+ The Angels Numinous +

A D-B

Nice kitbash, brother. More of the same, please. :)

As for colour scheme, I think a nice bright orange could be good, especially considering the name (and no, I didn't confuse it with 'luminous' :P ). Perhaps orange and white, maybe?

Bless you, guys. Thanks a lot for the encouragement so far.

And... it continues.

14128767166_8d0184603e_h.jpg

Good start. Who is this representing, out of interest? Vet Sarge?

Naw, these guys are just the first two standard Assault Marines.

Nice use of bits there bud. I look forward to seeing how you paint him.

I have a test model that I'm working on that's had a weird process (White, then yellow wash, then red glaze... Not sure if I love it or hate it...) but I really like this guide from How to Paint Space Marines, as it looks almost old-school "Blood Angels Orange". I asked one of the Sales & Marketing guys if this was okay to post - it doesn't show the step-by-step details in a screenshot but you get the idea of the end result. So I might try this and see how it goes.

14152146945_dd6de6e787_b.jpg

Sweet start. Will we be seeing some background for them?

Yeah. Not an official B&C-style Index Astartes article, but my Angels Numinous Word.doc is at about 6,000 words right now, and almost finished. They're getting some heavy development for my campaign, alongside John French's Red Seraphs.

There's a hell of a lot of background incoming.

Very unique mix of arms and armor. 

I try to use at least 3-4 different kits for every one of them, because:

• I want them to look unique-ish without space bling. I love bling on officers, but not much on battle-brothers.
  • To represent the Angels Numinous' penchant for battlefield scavenging and infrequent resupply.
  • To reflect the fact that a mix of armour marks would be more common among most Chapters than most boxes imply. Although the new Tactical Squad kit has loads of variant armour mark options, which rocks on toast for my tastes.

I think the second model is made from 5 kits, and the first is made from 7 or 8. The benefits of a huge bitz box.

Diverse kitbashery and an attempt at an old-school orange/red? This does look very promising indeed. I will be taking your sig at it's word, though, brother. wink.png

Don't let me pressure you, but I'm eager to see your ideas - both in concept/fluff and execution - for the Death Company and Sanguinary Guard. I trust you'll provide a suitable twist to them ;)

If I screw this one up for it to turn into yet another unpainted army, then I'm just going to quit and play Chess Regicide.

I dunno. They say that all-black and all-white armies are some of the hardest to pull off...

Love the kitbashes, the paint scheme looks good.

I'm a little wary of nuln-oil-washing Mephiston red. I'd maybe try in on something else first? I would have thought painting it into the recesses, or a carroburg wash may have been better. I think the oil would smear and darken the surface of the parmour too much. Maybe thin it a lot?

Really liking the diverse armour your going for. Reminds me of a story but for the life of me I can't remember which one. A marine chapter gets a load of armour recovered (might have been salamanders?) and another chapter tried nicking it as they're really badly supplied.

Lol ... Looks like I'm going to end up scrambling through books later trying to work out which BL book it was in.

Assuming those guys are from the same squad, I like how varied the armor looks between them, but they'll still look consistent since neither has excess bling. From the melta-pistol, I'm gathering stud-head is the sergeant? So he'll stand out just enough, but not too much. Good!

ADB -

Nice selection of bitz for the models - interesting without being too cluttered, which can be a challenge when mixing marks/weapons from multiple kits. Something Carcharadon-esque about the Heresy armoured chap.

As for the Angels Numinous, although i'm reluctant to give any advice as you're an experienced modeller, i'd suggest you go for something closer to the WD scheme if you're looking at an "old school" red? Washes/glazes can be a difficult blend to keep consistent.

I've used a not dissimlar process as the picture above to complete my Pre-heresy Blood Angels, and with the removal of the Nuln washes you can get a very striking red/orange look. I used the fleshtone washes to shade but at the "warmer" scale as I think a pure black wash can sometime be a little much. It can also darker the red to something more Khornate than you'd want perhaps. The trick is to get a suitable orange highlight to drag it closer to the old 2nd/3rd edition techniques. Or score yourself some OOP Red Ink. I managed with a combination of the OOP Solar Mach. orange and the current red glazes/washes. My plog has plenty of examples of the style I think you're describing.

Anyway - best wishes on your current project!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I'll have some better photos soon, but here's an overall shot of the first Assault demi-Squad, who have "V" in brass etch on their right shoulder guards.

14089699309_a1d8d6ec23_h.jpg

I had a pretty specific atmosphere in mind when I made them, in that they're in the middle of a boarding action (or rather, repelling boarders) and are holding a critical corridor junction. I wanted an Assault Squad with a stalwart "Hold at all costs" vibe instead of the usual "sprinting forward to kill the bad guys" theme.

I kept up the plan to use 5-8 kits for each model, and as is obvious from the photo, the Angels Numinous (like the Flesh Tearers) use chainaxes as well as chainswords. 

Behold these unpainted warriors standing atop my printer, defending my wireless headphones.

Archived