His monitor flickered lightly, then ceased to function.  Davon tapped the failed equipment, mumbling to himself, "damned thing finally bought it, I told the shift super it was going to die weeks ago.  Of course the idiot never listens to me..."  The screen came to life, his system speakers began to emit a squelch, then a scream of protest immediately resulting in voices of annoyance from his fellow workers.  

"Shut that thing down Davon!"  His shift lead was trundling towards him, no grace in his step, but a sense of urgency evident on his pale face.  When he reached the station, he jammed the power switch, and then the entire room went pitch dark.  

No light anywhere in the room for several minutes, he began to sweat as a mild bout of claustrophobia began to overtake his psyche.  Irrational he thought to himself, it is just an energy outage, this place is old and it isn't the first time a test of their primary back-up generators wasn't scheduled.  Apparently the generators weren't kicking over as they should have been.  He was sure the station commander was giving the engineer team a severe dressing down.  He closed his eyes, figuring he should catch a few winks.

Then the familiar hum of overhead lights and the chatter of the monitoring systems booting up brought a sigh of exasperation to his lips.

He opened his eyes as the final boot-up sequence was completed, his almost black screen was lit up with the familiar dull green alpha-numerics he had memorized time and time again.

+++boot-up sequence completed+++

+++station D279 primary system link established+++

+++working+++

+++working+++

+++working+++

+++station D279 system ready+++

and then...

+++incoming vox transmission - source unknown, unencrypted, no caveats+++

+++network intrusion detected+++

+++primary firewall failure>secondary firewall failure>tertiary firewall failure>system compromised+++

+++planetary warning system accessed+++

+++transmission playback commencing+++

The facility speakers crackled with activity; a slow, measured breath could be heard on the air.  A voice, sibilant and menacing throughout knifed through the control.

Hail dregs of the Imperium... We extend to you our deepest regrets, our darkest sympathies in what will be your darkest time. Within a standard Terran hour, your lives will forever be changed or if you are fortunate, will cease to exist.  We care not for your silent responses, in its stead we humbly request your cries of terror and if you cannot comply then we shall give you reason to.  Send your pleas for aid and see the failings of your beloved Emperor as he allows you to perish under his gaze...  Ave Dominus Nox...  Death to the False Emperor...

The lights died out suddenly, but this time the emergency system activated, bathing the room in a red hue.  

No one stirred, not a single breath of air left anyone's lips, they all stilled their breathing as though in stasis.  Davon was the first, not because he kept his wits about him, but because he feared for his life.  He leaped from his position and dashed to the emergency console and intended to key in the codes to send an emergency message to the Planetary Defense Forces' Headquarters, but the system was unresponsive.  He glanced upwards at the multiple rows of close captioned security cameras, and what he saw chilled his blood...

8705_10154282021505249_84092925100969258

10474728_10154282021475249_6269772912988

Ahh great, now I'll have to read the Nl/DA story arc too, you've definitely piqued my interest (I'm lagging waaaay too far behind on my hh reading :/ ).

Love the prose, and the models look great from what little we can see!

.....*static*.......

.........++Transm-......call for....*static*++

+Interrogative: Location of transmission?

(.....)

Result...triangulating....achieved. Distress beacon activated for 2.6 Terran standard minutes....

Possible threat....86.53% with allowable deviation.....

...pinging nearby..."Loyalists"...ships.

+ Interrogative:...Loyalists ships?+

++override code thelix beta four-oh-niner gamma++

+Handshake accepted+

+Rerouting First Legion Astartes company: XVth Cataphracts, creed: Spectemur Agendo (judge by deeds, not words)+

++Location of distress beacon?...Result: Thramas Region, Eastern Fringe++

Oh good one depth, I have a few routes to take in regards to your response, will toss one up probably sometime today.

Vazzy, just see if anyone is doing or would be interested especially if they have a Legion that is known to have crossed. Lases with yours! Ultras right? Try looking for a Word Bearer!

