+ The Angels Numinous +

A D-B

ADB - the only person on B+C whose fluff will bring more viewers than his models!

;)

Concerning your red scheme, you may have seen it, but if not, there's a brilliant model over on Spiky Rat Pack which has the most awesome red - he even provides a recipe for it: http://spikyratpack.blogspot.fi/2013/02/red-corsair-ragal-gair-champion-of-fleet.html

I like the way you're mixing parts to get a different look to each marine - Individual marines are always better than bog standard!

Monty Python and the Life of Brian: "We're all individuals!" ... "I'm not!"

Progress: bases are undercoated black and Space Marines undercoated white, ready for painting. I'm trying the bold new move of doing the bases first, like all the advice actually suggests. What an exciting new age this is.

Nice work. I see you're also using brass etch for the bases too.

I may use them for the entire army, I'm not sure yet. I'm not equipping the entire army for a boarding action list, but there're two considerations nevertheless: 1. The Angels Numinous' speciality, insofar as they have one, is that they're aggressive void hunters and ambushers, engaging in boarding actions and void combat whenever they can, and 2. I love the way the bases look.

The next squad I'm going to do will probably be a 3-man Rapier Laser Destroyer battery with a kitbashed Devastator gunnery crew, which obviously ties into the boarding action theme, but after that I might do something with a traditional set of bases instead. I'm not worried about the bases matching across the entire army - I care more that every squad has its own internal theme (hence the "hold fast" poses of the first 5-man Assault Squad, which likely won't match the "running forward" vibe of the next Assault guys.)

Not to get too far ahead of myself, but I want to capture the vibe of these two classic images in my "Devastator" RLD battery:

14298485395_e96a3d0fa8_z.jpg

14298029894_778743bb34_o.jpg

The sergeant in that Dev kit is one of my fave Citadel miniatures ever, and that was one of the first boxes I ever owned as a kid. You see him recreated here and there in various Blood Angel armies, so I think he must be pretty fondly remembered by a bunch of us.

I'll be making them from a bunch of Mark IV Heresy Command Pack bitz, a Master of Ordnance, a Devastator kit, a Tactical Squad, a Boarding Assault Upgrade set, and the Rapier Laser Destroyer kits (obviously...).

But anyway, that's next. I need to save up a bit for that slice of madness, and get the Assaulters done first.

ADB -

Nice selection of bitz for the models - interesting without being too cluttered, which can be a challenge when mixing marks/weapons from multiple kits. Something Carcharadon-esque about the Heresy armoured chap.

As for the Angels Numinous, although i'm reluctant to give any advice as you're an experienced modeller, i'd suggest you go for something closer to the WD scheme if you're looking at an "old school" red? Washes/glazes can be a difficult blend to keep consistent.

I've used a not dissimlar process as the picture above to complete my Pre-heresy Blood Angels, and with the removal of the Nuln washes you can get a very striking red/orange look. I used the fleshtone washes to shade but at the "warmer" scale as I think a pure black wash can sometime be a little much. It can also darker the red to something more Khornate than you'd want perhaps. The trick is to get a suitable orange highlight to drag it closer to the old 2nd/3rd edition techniques. Or score yourself some OOP Red Ink. I managed with a combination of the OOP Solar Mach. orange and the current red glazes/washes. My plog has plenty of examples of the style I think you're describing.

Anyway - best wishes on your current project!

Any advice is welcomed, trust me, Nov. I've kitbashed a fair bit, fielded entire 4,000-point High Elf armies and 2,000-point Chaos Marine armies, but I've actually painted fewer than 20 models in about 20 years - and half of those were from Space Crusade and HeroQuest. So feel free to say whatever you want without hurting my precious, precious feelings.

Your plog is a thing of usefulness and beauty, by the way. It's pretty much the similar vibe I'm going for, too. See below.

Was about to suggest Novembers thread ^

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/288513-novembers-imaginarium/page-3

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b451/Cotidie86/IMG_0627.jpg

This is exactly what I mean. Great recommendation, MM.

I want to try and recreate some classic-vibe stuff with newer models, and part of that look obviously comes down to the Blood Angels Orange colour, and the hazard striping on classic Blood Angel weapons. Like so:

14111868428_57a845a974_z.jpg

A lot of that's way beyond my painting skill, but I think I can run with some of it.

Really liking the diverse armour your going for. Reminds me of a story but for the life of me I can't remember which one. A marine chapter gets a load of armour recovered (might have been salamanders?) and another chapter tried nicking it as they're really badly supplied.

Lol ... Looks like I'm going to end up scrambling through books later trying to work out which BL book it was in.

I think that'd be the Marines Malevolent, in Nick Kyme's Salamander. And you're dead right, it's the same vulture/carrion-feeder vibe here, which I'll show better in my army background.

