Scythes of the emperor.... Update 13/11/18

Great stuff, I have been contemplating doing a 15mm Imperial fists army (I already have a 15mm Blood Angels army half finished) but I really like what you have done with the Scythes, the black/yellow is very striking, I may use your force for inspiration, I will be following.

the scouts look great together

have the catachan backpacks and gear been mentioned? i can send you some if you need.

Maybe hang some close combat weapons from their backs and waist aswell, chaos warrior axes and hammers would look cool on scythes i think (again i have spares)

You'll have green stuff out to fill the gaps anyway, maybe try a cloak, a scarf, a pony tail.

Drown them in gear.

I'm really into decapitated heads atm, but an empty hands works wonders too.

But those are just ideas, i think the squad looks great and i'm really looking forward to seeing them painted.

Also rep the shortened chainsword for the sarge, something custom forsure.

Really like the use of the dynamic Land speeder storm scout legs as a basis for these scouts; and overall they have a lot of character.  Never been a fan of their Jay Leno man jaw heads though.  My favorite of the 6 is the magazine reloading scout by far. 

As far as suggestions go, maybe shorten the sergeant's chainsword so it is more like the older scout model chain knife?  It looks a little cumbersome as is.

Thanks fella, and the reloading scout is a fav of mine..... Also the chainsword idea is noted ;)

Lovely work and full of the traditions of Scythe collectors; enjoying the cross armor usage and Heinrich is a favourite. I'm miles from my hobby desk these days, but this sort of work makes me itch to keep on converting!

Thanks for visiting the site, and alerting me to your exceptional work :D

- Seb.

no problem fella, thank you very much for having a look

Great scouts and conversions are nice!

That scout with the ACOG on his bolter is my favorite! Nice flavor to your scouts. Keep it up.

Thanks mate, I've decided to use them scopes on all the bolters, got a lot of ideas happening now too

Great stuff, I have been contemplating doing a 15mm Imperial fists army (I already have a 15mm Blood Angels army half finished) but I really like what you have done with the Scythes, the black/yellow is very striking, I may use your force for inspiration, I will be following.

Glad and very humble you find my work inspirational   

the scouts look great together

have the catachan backpacks and gear been mentioned? i can send you some if you need.

Maybe hang some close combat weapons from their backs and waist aswell, chaos warrior axes and hammers would look cool on scythes i think (again i have spares)

You'll have green stuff out to fill the gaps anyway, maybe try a cloak, a scarf, a pony tail.

Drown them in gear.

I'm really into decapitated heads atm, but an empty hands works wonders too.

But those are just ideas, i think the squad looks great and i'm really looking forward to seeing them painted.

Also rep the shortened chainsword for the sarge, something custom forsure.

Thank you fella, I've PM'd you on the back packs, and again the chainsword idea is noted.

That Chaplain is, as many others have said, simply outstanding. Very inspiring pose, looks like the un-killable hero of an action epic.

I've been eying up the land-speeder storm scouts to do what you have, cool to see them used like this and to see it work so well. Kudos.

That Chaplain is, as many others have said, simply outstanding. Very inspiring pose, looks like the un-killable hero of an action epic.

I've been eying up the land-speeder storm scouts to do what you have, cool to see them used like this and to see it work so well. Kudos.

That is the back ground story I have of him.....

So here it is.....

High chaplain Ptolemaeus

Ptolemaeus's Astartes life started a mere 36 standard Terran years before the fall of sotha and defeat of giants coffin, but as much of a blow and terrible battles for the scythes these two battles were, are Infact Ptolemaeus's greatest achievements and the reason he was appointed a chaplaincy and the chosen to carry the weight and soul of the chapter and help re shape the survivors minds and faith with infusing the hate and focus to utterly destroy the tyranid threat from imperium space and shaping the new recruits making the chapter come up to some optimal strength again.....

When the 'nids attacked the home world of sotha Ptolemaeus was but a battle brother with a promised future and had been secretly marked out by the chaplains for his faith, stone hard mind and driven focus in battle, his tactical squad were apart of the strike teams going out into the jungles of sotha taking out as many synapse creatures they could and falling back before the 'nids could react.