Chapter I

"You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family"

-Anon

Statue in The Rounded Galleria, Honored Fighters of the Great Crusade

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/treacyjohn2/246610fc03911783cafb46f68c07c682_zpsbdb5ad32.jpg

Ser Jacques Gerard, Ridemaster of the XVth Cataphracts, 1st Legion Astartes "Dark Angels"

"Forgive me Father for I have sinned"

I heard the adjacent confessional open up as another Brother-Knight came to me for guidance in the coming theater of battle. The world we were headed to now had lost communication with the greater theatre of operations under our Primarch, the Lion.

I rasped through the confessional grill, "What troubles you my son?"

Though I could not see the confessor through the grill and the wafting smoke billowing out of the nearby incense censers, I could almost hear the Brother-Knight's shoulders sag with either relief or disparity. I wasn't inclined to believe that a man under my command, no less an Astartes, would fall prey to the latter than the former. However everyone's faith in the loyalty of those around him had fallen like lightning bolting out of the heavens.

"Padre...I..."

The men of the Cataphracts gave me an epithet that oddly befit my position as Chaplain, despite it's religious correlation. My office was quite ironic as most had realized, especially since the Emperor had cast aside religion, but he must have understood the need for one brother to bear the burden of his legion both mentally and...spiritually, despite again such ironies.

The voice leveled out again and spoke clearly, "Padre. I have my doubts about our next enemy. I have doubts within myself about fighting our own brothers-"

"THEY, are dead to us now!" I harshly castigated him. "YOU must focus on yourself and whom your loyalty and oaths are to! We cannot hesitate or we should all perish together. You must understand this as well as I."

"I do Padre...but I still can't help but feel that this is wrong in some way. We are taught to understand our enemies in order to fight them better and understand their motivation so that we may break it. What if when we find their motivation, we find ourselves lacking?"

I paused.

"Well my son," I had calmed a bit but not without having to rearrange my thoughts at this quandary, "Sometimes we cannot always shoot from the moral high ground as much as we'd like, if that were the case, but these astartes have deserted their oaths in favor of individuality and free will. Both of those were improper concepts as soon as you and I became warriors. Rely in your chain of command, brother, and your duty, and you will never be wrong in your life."

The confessing Brother-knight hesitated...which meant he was going to lie next.

"Thank you Padre, I-"

++ NOW HEAR THIS++

The damnable loudspeakers built throughout the ship cut through the decks as it whined to life. Incense smoke was visibly rustled near where baroque speakers protruded out of the walls and the burning censers flared slightly as if in anger for the disruption of the calming silence of the reclusiam.

++We are coming out of warp transit nearby the sensor ping coordinates that Signal Master Ser Fhajad has provided us with. All hands to stations and Astartes to the embarkation decks for combat drop. This is not a drill. I repeat this is not a drill. All hands to stations....++

I was maddened at the interruption of this vital rite performed before each conflict, however I was more perplexed by the voice itself. It didn't belong to our Ridemaster, Ser Gerard, the head of our company, who always took to the horn to assemble his forces.

"Alright my son, it is time you and I finish and go fight these bastard traitors. Maybe the familiar weight of a bolter and heft of your sword will clear your mind in this coming conflict. Look to the Lion above all as a compass for guidance. I absolve you of your guilt and release you as fit for the battle. For penance, affix a private oath of moment to yourself declaring that you shall purge heresy within and without regardless of the nature of the enemy. Go my brother! Spectemur Agendo!"

I heard the old calibinite wood confessional creak open and the familiar hum of powered armor and heavy footfalls leaving the Reclusiam.

I sat for a bit and pondered on what one of my brothers had said to me. If not for the interruption, I fear I might've grown angry with the borderline blasphemy that came out of his mouth and slewn him on the spot, sanctity or not. Hopefully the confessing Brother-Knight will be sorted out by his Sergeant and put to good use during the conflict. Already some of my brothers within the circles had begun hearing wisps of heresy coming within our own Legion. I could not and would not let this happen.

I rose from my velvet cushion within the confessional and made for the nearest port towards the embarkation decks.

As I was leaving I saw the tail end of the confessor leaving. What I saw shocked me. I caught a glimpse of white that could only be an artificed helmet wing. Could it be-?

No it must not. It can't be.

