit dispatched – query Eldar-reiver forces involved?

6.021.919.M41 - Further sighting of unknown (presumed Xeno) vessel in-system. Mechanicum vessels dispatched to investigate.

6.021.919.M41 - Presumed Eldar pirate vessels sighted by Mechanicum convoy in locality of intra-system asteroid belt.

6.021.919.M41 - Mechanicum vessels engage presumed Eldar forces – unable to confirm destruction of Xeno vessels. Remaining Mechanicum assets return to Diomedes, request for forensic examination/refit approved by system. No formal engine-signatures of Eldar class.

6.022.919.M41 - Mechanicum probe dispatched to Hydra sector confirms: increased gravimetric fields +2.0% since last confirmatory recordings, overall loss of density/mass 0.1% (query auspex error). Deep atmosphere scans confirm increased electromagnetic field in locality of plant equator, and increased free electron-chain results. Result error – in keeping with activation of planetary/battleship class power fields. No alternative cause postulated. No corresponding atmospheric changes in planetary records. Explorator deputation dispatched to investigate.

6.022.919.M41 - Augury-probe detect engine profile in keeping with commerce raider “The Black Prince”. Vessel in near orbit Pandora. Landing vessels noted. Note – Pandora under Mechanicum blockade. Formal complaint lodged with Ryza Commerce Guild. Mechanicum vessel dispatched to Pandora system.

6.023.919.M41 – Explorator team unable to confirm Hydra probe-recordings. Contact lost after deployment of deep-atmosphere vessel.

6.024.919.M41 - Pandora expedition report no evidence of remaining trader ground party. Unmanned landing skiff located. Planetary auspex and detection grid confirm activity at southern planetary pole (crossref: Valley of Mist). Expedition note engine-wake in keeping with light commerce/frigate-class bound in system. Pandora team unable to postulate trader landing party location. Search abandoned.

6.030.919.M41 - Fenrir sector auspex records vessel signature in keeping with “The Black Prince” drifting in Hydra locale. Ships dispatched.

6.030.919.M41 - “The Black Prince” recovered in Hydra sector – no identifiable human remains aboard. Evidence of weapons fire (query electromagnetic/plasma discharges) throughout vessel. Engine-spirit interrogation revealed absence of vessel machine intellect. Central computation units nulled. Vessel scuttled in Hydra orbit. Log appended – formal complaint to Imperial force in Fenrir sector for non-compliance with Mechanicum ship-recovery/salvage protocols.

6.035.919.M41 - Contact lost with Pandora expedition. No vox/sensorium records received.

6.035.919.M41 - Contact lost with southern-region augury network Pandora.

6.036.919.M41 - Contact lost with northern-region augury network Pandora.

6.036.919.M41 - Long range stellar-auspex units reconfigured to review Pandora sector.

6.037.919.M41 - Contact with unidentified Xeno vessel Pandora orbit. Long range results not in keeping with previously identified Eldar reiver-forces.

6.039.919.M41 - Diomedes system-ships retasked near/orbit denial pattern. Fenrir sector confirm dispatch of PDF contingent, and accompanying escort frigates to Pandora sector.

6.039.919.M41 - Message received “Ironheart” (crossref: Sword-class frigate/Pandora expedition) “Raise the shields! CANT YOU SEE! Everyone is frakking –messagecontenterror- ploding! The size is enor –messagecontenterror- Emperor-be-damm –messagecontenterror- ABANDON SHIP ABANDON SHIP –sounds of screaming and explosions obscure recording for 10.6 seconds- I’ve never seen anything like this. We are all dammed.” No wreckage or further recordings received from expedition. Log appended – request made to Ryza and Sarum for Astra Militarum and local fleet response. Fenrir expedition presumed lost with all souls.

6.039.919.M41 - Confirmatory astrotelepathy from Ryra system-hold. Relief forces dispatched.

6.040.919.M41 – Diomedes planetary-class auspex detect multiple vessels on intercept course to Diomedes, and Hydra sectors. Course triangulation and plotting reveals point of origin likely Pandora sector (query error – submitted for recomputation and reanalysis. Surveyor Magos-primus aware, marked for priority investigation/review).

6.040.919.M41 – Stellar-research and surveillance units report reduction in Kerberos/Alpha coronal output by 20%. Kerberos/Beta currently unaffected. Stellar fusion rates comparable with stellar body +10000000 cycles older than established carbon/helium datestamp. No explanation for failure of previously stable fusion.

***Record ends.

***Do you wish to continue...Y/N

***Circuit disconnect.

++++++++++

Archived