[HH1.0] Imperial Fists Tactics

Slips

I have no money or time for a Venator really. Like I say after my event, I will grab a couple medusas and a Venator and crack on, but until then I have to make do.

Also with no model for Dorn I am loath to kitbash one, so I will be waiting a few years for him.

Hey guys,

One list idea I've been mulling over for some time now is an Imperial Fists Armoured Breakthrough. I'm pretty happy with it so far except for one thing: I'm at 2555 points, so I need to shave 55 off! However I have absolutely no idea where I should trim some fat. Here's what I have so far:

HQ - Delegatus - Tartaros, Storm Shield, MC Thunder Hammer, Armoured Breakthrough

TR - Predators x2 - Heavy Bolter Sponsons

TR - Predators x2 - Heavy Bolter Sponsons

EL - Sicaran Battle Tank - Lascannons

EL - Terminators x5 - Tartaros, Storm Shields, 3x Power Fists, 1x Chainfist, Sgt with TH

DT - Spartan - Dozer Blade, Ceramite, Flare Shield

HS - Leviathan - Drop Pod, Ceramite, Melta Lance

HS - Sicaran Venator

HS - Vindicator - LDA

LOW - Fellblade - Ceramite

Total: 2555

I've had to reduce the upgrades on quite a few things. I really wanted the Siege Drill on the Leviathan and a Space Marine crew for the Fellblade. I also originally had a Chaplain in Tartaros to go with the Terminators and Delegatus but cut him out to fit the Fellblade in. Where should I drop some points? I could change the Venator to another Vindicator, but it just seems so useful for shutting down an opposing SH tank so my Fellblade can reign supreme.

I also feel like taking the sponsons off the Predators would make them pointless. At the moment they're my primary anti-infantry.

Thoughts?

You might have to drop the Vindicator, methinks. Doing that will give you an extra 75 points to spend, which can pay for a bunch of stuff.

I'm thinking dozer blades on all the remaining tanks (30), Phosphex discharger & siege drill on the Leviathan (30), and Legion Crew on the Fellblade (15).

Have a Chillax game this saturday vs a Friend who's starting up his Word Bearers. He'll be running a Sacrificial Offering list but I dont know what he'll include exactly.

I initially wanted to run a Bunch of Moritats and Destroyers at 2.5k since that would be cool but it just so points dense that it makes me cringe. I'll work a bit more on the idea...might actually give me a reason to bring my 10 man Culverin Squad...

Here's what I'm tentatively bringing as of right now:

+++ IF vs WB and Meatshields (2500pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (2500pts) ++

+ HQ (230pts) +

Sigismund (230pts)

+ Troops (1010pts) +

Templar Brethren (615pts) [Legion Vexilla, Melta Bombs, 9x Templar Brethren]
··Chapter Champion [solarite Power Gauntlet]
··Land Raider Phobos [Armoured Ceramite]

Templar Brethren (395pts) [9x Combat Shield, Legion Vexilla, Melta Bombs, 9x Templar Brethren]
··Chapter Champion [Combat Shield, Solarite Power Gauntlet]

+ Elites (620pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (310pts) [2x Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Sniper]
··Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (310pts) [2x Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Sniper]
··Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

+ Heavy Support (640pts) +

Achilles-Alpha Pattern Land Raider (300pts)

Legion Spartan Assault Tank (340pts) [Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Loyalist, VII: Imperial Fists]

Aight, so Here's Take 2 or Variation #2

+++ IF vs WB and Meashields 2.0 - Maximum Hate (2500pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (2500pts) ++

+ HQ (310pts) +

Alexis Polux (165pts)
··Master of the Legion [Hammerfall Strike Force]

Legion Centurion (145pts) [Artificer Armour, Jump Pack, Refractor Field, Volkite Serpenta, Volkite Serpenta]
··Consul [Moritat]

+ Troops (800pts) +

Phalanx Warder Squad (400pts) [Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-vox, 9x Phalanx Warder, 2x Plasma gun, 4x Power Axe, Teleportation Transponder]
··Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Thunder Hammer]

Phalanx Warder Squad (400pts) [Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-vox, 9x Phalanx Warder, 2x Plasma gun, 4x Power Axe, Teleportation Transponder]
··Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Thunder Hammer]

+ Elites (645pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (235pts)
··Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Power Sword, Teleportation Transponder]
··Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Power Sword, Teleportation Transponder]
··Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Power Sword, Teleportation Transponder]

Legion Destroyer Squad (410pts) [Jump Packs, 9x Legion Destroyer Space Marine, 2x Missile Launcher with Suspensor Web and Rad Missiles Only]
··Legion Destroyer Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Phosphex Bombs, Power Fist]

+ Fast Attack (380pts) +

Legion Seeker Squad (380pts) [9x Combi-weapon, 9x Legion Seeker Space Marines, Nuncio-Vox, Teleportation Transponder]
··Legion Strike Leader [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs]

+ Heavy Support (365pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (365pts) [9x Legion Space Marines, Teleportation Transponder, Volkite Culverin]
··Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Loyalist, VII: Imperial Fists]

It's heavily reserves dependant but it does means I get to go where I need to rapidly.

