4th Tarosian Regiment - Devildog

I finished the bases on the above Veterans, and managed to find a space at work to Purity Seal them and get better pictures than the previous. Also saw Fury last night. Recommend it to any treadhead of the Emperor's mighty armies. Has some very cool tank combat, with a lot of it showing things in the hull, something I haven't seen in any movie, especially a WWII one.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20141118_13_21_21_Pro.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20141118_13_21_56_Pro.jpg

They've turned out great, well done Coffee - excellent conversion work too :tu: Holey meltas are recommended to complete the look too ;)

I want to see Fury, I read some articles on the guy they interviewed and talked to about it and his stories are great. The way tankers worked then is the same as now more or less, so I like to imagine that nothing has changed in the 41st Millennium :) There's something about being engaged in a pitched battle and between targeting enemy tanks someone passes you up a cheese sandwich :lol:

Thanks for the comments guys, I promise I will invest in a drill some day! (Probably after this Christmas expense.) I'm not gunna bother with the Lasguns, though, as some art depicts them as actually having a lens at the end of the barrel, which makes a lot of sense IMO. I even painted these guys up as such, or at least, tried to.

I managed to look at a copy of IA1 owned by an old-timer at the local store, so I'm aiming to get some potential Autocannon Turrets for my Chimeras, and try them out to see if they fit. I think it's quite amusing that the longer this army goes on, the more I'm replacing parts with heretical superior custom parts courtesy of the Earth Caste. I think that turret with a barrel on the right side will look pretty cool, for example, but I might just use a GW version from the Heavy Weapons Team or Sentinel kit. I'll buy one and test it out first.

Also going to be selling off a bunch of the models I'm not really using, stuff like the Scions, Bullgryns, and old Chimera which are models I'm not feeling love for and will probably kitbash myself form third party bitz.

Colour test on the new Anvil Industry minis I got. I'm wanting to expand these Scions into a separate Allied force, so I'm going with a different colour scheme. Debating either the one below, for a subtle, night-fighting and urban combat approach, or a Red armour/zandri dust fabrics approach. Guns and such haven't been painted yet, will probably just be Leadbelcher and Balthazar Gold with a bit of detail work.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/temporary-127.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't done much painting lately, I'm afraid. (Saving myself up for the Big Guns challenge!) tongue.png

In the meantime, I was messing with my bitz box and made the below guy to represent a Techpriest. I had some fun with the power backpack, I'll probably keep him around until I get some more suitable third-party bitz to represent him:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20141203_19_06_24_Pro.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20141203_19_06_40_Pro.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20141203_19_07_17_Pro.jpg

My excuse is that there's an anti-grav generator in that backpack and that's final. :P

The scanner is actually just the controls for a Sentinel, which was surprisingly suitable for a scanner with a little snipping. I'm probably not going to give him a cape, he'll be lacking much of the Priest and be more of the Tech, (the final model I'll probably use will become sort of heavily-equipped power armour dude with Melta-cutters and the like for dealing with vehicles, I'll probably give him Meltabombs to represent it.

This was just a fun model to throw together while I sort something proper out. He'll have Technical Drones as his Servitors.

Wow those Anvil guys look great - I was on their website earlier this week debating if I should get them or the other guys (colonial marines or something? From the Afterlife project aswell). May have to get some now!

I'm loving the backpack, although the tech level balance seems off (i.e. I would like to see more cybernetics in the body).

On a related note, and perhaps as a source of inspiration, what sort of situation would produce a tau auxiliary based tech priest, rather than the conventional Omnessiah worshiping one. More importantly, how would that be represented on the person. I tend to agree that there would be little in the form of religious symbols (such as robes) and (s)he would probably be a much more efficiency focused individual.

@Reyner

The models are beautiful, but limited by the heads, body, arms and weapon all being one piece. They look very difficult to effectively convert to be carrying special weapons, but if you're only using them for standard Lasgun Troopers or the like, they're a gorgeous look. The owner of Anvil told me they're looking into special weapon sculpts at some point, but for now they're focusing on the Kickstarter stuff.

@Teetengee

I imagine they'd be Atheistic, and wouldn't be so inclined to replace biological parts with machine ones, more they'd pilot armour or some sort of carrying rig to assist them in their work. The Earth Caste would almost definitely be responsible in training them with a basic working knowledge of Tau technology, as well as how to maintain and repair it. They wouldn't be able to dive right into the ultra-complex forces at work given how uneducated the average human is in the 40K universe, but they'd consider humanity's worth as a supplement to the Earth Caste as well as the Fire Caste, I think. 

I also imagine some more eccentric Earth Caste seniors being seconded to work on collaborative projects to develop better weapons and equipment for their Gue'vesa counterparts, resulting in a merging of technology and ideas, making something not quite alike to either of the mindsets that made it.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice.

I think suspensors in the backpack is a fine explanation, though you could always try some kind of exoskeleton down the outsides of his legs.

I agree with Kierdale,  the idea is really good, but the kit needs to be attached to the wearer better.  Even if it does have suspensors, what's keeping it from floating away when they are turned on?  Adding an Exoskeleton, or even one that just attaches to the wearers waist, would really do the trick.  Of course you could always just add shoulder straps and a waist belt as well.

Archived