There's a possibility here that we might be over-playing the 'fire' theme and forgetting the other Redemptionist influences. I could see there being some sort of prayer or ritual speaking of ignition and each astartes 'burning bright' but I think the actual process of implantation would be referred to in a slightly more (traditionally) religious sense, like being reborn or something. "Rising from the ashes" without the overt phoenix allusions, maybe.

Goodness gracious, much has happened while I've been absent! Hail brothers, I return! And for real this time, things have finally died down and I will finally be able to actually be an active participant again!

Goodness gracious, much has happened while I've been absent! Hail brothers, I return! And for real this time, things have finally died down and I will finally be able to actually be an active participant again!

Brother! *clasps your forearm in a warrior's handshake* Welcome back! Your presence has been sorely missed. :)

So what is going on? Is the cluster coming to a close as we draw closer to the end of the EWC? Have the Eagles claimed everything as their own? Surely Libertas is the center of the cluster by now! ;)

So what is going on? Is the cluster coming to a close as we draw closer to the end of the EWC? Have the Eagles claimed everything as their own? Surely Libertas is the center of the cluster by now! :wink:

We've (finally) finished all three waves for the EWC - it only took us two years! - and Ace is writing up the final battle where the Sereiki Lions are ousted from their Den and flee for the Deeps. On top of that, I'm making an EWC Conclusion to summarise the crusade and will be crafting a content summary for the next thread. Lord Thorn has been making shoulder pads for the astartes forces in the Cluster, so checking yours out and providing feedback would be a good idea.

If you're interested, here is the Eagles of Glory's third wave battle.

Top notch stuff the both of them are. A suitably propagandist victory for the Eagles and superb should pad works, my dreams were made real without me present! I eagerly await the final tale of this segment of the clusters history. It's been a journey, lots of twist and turns and plenty of Libertasian pride from me on this project though I have been absent for awhile

Rest easy brother, this thread may end soon, but the tale of the Cluster shall not! The Liber Cluster 2.0 will emerge from it's predecessor's ashes, better, brighter, and way, way more organised! :biggrin.:

++Quote from a trading/advertising post removed++

We've (finally) finished all three waves for the EWC - it only took us two years! - and Ace is writing up the final battle where the Sereiki Lions are ousted from their Den and flee for the Deeps. On top of that, I'm making an EWC Conclusion to summarise the crusade and will be crafting a content summary for the next thread. Lord Thorn has been making shoulder pads for the astartes forces in the Cluster, so checking yours out and providing feedback would be a good idea.

Quick update on that, in case anyone's wondering what's taking me so long. :sweat: 

I'm roughly 1,000 words into writing it so far and it's proving to be tough going, since I'm trying to share the spotlight between so many Chapters and make sure the Sereiki Lions are presented as a credible, believable threat beyond just throwing numbers at the problem.

But there's two quick points I could use help with, for the Liber at large to answer:

Firstly, does anyone know who the Chapter Master of the Lords Inviolate at the time of the EWC was?

If we haven't already mentioned him, can anyone think of a suitably awesome name for the man who's about to lead the largest-scale battle in the Cluster to-date?

And secondly:

I'm stuck on the Iron Ravagers - I don't know what their typical combat doctrine is, so I don't know what, if anything, their battlefield speciality is. (For the last battle I pretty much just relied on the fact the world they were battling on was highly atypical and tried to just wing it. :sweat:)

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the Ravagers should do battle?

Chaplain Oxidus surveyed the group of supplicants, pleased with what he saw. Each of them bloody and exhausted, each of them a killer of men. The tallest one, who came up to his elbow, was still bleeding badly from his duel. Beneath his skull-helm, Oxidus allowed his lips to curl into something resembling a smile. He recalled his time in the proving grounds, remembering the faces of those he killed and those he would end up calling brother.

It had been a particularly bloody event this time, whittling the prospective Conflagrators down from several hundred to merely forty. Well, thirty-nine. One of the winners had already expired. It may very well end up being thirty-eight soon but the Chaplain cared not. If the boy lived, he would deserve his chance. It was not unusual for a crop to lose a few more bodies even after the combat-trials had ended. Oxidus continued to look over the group, watching for weakness. He looked upon them with a sneer.

"Well done Kindling. You have survived, and the best of you thrived. Do not take this as a guarantee that you will become one of us, you have merely proved that you can kill. I expect half of you to fail what is to come, if not more." The Chaplain moved to the half-dead boy, prodding his slick wound. The boy grimaced and grunted in pain, although he stayed standing. "You will have to be strong in body, in mind and in soul."

