++++++

Voices in the Dark

A mystery from the past returns to Kerberos.

++++++

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything else, but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is always waiting for it.”

- Attrib. Rogue-trader Captain Vladmer Duarte, 918.M41, Ryza Trade Dynasty and Mercantile Collegiate. Captain of "The Black Prince".

“When you light a candle, you also cast a shadow.”

- Attrib. Ursula, known as "the Guin", M2, Terran literarist and dramiturge.

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Art/d5fc1e8f-cdd5-45eb-89ab-38e793fa40d6.png?t=1404079312

- Southern Polar Region, Pandora, "Valley of Mists". Expedition datestamp 6.017.919.M41/"The Black Prince"

+++ DataPack/UPLOAD-Ordos-Xenos/RothINQ/KerberosSystem +++

+++ Archives/SHIPSLOGS/Diomedes/History/PASSWORDACCEPTED+++

+++ Messages/Downloaded-Astropath/REDACTEDFILES/Override/DATA…ready+++

***Greetings, Inquisitor Roth.

>>SEARCH “Black Prince”, “Logs”, “Contemporaneous”, “Pandora”

>>TABULATING

>>Ships log, Watch Officer Demetir, Black Prince, 6.017.919.M41. Recovered by Fenrir-salvage team.

>>INQ-CLEARANCE ONLY.

***Record begins.

Day 1 – “Watch Officer Demetir audio recording begins. The ship’s letter of marque submitted to Diomedes per Captain Duarte requests, awaiting approval for refuel and refit prior to trade run to outer reaches. I’ve discussed the route with the Captain, although I’m not sure why I bother. The Boss is in an unusually foul mood – maybe the sacra and Triad weren’t to his liking after all – he says there’s a Trade meet out past the outer reaches of the sector, a deep run for the Prince. The ship can handle it though. End record.”

Day 2 – “In high orbit around Diomedes, fuel and cargo manifests correct. The Captain’s mood seems improved – he seems unusually interested in computing a course through the Crypts, a useless waste of engine-fuel if ever there was one. Nothing but nebulae-bloom and dead rocks. Well, whatever keeps him happy? I’ve plotted a course, the Navigator is a twitchy as ever, but he thinks it’ll be a five day sail from the outer marker of the system. End record.”

Day 5 – “Shore leave is over, the rating bunks are stacked with some new crew, and the engine decks are temporarily free of those damned crab-rats. Time to leave high orbit, and enter the black. The Captain has transferred a new advisor for this trip – some archaeology expert or something. Guy sure does have a lotta books. I’ve assigned menials to transfer his materials to the Captain’s quarters as instructed. Captain is tight-lipped about where he dug this “advisor” up from. He’s got that Mechanicum stink about him though. End record.”

Day 9 – “Leaving high orbit Fenrir station. Little to report, Engineer Malik and his boys have the drives ready for the jump out system, continuing on sublight drives until then. The Captain has been off-deck for the last few days, his black moods are back. I can’t even blame it on the cards this time. Regardless, we continue with acceptable efficiency levels. End record.”

Day 11 – “Pandora high orbit. The Captain has finally left his quarters. He looks – well, like frak, frankly. He says it’s the “void-fevre”, but I’ve never seen him unwell in 20 years as his Watch Officer. Spending the best part of a week in quarters alone with our “expert” will maybe do that to a man though, especially with his taste for obscura thrown in. End record.”

Day 12 – “The Advisor and Captain have us keeping station, sensor scans of the southern polar regions as requested. Little to report as expected, our current scans tally with Mechanicum record – abandoned mega-structure, underground network of caves and tunnels. Radiation storms, surface has high mineral content, but absolutely no life. Zip for bacteria, virus, and prions – as lifeless as they come. End record.”

Day 13 – “The Captain has requested a landing party assemble, I’ve rota’d Kolinski and some of the bilge rats to accompany the advisor planetside. End record.”

Day 14 – “Landing skiff is late reporting back from the planet, Captain Duarte seems unconcerned about his new friend though so I’ll wait it out. End record./LOG APPENDED – Landing party has returned, well most of them. Kolinksi and a few of the crew apparently ran into some rad-storm in the catacombs, nothing left to recover. The Advisor has little to say about the whole debacle however he’s brought back some rocks and dust samples from the surface. I’ve put in a formal request to the Merchant House for replacements on return to Ryza. Ships company to the Mess at 1900hrs for Remembrance ceremony for Kolinski. Double grog shares at eventide-meal tonight. End record.”