Don't let me pressure you, but I'm eager to see your ideas - both in concept/fluff and execution - for the Death Company and Sanguinary Guard. I trust you'll provide a suitable twist to them msn-wink.gif

Nothing drastic, but yeah. I like to take traditional concepts and show them in an interesting light rather than make things too outlandish and rely on special snowflake-ness, so the Angels Numinous are a fairly traditional Blood Angel Successor. But yeah, they've got their own spin on a lot of their parent Chapter's cultural triggers.

Their Death Company is called the Tahk'Rakym, and their use is demonstrated in this quote:

"Break their lines with the Tahk'Rakym, then let the Celestial Choirs descend on wings of iron and fire. Return with fresh triumph-scars torn into your flesh, or do not return at all."

-- Chapter Master Sedaqar Akun,
Priest-King of Orakalu, Lord of Carrion Reach

And here's a viewfinder pict taken on their homeworld Orakalu, showing the innocent surface of their subterranean fortress-monastery, the Cradle of the Priest-Kings.

14111844360_e730c0248b_c.jpg

By Celestial Choirs I assume you mean the Assault squads? Or is it the Sanguinary Guard?

Lovely choice of a colour scheme .Though I'm not a fan of all the colour and patter mixture on the weapons, it does provide for a truer 'Chapter' look.

Quote ADB - A lot of that's way beyond my painting skill, but I think I can run with some of it.

Push the boundries a bit, then you get a little better each time, I never magnetised before I came to the b+c, then I tried it, and every time I install a magnet now the fit gets a little better and the on my index finger callouses further (due to lack of pin vice I roll the bit between my thumb and said finger, must buy a pin vice!)

Point being just give it a go, can't hurt to try!

now for the inner fanboy: I chose to play Night Lords thanks to your books, look forward to seeing painted models!

Progress: bases are undercoated black and Space Marines undercoated white, ready for painting. I'm trying the bold new move of doing the bases first, like all the advice actually suggests. What an exciting new age this is.

"Break their lines with the Tahk'Rakym, then let the Celestial Choirs descend on wings of iron and fire. Return with fresh triumph-scars torn into your flesh, or do not return at all."

-- Chapter Master Sedaqar Akun,

Priest-King of Orakalu, Lord of Carrion Reach

Man even picking up on Chapters that have barely a line or two of history and in a score of words you give them life and meaning. That line alone deserves a short story in the Xmas advent calendar this year.

I'm pretty sure there's a version of that devastator sergeant floating around the boards somewhere, either in a plog or showcase and he looks awesome. No pressure ;)

Not bad. The hazard stripping seems pretty decent for (what appears to be) freehand. If you can find yourself some P3 armour wash, I totally recommend slapping some on to that base to add some depth to the metallic portion of it. ;)

If you are a hyper detailer, use typhus corrosion on the counter sinks, and pick out the bolt with the rust color, but only on the edges.

When people put bolts in the sweat from their hand causes the metal to oxidize and mix with the lubricant used to attach the bolt. It makes it look grimy around the sink and rusty around the edges.

If you are a hyper detailer, use typhus corrosion on the counter sinks, and pick out the bolt with the rust color, but only on the edges.

When people put bolts in the sweat from their hand causes the metal to oxidize and mix with the lubricant used to attach the bolt. It makes it look grimy around the sink and rusty around the edges.

That amount of detail would make me cry if I was doing it! Would look awesome though, so gauntlet thrown down ;)

I've ordered some Typhus Corrosion because of you. I hope you feel guilty.

Looks cool to me, will make the Blood Angel Orange-esque hues you are planning stand out a treat. Bright armour against pale basing, though I do always like black base rims, just because...

Black base rims are the way forward.

And yeah, I'm thinking it'll look nice with the light-red-with-orange-edges when I get to that point.

Not bad. The hazard stripping seems pretty decent for (what appears to be) freehand. If you can find yourself some P3 armour wash, I totally recommend slapping some on to that base to add some depth to the metallic portion of it. msn-wink.gif

I've washed it with Nuln Oil another couple of times since that photo - it's still not much darker or more defined, but it looks a little nicer overall. Painting over the brass etch feels a little weird. The texture of it, I mean. It feels less forgiving than plastic, tin, and resin.

Looking very solid! I've always felt basing adds so much to a model/its background (sounds silly) and, in terms of the hobby, really makes the model pop. I think this is the first time I've seen those zone mortalis FW bases, and I have to say they look awesome, especially with the hazard stripes! Keep it up!

Update on how the test base (and my extremely zoomed-in hand) came out:

14358408233_e383a5e674_c.jpg

You're a braver man than I to do the hazard stripping on the bases. Great contrast between base and mini however so should enhance them a lot

Archived