How to: winning with CSM in 7th

Zhukov

Maelstrom is great for chaos, especially the assaulty armies and deadlock. It forces the enemy to have a greater footprint/move towards you and encourages you to do the same to them. Except since you are almost always more assaulty than they are, this is definitely to your advantage.

I didn't end up getting to play anyone over the weekend; both of my opponents cancelled last minute.  Next week is a 1250-point tournament.  I am thinking of running the following list, which is a variation off of a Khorne-themed list I've been running a lot lately (as I've commented previously in this thread and other threads). 

HQ1  Chaos Lord, Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut of Khorne, Axe of Blind Fury, Sigil of Corruption [170]

T1:  Khorne Berzerkers x 8 [162]

T2:  Khorne Berzerkers x 7 [143]

FA1:  Chaos Bikers x 6, Mark of Khorne, Icon of Wrath, Melta-Gun, Melta-Bombs [177]

HS1:  Chaos Land Raider with Dirge Caster [235]

HS2:  Chaos Land Raider with Dirge Caster [235]

HS3:  Maulerfiend [125]

Total:  1247

As I've mentioned before, I don't particularly like low-point, small-army games like this (I much prefer, and most of my games are played at, the 2500+ point level), but I want to play in this tournament anyway.  So what do y'all think?  I'd appreciate any comments, thoughts, insight, jokes, or gossip.

v/r

--Vorenus

Two Land Raiders at 1250 is nasty, and amusing. If they have something to deal with Land Raiders you've got a glass cannon. If you can screen the Maulerfiend with the Land Raiders as it won't be impeded by them if they are immobilized. Just remember to be aggressive and bottle the other side, and when in doubt: BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.

Good points.  Thank you both, gentlemen.  Incinerator950:  Do you think it would be worth dropping the Melta-Gun off of the Bike Squad to add the Dozer Blades?  (I'm reluctant to drop the Dirge Casters as I am leery of multiple-Overwatch from Tau's Supporting Fire rule.)

I forgot to mention that the tournament won't allow Lords of War.  Not that I would take one at this point level anyway, but it means I know I won't have to deal with any Imperial Knights. 

Ugh, rulespack for the GT just came out. It's 1500 points and the missions are so versatile I don't see how I can play it somewhat decent with Chaos. I really want to go with a different army, but I also really want to go with Chaos. I guess it would be interesting to see how I would do with Chaos, even though it sucks lol.

Basicly, everything is allowed and everything is important: Speed, resilience, scoring, kill-points etc. Unbound is allowed as well, which complicates stuff, although I don't expect to see much Unbound, because the missions definitely favour having OS troops.

Rush list wont do any good, 1500 points severly limits options and I don't feel like it can actually win the missions.

Not sure yet if I will take Chaos or not, but if I do, I'm going towards something like this:

Sorcerer; Balestar, Bike, Aura, meltabomb 175
10 Cultists 50
10 Cultists 50
5 Spawn; MoN 180
3 Oblits; MoN 228
Obliterator; MoN 76
Obliterator; MoN 76
Lord of Change; lvl 3, 2x greater, lesser 305
20 Daemonettes 180
20 Plaguebearers 180
Total: 1500

It's actually surprisingly close to the type of list I played in 6th, just without Heldrakes and with Oblits instead. Also 350 points less compared to 1850, which means Be'lakor is gone. It kinda makes sense as the game hasn't changed thát much and tournaments back then already had diverse missions as well. The big Daemon troop units just help out a lot by taking objectives. Lord of Change is pretty versatile and what he does depends a lot on the powers and gifts he rolled. Hey, I killed an Imperial Knight with him in 1 round of combat before! (armourbane and re-roll to hit with a S8 staff can do that heh)

Seen the rules. Bit hardcore for older armies. But if tournaments [besides being tests of skill and uberness] are a tool to boost local sales, they do seem to work for the new armies[well the non orcs at least].

I personaly would like to see a utility unit or another low lvl sorc. maybe the netts and plaguies to 14-16, but points are still tight. confused.gif

Archived