+Pic-capture #38203 aboard Legion Cruiser embarkation deck+

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/treacyjohn2/6847dd4079673b289e5b47edacfc4bcc_zps8ab6b777.jpg

++Ser Hassim Fhajad, Signal Master of the XVth Cataphracts, would be the one to intercept the pleas of help from the PDF encrypted in a burst transmission packet during the (insert world here) engagement.

An accomplished officer, but little noticed, Ser Fhajad hailed from the Sahladhin Turcs in the Persian Wastes of Terra. The Turcs themselves had come from a long line of highly advanced siege colonies that would attack notable hives in the immediate area when trade was unavailable. Fhajad grew up within the cushy royal courts of the local Suhltan-Warlord, his father, where he learned Linear Quantum Algebra and Triangulation Algorithms at a rapacious rate.

When the Emperor conquered the Persian wastes during the unification wars, he took some of the surviving Turc children under his umbrage to join the first legion astartes. Here, now Brother-Initiate Fhajad found his true calling. As part of the Mechanicum-Emperor pact made, Fhajad was one of the first selected to learn the ways of the mechanicum lords as a tech marine aspirant, however, Fhajad's disposition was more toward that of calculations and precise applications of various ordinance. He was then transferred to the Reductor temple for his new training.

Rising through the ranks of the first legion was problematic for Fhajad due to the paranoia of his brother knights from Greater Europa due to his and his blood cousin's origins. However, Fhajad's cousin, Brother-Knight Ser Alih Karim Bey became the leader of a Terminator Squad and now Ser Fhajad became a Signal Master after years of brutal fighting and attrition.

Ser Fhajad now leads a squad of Volkite armed Brother-Knights and Rapier gun platforms as he is able to maintain their esoteric properties due to his Mechanicum training and is able to guide their lethal beams with precise calculations.++

Chapter I

Among the Shadows

+pict capture ADN-274 - subject: Vaclav, the Master of Signal, IX Company, XXXVII Chapter, VIII Legion+
10442473_10154287158580249_7744892336971

Vaclav, the Master of Signal, a shrewd tactician who would either see the soundness of withdrawal or who would find a way for them to continue on. Word within the Chapter was that Zar-Helek often collaborated with him in the finalization of nearly all battle plans and movements. A specially modified Mark IV suit was his, and is equipped with various tools of his trade; signal blockers, a master vox set ingeniously integrated within his pack and helmet, a unique tactical display of which few in the Legion are privy to, and much more. An array of antennas protrude from his back, giving him access to all possible frequencies. The accuracy that he could call down fire was impressive as well as his ability to shift Company forces in the midst of battle. Vaclav is often at the head of the psychological warfare the Night Lords of "The Shadow Sworn" brought down upon their prey.

"As expected," he whispered to no one in particular, "the distress signal has reached our intended target..."

The XXXVII Chapter was one of several within the VIII Legion tasked with conducting terror actions across the Eastern Fringe, the purpose to capture the attention of the marines of the I Legion, the Dark Angels. The Warmaster did not want the intervention of the Dark Angels to interfere with his invasion of Terra, in fact if one was to say so, he justifiably feared such an occasion.

The IX Company had made planet-fall on the Agri-World, Rowe Primaris, without detection. Their rapid deployment and establishment of a forward operating base was done with the expediency and seamless practice one would expect from trans-humans. It was nearly twelve standard Terran hours before operations were initiated, the baiting via voice transmission; twelve hours since they had butchered an entire border village for use of their facilities as their base of operations. Well nearly an entire settlement, they had left one to live as was standard procedure when conducting terror activities.

Vaclav thought back thirteen hours, back to the dead of night when the IX Company had penetrated the weakly secured perimeter of this sleeping village.

It was quick, quick because the initial movement and assault needed to be as to prevent communication alerting other forces of their arrival. Valcav had jammed all communications and was able to intercept attempts to call for aid. There was little to no resistance, and any that presented itself was quashed quite easily. The local security forces had not the firepower to combat astartes, especially astartes in their strength-enhancing power armor. He remembered capturing a data transmission and blocking it before it could make end contact with its intended recipient. Oh how he laughed silently to himself...