His squad suffered casualties, when the order was given to abandon sotha his squad was but 4 men, so it was one of the younger chaplains 'holy brother Fordin' still alive took charge of the 4 remaining tactical marines.

On the rocky outcrop dubbed 'giants coffin' it would be here where Ptolemaeus's skill and future came to full light, when a spore pod slammed behind his squad a carnifex burst out and charged, between 5 boltguns the squad only managed to take out a few teeth, ragged holes in it's jaw and slice an arm off.....when the 'fex hit, two squad members were instantly killed, sliced from shoulder to groin, another took a crushing blow to the chest from its tail mace, the last managed to scale onto the beasts back to bring it down from the weak spot centred between the beasts back of neck and start of the spine, only to find the carapace was spewing toxins that ate away at the space marines helm grills and liquify his lungs inside his chest, with one more flick of it's scything talons the squads acting sgt and second to last Chaplin of the chapter was brutally hacked in two.....with a cry that could be heard on holy terra Ptolemaeus picked up the chaplains ruined crozius and stood above the remains of the fallen brother in black, timed slowed, battle raged all around these two warriors, each had hate to scare a traitorous night lord but where the beast had a hate that came from an 'over mind' to feed Ptolemaeus's hate was raw, it spewed from the very pours of his skin and was driven towards a single goal.....the utter annihilation of the beast that had butchered the last of his beloved squad......

"You think you have won this battle beast? You have won nothing, with the emperors will in my heart, my chapters strength in my soul I will end your entire race, I will burn your very existence from the memory of time....come.....try and take my life.....you will find me as strong as the mountain we stand on.....COME ON XENOS FILTH......for the ghosts of sotha.....for the fallen.....for my brothers....."

With a roar to shake the very foundations of the mountain range he stood upon; the beast charged, with all his might he brought down a vicious hammer blow to the beasts 'crown' the crack of thunder resonated across the battlefield, the beasts head exploded in a mist of purple ichor and chittin fragments, be stood there immobile, like one of the great pillars on holy terra.....

He knelt down beside the chaplains ruined body....

"If you permit me holy brother I will take your weapons & rozius so I can offer them back to one of your order when the time is right, but forgive me for doing what I must now"

With a shame to turn his stomach he started dragging the two separate parts of the chaplain to the walls of the mountain range, along with his fallen brothers it is here he defended his brothers bodies after voxing for reinforcements and the recovery aid to get his brothers out and retrieve their armour along with the chaplains.

Ptolemueas was one of the 100 to again escape from the jaws of the great devourer, his beloved chapter master and the elite 1st company staying behind to give the remaining 100 brothers time to escape.

It was many days after the last 100 had escaped that the newly appointed chapter master looked through every helm video available to him and witnessed Ptolemaeus's triumph and battle.....it was by the chapter masters order that Ptolemaeus became the first chaplain of the rebuilding chapter....

At first he refused for he had only served the chapter 29 standard years....but the chapter master worked his diplomatic skills on Ptolemaeus And gave him focus that he had locked inside that came to light with his battle with the fex, so it was ordered that the late chaplain Fordins armour and weapons was to be Ptolemaeus's.....

With his new title, armour and weapons he rose, from the ashes on defeat like the Phoenix of old, Ptolemaeus was born anew, and so he began the forging of his own crozius head, the original belonging to Fordin was on the scythes last battle barge armoury to be stored away and waited to be given to another who was worthy enough, it was on one of the worlds the scythes had come to aid that in thanks to their support against a small genestealer infestation the hive city governor gave Ptolemaeus a lump of raw adamantium, the kind that was only found on sotha, it was with this offering he set about forging the head for his crozius....after many weeks of labouring in the forge his weapon had been forged.... "The jaws of sotha" it was dubbed.

As the months have gone on, and into the years Ptolemaeus's fury, honours and battle rights have become all the fiercer, it was on the space hulk code named 'krakens vengence' where his fame spread into another chapter, this chapter was the Dark Angels, the scythes committed their whole strength (60 men) these 60 were spread in their squads to aid the Dark Angels squads, one mission went wrong for the DA where a chaplain, Zufrah and 2 death wing terminators were all that was standing from a pack of lictors and waves of hormaguants and gene stealers....Ptolemaeus lead a 5 man squad to rescue them, it was here that Zufrah saw the raw power in Ptolemaeus both physically and spiritually, after the relief Zufraj degreed that young Ptolemaeus was worthy enough to Don the black mantle of a chaplain, to receive a roll of honour back on the rock, to be left open for where ever he served alongside the Dark angels again and to awarded the Dark angel chapter symbol to mark his honour and the brother hood that stood between the scythes and Dark angels.

