Krom Dragongaze Rules

CatSmasher

Oh.... no....

Probably one of my biggest fears for the new SW book was that Sagas would just become our Random Warlord Traits.  Oh dear.

How can we "forge a narrative" when that narrative randomly changes at the beginning of each game?

I am half surprised he doesn't have a wolf tooth necklace, so he stands a chance of hitting things which are as skillful as him or better considering he is this bad-ass who can outfight anyone.

And if it ends up as Sagas being warlord traits. I just won't use the stupid random warlord traits. Nothing says I have to use them. 

To put a positive spin on the rumours about grey hunters...

It would actually be a blessing in disguise for grey hunters to be toned down relative to the rest of the codex, especially blood claws. It'd be good for internal balance and good for those of us who like to paint a wide variety of models msn-wink.gif

BUT i'd rather grey hunters retain (perhaps as a 1 pt upgrade) their ccw or 'ubergrit' equivalent. I really liked their playstyle and counterattack notwithstanding they sound like they may end up as pretty much just a tactical squad. It would change the way I play them quite a lot, I think. I wouldn't be in nearly as much of a hurry to get in rapid fire range, for instance msn-wink.gif

I'm putting a lot of hope into us having an optional upgrade giving grey hunters true grit, relentless or an extra ccw ala carcharodons.

Huh. Krom is... cheap. Still very poorly geared out, but even with a 10-point drop (SM captains are 90 points, right) to Wolf Lord pricing and 5-point drops to each piece of wargear he carries, he's still 10 points cheaper than he would be as a generic character.

As for sagas as warlord traits...

*headdesk* GW... RANDOMNESS IS THE OPPOSITE OF FORGE YOUR NARRATIVE!

I'll just hold out hope that the Sagas aren't necessarily random, like the Warlord Traits are.  In a way, it makes sense that we wouldn't get access to both, as having both a nice Saga and a nice Warlord trait could provide an excessive advantage over an opponent.  What I'm not a fan of is the relative weakness of this new version of Warriorborn; it's rather meh.  Also, it makes me wonder now if our other supporting characters, like our Priests, can still buy/get Sagas, if they're not the Warlord for the army.  

In fairness, for his price point, Krom is a decent character.  He still gets 6 Attacks in the first round of combat, whether he's charging, or being charged, and if charging those attacks are all at Strength 7.  He gets to reroll one 'To Hit' attempt, so it's really like he has 7 Attacks (assuming at least one would miss).  He really is a decent, cheap Wolf Lord, but will need to be selective in his fights, and stay with a unit.  He isn't a great character, though, and I'm hoping the designers do much, much, better with Ragnar, Logan, Njal, Ulrik, and Arjak, et al.  

V

I wouldn't mind the sagas switching to warlord traits that much. Really my wolflord has had his share of games where he fought like he had beastslayer, or warrior instead of bear. So I don't mind the ideal of stories being told to the new members of the company that reflect different attributes of what make him a bad ass.

Is it verified that Blood Claws have lost Headstrong?  If so, that is a very welcome change, as they can reliably run own their own now, and no requirement for an excessively expensive babysitter, especially in the case of Swift and Sky Claws.

V

warrior born could be really good on the right character: someone who is already killer in challenges. If there's a relic that gives ap2 @ initiative, for instance, warrior born would be stellar in conjunction with it. That's quite a big if, but it could happen.

Is it verified that Blood Claws have lost Headstrong? If so, that is a very welcome change, as they can reliably run own their own now, and no requirement for an excessively expensive babysitter, especially in the case of Swift and Sky Claws.

V

I'm pretty sure there's no room for headstrong in the dataslate. And it's kind of an artifact of 5th edition anyway.

Are Egil and Hengist characters? Can they be challenged?

Yep. They are stated as Infantry (Character) 1 (Unique)

So is Beoric

Dewi, is the Ld any better for those pack leader character guys, or is it just the extra attack and designation of character status?

Does Beoric get an extra attack, too (ie 3), or is he the same as the other Wolf Guard?

No added LD value for the pack leaders. 

Beoric is the same value as the other WG in his pack. 