10433076_10154287158340249_8220191513325

The image was taken in a hurry, perhaps by a mortal communications officer. It would have taken some time to decipher the contents of it, if the technology present in this wayward village was indicative of typical means available to the forces on this planet. He remembered filtering the pict and glimpsing the final image the taker had, no doubt before he was struck in two by the hungry teeth of a heavy chainsword. But that was not to be the case...

10426633_10154287158505249_3268847737269

The Master of Signal could not fathom what fear the fleeing mortal felt while being pursued by Za'ral, but it no doubt had been the most disarming moment of his life.

Later in the night, the squads all gathered near what would have been the center of the town, an open dirt space occupied by a single stone well. All lights had been extinguished during the massacre, and so Vaclav and his brothers were all quite comfortable in the pitch black of the planet's night.

"Well done... Do we have a winner of lots?"

"We do," the speaker was none other than Za'ral, "a fast runner, at least in comparison to his fellow sub-humans." He shoved forwarding a grovelling mess, weeping and whimpering as he pressed his head to the ground, pitiful in execution. The stink of fear spilled from his every pore, almost tangible in the air.

Vaclav removed his modified Mk IV helm, peered at the human at his feet, "look around you slave of the Emperor..."

The man's head snapped towards the Master of Signal, but it was evident on his face he trying to determine the origin of the speaker. "Ah, sometimes I forget the failings..." A soft light pulsed from his armor, illuminating the man's face. It was a slight discomfort to Vaclav, but the expression on the face of his captive was a reward in and of itself. "Look around lucky one..."

Banh Pho, twenty years old standard, took in his surroundings. He has just completed basic military instruction for the town militia and had not even been paid for his first two weeks of guard duty when all this happened. His teeth hurt, a side effect of the constant thrum of power armor all around him. The astartes were larger than described to him in stories, three meters tall they were, but in their presence he felt as if he were an insect. They were gruesome, masks of stark white in the mockery of fanged skulls were painted on some of their faces while the armor of some danced with the play of lightning. The dripping of blood could be heard, he turned to his right... A demon stood before him, death mask and all. A pair of heads hung from his waist, tied to it by their long hair, the blood pooled beneath them. A monster of the VIII Legion, the one who captured him, he was sure. He unconsciously relieved himself, the piss soiling his pants and creating a pool of its own.

"L-l-lucky one?" he stammered.

"Yes, quite so... You have won the rights to live, you shall be a messenger in what will be the final days of your backwater planet. The servants of the False Emperor shall know fear as they have yet to experience since the times of Old Night. Your's is a privileged position, you will be known for bringing word of the coming nights of terror..." The towering astartes gestured in an almost mortal-like manner, a movement which spoke of freedom.

He looked beyond his captors, and took in the carnage wrought by these men-made-weapons. Bodies were strewn about, broken into impossible angles. The steam from the heat of their bodies rising in the chill night, not from their mouths, but from the numerous orifices now populating their ruined bodies. He wept... The light went out. He wrestled with his thoughts...

The snap of a button cracked in the dark, then the familiar click of the movement of a las pistol's safety. Finally, the momentary flash as the pistol discharged into the temple of the young guard.

"Hmmmm, not what I expected..." the Master of Signal spoke aloud. He replaced his helmet and began the process of locating the nearest data station, one who could receive their message...

You have some good ideas buddy, I just translated into Nostraman! ;) BTW my Terror Squad is 99% done, I accidentally missed a Gladius on one of th members. Will post more once that squad is done!

+++6 Standard Terran Hours Post Insertion+++

Under the leadership of Commander Gerlach, widely known throughout the Legion as “The Wraith,” IX Company had located and infiltrated a small communications relay station just a handful of kilometers from their initial entry location. The station was poorly guarded, mostly by physical impediments such as coiled razor wire and security check stations; a very unreliable deterrent for any number of astartes.

The plan was to cut the communication links in place, physically conquer the facility and then after reestablishing the link via the Master of Signal upload a message of intent for transmission to all receiving stations. This plan’s intent was to stir the populace of Rowe Primaris into a state of abject fear and to provide a beacon for the dogs of the Imperium to respond to. The planet was an Agri-World, contributing much needed food supplies to a burgeoning Imperial system. Ravaging such a planet would no doubt create a response from their erstwhile brothers from the I Legion, and drawing the forces of The Lion away from Terra was indeed the goal.