Day 17 – “Reached the navigation beacon at system-edge. Malik reports systems optimal for the jump. Captain in seclusion again, poring over some old manual scripts with the Advisor. He says they’re researching the remains on Pandora, something about a treasure-hold. I’ve locked in our coordinates for the Crypts, and I’m heading to the freezer-bins. I’ve elected not to tell the rest of the crew about this. End record.”

Day 23 – “Not a bad trip out, minimal damage to the ship, the Navigator’s alive, and I’ve only lost two toes to freezer burn this time. A few ratings are missing, but that’s to be expected. The landing skiff is still in the landing bay, so I presume they’re lost in the bilge-decks or Engineerium.  From what I can tell, the Captain has stayed up with the Advisor for the whole trip. They don’t appear to have eaten – and the smell, Emperor—forgive me. Something’s rotting in his quarters, I’m sure of it. We have visual confirmation of the Crypts, the nebula itself is harmless, it’s all the ship-debris and asteroids that pose the problem. I’ve ordered the shields raised and half speed. Captain Duarte informs me that there’s a meet out here – we’ll need to wait to see the vessel as to who it is, maybe Blaine and the Firehawk. They always are up for a bit of trade, and Triad. End record.”

Day 24 – “No contact with our meet, Duarte in quarters. No contact from Kerberos sector. No returns to vox hails. Auspex and sensorium contacts clear. End record.”

Day 25 – “Still no contact. End record.”

Day 26 – “This is getting ridiculous. No contact. End record.”

Day 27 – “Ship sighted on long-range scans, unusually engine signature. No steady contact on auspex-pings, the Navigator and Astropaths are twitchy – can’t say I blame them. This whole trip has been…unsettling. End record.”

Day 28 – “Contact made, it wasn’t Blaine. Eldar. I hate the Eldar. Pointy-eared freaks. Some reiver-Prince, kept calling the Captain “mon-keigh”. You could tell he was as happy trading with us, as we were to see them. The Captain and the Advisor have been in quarters all day with the freak. From what I understand, the deal’s done – although I can’t imagine what is worth a hold-worth of adamantium, auric-lined Nalwood, our Pandoran samples, and half-a-ships company of ratings? I guess we’ll find out tomorrow. End record.”

Day 29 – “The Captain is ecstatic – the Eldar have left and the trade went down as planned. I’ve seen the item, the Advisor calls it the “Engine”. A weird pyramidal block, black as the sky over Sarum, and lined with silver. It “chirrups” plenty, but I’m not sure what it actually does? The Advisor says it’ll “unlock the treasure of ages past”. Whatever that means. Presumably something to do with those Pandoran mausoleums. Our course is set for Kerberos, all ships company and cargo stowed. End record.”

Day 40 – “Something is badly wrong. Ships computation and machine-spirit are unusually temperamental, we can’t establish a steady Geller-field for more than a few hours, and the warp-engines are misfiring. Surprisingly Duarte isn’t interested, he’s taken to sitting on the bridge at all hours with the Engine in his lap, like a pet. The bridge-crew are spooked. I’m spooked. Damm thing seems to suck all the light from the bridge in. End record.”

Day 42 – “Malik is dead. From what’s left of him, it looks like he got too close to a turbine-furnace below decks. Stupid waste. Two other ratings are missing now. I’ve posted double-watch with who we have left. Still a few days out from Kerberos. End record.”

Day 43 – “The ship had no watch last night, woken by the emergency-hailer – dropped out of warp again. The tides are firmly against us. Duarte has stopped giving orders. He just keeps babbling about the darkness, and he’s even more paranoid than usual. The ships-physiker has prescribed a sedative and a therapeutic emetic, hopefully that’ll restore the Boss’s humours. End record.”

Day 45 – “The physiker is missing. So is the astropath. End record.”

Day 46 – “Further problems, the ship’s mainframe and systems keep crashing. The tech-priests inform me that “malificarum” from the Engine has infected them, and that cleansing will take a few weeks. And a drydock. End record.”

Day 47 – “We’ve detected a ship’s signature in our baffles – unable to confirm, but I bet it’s those damned Eldar. The Captain is in quarters. He seems more in control, but he won’t eat or sleep – says that “their eyes are watching”? I presume the Eldar have some witchery over him. End record.”

Day 48 – “The Advisor is dead. Captain Duarte called me to his quarters to report on our “progress”. There’s not much left of the Advisor to bury. Or much progress to report. Duarte seems more settled. End record.”

