Scythes of the emperor.... Update 13/11/18

Thanks a lot guys really appreciate the comments.

@biohazard: the bone was

Basecoat: cathlan brown, then a 50/50 mix of cathlan and khemri brown, wash with Devlan brown, later on 3 coats of ragnarth flesh, then just keep adding Ushmati bone and then just add in white. Re wash with army painter soft tone 70/30 water to wash mix, then thinly add on white to the very edges

Truly inspirational stuff here brother. Not just the build/pose quality but the painting is awe inspiring. I cant even pic a favourite out, it's the whole look of the force it just works so well.

Also it is incredible the amount of progress you have made over the last couple of months. Really looking forward to seeing more.

PS: Those Chaplain eyes are superb. I am not a big fan of massively glowing eye lenses (just my own personal preference of course) but the effect you have achieved really works, him giving him a sinister appearance suited to someone dedicated to keeping the Scythes going in their hellish surroundings.

EDIT + Tell a lie. I do have a favourite. Brother Sergeant Heinrich. Hands down.

Pretty good paintjob, and the Crozius is sweet :)  But the body parts don't really fit together all that well, from what I can see.  The right arm connects real low on the torso, which itself looks awkwardly small on the thick, heavy legs.  Cool as it is, I think the chain running across his chest only adds to that problem by filling the silhouette gap between his lifted thigh and his body.

Then of course there's the Dark Angels icon still lingering on his forehead ;)

But like I said, I think the painting is quite good.  You have a nice little glow going on around the eyes, the black is well done, and you got some fiddly details like the scripture scrawled along his armor.  

Truly inspirational stuff here brother. Not just the build/pose quality but the painting is awe inspiring. I cant even pic a favourite out, it's the whole look of the force it just works so well.

Also it is incredible the amount of progress you have made over the last couple of months. Really looking forward to seeing more.

PS: Those Chaplain eyes are superb. I am not a big fan of massively glowing eye lenses (just my own personal preference of course) but the effect you have achieved really works, him giving him a sinister appearance suited to someone dedicated to keeping the Scythes going in their hellish surroundings.

EDIT + Tell a lie. I do have a favourite. Brother Sergeant Heinrich. Hands down.

Made your mind up then lol thank very much for the comments and props, by this weekend the chaplain and the razorback will be 100% finished. So keep your eyes open ☺️

Pretty good paintjob, and the Crozius is sweet :)  But the body parts don't really fit together all that well, from what I can see.  The right arm connects real low on the torso, which itself looks awkwardly small on the thick, heavy legs.  Cool as it is, I think the chain running across his chest only adds to that problem by filling the silhouette gap between his lifted thigh and his body.

Then of course there's the Dark Angels icon still lingering on his forehead ;)

But like I said, I think the painting is quite good.  You have a nice little glow going on around the eyes, the black is well done, and you got some fiddly details like the scripture scrawled along his armor.

Thank you for the criticism firepower, something I like to see and read to see where I there's feel I've gone wrong a little (all helps) the awkwardness that you're speaking of may be the extra plating that the MKIII has, or might be the angle of the camera? The chain around his torso serves a purpose for his bolter.

With the DA symbol that's written into his bio, chapters do swap badges and chapter symbols as a mark of honour amongst a brother good of warriors.

But again I do thank you for your honesty and criticism

Sweet Chaplain, such an amazing model. Ticks all the right boxes for me!

Thank you brother.

Right....I wanted to try and give my up coming scouts some real spec ops, individuality, action poses....so here's one I done last night, only an attempt to see go hard/easy it was to edit scouts

I would say...it's easy and hard at the same time....

The 1st pose

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/058C5B80-453B-479B-A8DA-43FF65E2CDD6_zpsbfmcu2cg.jpg

Edited it a little to give more of a 'running and gunning' look...

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/60FA5A95-C363-414F-BB4E-0300C0082DAF_zpslt1hgmed.jpg

Then I edited the bolter.....

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/D8C3C8EB-2F7B-4966-AD94-75CFD2D75283_zpsdq5bzveh.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/E0DF344F-79A0-4BBA-8CA6-E9B74F17A901_zps6uuk8bny.jpg

So....this is where it comes to you, the B&C community, I think I'll do 7 scouts.....but what I want or would like the community to do is pull a tremendous amount of ideas and opinions on these scouts.

Little help for you guys, these 7 scouts were the soul surviving scouts of the fall of sotha and the escape from the giants coffin, they all decided that they had twice escaped and survived twice together so they would stay together....

So they're look has to really capture just that, I already have an idea of where I wish to go with these but with the wealth of knowledge a lot of you have over me in terms of converting and sculpting I would really love to here your ideas on these guys.

Thanks for looking, the comments and followers and any ideas that'll be coming my way.

Rob

... I must know how did you do those legs? Are they Landspeeder Storm legs or actually converted normal scout legs?  Either way I must say that is the single most absolute bad-:censored: scout I have ever seen in all my years in the hobby... Huge thumbs up here. 