Brusvar crashed through the ferrocrete walls, reveling in the horrified look in the eyes of his fleeing prey. Tinted red, he saw their mouths agape, gawking at the horror given form. He was bedecked in the intimidating ceramite of an Adeptus Astartes, plates heaving with the labored breathing of exertion or the anticipation of the kill to come, who could tell? But the results were the same, panic followed, and all but two were cut down by the efficient fire from his volkite charger. Volkites are a short-ranged weapon, but quite efficient once its rays penetrated the outer armor of its target. The effects on flesh are gruesome to say the least, and suited the task at hand quite nicely.

“You decide,” his voice deep and rough with the growl of his throat, “who dies first?” In a fit of human frailty, one of the surviving station personnel thrusts his once-comrade forward onto the floor in a bid to buy himself precious few seconds. He turned to run, after offering up his betrayed companion to the killing machine. Instead, the marine brought down the fleeing member with a shot to the back of the skull; brain matter and pieces of skull showered the room, punctuated by a jet of flame. He then nodded to the survivor, “off with you…” The man took no time to jet to his feet and flee in the opposite direction, “coming your way Persial, take your time with this one…”

“So considerate of you brother, I send my thanks…”

A scream echoed in the adjacent hall, no doubt the one he had just released. Persial was an exceptionally proficient flayer, he could liberate a man’s skin from his body in mere moments, a feat practiced time and time again over the course of numerous terror actions.
“Are we quite done with this?” The voice of their Headmaster, Hess’ker came in on the internal audio system on his squad’s helmets. A chorus of confirmations responded, “Good, then gather at the sent coordinates, we press eastward at ‘The Wraith’s’ command.”

Vaclav, Master of Signal, inserted his highly compact vox transmitter into the stations input interface preparing to send the unencrypted message. At the same time he skillfully penetrated the PDF’s network, bypassing firewalls with little effort and placing his own security barriers into place.

“At your will Commander, the system is ready to receive…”

“Send it…” Gerlach had recorded the message while in transit to the isolated relay station, similar to ones done before, it was something he had done with no aids. He knew his role, and he knew the part the IX Company would play in their bid to lead the Dark Angels on a chase across the Eastern Fringe. He knew the response would be quick seeing as the I Legion was already in system. The IX Company’s Strike Cruiser, The Winged Shadow, lay in wait outside of the planet’s gravitational pull, prepared to provide whatever support called upon by the Company’s Commander.

The entirety of the operation had been completed in scant seconds shy of eleven minutes; the message of intent broadcasted across the entirety of the PDF’s network as well as other government and civilian systems. There was no doubt that when word the VIII Legion had come to Rowe Primaris, the wave of terror to follow would engulf the planet.

As Headmaster Hess’ker cleared remnants of the fence, he could hear the familiar spool of a turbine engine. Switching to “preysight” he could identify the heat signature from the rear end of a Javelin Attack Speeder. Armed with a heavy bolter and a pair of missile launchers, the anti-grav capable vehicle was used in conjunction with other fast attack elements. The rider was conferring with the Master of Signal, no doubt being given specific instructions as to their future route. The XXXVII Chapter used the speeder as a heavier form of recon; it had an undeniable capability for high speeds and is able to destroy lightly armored vehicles or combat infantry when situation dictated. They were typically employed in pairs; he wondered where its counterpart was.

He turned, facing the direction he came, wisps of smoke from slowly burning material and a lingering death cry mingled in the air. He waited and watched as 1st Terror Squad, designation Striga, crossed the clearings, moving to gather at his current location.

+archive pict retrieval 712 - Brusvar 1st Terror Squad+
 10388114_10154295009700249_4756479370399

Brusvar was first, he was always first. There was rarely a moment when his second wasn’t the first to respond. Since he had joined his squad, he had proven himself the consummate warrior, equally proficient in hand to hand and any ranged weapon put into his hand. He spoke little though; no desire to voice his opinion, or perhaps it was just that he agreed with everything in the first place. His combat abilities extended to his understanding of what he called the “human condition.” He knew fear, and the correct application of it. There was no doubt when called upon he would prove to be a skilled squad leader.