Oxidus removed his helm, revealing a hawkish visage marred with bionics and smeared grey with ash. He regarded them with an unwavering stare from his single crimson eye.

sml_gallery_60566_6038_32584.jpg

"You now, more than ever, belong to the Emperor. You may have revered him before, but now you are his chosen. You will die before you dishonour him." Oxidus beckoned over some Chapter serfs, led by an irascible man of middle-years. "Take them away." Was all the Chaplain had said, the serfs knew what to do. Two of them lifted the injured lad and hauled him away by his armpits.

Oxidus looked back over the combat grounds and the dead. Blood and bowels covered much of the area, silent with the exception of the crackle of flames. The Chaplain exited through the grand arch that served as both entrance and exit, confident that the serfs cleaning up would burn the corpses and strip any useful clothing for themselves.

@ Ace Debonair: How about... Janus Aetius? For a Chapter known for playing politician the name of the two-faced God of transitions, of the past and future seems fitting. Aetius is derived from the Greek "aetos", or "eagle", and a famous bearer was the Roman General Flavius Aetius, who defeated Attila the Hun at the Battle of Chalons.

Quick update on that, in case anyone's wondering what's taking me so long. :sweat:

I'm roughly 1,000 words into writing it so far and it's proving to be tough going, since I'm trying to share the spotlight between so many Chapters and make sure the Sereiki Lions are presented as a credible, believable threat beyond just throwing numbers at the problem.

If you need a hand, brother, feel free to PM me. I'd be only too happy to pitch in.

And secondly:

I'm stuck on the Iron Ravagers - I don't know what their typical combat doctrine is, so I don't know what, if anything, their battlefield speciality is. (For the last battle I pretty much just relied on the fact the world they were battling on was highly atypical and tried to just wing it. :sweat:)

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the Ravagers should do battle?

I used the Ravagers in the second wave as an armoured force for a part of the writing. Seeing as much of that armour was destroyed, I can't recommend utilising more tanks. Apart from that, I'm not sure. The original post does make mention of "extensive use of dreadnought armour", though. Maybe make a first company strike?

I used the Ravagers in the second wave as an armoured force for a part of the writing. Seeing as much of that armour was destroyed, I can't recommend utilising more tanks. Apart from that, I'm not sure. The original post does make mention of "extensive use of dreadnought armour", though. Maybe make a first company strike?

@Olis - Is that Dreadnought Armour as in Tactical Dreadnought Armour (Terminator Armour)or have the Steel Ravagers been reduced to a force of Dreadnoughts and Techmarines/Iron Fathers?

@ Ace Debonair: How about... Janus Aetius? For a Chapter known for playing politician the name of the two-faced God of transitions, of the past and future seems fitting. Aetius is derived from the Greek "aetos", or "eagle", and a famous bearer was the Roman General Flavius Aetius, who defeated Attila the Hun at the Battle of Chalons.

Nice.

Chapter Master Janus Aetius it is! :biggrin.:

@Olis - Is that Dreadnought Armour as in Tactical Dreadnought Armour (Terminator Armour)or have the Steel Ravagers been reduced to a force of Dreadnoughts and Techmarines/Iron Fathers?

Ah, I was going to go with tanks if nobody had any feedback to give.

But Dreadnoughts and Terminators is going to work out just fine. :biggrin.:

It's probably going to take a few days to write up properly (I'm suddenly more busy than I'd hoped) but I'll crack on with the battle next chance I get. :happy.:

*sigh*

Looks like I've found another oddity. The second battle for Evin Prime - long talked of and subject to big plans by several members - never actually got written up. This vast second attempt at decapitating Lion leadership in the Eighteen Worlds (the very same world where the Sons of Calderon failed and fell) just never occurred. So, I'm left with a battle that is all but a skeleton of an event. 

Welp, I need an excuse to kill Sauvius. Might as well be this. :rolleyes:

*sigh*

Looks like I've found another oddity. The second battle for Evin Prime - long talked of and subject to big plans by several members - never actually got written up. This vast second attempt at decapitating Lion leadership in the Eighteen Worlds (the very same world where the Sons of Calderon failed and fell) just never occurred. So, I'm left with a battle that is all but a skeleton of an event.

Welp, I need an excuse to kill Sauvius. Might as well be this. :rolleyes:

Didn't I write a battle report where the Black Judges wrecked the planet so badly that subduing the panicking rioting populace who were killing each other other their sins cost more Imperial lives than the first invasion? I swear I remember writing that battle report.

