+ The Angels Numinous +

A D-B

I'm one bolt pistol away from finishing my first mini. 

Man, I'm slow.

I finished a figure this year. The last time I did that was 1999. I think I got you beat.

The mini looks good, but I think I'm more impressed by the base. Great job all around.

Obviously I was completely wrong about the chapter symbol. Looks great though, the purple is a nice contrast to the red and you don't see enough stone on marines. Most people unfortunately don't bother for cruxes either.

Is there anything in particular you get hung up on which makes you spend a lot of time on a model? I normally just stare at mine and hope they paint themselves while I watch some more painting videos instead. But procrastination aside, I think my painting never matches the image in my head which makes me very hesitant when doing something new.

Those chainswords and bolt pistols also look really good. Like I might have to get some good...

Well I take my hat off to you sir. That was definitely worth the effort and time you've put into it. Really like how the mishmash of bits has been pulled together with a really good paint job! :)

I'd definitely stick with that colour scheme to be honest, the bone coloured aquila and the metal trimming set it apart from the Blood Angels enough to show that it is a successor chapter while the red ties it nicely to their progenitor chapter.

Very nice stuff. :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

Ohh, cool. Didn't know you could paint, too. That bone technique on the eagle looks particularly nice. whistlingW.gif

The red highlights are real crisp, which is a royal pain at the best of times. The yellow is spot on. Metal washes, eyes, base...all good.

The one thing that realy pops out is the texture. It looks like the red took a lot of coats to get on? It seems rather thick in places, and that's being exaggerated a bit more in the pics I think thanks to the reflective surface. Either wash residue or a satin/gloss varnish, I'm guessing?

Anywho, so long as it doesn't mean I have to wait longer for your books, I'd like to see more biggrin.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As unbelievable as it may be, this isn't over. The first squad's been undercoated and basecoated, and I've almost finished the second Assault Marine. I've also cleaned up some bitz and bought a bunch of new stuff to eventually get 'round to building.

Something about Heresy-era weapons (most notably chainswords and pistols) really appeals to me, partly because I think they look a little cruder and more intimidating, and partly because they give me a Rogue Trader / Codex Imperalis vibe. Don't get me wrong, I love the standard weapons, too - but filling squads out with Heresy-range weapons adds to the distinctiveness, especially as I don't use as much Blood Angel iconography as a lot of other players. 

Again, I think that bling rocks on toast, but the Angels Numinous are a fairly beleaguered (though not necessarily under-strength) Chapter; I want to save heavy iconography for Sergeants, Captains, and other officers, to mark them out.

15136599928_758a9b5b09_c.jpg

15136450479_1048acb8bf_c.jpg

I don't enjoy painting large vehicles - or rather, I've never done it and the thought fills me with dread, especially as my drybrush-and-shade-and-glaze colour scheme doesn't transfer well to huge flat surfaces. And by "larger vehicles" I mean anything bigger than a Dreadnought. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's time to nut up or shut up. And probably some other cliches that I can't think of right now. 

For now, I'm focusing on the Angels Numinous' first tabletop outing, which will be a 500-point Combat Patrol weekend in January.

Where Combat Patrol is concerned, I've realised a few things that other Blood Angel players have been saying for ages, that I basically glossed over. Probably the most important one of those things is that Death Company - with jump packs - are savagely expensive points-wise. Especially when 5 of them take up half of your points allowance. Jeebus, that's not cheap. I may just take footsloggers, or hold off completely until the rumoured codex eventually drops. I really like the look of Death Company with bolters, so I may just bite the bullet and commit to them instead of the expensive flying fellows.

(I also question the logic of Death Company in a Combat Patrol just in tactical in-universe terms, but I've got a metallic grey-black that I like, and I really want to paint some Death Company models. It could just as easily be a small squad of brothers that succumbed while on deployment, rather than a commander specifically saying "I'll take those five berserk guys with me on my scouting mission. That'll go well, I'm sure.")

As an interestingly insane aside, I've managed to make a Razorback cost over £100, with various Forge World gubbinz. Buying that may not be wise, but I am not a wise man. 

