SW1's Scenery Project - Buildings on the way!

SW1

I've got one of the amera kit that's all vacuum moulded and did a review on my blog if you're interested.
For some quick terrain and to make the CoD stuff go further they are very cool and probably worth getting a couple of pieces just to have a better Idea and inspire your own vacuum forming if you do go down that route. The surface that comes in contact with the mould gets excellent detail so worth baring in mind as you design things to take advantage of that and making Negatives of your components for the mould if possible.

I didn't realise there was companies doing those types of vacuum formed scenery. :D

Plan was to make a negative master for internal walls. I'd then add pipes and other details to them.

The challenge is to match their quality then. :)

I'm looking to make wall ends in resin and inserts to go in between with a vacuum form. Might not work but if it does I'll be able to knock out the ZM table in short order.

• 4 weeks later...

Hoarding of materials has started once more.

I've always wanted to do pipework with those little valves with the round handles. I've repeatedly meant to pick up some press fasteners but never got round to it. So today I've finally got some!!!

:)

I also found out that the local hobby model train shop has been closed down. :(

Hoarding of materials has started once more.

I've always wanted to do pipework with those little valves with the round handles. I've repeatedly meant to pick up some press fasteners but never got round to it. So today I've finally got some!!!

:)

I also found out that the local hobby model train shop has been closed down. :(

I both wholeheartedly embrace and condone this post, and also offer my condolences.

Finding and stashing away interesting found items and other unique bits for future projects is something I can identify with. Seeing something 'more' in some mundane object that is lost on most people is very enjoyable. They tend to come in two forms; those that you know right away what they are destined to become, and those interesting objects that you know have a future purpose, but you're still not sure what that will be... yet.

I also lost my local hobby shop a few years back, much to my disappointment. They had been a long term fixture of my area for several decades, so it was very hard to see them go. I've been lucky enough to find a replacement within my city, but it's not the same as a shop that's close and convenient to visit in person.

The internet is an amazing global marketplace that can provide access to things to people who might not have another way to get them, but a real shop you can visit is a valuable asset to a hobbyist.

Archived