War gear:

Crozius 'jaws of sotha'

Combi flamer (loaded with hellfire rounds) "magrah" (named after a super volcano on sotha)

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/E43C2310-C279-47FF-AE83-990B8594B368_zpsrcyvx5tg.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/BE89D54A-3464-4DD0-A830-CDBB2BBB4E24_zpsowigdkkl.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/487509AF-5071-4C99-B5A2-90BC2AC8A6EC_zpslztgd8xf.jpg

Here's a few updates on some scouts too

One angle and different CCW

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/82F6E64B-26D4-4D73-BAEE-037120843E0B_zpsldzpcg9x.jpg

Then This little changing....

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/010898C2-127D-4BDD-84EB-AE9B212FF0E1_zpsfwgcxctm.jpg

What do you think is best?

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/781407BB-2D1B-4C9C-8C93-119AB69463DD_zpsi6dyot8b.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/DCBBE7B0-4F29-45F9-8CAB-A69F89B46F48_zps7pzdmpx1.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/ACA85306-613B-4423-8FE1-E916204C8E10_zpssrjaz00j.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/88DFA9BC-5812-42F8-BB9E-F21B4516AA41_zpsbfumtizf.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/49D14F63-FEA7-49B7-9DF9-883E40A667B5_zpsk0g3g3le.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/85DB2A57-FCE0-44B2-9355-73A33D4B287F_zpsq6p5krdo.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/390FC92C-F4F1-4D1E-A8CD-0EF038D6BB30_zpsz2a8e4gq.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/2D6ABEBB-2DC3-4E99-AC78-EC456676F77A_zps3oqpolgy.jpg

And a group shot of all I've done so far...

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/3600C241-1871-462F-8C32-D623B2760466_zps33liyvkp.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/C980E7FE-3A10-4857-9410-33794CFEF66D_zpscimhtbhg.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/C7F068E9-BDE2-416D-A3A9-161C3B5BCEE4_zpsbfqbcq0z.jpg

Hope you all like the update.

C&C welcome as always

The scouts look good but that Chaplain... You gave him a good background and he's totally stellar now that he's finished

First up - that Chaplain rock - up there with the best I have seen easily. Such an inspiring pose, you nailed it with the painting too. Well done mate.

Nice fluff btw, always adds to the character of a mini and I like to see it :)

Scouts - they also rock! You have got some great poses out of an age kit, I very impressed.

The group shots speak for themselves, you have a great army here. Full of character, one of my fave Chapters. These going to become more than allies and a full army on there own? Something I look forward too!

(Overall, pretty positive from me I think lol)

That Chaplain is brilliant! He conveys real power and danger. The jeweller's chain across the chest is a perfect fit.

The scouts are looking really dynamic as well. Looking forward to seeing them painted :)

Thank you to all you guys for the positive feed back and comments. Much appreciated

@Midnight runner: thanks fella, and these were originally just meant to be an allied detachment to my crimson fists. But it seems that they're slowly looking at becoming a separate army, I have around 700pts added up. So I'm getting that painted up then deciding what to add next. I don't want to bog my self down like I did with my CF's and end up getting burnt out and disheartened, all the PA guys so for in my scythes were lined up for my CF's ect but with this new project it'll help get through all the sprues I have waiting to be done. Who knows I might do another under strength chapter in a year or so.... (Flesh tearers any one?) lol

Who knows I might do another under strength chapter in a year or so.... (Flesh tearers any one?) lol

*cough* Pink Crimson Fists *cough*

Fantastic stuff mate, these are really looking great. I think that you are off to a great start on what could be your next army.

yeah bro, looking great!

I am loving the scouts too, you can always up armour a couple with power armour shoulder pads or greaves, little parrying shields/bucklers, clearly loads of knives - they never run out of ammo, secondary weapons basically keep doing what you are doping!

Archived