+archive pict retrieval 329- Persial 1st Terror Squad+

10441439_10154295010055249_8340499662693

Next was Persial, always alone in his thoughts and in action. He felt no desire to share in the camaraderie of their squad; instead he spent his time honing his flaying skills. It was said he spent much of his spare time in the company of the Primue Medicae, Mircea. Hess’ker knew little of him beyond that, he came to him from 8th Tactical some decades before, and his reason for transfer to the 1st Terror Squad was simply noted as, “having a mind built for and possessing a predisposition for psychological warfare…”

+archive pict retrieval 119- Za'ral 1st Terror Squad+

10250132_10154295010205249_1002903188692

Za’ral; intimidating, unmoving, and utterly devoid of emotion, there was little that captured his attention. He hailed from a penal colony on terra, where he was sentenced to a lifetime of hard labor for the much renowned murder of a hive council member. He was given the choice of servitude to the Emperor as one of his “Angels of Death.” He never viewed his current state as anything less than a chance to murder again, and he did so with a calculated and cold type of logic.

+archive pict retrieval 393- Voral 1st Terror Squad+

10440855_10154295010175249_9053978206713

+archive pict retrieval 710- Malov 1st Terror Squad+

10487321_10154295009995249_3860706785232

Voral and Malov crossed over together, it was obvious they were in conversation or debate with the way their heads turned and nodded. Covered in blood, the two were typically found in each other’s company, reliving memorable moments in their most recent actions. Neither was known for their creativity, instead known for brutality and their love of the chase.  Both had grown together in the outskirts of the hive city, Secondus on Nostramo.  They had known hardship and were hardened towards the effect of death even before being taken into the VIII Legion's fold.  Their violent history only made them the better candidates in a battle for survival during selection.  

+archive pict retrieval 662- Balth'mal 1st Terror Squad+

10460209_10154295009500249_5751157810790

Shouldering a brutally designed heavy chainsword, Balth’mal stalked more than he walked towards the growing group. The teeth and chains of the double-handed weapon were clotted with the tissue and bone fragments of all unfortunate enough to have been in his reach.  He was a true predator, moving towards greatness within the Legion and was often noted for his efficiency in close combat.

+archive pict retrieval 813- Szar 1st Terror Squad+

46177_10154295010085249_6851734931833500

Szar, tried and true as any son of Nostramo could be, he was removed from the heavy support squad due to disagreements with his superior and placed in a tactical squad.  He was eventually reassigned to the Terror Squad after showing impressive battlefield prowess and a passion for controlled carnage.  He had yet to voice disagreement with any of Hess'ker's orders, but only time would tell.

+archive pict retrieval 329- Oror 1st Terror Squad+

10478156_10154295009880249_4902096523666

Moving with a measured pace came Oror, an astartes with an acute level of attention to detail.  He memorized battlefield plans as presented and needed little if any prompting when his time for action came.  His Volkite Charger was often spotless, his application of said weapon, nearly flawless.  

+archive pict retrieval 1019- Drauss 1st Terror Squad+

10371722_10154295009730249_5738837224120

Drauss was the newblood.  His indoctrination into the Legion happened no more than two decades prior.  His rise into the ranks of the esteemed 1st Terror Squad came quickly.  His appointment to the squad from the Recon Squad was the first move of its kind ever in the IX Company, and he was quick to boast of it.  He was quiet in movement, no doubt a result of his training in the scout squads, and as much a nod to his time wandering the hive streets as a loner.  

These were his brothers, his fellow murderers.  Yes murderers, there was no use in hiding the truth of it all.  The ends justified the means, and the death of innocents and the guilty were all a part of their trade.  The 1st Terror Squad, IX Company, XXXVII Chapter, VIII Legion were a weapon of perfect measure.

+archive pict retrieval 017- Headmaster Hess'ker 1st Terror Squad+

1908040_10154295009855249_59403310108182

Archived