Here's my first scratch at a list, which is destined to change very soon. I may take two Land Speeders, as long as it's not going to be too much for other lists to handle. But at 500pts. that's less of a worry than it would be at, say, 400pts.

The theme I wanted to go with is the idea of a small strike force - the Space Marine crew of a single frigate - led by a Sanguinary Priest and scouting the border worlds of their protectorate. They're a patrol in the classic sense of the word, as well as the guardians of the edges of their domain.

Any advice and feedback welcomed.

Sanguinary Priest - 65

·         Power sword

Assault Squad (5 models) - 190

·         Flamer

·         Razorback with lascannon and twin-linked plasma gun

·         Sergeant is armed with a power sword, melta bombs, and a combat shield

Death Company (5 models) - 175

·         Entire squad has jump packs

Land Speeder Tornado - 70

·         Multi-melta

·         Tornado pattern heavy flamer

Total: 500

As an interestingly insane aside, I've managed to make a Razorback cost over £100, with various Forge World gubbinz. Buying that may not be wise, but I am not a wise man.

Is that including the cost of the razorback? It'd be much more impressive if it wasn't.  Forgeword kits rack up the price pretty fast, even if they seem "cheap" by comparison to other things forgeworld sells.

I eagerly await more WIPs from your thread ADB; I agree that the heresy era chain weapons have a brutal, gritty aesthetic to them that sets them apart from their clean lined modern counterparts.  Whatever rolls off your assembly line should be sure to please.

I may not be overly familiar with low point games, but it seems to me you might have a bit of an issue with armies that focus a bit more on ranged combat. you can probably take out most enemies if you fight in close combat, but an issue I see is that your Death Company, while with jump packs and with their FnP rule can be a bit sturdy, may fall short should your opponent does the smart thing and focuses fire on them. That leaves your Assault Squad which lacks the simple fact that they cannot assault the turn they come out of the Razorback. That leaves them a turn to fire their pistols and flamer, but then promptly leaves them open to be mauled by anything else. Its not a very agreeable give and take if you ask me, if that makes any sense. I think if anything you should try looking towards adding some kind of sustainable output in terms of ranged damage. It seems to be where your list lacks. Just my observation.

If I may, I'd just like to ask a question. Recently I've been putting together ideas for a Death Watch Killteam, one of which I decided to be a member of the Angel's Numinous because I enjoyed their very twisted and rather scornful viewpoint of the Death Company which is at odds with most other Chapters. With that in mind, I was thinking I might paint him up in a similar scheme to what you're using, but I just had a question for that. For your Angels Numinous, are you painting their Chapter colors to have a yellow helm or is that helm specifically yellow because your marine is of an assault squad sticking to the same identification doctrines as the Blood Angels. If so, what color is it normally? Just a deep crimson like the rest of the model?

I hear ya on the Death Company points cost. I think the general consensus is (at least in my mind, so maybe not general at all) that you need to go big or go home with Death Company, taking around nine of them plus a Reclusiarch (for re-rolls) in a Land Raider. That creates a 650+ point unit that annihilates what it hits, but is obviously really expensive. I think it's a good idea on your part to see what the potential new codex brings because the jump packs need to get cheaper! smile.png

Is that including the cost of the razorback? It'd be much more impressive if it wasn't. Forgeword kits rack up the price pretty fast, even if they seem "cheap" by comparison to other things forgeworld sells.

I eagerly await more WIPs from your thread ADB; I agree that the heresy era chain weapons have a brutal, gritty aesthetic to them that sets them apart from their clean lined modern counterparts. Whatever rolls off your assembly line should be sure to please.

Including the cost of the Razorback, it comes to £117. Which is sort of ludicrous, but I'm still really tempted. It'd look so cool if I did it right.

