Krom Dragongaze Rules

CatSmasher

anyone notice that grukk's gitripper is pointless..... by pointless i mean why give it rending?? if it was the old rend where 6's to hit auto wound then i get it, but if he rolls a 6 to wound/pen anything he has already wounded/pened whatever he wanted to smash anyway.

GW's rework of rend was one of the worst mistakes they ever made.

wait...what is the rework to rend? Is it no longer AP2 on a 6 (with the extra d3 against armour)? - sorry, i know not super related to the thread..but my wulfen heavy army needs to know haha)

so I created a socket/pin setup for Krom's right arm so i can swap weapons right at the rist, and i magnetized his other arm, worked perfectly, just need to drill out some other hands to swap in and out and magnetize a shield arm!

Nrthstar can you post some pics on how you did that "socket/pin" join on the axe hand?

You old Veterans make my decision harder and harder.

On one hand, I want to keep Krom the way he is. He's a special model, that might never be back again.

On the other hand, I don't want a sub-optimal unit. Especially not in a beginner's army.
And Wolf Lord Kieran has already shown that it's a nice base for a modification.
So I coooouuuuld make my own Wolf Lord out of it. Because I like the Axe very much.

Well guess I'll have to wait for the Codex to decide what to do with him.

You old Veterans make my decision harder and harder.

On one hand, I want to keep Krom the way he is. He's a special model, that might never be back again.

On the other hand, I don't want a sub-optimal unit. Especially not in a beginner's army.

And Wolf Lord Kieran has already shown that it's a nice base for a modification.

So I coooouuuuld make my own Wolf Lord out of it. Because I like the Axe very much.

Well guess I'll have to wait for the Codex to decide what to do with him.

His standard armament is fine for a solid, killy Wolf Lord. Just use the standard Wolf Lord entry instead of his special character entry from the Stormclaw booklet and give him some Runic Armor. Saga of the Bear if you want him to live longer and Saga of the Warrior Born if you want more things dead. 

I don't understand something.  To my knowledge it is incredibly expensive to make a mold for a model.  And Krom and that Warboss will not be released outside of this limited run box set just doesn't make sense for me.  The businessman inside of me says something has to give.

Am I wrong about the costs of plastic molds? Is this not a limited release? Or is there a chance they will re-release the models eventually as standalones?

I don't understand something.  To my knowledge it is incredibly expensive to make a mold for a model.  And Krom and that Warboss will not be released outside of this limited run box set just doesn't make sense for me.  The businessman inside of me says something has to give.

Am I wrong about the costs of plastic molds? Is this not a limited release? Or is there a chance they will re-release the models eventually as standalones?

You're not wrong, but GW has done this before with Space Hulk and Dreadfleet. Incurring what must have been reasonably hefty start up costs for a single production run. At least (from their perspective) it's only 2 models this time instead of dozens. Still kinda stupid though.

We may see single releases later down the line, but I doubt it.

I think the cost of producing a single model would be mitigated by the huge draw of the label "limited edition." GW has always done this with the Games Day miniatures, some of which have been just incredible and singular models, like the Wolf Priest Sternhammer and the Captain with Thunder Hammer that was a dead ringer for Gabriel Angelos but they stick to that limited policy and never have these models been released again.

Though they might eat the cost of development these models pull for larger purchases. They sell games day tickets, they sell boxed sets and so forth. Yea the Wolf Lord and Warboss were expensive to produce but they sold out the Stormclaw boxed sets in a matter of hours from the website. They also likely enticed more purchases of the Red Waagh book and the other materials released with it and pumped up excitement for the new Space Wolf codex and the third installment of the campaign books yet to be released. In marketing terms the cost of the limited models is not only offset but greatly overshadowed by other sales. If it wasn't, they most likely wouldn't do it.

Well, I have to agree. It's a way to hype up old veterans (you) and attract new recruits (me and others). Especially with other new models and a codex arriving 'soon'.
I thought about starting Space Wolves for the last 3-4 weeks. As soon as Stormclaw popped up in the store I KNEW I had to have it. Luckily I found someone who wants the Orc half.
And all these limited edition almost always sell. I even buyed the frickin "Gimli sitting on a dead Uruk, smoking his pipe and grinning" model, back in the day.

Back to Krom:
Thanks for the advice, Vash! (Again.)
Maybe I'll go with that, when the Kodex arrives. The model is really cool, I just dislike his... haircut. Doesn't fit, for me.
Or I could build a Erik Morkai with it, seeing as it already has one Frost-Axe. Or I build a more personal Wolf Lord.

Well, let's wait and see.

Yeah, and this has been a fairly recent change.  I think some underlying technology and techniques must have changed.  Previously we saw single character models in metal, then Finecast for a while.  Now, GW seems to have figured out how to make these single pose "mini-sprues" in a cost efficient manner.  I have no doubt that the bean counters at GW made sure that if the limited production run sold out for Stormclaw that still would have resulted in a significant profit for the production of those character sprues.

They appeared to have "proved out" the technology with Fantasy Lords and Heroes characters.  That Chaos Nurgle Lord with his guts hanging out was one of the first ones (I believe).  I'm glad they got it figured out, because these character "mini sprues" are a great product for creating a highly detailed, conversion-friendly, character model.

