Night Lords 33rd Company - The Mongrels of the Eight

MrBear

*Clears away the accumulated dust and spider webs*

Any possibility you could reupload the pictures of first claw?

I'd love to help you out there mate, but there is a teeny, tiny problem... You see, I've never made any version of THE First Claw of ADB fame. Partly because I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do them justice, and partly because there are already so many good versions of them (yours included).

'First Claw' in this log is simply the first squad of my 'Mongrels', a lovely bunch of psychos in their own way but not exactly as famous as their namesakes. I do have a couple of pictures of them here if it's any help or inspiration though:

yqOgcVz.png

4kY2iB8.png

zlh6Byt.png

I took them earlier this afternoon, and it's rather bad light this time of day during late autumn in the northern half of Sweden, but these pictures are ok at least.

I will have to take quite a lot of new pictures though. The Machine-Spirit in one of my hard drives kind of... 'gave up' a couple of months ago, and combined with photo bucket being delusional enough to think I will pay them large sums of money it means that I've lost most of my early pictures. As my intention is to paint something new for this log in a couple of months (or three)it wouldn't feel right to  leave all those... 'friendly messages' from photo bucket in place when that time comes, they will be replaced with new, fresh pictures instead. :yes:

There are still Sons of Horus to paint for now, but I have ideas for the Mongrels aswell so something new in December or January perhaps? :wink:

I see! Still these are still very cool and I appreciate you took the time to reply and photograph them! I'll be waiting for your next update!

No worries mate, the community thread for the Night Lords tends to be a bit inactive these days but we of the VIIIth help each other out nonetheless. :yes:

It lives!! Great work as always

Thanks mate, 'lives' is a bit grand as of yet though, 'stirring in sleep' is a bit more accurate for the moment. A bit closer to awaking each passing day though, awaiting the 'right' Necromunda release for the next planned thing. If that takes too long time though... Then I'll think about something else, about time to 'stand in midnight clad' again. 

• 1 month later...

*clears throat* 

Time for 'sort of an update' here I guess. Not related to the 33rd I'm afraid but I didn't have place to put it where it fit so...

C2QBzLR.png

gStlb3d.png

No, I'm not 'going Xenos'... I was in the mood for painting, but not exactly in the mood for doing battle damage on my Sons of Horus. Since I have a Space Hulk set that's been gathering dust for ages I thought that I could always try to invent a colour scheme to use whenever I'm going to paint the set. 

'Speed-painted' by my standards as I've only done some 'on and off'-painting on it since yesterday evening, and looking better live than in these pictures (taking photos this time of year *sighs*), but for being my first ever Tyranid I'm pretty pleased with it.

'What about the Night Lords?' you might ask? Patience, I have some SoH Cataphractii to finish first but then... Expect me to start painting some new Night Lords in a few weeks.

I'm thinking that Necromunda may be my next project too, simply for the sake of nostalgia. I really want to see what they do with the other Houses first.

I might, or might not, paint a proper gang when I have some more Houses to choose between, but at the very least I will paint some gangers as 'cultists' for the Mongrels.

• 1 month later...

*Stands in midnight clad*

It's been a while but here we are again! I've been quite occupied with the Heresy era, happily painting my Sons of Horus. The poor, neglected  'Mongrels' have been in my mind aswell though, gnawing at my attention. So since  pretty much 1,5 years have gone by since the last time I touched my pots of Kantor Blue I better do something about it. Time for some reinforcements!

ObL96NZ.jpg

Yes, it's going to be a bunch of bikers this time, I've only built this guy so far, and he's partly tacked together atm to make it easier to paint him, but he's going to get some company during the coming week. 

Like the color scheme.:thumbsup: Looks like he has some SOH genes:tongue.: .

Thanks buddy! He might have SoH genes who knows? A more likely explanation might be that I'm a lazy bastard that wanted to make things easy for my self for this experiment though. :tongue.:

Cheers!

With my cold slowly returning home to Father Nurgle I've managed to find the energy and time to build a couple of bikers more:

d5tMhWN.jpg

And 'all' three of them together:

YRpGEP8.jpg

Will build some more the coming days, and I can hopefully start to (slowly) paint them next week.

Looking good MrBear, exited to see more of your Night Lords coming.

Are you keeping your bikes on those bases or moving them to the new oval ones?

Thanks man! It will be slow work though, glacial painter that I am... Will do my best to speed it up but won't make any promises. :tongue.:

As far as I can see the bases they come with are oval though? Or are there newer ones that I have missed?