Day 49 – “The Engine is missing. The bridge guards are gone. Duarte has left quarters. The trailing vessel was briefly spotted o’ernight by the auspex officers, but was gone in the morning. From the scans – it’s not Eldar. I’ve never seen a reading like it, I’ve submitted the profile to the computation banks but I doubt we’ll get a match. In light of the disturbing turn of events, and Duarte’s mental collapse, I am formally taking command in extremis. I’ve order all speed to Kerberos./LOG APPENDED – I’m surprised, one match on file, ship sighting during the Gothic Wars, has further files referenced to Naogeddon and Angelis sectors, but with the damage to the ship’s systems I can’t access them. I’ve dispatched ratings to find and restrain the Captain, and to detain him indefinitely. End record.”

Day 50 – “We’ve been unable to find the Captain. The alien vessel is trailing us. I cannot get the computer to change our heading. The crew are dying. We are heading into Kerberos system. I’ve commended the ships soul, and the souls of our crew to the God-Emperor. End record.”

Day 51 – “Duarte is dead. What’s left of him was hiding in some ducting behind the shield generators. We are being boarded. I can hear the screams and the gunfire. We will resist, but we cannot hope to stop the xenos. The ships scanners are hazy, but they are humanoid. Fast. Unrelenting. I can hear them coming, I can hear –audio recording compromised by sounds of screaming for 40.8 seconds. Unknown/unidentified vocalisation thereafter- “Mortal, we have come for you. Where is the Engine?” –further recording compromised beyond recovery-algorithm-

***Record ends.

***Do you wish to continue...Y/N

***Circuit disconnect.

++++++++++

Evening, chaps

@Jackdaw - Thanks again mate, appreciate all your input/feedback! PM sent with some more details.

@MrBear - Thanks for the enthusiasm and comments! Glad you're enjoying the background so far.

@Teetengee - Cheers!

@Deathspectersgt7 - As ever, greatly appreciate the continued replies and input. As an aside, you're choosen Chapter may make a special guest appearance in furture posts...

As far as modelling, still putting together a few marines, but little finished at the moment. Also managed to rescue a partially complete BFG Strike Cruiser from the giant "discard pile" that is my bitz box. Frustratingly it's missing a few bits and I keep losing eBay auctions to replace the parts I need! Drat.

Will hopefully have some more background up in the next few days - for those who are interested, i'm trying to get the "story" aspects of the plog set clearly before introducing the Talons. Thanks for the patience regarding all the scene setting! 

As an aside to any Moderati (who are always watching it seems...) is there a way to add new "Tags" to a log on B&C - like in the subline where i've got the chapters i'll be working on? If so, can someone stick "Iron Talons" on mine?? If there's any sacrifices that need to be made/obesience to the Emperor i'm sure I can manage something!

:)

• 4 months later...

Evening all,

After a longer than expected hiatus, I am returned.

I've ran into a bit of a brick wall with the Talons - hopelessly, woefully unable to get a bone scheme that I liked after multipe attempts. I've completed a few more units but they're relegated to the "in progress" pile until I can work something out.

In the meantime, i've been acquiring some Nurgle units, and after some unexpected birthday presents I've got a whole army of plague marine goodness (or badness) ready to be completed. After my very clean, highlight heavy style of the Blood Angels, I thought i'd just try and get another army ready for the tabletop - so these chaps will be done to a tabletop/gaming standard mainly, with a view to completing about 3000pts worth all in of marines, with some daemon allies.

Here's a test model for your opinions/C&C:

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/IMG_1365.jpg?t=1416006864

As you can see, he's a bit of an amalgam of various bitz box flotsam and jetsam, and I used a few new paints - mainly the GW "Technical" Ryza Rust, and Blood for the Blood God. They're pretty cool to use, and certainly help with Nurgle CSM models. He took about 30 mins to do, aside from the drying time of various washes/glazes.

And some close-up(ish) shots:

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/IMG_1382.jpg?t=1416006622

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/IMG_1378.jpg?t=1416006709

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/IMG_1374.jpg?t=1416006764

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/IMG_1383.jpg?t=1416006536

:)

• 2 months later...

Evening all,

Hopefully 2015 finds you all well and motivated for a new year of hobby fun. After the somewhat abrupt interuption to my Iron Talons modelling, my own motivation has been at an all time low, and despite having a story/campaign plotted out, i'm not sure how much of an appetite exists for purely fludd, without accompanying models?

So, with the release of the new Blood Angels codex, and Horus Heresy 4 i've returned to the darkness of the 30th millenium.

Without further ado, a re-do of my Librarian HQ for my 30K Blood Angels:

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_1707.jpg?t=1421698786

Armoured in a hodge-podge of armour marks, the stock model is admittedly not 100% kosher for pre-heresy. However, he's a lovely sculpt, and I already had this chap half built for the Talons. Only conversion in this case is the removal of the "blank" left pauldron, and replacing it with a more Blood Angels suitable one - in this case a heavy brass representation of the Primarch Sanguinius.