Didn't I write a battle report where the Black Judges wrecked the planet so badly that subduing the panicking rioting populace who were killing each other other their sins cost more Imperial lives than the first invasion? I swear I remember writing that battle report.

Hmm. I'll have a look. Bear with me.

Edit - Nope. Can't find it with the search function. I found a couple of posts of you putting down initial ideas and thoughts but there's no actual battle report.

Can anyone find it? I'm having trouble finding the report myself after multiple searches ("evin", "judges", "letum" and one or two others).

Found it! Page 84:

THE JUDGEMENT OF EWIN PRIME

Our brother Chapters seek to hold ground and claim worlds for the Emperor, but our duty is of a purer sort. Our victories and defeats are weighed in the hearts and minds of men.

-The Book of the Law, author unknown

Death came twice to the bastion capital of the ibn-Khroda. The first time it came with the thunder of a million guns and stomping of a billion boots. This death, a death of cold iron and brute force, was tricked, trapped, turned back by crafty hunters who bled the lumbering Imperial behemoth until it fell. The second time, Death came as silent as a shadow and as cunning as a thief in the night.

It began in the darkness, with crude atomics hurled at Ewin's night side- not aimed at the factories and hive fortresses the initial assault had prioritized, but at the land itself. The bombardment hurled ash and dust into the sky, shrouding the Lions den in a burning, choking twilight and strangling communications.

Patrol corvettes and frigates ripped through the night above...but this time, Death was a hunter even more crafty than they were. No enemy vessels powered up to face the fleet in the darkness above the world...and those in the darkness below soon discovered nuclear fire was the least of the horrors that had fallen upon their planet.

I never asked for this. The Guard would have executed...they said I deserved...I deserved that. Not this. No one deserves this.- excerpt from interrogation of prisoner JH456, allegedly one of the "Grizzly" enforcer champions

The attacks began almost immediately. Lone sentries and isolated patrols were butchered. Detachments were overrun and slaughtered. The survivors raved of packs of pale, feral things the size of children, draped in ragged black cloaks and bearing makeshift scrap blades. They spoke of black gods herding their ghoulish charges. Of devils who left no corpses no matter how much las fire or artillery was poured on them. Not the Kodiaks, the Mastodons, or even the elite Hyenas could come to grips with this threat, which seemed to strike and slaughter almost at random, and took as much glee in carving apart the underhive tribals who were press ganged into Ewin's factories as they did hunting packs of Cheetahs and Jaguars. Even the Pride were stymied, their usual methods of out maneuvering a foe falling short against an enemy that never took a fixed position, never sought to face them in open battle.

Whispers spread, among the downtrodden populace and the Coyote auxiliaries alike. This was no purposeless rampage. This was punishment. Retribution, for their sins.

The Lions immediately moved to stamp out these mutterings, cracking down on those who spread them with an iron hand...and then the executioners who enforced the edict were themselves slain, the messages cut into their skin and their bodies hung high for all to see.

Repent. Atone. Turn from your wicked ways or share this fate

Within months of the initial atomic bombardment, the riots had begun. Men, women, and children flung themselves to certain death under the guns and blades of the Lions rather than face the horrors that prowled among them unseen.

Disorder became all out civil war as the mercenaries and gangers conscripted into the Lions ranks threw in with the mad, tattooing the sins into they had committed on their chests and faces and screaming for forgiveness as they turned on their trainers.

When the Lords Inviolate finally returned at the head of a task force, Ewin had become a hell world to match any within the Eye Terror itself. The Lions fleet in system bombarded their own planet almost daily to keep the deranged inhabitants from overrunning their remaining planetary outposts, while the rebels turned on one another, punishing the sins of one another as harshly as they did the those of the Lions.

Imperial tacticians estimated the uprising on Ewin Prime caused more damage and loss of life than the Seikiri conquest and the initial Imperial assault combined, and rendered any hope of discovering the fate of the Sons of Calderon and the others who had remained behind pathetic comedy.

Alright, I've run out of names again. :pinch:

Does anyone have any suggestions for the names of the following:

The Black Falcons Captain of the 6th Company

The Angels Exultant Chaplain of the 2nd Company

The Iron Ravagers Captain of the 1st Company

A Scarlet Sentinels Veteran Sergeant of the 1st Company

A Blades of the Lion Chaplain (I haven't picked a specific company for these guys yet, oddly)

Archived