As I realised that I won't have as much hobby time as I first thought these next couple of days I speeded things up a bit tonight instead:

eFqRgZf.jpg

MgLxN6X.jpg

With these three the squad is finished

iqJybZD.jpg

Painting them will take time... But I will also start to take new pictures instead of the old ones that Photobucket took hostage so there will be more activity than the number of  'proper' updates will show.

Great to see you back on the mongrels, good start on those bikes.

Thanks man! I'm still mainly concentrating on my SoH but it was due time for some Mongrels, and even though the next thing I paint after this will be SoH-related there are more things planned for the 33rd in 2018 than this. :smile.:

Vrrooooooooomm Vrooooomm . :tongue.:  Good to see the Mongrels on the loose again.

Vrrooooomm Vroooooomm indeed buddy! :tongue.: I had this 'itch' I had to take care of, both when it comes to painting, and background writing so this felt like a pretty good way to remedy it.

Cheers!

• 5 months later...

Well time mother *beeping* flies sometimes, but here we are again. Why I've been gone so long? Well, busiest semester ever at the school were I work combined with the fact that I managed to hurt my shoulder back in February ( Rotator cuff tear) meant that painting was rather low on my priorities... Getting back in the saddle now though!

ONAhPSZ.png

Not the best of photos, and plenty of work left on these guys as you may see, but at least we're moving in the right direction again. :cool.:

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

It's bloody hot here in Sweden atm, apparently the hottest July since at least 260 years, which doesn't leave much energy for painting. I've been working a bit on the bikes though.

Nl7uPwZ.png

I find them a bit... 'boring' to work with, can't really put my finger on why, but as long as there is progress that's what matters

Nice to see you back MrBear.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Thanks Dallo! Will do my best.

Great to see you back with some Night Lords action! Really like the kitbashing of the riders - really got the mongrel look down with the mixed up armour! Love the MK2 helm guy!!

Thanks Eidolon! Can't stop kitbashing this far into this project, wouldn't feel right to leave them looking 'standardised' standing next to their brother Mongrels :biggrin.:

On a semi-related subject...

Been thinking a bit about getting Kill Team as a way of actually playing with my army, but the whole 'got to drive 200 km back and forth for a game'-thing is still something of a hindrance... With my entire collection of Night Lords consisting of converted dudes it would be pretty darn easy to make a Kill Team though so we'll see. Took a photo of a potential KT as an example

F81EqEC.png

Cheers!

Lazy polar bear that I am there haven't been much done during the heat wave here in Sweden, nothing worth taking pictures of at least. One thing I've done though is taking a few pictures. Not as exciting as it might sound, it's 'simply' pictures of 'Captain Justinian', and his 'First Claw' again. One might wonder why, but the reason is simply that I, from time to time, post the background stories of the 'Mongrels' in other places, and I was in need of some new pictures of the fellows in question. Might as well post them here also.

xfOt27w.png

shyctjH.png

c6qipWv.png

AmGw1Az.png

tnv1jkc.png

Not much to say about these guys that I haven't already said so...

Well done.

Thanks man! Glad you like them.

I was going to ask about a Mongrel kill team but it looks like you beat me to it.

Dallo

Well, 'great minds think alike' and all that. :wink:  Far from certain that they will 'see action' but I couldn't resist to make a KT anyway.

The Bear is Back.:thumbsup:

Sure looks that way! :biggrin.:

Nice to see you back, the Kill Team looks good, particularly the fellow with the trophy heads.

Thans Pearson! 'Ol Scadrial is an old favourite of mine aswell. It's a pity that CSM can't have Medics (even though it makes sense considering the rarity of CSM Apothecaries), but he would probably be used as a 'bolt pistol and chainsword'-guy even though he's not striclty WYSIWYG for that.

We're starting to have more normal weather here now so there's a pretty good chance of some actual painting of the bikers resumes in a short time, but until then...

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Ahem, time kinda flew away again... Partly due to me having to go back to work, partly due to me falling sick for a week just before my vacation ended. Bad combination for anything hobby related. Been getting fully back in the saddle this last week though, and can offer some small proof of actual painting:

UbOFMum.png

Not a brilliant picture in any way (as with any pictures taken after sundown), but at least some progress. :smile.:

I see you put a lot of effort in these guys. Again, well done.

Thanks Bjorn! Haven't played a game in 13 years so putting effort in painting them kinda becomes the whole reason for painting them :biggrin.: . Slow work for sure, but it's quite relaxing. 

Cheers!

Archived