Starting on the board in 99% of the cases would be the HSS Squad and the Destroyers + Moritat (to make use of Scout) however, Polux does give me the option of Redeploying a single unit in the army before the game starts. I also have some flexibility in starting on the table or not which is nice and can come in useful depending on the mission or deployment we roll up.

I pretty much 100% avoided vehicles since unless I can outflank them or they had Fast, them being forced into reserves was not ideal.

Apothecaries will join the HSS and Warders. The Third one doesn't have an augury scanner due to the HSS Sarge Having one already.

This is pretty much a shooty army without much of an assault element, something that I usually dont run.

I might just bring Both Lists with me and talk to him about what I'm bringing and see if he'd have any preference or whatever. Hell, if we play fast enough I might be able to use both lists in a single day.
Edited by Slipstreams

Hi there filthy loyalists!

A friend of mine has decided to get into 30k and has gone for IF and he is asking me (a SoH player) a lot of questions that I don't know how to anwser, so I though that I could pass them through here and by the way learn something of my opponent;-)

He has bought the Betrayal at Calth box and is going to build a list around the IF RoW, so he is going to convert from the box two units of breachers and one of phalax warders. The problem he has is that he thinks that it will be too slow and he will never charge nor rapid fire anything.

Because of this he doesn't know if to run his cataphractii (which he is converting into a comand squad) and his praetor with storm shields for the +1T and the 3++ or with combi bolters so that he will be able to shoot and won't be stuck with a close combat unit that can't even run.

He has the same problem with his warders, as even though the axes look cool, he looses range and they are a big point investment.

So what do you think? Is the list viable or should he take a totally different thing? Also, what consul fits it better?

Edited by The Traitor

So. Just got back from that game.

I lost.

Pretty much 100% due to the Mission and Deployment. Deployment was Ambush (36" Defender Deployment Circle in the Middle of the Table, Attacker gets 12" on the left and Right short edges).

Mission was:

• Attacker Gets 1 point per unit in the Defenders Deployment Zone Per Turn.
  • Defender gets 2 Points per Attacker Unit killed.
  • +1 Point per Character Slain in a Challenge.
  • +1 Point per unit Swept.

He had:

• Diabolist
  • Chaplain
  • Praetor
  • 3x 20 Man Tac Squad with Extra CCW.
  • 3 Apothecaries
  • Planetary Overlord
  • 2x 2 Man Grenadier Squad
  • 1x 3 Medicae
  • 1x 2 Leman Russ Vanquishers.

So roughly 100 Bodies to my Polux List Above.

We were playing on a Super Terrain Dense Board (it was set up for Infinity) and I was using my Polux List Above.

He had Rolled -1 to My Reserves for Warlord Trait. So that was big.

+++

I seized and had Deployed my Moritat and Destroyers (Who got a 12" Scout thanks to Jump Packs) and 1 Phalanx Warder Squad (I didnt want to take a chance at the Destroyers getting wiped).

This Squad was pretty much the only effective one in my Army having Swept the 2 Grenadier Squads over 2 Turns and killing the Remaining Leman Russ.

The Culverins, thanks to a Nuncio-vox, no-scatter Deep Struck onto the top of a building with Perfect LoS to the Center of the Board and rear armor to the Leman Russ' and subsequently killed 1 and Weapon Destroyed the lascannon on the 2nd with Snapshots. S6 Tank Hunter vs Av10 yo.

My Warders and Polux pretty much Deepstruck (or walked) and got shot and chopped to pieces by 1 20 man tac Squad Each who walked onto the table behind them (since his edges were the longs) and didn't do much more than that.

Seekers did decent damage to the 3rd 20man Blob joined by the Chaplain but a lot of their damage was mitigated by the near-omnipresent 4+ Cover of the table (it was that dense) from their Combi-Plasmas. And Scorpius Bolt Snap Fires was meh but it did kill their 2+ Sarge with a Rend.

He made an insane amount of Feel No Pain rolls, to be fair.

By turn 3, it was 6 Points (me) to 0 (him) but, since he killed my Destroyer and Moritat Remnants on his T4 and Polux and his 3 Warders on my T4 and the Seekers on T4 too (Sweeping the Seekers), he got a decent Swing:

• +2 Per Unit Killed.
  • +1 Per Unit Swept
  • +1 Per Character Killed in a Challenge (Moritat, Seeker Sarge, Warder Sergeant)

So it was suddenly 6 - 10 for him at the end of T4.

