Deathwatch & Inquisition - Dread & Apothecary Finished Pg 3

Rob451

Finished off the Vanguard squad today. 

10320905_10152058206746377_5025737773839

I'll post better pictures later when I can get the light box set up without disturbing all our Netrunner cards on the dining table :P

I'm going to be a little picky and point out that you've missed the inner part of the backpack (behind the head) on all of your marines with tactical packs.

Namely:

http://i58.tinypic.com/izwyrr.png

Don't get me wrong, the standard of painting overall is fantastic, but little misses like this are the kind of thing that will kick you in the butt at painting comps.

I'm going to be a little picky and point out that you've missed the inner part of the backpack (behind the head) on all of your marines with tactical packs.

Namely:

http://i58.tinypic.com/izwyrr.png

Don't get me wrong, the standard of painting overall is fantastic, but little misses like this are the kind of thing that will kick you in the butt at painting comps.

I haven't missed them I chose not to paint them a contrasting colour in order to create a better canvas for the heads. Too much noise behind the heads would detract from the impact of the unhelmeted marines faces. I've never liked that little bit of detail and always felt it was superfluous.

A quick WIP of a Venerable Dread I started today.

venerablewip.jpg

Currently waiting for a gloss coat to finish drying before I start weathering and detailing which is why he's so shiny.

I feel like he needs more Inquisition iconography though. I need to dig through my Grey Knight Sprues and see what I can find.

Quite a nice force you got there, it's inspiring. I like your minimalist yet smart approach to painting, good job!

That was the flowers, now the pot: I really don't like the barehead on the dreadnought. The rest of the mini is looking good, but that head ruins it IMHO. Marines interred in dreadnought sarcophagus are supposed to be almost unrecognisable from their former selves. This doesn't look like the head of an Astartes who has confronted death...

Anyway, keep up the good work!

JP

Quite a nice force you got there, it's inspiring. I like your minimalist yet smart approach to painting, good job!

That was the flowers, now the pot: I really don't like the barehead on the dreadnought. The rest of the mini is looking good, but that head ruins it IMHO. Marines interred in dreadnought sarcophagus are supposed to be almost unrecognisable from their former selves. This doesn't look like the head of an Astartes who has confronted death...

Anyway, keep up the good work!

JP

In order for a marine to be interred in a dreadnought they must have a working nervous system but an impossible to heal or repair body. This to me means their head is often intact.

That this particular old one prefers to see the world with their own eyes is something unique to him and I feel the visible head reminds us that inside these hulking war machines is an individual who will never be allowed the rest of death.

On a more practical note the front comes off to reveal his broken body which looks really cool without the helmet.

• 4 weeks later...

I've not been updating this thread as much as I should have considering that work has continued on this project.

Since last posting I have finished the Dreadnought and also added an Apothecary.

drreadnought.jpg

apothecary.jpg

Still not had time to set up the light box and take better pictures though.

I did go back on my original intention of having a Dreadnought without a helmet due to just not liking the way the head was so small in the available space. It looked unbalanced. In the end I went with painting the helmet silver and giving it the same glowing lenses as the rest of the helmeted marines.

The Apothecary was something of a challenge as I've not painted any white armour before. In the end I repainted the white sections 3 times before I was happy with the result (really glad I didn't assemble him fully before painting). I  painted his lenses differently to try and make him less aggressive looking than the rest of the marines.

Right now I'm painting up the Space Wolves from Stormclaw but I have another 10 Deathwatch marines ready to paint (5 Assault and 5 Bolter) just to round the force out to 3 full Kill Teams. After they're done I'm probably going to get a couple of Drop pods done.

• 8 months later...
Updating this thread with better more up to date pictures now that I've completely finished this project.

Inquisitor

Watch Captain

Epistolary

Command Squad with Apothecary & Watch Champion

Techmarine & Servitors

Vanguard Veterans

Kill Team

Kill Team

Kill Team

Kill Team

Landraider Crusader

Archived