Yeah, and this has been a fairly recent change.  I think some underlying technology and techniques must have changed.  Previously we saw single character models in metal, then Finecast for a while.  Now, GW seems to have figured out how to make these single pose "mini-sprues" in a cost efficient manner.  I have no doubt that the bean counters at GW made sure that if the limited production run sold out for Stormclaw that still would have resulted in a significant profit for the production of those character sprues.

They appeared to have "proved out" the technology with Fantasy Lords and Heroes characters.  That Chaos Nurgle Lord with his guts hanging out was one of the first ones (I believe).  I'm glad they got it figured out, because these character "mini sprues" are a great product for creating a highly detailed, conversion-friendly, character model.

Now if only they'd stop selling them for £20 a pop...

Back to Krom:

Maybe I'll go with that, when the Kodex arrives. The model is really cool, I just dislike his... haircut. Doesn't fit, for me.

Or I could build a Erik Morkai with it, seeing as it already has one Frost-Axe. Or I build a more personal Wolf Lord.

If you find the cover art for our 3rd edition codex, you will see why he has that hair. It's pic of a random Grey Hunter/Wolf Guard unloading bolts into an orc with that axe cocked for a death blow. The made a model of that picked and named it Krom Dragongaze. Most of the fan versions have him with twin Wolf Claws.

Let's see if I can link our forum's Wolf Lord creations from my phone

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/273491-wolf-lord-rules-revised-for-6th-edition/

If you find the cover art for our 3rd edition codex, you will see why he has that hair. It's pic of a random Grey Hunter/Wolf Guard unloading bolts into an orc with that axe cocked for a death blow. The made a model of that picked and named it Krom Dragongaze. Most of the fan versions have him with twin Wolf Claws.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/273491-wolf-lord-rules-revised-for-6th-edition/

Why Terminator Armor and Wolf Claws? huh.png

Figure that GW has made their money back from all the additional sprues they put into Stormclaw (all the basic kits in there are older, there is nothing created in the last what, two years or more), so any additional money they make from them is just bonus. On top of that, they already had the reprinted mini-Rules because of how quickly this was back to back with Dark Vengeance re-release, and there are no additional "starter" pieces in there. So the only thing they had to make was the box, the campaign booklets and instructions, and the characters.

Even if you figure $100K to make the special character molds and another $50K on printing (could be more, I'm obviously guessing at all this stuff), and another $25K on plastic, that's $175K. Even the 3K sets they were supposed to have sold in the US would have brought them in $375,000, so $200K profit. Other than maybe the printing and plastic for each additional country, everything beyond is basically pure profit, you don't have to pay for the molds again. Figure 3000 boxes for 30 countries (another poor guess), and you are looking at something on the order of $9 million in profit.

My guess is that the two special characters were easy to justify selling in this way.

They likely did some figuring though, and realized that based on the sales of the stand alone Librarian, Captain, Chaos Aspiring Champion, Eldar Farseer, and the like, they may not have been able to effectively recoup their costs of production, or at the very least, the profit amount wasn't high enough to make it worth while to produce that way.

This same logic can be applied to things like "Why didn't they release the special Terminator Captain in a clam pack?", etc.

As far as Krom's rules... I really don't understand why they made such intricate armor with clear runes in it and then didn't give him Runic Armor. My only guess is that it may have unbalanced the box if it was included in the rules, but they should have just given Orky McOrky-pants an invulnerable save from something instead.

I haven't really decided what I'm doing with my Krom yet (other than he is definitely getting painted up at some point).

I think has something to do with him ripping a throat out is his fluff. I wasn't on the forum when that thread started. If I got the thread I was thinking of, there was some forum collaboration on the various load outs. People probably wanted to see weapons other than the currently lousy Frost Weapons on the Wolf Lords. I don't know why the TDA though, maybe to look more imposing?

so I created a socket/pin setup for Krom's right arm so i can swap weapons right at the rist, and i magnetized his other arm, worked perfectly, just need to drill out some other hands to swap in and out and magnetize a shield arm!

Nrthstar can you post some pics on how you did that "socket/pin" join on the axe hand?

Oh yeah, let me get to it when I get home today.  Basically though I should have used brass rod, but I was out, so I used a paperclip.  I hand drilled a hole into each end, placed green stuff in each side, dropped and glued the pin into the arm, and then let the gs dry, then put gs into the hand, put it on the arm to create the socket, backed it out and let that dry.  Not the most refined, but it'll work as long as I'm not too rough on it.  I would have gladly magnetized it, but I didn't feel like ordering a ton of magnets that small.

I noticed that according to BOLS, they are releasing a plastic Wolf Lord with Frost Axe and Bolt Pistol. 

Clamshell pack with Krom Dragongaze in?

Perhaps but somehow I doubt it...

Back to Krom:

Just for completeness sake - and maybe because some other are interested - I found the corresponding pic Vykryl mentioned:

http://m1.paperblog.com/i/269/2696833/sobre-krom-dragongaze-origines-como-figura-L-zKrxRB.jpeg

Looks like Krom is an embellished version of that pic. The pose, weapons and head sent my mind straight to that cover. Add runes to the armor and a pelt cloak, and we have Wolf Lord Krom Dragongaze

Archived