Having read though the campaign booklet I would stress that we don't go drawing any comparisons with the rules that we find here, and the rules that we may see in a later codex.  It is evident to me that this box set is supposed to be a completely standalone item, and is in no way is another publication needed to play (SRB is in the box). 

I must say the booklet is very nice and full of fluff.  I can grantee you now that we will see a third part to the campaign that will include Ragnar's company. 

I'm more than willing to post up pictures from the book as long as the Mods are happy. 

The only thing that I would like GW to give us clarification on is the load out of Iron Axe's grey hunter pack when taken as a formation/detachment along side my Ragnar's company outside of the confines of the Sanctus Reach campaign. This could very easily be one line in a FAQ pdf. 

Brodyr, let's not start howling at the moon yet; I think it's likely that uber-grit will be an option with a point cost. Even if it's not, The loss of it will not be any kind of death blow. I'm personally more concerned about whether WG will stay the same or be turned into a Vet SGT option.

Not giving Krom rune armor seems really foolish, especially with the "must always challenge" saga attached. At a guess, the designers realized the points difference between the two forces was too high, and that was where they decided to make a change. Bad call, if you ask me, but there you are.

Couple of things I wanted to check. Everyone is stating that Krom is a decent price for a wolf lord (185pts). By my count (using the older codex) a wolflord with the same loadout comes in at 165pts so am I right in understanding Krom pays 20pts extra for furious charge? Or am I missing something else?

Additionally, has anyone looked into a comparions of the Ork dataslate in the box with the new Ork codex? That may give us a better indication if this box is truly a stand alone release or if it has been designed with the codex in hand. At the moment I've not yet received my stormclaw box and don't have access to the Orks codex, so if anyone else has one or both of these then maybe we can start to form theories based on evidence. As a scientist I'm always in favour of backing up theories with supporting data and/or literature.

Couple of things I wanted to check. Everyone is stating that Krom is a decent price for a wolf lord (185pts). By my count (using the older codex) a wolflord with the same loadout comes in at 165pts so am I right in understanding Krom pays 20pts extra for furious charge? Or am I missing something else?

Additionally, has anyone looked into a comparions of the Ork dataslate in the box with the new Ork codex? That may give us a better indication if this box is truly a stand alone release or if it has been designed with the codex in hand. At the moment I've not yet received my stormclaw box and don't have access to the Orks codex, so if anyone else has one or both of these then maybe we can start to form theories based on evidence. As a scientist I'm always in favour of backing up theories with supporting data and/or literature.

Well the pic posted in thios thread says 135, not 185...

Well the pic posted in thios thread says 135, not 185...

awesome, this makes a lot more sense then. Last I read it was 185 but that was probably based on the blurry images. It has been quite difficult keeping up with these threads since the flurry of recent info.

Quick question, can I still make up my own "Krom" from the new codex (provided he is not listed as a named character) or do I have to stick to the dataslate version?

I have had my own Krom modelled up for about 6 years, and while it is very accurate to the weapons loadout of the new character (has a plasma pistol instead of a bolt pistol) I do not fancy chopping bits off and changing them over.

(I got the limited run Lone Wolves diorama, and I am using the Skold Greypelt model as Krom) 

Right then, 

The Grots cost 5 points more than they would in the codex and seem to gain nothing from what I can tell.

The Nobs are 25 points more but gain Hammer of Wrath while Skrak head-smasher is alive. This coupled with Furious charge isn't bad. 

The killa Kans cost 5 points more but there character, Kurmpa, counts as a deff dread for the propose of "Cowardly Grots" rolls while sill in play.  

Non of the Ork unit leaders have extra stats over there codex brethren. 

interesting so they are not as in the codex, that does add some weight to these being a stand alone release set of rules. Also I'd probably argue that the additional Xpts that some of the models cost shouldn't be attributed to an "if Y chara is alive" because it doesn't provide a good rationale for the increased price. I'd argue that for these buffs the price of said character should reflect the potential unit/army benefits. 

I don't think Krom is worth his points. Yeah, he may be cheaper than what you can build on your own, but that doesn't mean he's worth it. He could have possibly been worth it for the formation, except they can't take transports. 

It's unfortunate, I was so pumped for this.

Archived