Damnation of Pythos...initial thoughts

With this and "the traveller" annandale seems to be the resident HH horror writer

It was supposed to help shed some light on the shattered Legions, or something like that. Guess that wasn't the case.

Here's what I'm guessing he plot is:

Tough guy Iron Hand: "You're a coward, mehtal is DA best"

Sneaky Mksneakerson Raven Gaurd: "You're a tool you dumb crazy Iron Hand!"

Plot dawdles along...they have a fight or two and realize they need each other to survive.

IH: "You're not that bad, let's be friends!"

RG: "Thanks for the bionic replacement for my (insert missing body part)! Maybe we can be friends after all :) "

Did I save anyone $45?

When's the next book by Sanders, Wraight, ADB, or Abnett out?

Something like that, only everybody dies at the end.

It certainly is the most grimdark ending to a horus heresy book yet.

Good god, spoilers man!

Sorry.

I'll try not to spoil anything else.

Wait. Dumbeldore dies?!?!

You monsters!

With this and "the traveller" annandale seems to be the resident HH horror writer

It was supposed to help shed some light on the shattered Legions, or something like that. Guess that wasn't the case.

Here's what I'm guessing he plot is:

Tough guy Iron Hand: "You're a coward, mehtal is DA best"

Sneaky Mksneakerson Raven Gaurd: "You're a tool you dumb crazy Iron Hand!"

Plot dawdles along...they have a fight or two and realize they need each other to survive.

IH: "You're not that bad, let's be friends!"

RG: "Thanks for the bionic replacement for my (insert missing body part)! Maybe we can be friends after all :) "

Did I save anyone $45?

When's the next book by Sanders, Wraight, ADB, or Abnett out?

Something like that, only everybody dies at the end.

It certainly is the most grimdark ending to a horus heresy book yet.

Good god, spoilers man!

Sorry.

I'll try not to spoil anything else.

Wait. Dumbeldore dies?!?!

You monsters!

It was snape!

I mean kurze..... Let's stay on topic

I think if this had been released within the first ten of the HH series, I would've viewed it differently as it would have had more of a connection to the events but we are into the mid-point i.e. majority of stories are at least 2 years after the Massacre then to go back to 2 months after...might be wrong on that but again, have felt no urge to go back and re-read it, which is the surprise......

I'm guessing this is my Furious Abyss/Nemesis/insert your own title...but people's criticism for those were about, again take your pick, the way characters were portrayed for example yet still have moments which developed the scale of the conflict whereas Pythos that's not the issue. It is an okay read, enjoyed the novel itself but it really could be set in anytime of the Imperium and the story would work cause it is undoubtedly Grimdark.

I can appreciate if there are tie-ins to other story formats, understand how Scars could've been without Brotherhood of the Storm or how The Butcher's Nails lead into Betrayer, all for the HH series being a setting for the authors to create "unheard" events and maybe if I'd listened to Veritus Ferrum cause will need to wait for Sedition's Gate, I might have had a different attachment to the characters though doubt it would have changed my view on the timing of this coming out now so to sum up

When's Master of Mankind out?

I hate that even though I feel no excitement or enthusiasm towards this book I'll still eventually end up buying and reading it -_-

This.....

Oh good god this ^

I avoided Vulkan Lives because I couldn't stomach another 'Furious Abyss' but after finishing Vengeful Spirit my hunger for HH novels grew too strong.

It reminds me of Stephen Kings parody in Family Guy "Look guys...a lamp! But it's a scaaaary lamp'....... Sigh. I'm a HH whore I'll buy whatever trash they churn out and hope it's better than 'the abyss'.

Thank Slannesh for ADB, Abnett and (yes I know a lot don't like him but I do) McNeill

Edit- Also Wraight. Scars was mildly clunky but a very good read

Read half of it so far, I have no idea what is going on. Nothing makes sense, what are they doing on Pythos?

They detected a psychical anomaly so big it can be seen several sectors away and can be used as a second hand astronomican.

Yes, Sir. I got that far too. So what they want to do is to go to Pythos to do exactly what? The anomaly is already there, they are already using it for navigation. It all feels rather insane. Almost every page.

It's not so much navigation, as a clear and concise way to predict ship movement and locations, allowing the shattered legion ship to fight back with a force multiplier.

It is exactly what one could expect a cold and logical being to do, with an anomaly. The problem is that the anamoly, planet and situation are all unlogical and thus at direct opposites with the main characters beliefs.

For all the people comparing this to Abyss/etc you should go back and read them again and understand that those comparisons are doing this book a great disservice. Pythos is actually very well written on a technical side, and uses a lot of elements you see in suspense, horror, Lovecraftian cosmic horror, and mysteries.