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_1697.jpg?t=1421698788

Here's a few wee close up's of the face and his Familiar:

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_1705.jpg?t=1421698788

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_1700.jpg?t=1421698788

This will probably see the jump-pack version retired to the bitz box for spares.

In another turn of my 30K army, i've decided to add a few units of another legion to the forces of my Blood Angels...initially I had grand plans to do a Brotherhood of White Scars (a nod to proto-Talons) but instead have been seduced by the warriors of the 19th:

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_1711.jpg?t=1421698788

Just a wee WIP/tester - essentially I see these as being a small company of Raven Guard who have fallen in with the Angels during crusade, and after the Istvaan massacre, are en-route to Terra with my army. Basically an excuse to try some more advanced basing techniques, using an airbrush, and weathering with pigments!

Plans for these are really two tactical squads, and perhaps a heavy weapon/Devastator squad, lead by a (Terran) RG Centurion and his Master of Signals.

C&C as ever is appreciated! smile.png

• 7 months later...

After a much longer hiatus than planned, I thought i'd continue with my rarely updated thread!

The release of HH-Tempest has given me a bit more motivation to tackle the last section of my Blood Angels army, and get the final 2500 list finished.

Gaming opportunities have been a little sparse with my regular gaming partner having had their first baby, that, combined with changing jobs and a lot more intensive shift pattern have meant that my own hobby time has been spent away from 40K, into other unnameable/unknowable/unpostable topics. I did manage to get a few games in at my FLGS and was generally happy with the list, in particular the Librarian.

From the 40K point of view, I've planned out the next 4 weeks hobby time to complete the Heavy Support sections for the list, and finalise my character fluff.

As I said in an earlier post, I want to redo a more appropriate Praetor/Captain model and add the plastic Sanguinary Priest to the HQ slot. My main complaint with my power fist "captain" is that giving up the initiative bonus is a major pain, and in my local meta the increased strength is often overkill (Dark Eldar in particular). I also think that thematically a sword/axe is more fitting for a Blood Angels character, with their focus on artisan weapons and personal skill-at-arms. The power fist model will be relegated (demoted?) to be the sergeant for my command squad.

To date, i've completed and posted pictures of the two tactical and assault squads, and the terminator elite. This leaves me (in no particular order) the predator, the land raider, a devastator squad, and the captain/priest to grind out.

So, without further ado, I present my Deimos-pattern Predator, armed with Autocannon and Lascannon sponson:

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_3544.jpg

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_3548.jpg

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_3555.jpg

I'm now running pretty low on my Blood Angels 2nd Ed. transfers, and unfortunately I'll probably need to repeat some of the unit numbers/markings on the vehicles. Overall though, happy enough with the finished model, especially since I hate painting vehicles. I think the effect of the "motor pool" is pretty cool as well:

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_3577.jpg

Arguably this is far from the optimal way to run the Deimos-pattern, and in particular there's a part of me that wishes i'd went with the relic loadouts, however I want the army to be useable for both 30K and 40K, and this straddles the meta for both games for me. I'll be using this to go after light transports/monsterous creatures so the lascannons will be more use than the traditional heavy bolter sponsons.

Rambling over, and thanks for looking!

C&C welcome as ever smile.png

I have some Rogue Trader Era BA transfers if you want them. I wouldn't want anything for them smile.png but bear in mind they're over twenty years old, so they might not be viable now laugh.png

I'll have to find out where I've put them (and how many - if I recall, the BA ones were never used, including a sheet that was printed in yellow for some reason blink.png ), but if you want them, let me know smile.png

Evening all,

The weather in Glasgow has been sufficently miserable this weekend to get some more hobby time in, and a bit more painting complete. Used the gaps in drying time to wash and complete the preliminary construction on my FW Proteus and to get an order in for a few bits for the Raven Guard spin-off..

@Aquilanus - You're too kind, I actually managed to source a sheet of BA transfers that are a match for the 2nd edition ones i've been using, thank you for the offer though!

@Olis - Thanks for taking the time to read/comment, much appreciated. I really like the transfers on the vehicles, I don't really weather my models at all, and without that it needs something to break up all the redness!

@Athrawes - I'm happy to be back posting, i've been following your Plog though - stunning stuff. The Primarch in particular is a fantastic centrepiece for the collection.

@Deathspectersgt7 - Cheers for posting, your enthusiasm is awesome! I feel like I owe you an apology for never posting the continuation of the Talons campaign, I did promise your chapter would make a special guest appearance after all!