T5 Saw my remaining Phalanx Warder Squad get swept for +3 Points.

He could literally not reach my Culverins and could only plink away at them with Bolters. But I called it there since I had no more units in his DZ to score points.

I will mention that the Moritat never actually got to Chainfire all game since it was better to shoot twice and charge.

+++

So yeah, Should have Deepstruck the 2nd Warder Squad instead of Walking them, tbh. But I was simply too heavily outnumbered for it to have Mattered Much.

If I had brought my Sigismund List as Posted Previously, I would have had a much bigger advantage especially in terms of Combat and Sweeping what with the Templars making up for a lack of bodies with pure killing potential as well as having Vehicular Protection from any small arms fire.

Also didnt help that the Seekers only dropped in on T4 Automatically since I couldn't roll a 4+ for Reserves.

Being Outnumbered ~2:1 really didnt help either.

I still maintain that Hammerfall is pretty mediocre in terms of a RoW and you do want to make the most of it, you want reserve Manipulation...which is mostly found in the LR Proteus, Damocles Command Rhino or a Comms Relay....but you can't have any Fortifications and Vehicles are Forced into reserves. Yay.

I'll pretty much stick to Templar without a RoW with Siggy, Potl or Primarchs Chosen since these have been the only real performers for me.

+++

Hi there filthy loyalists!
A friend of mine has decided to get into 30k and has gone for IF and he is asking me (a SoH player) a lot of questions that I don't know how to anwser, so I though that I could pass them through here and by the way learn something of my opponent;-)
He has bought the Betrayal at Calth box and is going to build a list around the IF RoW, so he is going to convert from the box two units of breachers and one of phalax warders. The problem he has is that he thinks that it will be too slow and he will never charge nor rapid fire anything.
Because of this he doesn't know if to run his cataphractii (which he is converting into a comand squad) and his praetor with storm shields for the +1T and the 3++ or with combi bolters so that he will be able to shoot and won't be stuck with a close combat unit that can't even run.
He has the same problem with his warders, as even though the axes look cool, he looses range and they are a big point investment.
So what do you think? Is the list viable or should he take a totally different thing? Also, what consul fits it better?

I hope he knows that B@C is, at best, Used to fill out the core of a list and making a complete army from one usually leads to pretty meh (imo) performance since you're pretty much stuck with a Footslogging Force.

Stone Gauntlet can be good but it better used as a Gunline Army. Hammerfall is decidedly meh since it works against itself.

If you want to run IF Cataphractii, running them as Deepstriking Combi-Weapons is probably the best bet due to Teleportation Transponders. 5 Combi-Plasmas and Power Fists/Axes makes for a decent punch on the Drop with some CC Kill. 2+/4++ makes them resilient but if you want Combat Terminators, you want Tartaros with Shields for 2+/3++ since those suits can Sweep.

Warders you want to run in an Assault Vehicle if you give them Axes because otherwise, give them Plasma Guns, keep the Bolters and stick them in a Gunline. My warders are 4 Axes, Sarge with Thunderhammer, 2 Plasma Guns and they're an Ok, if expensive, jack of all trades unit. Better used in ZM Games.

If he wants an Aggressive Force, Sniper Tac Vets, Templar, Storm Shield Tartaros and Deepstriking Combi Cataphractii will do much better than Breachers and Warders.

Edited by Slipstreams

Just played two games tonight too. One against a Knigbt House and got tabled by turn 2.

Second game was an Erebus themed Word Bearers list with 15 Ashen circle, 10 Gal Vorbak and 2 Mara Ghal.

I lost again. He was insanely lucky with two HCB Contemptors that destroyed my Vindi Squadron, Spartan and Lan Raider turn 1. Sigismund is a pro murderer. And Polux is still cool.

I have to play Polix and Sigismund together for my event on Sunday. But after that I will be dropping one as inevitably one becomes useless By just holding an objective.

Need more non Armour units.

TBH, for general purpose lists, all I need right now is 3-6 Quad Mortars.

At which point a Siege Breaker becomes a staple of my lists, with or without a jump pack so that he can hop in and around terrain to spot with his Nuncio-vox.

...And Dreadnought Drop Pods. I need at least 6....and 3 Dreadclaws maybe.

But otherwise, I can make what I've currently got work and work quite well at that.

+++

The fact that he hit so many of your vehicles with 2 5" Templates is pretty surprising, tbh O_o

Edited by Slipstreams

The Phosphex shells are just a bit too good at clearing infantry to pass up. Sure, it costs a Siege Breaker and a further +20 per Rapier so its not OMGIMBA but when faced with Toughness Values? Hard to say no to.

And its not like a Siege Breaker isn't a Normal thing for IF to have either.