I may not be overly familiar with low point games, but it seems to me you might have a bit of an issue with armies that focus a bit more on ranged combat. you can probably take out most enemies if you fight in close combat, but an issue I see is that your Death Company, while with jump packs and with their FnP rule can be a bit sturdy, may fall short should your opponent does the smart thing and focuses fire on them. That leaves your Assault Squad which lacks the simple fact that they cannot assault the turn they come out of the Razorback. That leaves them a turn to fire their pistols and flamer, but then promptly leaves them open to be mauled by anything else. Its not a very agreeable give and take if you ask me, if that makes any sense. I think if anything you should try looking towards adding some kind of sustainable output in terms of ranged damage. It seems to be where your list lacks. Just my observation.

If I may, I'd just like to ask a question. Recently I've been putting together ideas for a Death Watch Killteam, one of which I decided to be a member of the Angel's Numinous because I enjoyed their very twisted and rather scornful viewpoint of the Death Company which is at odds with most other Chapters. With that in mind, I was thinking I might paint him up in a similar scheme to what you're using, but I just had a question for that. For your Angels Numinous, are you painting their Chapter colors to have a yellow helm or is that helm specifically yellow because your marine is of an assault squad sticking to the same identification doctrines as the Blood Angels. If so, what color is it normally? Just a deep crimson like the rest of the model?

I think you're right about the list. Even as I was making it I was pretty certain it'd suck, but it was a good place to start. Chopping out the Death Company, or at least holding off on their jump packs, is probably a good idea.

As for the Chapter's colours, you're dead right. Originally I was going with traditional Blood Angels helmet colours but over time I've changed it up a little. The Angels Numinous all wear yellow helms, and their Chapter symbol is an amethyst blood-drop instead of red, with bone/ivory wings instead of white.

I hear ya on the Death Company points cost. I think the general consensus is (at least in my mind, so maybe not general at all) that you need to go big or go home with Death Company, taking around nine of them plus a Reclusiarch (for re-rolls) in a Land Raider. That creates a 650+ point unit that annihilates what it hits, but is obviously really expensive. I think it's a good idea on your part to see what the potential new codex brings because the jump packs need to get cheaper! smile.png

Yeah. It seems wiser and wiser to wait where the Death Company are concerned.

650+ points of sheer black-clad murder is pretty grim stuff. I shudder to think at the slaughter they've put behind them.

Thanks for the clarification on the helmet color. Honestly I think it looks great like that so I think keeping it as a theme across the army would look stellar and add a level of uniqueness to it. And hey, if the Angels Numinous have a very heavy emphasis on assault, you can totally work that into their lore as part of their transition from their mother Chapter.

The reason why I ask is because when I was debating the concept the helmet seemed to be a very striking facet. With that in mind I thought it might be interesting for him to keep his helmet yellow even when he's seconded to the Death Watch as a matter of pride in his Chapter.

I'm both intrigued and appalled to think of the amount of gear that rhino has got to pack to reach £100 ph34r.png

Razorback £27

Dozer blade £11.50

Predator/Rhino reinforced armor: £19.50

Forgeworld doors: £11.50

Forgeworld turret mount: £13.50

Brass etch: £10.00

Purity seal/skull icon set: £7.50

Total: £100.5 And that's just assuming he wants one turret option.

Am I close ADB?

Have you thought on magnets for your DC? It is not that difficult to do and will save you time (and money) - the same squad can roll with jump packs or in a Spartan!

As fir your list, consider an axe for the Priest (will be better when you expand the army), Sgt to take the challenges, Priest to wade in on his init hitting on 3's wounding on 2's and don't forget the all important AP2

ADB, I haven't been around long enough to tease you about your slow painting- all I know is that is one fine looking Space Marine! Both the red and the yellow look excellent! I know what Firepower is referring to on the layering of the red, but that will improve with repetition as you learn how many layers you need (or don't need, lol) to achieve the effect you want. I went through the same thing with yellow myself.

I love the purple accents and those raised squad badges. Excuse my ignorance, but where are those from?

£117 on a Razorback? Not even a blinged up Spartan/Storm Eagle but a Razorback? This I want to see because for that price the thing should be solid gold never mind plastic

As for the Death Company point above I wholeheartedly agree. The only time they really work well is as a hammer so it pays to make that hammer as big as possible. I'd probably replace them with something that has a bit of ranged killing power

Archived