Great stuff! These Marines truly look like they've been to hell and back. :cool: I particularly liked the bare-headed Marine with the drum barrel bolter, and the veteran with the LC, MkVIII torso and MKII head. :)

I like this I'm just not sure on the head at the moment. It may just be because it isn't painted yet though. I've seen a few Scythes scouts conversions where they've used the odd Nid plate as replacements for shoulder/knee pads etc nothing over the top just a makeshift battlefield fix. I'd look at maybe some bionics or even brining in some bits from the new Scions kit? I thought those heads would look awesome on scouts and help towards the Spec Ops look you mention. I do like the pose though and have to echo the question are those standard legs or from the LSS?

... I must know how did you do those legs? Are they Landspeeder Storm legs or actually converted normal scout legs?  Either way I must say that is the single most absolute bad-:cuss scout I have ever seen in all my years in the hobby... Huge thumbs up here.

Thanks brother, indeed they are LSS legs just re positioned, and I definitely want these scouts to look bad ass.

Great stuff! These Marines truly look like they've been to hell and back. :cool: I particularly liked the bare-headed Marine with the drum barrel bolter, and the veteran with the LC, MkVIII torso and MKII head. :)

Glad you liked Heinrich, that drum mag bolter is actually a personal storm bolter that I completely forgot to write up about...my bad lol

And the LC vet you speak of is one marine in looking forward to painting up.

I like this I'm just not sure on the head at the moment. It may just be because it isn't painted yet though. I've seen a few Scythes scouts conversions where they've used the odd Nid plate as replacements for shoulder/knee pads etc nothing over the top just a makeshift battlefield fix. I'd look at maybe some bionics or even brining in some bits from the new Scions kit? I thought those heads would look awesome on scouts and help towards the Spec Ops look you mention. I do like the pose though and have to echo the question are those standard legs or from the LSS?

Thanks Bio, I did look at the Scions kit....may get one or two helms off eBay and see where and how they look, I'll defiantly be adding some nid carapaces on these scouts, they'll be named "the death leapers"

Those are indeed LSS passenger legs, and a great way to go for dynamic posing. Can't unsee the Chaplain's wonky arm now as well thanks to Firepower.  :blink:

Thank you also fella....and yes damn you Firepower.....the chaplain fell over one time, broke his shoulder it never re set propperly..........lol

What I'd try to make them do is make them look like veterans to be honest - not covering them in purity seals etc - but I think on one of the BT books I've read the crusade couldn't 'upgrade' any of their neophytes because they lacked the geneseed stores, they had to wait for a brother to die to use his geneseed. Their scouts, therefore, were very hardened, and were full brothers in all but name and stature effectively.

I'd go down that road to be honest, a shattered chapter with no resources to speak of cannot properly recruit so the scouts are more than just potentials, they're brothers-in-waiting.

So scar them, give them the same kit that your full brothers have, just in carapace armour not power armour.

That's my 2p though.

That's a mint model btw.

What I'd try to make them do is make them look like veterans to be honest - not covering them in purity seals etc - but I think on one of the BT books I've read the crusade couldn't 'upgrade' any of their neophytes because they lacked the geneseed stores, they had to wait for a brother to die to use his geneseed. Their scouts, therefore, were very hardened, and were full brothers in all but name and stature effectively.

I'd go down that road to be honest, a shattered chapter with no resources to speak of cannot properly recruit so the scouts are more than just potentials, they're brothers-in-waiting.

So scar them, give them the same kit that your full brothers have, just in carapace armour not power armour.

That's my 2p though.

That's a mint model btw.

This! I think going through some of the Imperial Guard/ Astra Militarium kits and choosing appropriate heads will show off the fact that they have had to be scouts for longer then is expected due to lack of resources.  Busted bits of armour with adhoc bits of armour a la the Kroot shoulder pads and maybe some bare arms from the catachans.  

Other then that, this has been a fantastic log to follow and look forward to more of your work in the future!

I got a couple ideas!

Heavy bolter? If so, have him curb stomping a 'nid. Space marine video game style.

Knife lover, just give him about 6 knives from a tactical squad kit, maybe throwing one?

Demolitions, melta spam, be it gun or bomb or 'nades, a larger backpack to carry them with too.

Sniper, maybe build up a taller base to post on? Extra ammo and such.... Goggles?

Could run gunslinger too... Dual pistols are always cool!

I'd definately go for head covering helmets, personal preference is to not get my faced sucked of by a lictor.... Gross. >.<

Keep up the great work!

Really like the use of the dynamic Land speeder storm scout legs as a basis for these scouts; and overall they have a lot of character.  Never been a fan of their Jay Leno man jaw heads though.  My favorite of the 6 is the magazine reloading scout by far. 

As far as suggestions go, maybe shorten the sergeant's chainsword so it is more like the older scout model chain knife?  It looks a little cumbersome as is. 

Lovely work and full of the traditions of Scythe collectors; enjoying the cross armor usage and Heinrich is a favourite. I'm miles from my hobby desk these days, but this sort of work makes me itch to keep on converting!

Thanks for visiting the site, and alerting me to your exceptional work :D

- Seb.

Archived