As a reward for completing the construction of my Proteus I returned to a bit of a kit-bash for my Honour Guard. These chaps will pull double duty as a command squad in 30K/40K, and include my demoted power-fist captain and jump pack Apothecary. To round out the command squad, well of course you need a banner...

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_3579.jpg

The model's largely based on the Mk2 despoiler squad, with jump pack and added "bling" courtesy of the very nice Blood Angel Sanguinary Guard kit - i'd seriously recommend this kit to any BA/Emperors Children players, as the swords/shoulders are excellent for a more dandified legion. In game his Glaive Encarmine is a straight forward power sword, but it's added length helps off-set the otherwise large and unwieldy banner. He looks like hes at a slight leftward stoop in this picture - he's not in real life.

Happy with the painting on this one, and tried to make more use of colour theory and blending than usual. The bright gold is a redo from my previous attempts and the first using the Vallejo Liquid set - again, it's a fantastic pigment that covered over black in one pass and is a great base to paint up from. I think it probably edges out the Retributor Gold base paint from GW that i've been tinkering about with. He's highlighted with Glorious Gold and final edge of Runefang from the GW line. I've done a few washes of watered down medium/sepia as I went, but final pigment glaze of watered down Reikland Flesh to maintain a more "red/warm" look and pull the model together. I prefer this to using violet in the recesses (as most gold recipes would use) as the purple GW wash it moves it a bit more towards the "cold" spectrum. Nothing wrong with this at all, but the rest of the army is perched far into the bright orange/reds for obvious reasons of 2nd edition-ness.

Anyway, rambles aside - C&C as ever, and thanks to anyone would takes the time to have a look at my models.

Afternoon B&C,

@Furstyferret - Thanks for the comment, your own legion is totally awesome, it'd be great to play against such a well themed and painted army.

@deathspectersgt7 - Thanks, i'm happy with the banner and think it's a great "bit" for any Blood Angels force. I suck at decals (even with Microsol/set) and the raised details are surprisingly easy to get a good result from.

I'm managing to keep a bit of momentum with the final group of legion forces, so here's the Heavy Support Squad completed:

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_3578.jpg

I really like the look of heresy missile lauchers, they look totally unwieldy and deadly - much prefer them to the 40K bit. Apologies for the slight angle on the picture, I was trying to catch the kill strikes/chapter logo on the "snout" of the launchers. I'd love to say that the strikes were accurate representations of their armour kills, but i'm sure in time they'll deliver their points in time, and using the "Flakk" upgrade are my only really AA in 40K games.

Now, although this has been much more of a modelling project than a gaming one, I was looking through the Crusade army book, and noticed a Rite of War that my chaps can almost adhere too.

As any HH player will know, the IXth haven't got their rules yet, and i'd been using the "Furious Charge" buff with them. The main annoyance i've had is that my Praetor doesn't make any use of the Master of the Legion rule - effectively paying points for army wide special rules that I haven't been able to take advantage off.

However, now i've spied the "Armoured Spearhead" rule - effectively meaning everyone that's "infantry" needs a transport, and that I can swap a rhino for a land raider if i've got the model/points.

Seeing as I was only one transport short of making the requirement, I thought the Heavy support squad deserved a ride of their own....

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/lrbw.png

Here's a teaser - rescued from the deepest darkest levels of the internet (or eBay as it's more commonly known), I thought a classic model was more than deserving of a life outside of it's box. Looking forward to tackling a model that's maybe older than I am!

smile.png

Firstly - The new "old" Missile Launchers and the old school Dev colour scheme drool.gif

And the RT Era Land Raider - haven't seen one of them since 1991! (When I made my exit from the hobby) wub.png

Evening all,

A wee day off today so was able to complete the painting on the final Honour Guard for my Praetor. Happy with the new and improved gold recipe, as it's a little brighter than the initial efforts last year. Painting continues with the Praetor himself, and he's about 50% completed - essentially "blocked" in the basecoats but no detail/washes yet hence no pictures...

Without further ado:

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_3688.jpg

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_3689.jpg

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_3691.jpg

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/Pre-Heresy%20Blood%20Angels/IMG_3693.jpg

The model is another Mk2/Sanguinary Guard mash-up, so the posing was somewhat limited by the bitz I had left in the kit (i.e the left arm). I quite like them - I think the older marks of armour really look brutal for any CC-orientated unit.

As an aside, I experimented with a different lighting set-up and background with these pics - I think it's a big improvement so i'll probably upload "squad" picturess of the completed tactical and assault squads shortly!

Construction continues with the RTB Land Raider - he's hilarious stumpy, and light on the detail, but it'll be an interesting final model for the force.

smile.png

Archived