What people likely find fault with is the setting - No connection to the main story, no furthering of the plot, no marine vs marine. I however think these qualities lend the book strength, and gives it legs to be something that most others can't, simply because they are bogged down in furthering that fateful arc - this one gives itself a greenlight to stop and smell the roses.

What I took from the book, what I thought it contributed to the Heresy was a very primal under the hood look at the one Legion who witnessed their gene sire die. There is no wondering with that, no questions, no feeling cheated or "he is simply misunderstood" or "he did it for the right reasons", their primarch dies before anyone knows how far gone the fallen Legions are, or for what reasons. Him and him alone out of all his brothers. Think of the effect that would have on the Legion, how it would mould, shape, rather change and evolve them. How if essentially a immortal demigod was proved wrong, what else could he have been wrong about?

The book does an excellent job covering the mental, psychological, and identity problems that are left in the wake of the death of Manus. Here you have a book that shows opinions from Tenth Legion characters who are mostly human, more machine than man, and almost totally and completely machine. Their humanity is less and less the farther in they go, and the difference of opinions within is interesting stuff. Vastly different, and shows how each way honors their Legion in their own mind. The fact that they did a book on asking those questions, means they care about this perspective. None suffered more loss as early as the Iron Hands, it is very silly to think that they would have taken everything in stride just the same as the other Legions. Absolutely not, and this shows it. They changed when their father died, for better or for worse is still up in the air, which also makes for interesting dialogue between the raven guard and salamander characters.

The warp / Daemons handled in this book is how they should have been handled in Fear to Tread - malicious, poisonous, slow, methodical, ever corrupting, ever waiting etc. Utterly not of this world and with no reason. Then take the Hands who are at their lowest point in morale, and put them up against an enemy who no logic, rationale or understanding can behold? It makes for some good scenes, some better questions and some very good point of views regarding the strength and responses to situations. Tell an Iron Hand that you can "taste shadow" and see how he would react... But in a place where the veil is thin and the unreal becomes real... even they might doubt themselves.

I love the grimdark stuff, and this has it in spades, but in a different way than we are used to. It also reminds us that being alive in this setting is the greatest victory one can hope to achieve.

Wow, some one with a positive take on the book.  /phew/    Thank you for your time to counter the rainy day brigade.  I'm some one who often differs form the majority in my likes, so i was hoping their might be more to the book then many seem to give it credit for.  Thanks to you, I'll not wait to get it like I was starting to feel like doing.  The Shattered Legions plot line is starting rival the Silent War in my list of favorites.

It's actually a really good read, and David Annendale has a great grasp of the legions without being too cliche. I love the horror aspect of the book. Grimdark is definitely a word to use. The sneaking, fear-inducing horror of daemons is brilliantly captured.

And sure, it doesn't progress the Heresy, nor are any Primarchs involved. But looking at books like Deliverance Lost or Fear To Tread, that may not be a bad thing. It's nice to take a side step and see a smaller scale book. I found Vengeful Spirit a bit much for my tastes

None suffered more loss as early as the Iron Hands, it is very silly to think that they would have taken everything in stride just the same as the other Legions. Absolutely not, and this shows it. They changed when their father died, for better or for worse is still up in the air, which also makes for interesting dialogue between the raven guard and salamander characters.

The warp / Daemons handled in this book is how they should have been handled in Fear to Tread - malicious, poisonous, slow, methodical, ever corrupting, ever waiting etc. Utterly not of this world and with no reason. Then take the Hands who are at their lowest point in morale, and put them up against an enemy who no logic, rationale or understanding can behold? It makes for some good scenes, some better questions and some very good point of views regarding the strength and responses to situations. Tell an Iron Hand that you can "taste shadow" and see how he would react... But in a place where the veil is thin and the unreal becomes real... even they might doubt themselves.

I love the grimdark stuff, and this has it in spades, but in a different way than we are used to. It also reminds us that being alive in this setting is the greatest victory one can hope to achieve.

Bravo Sir, Bravo

This is exactly what I wanted to hear, and when you think about it, all the legions will eventually go through this 'phase' the Iron Hands were just the first.

I for one cannot wait (hang me for heresy) to see what happens to my Legion when Sanguinius dies at the hand of Horus. With such a strong father/son/psychic/blood connection the Angels have with their father I can only hope that whoever writes the novel depicting this event does it absolute justice. 

The Horus Heresy is more than just another setting, its THE setting, the lynch pin at which the galaxy turns and becomes a cycle of never ending war that we all grew to love as 40k. If you think about it this way, then this book furthers the emotional/psychological plot of a legion dealing with the raw brutality of a dark future more than most of the Heresy novels to date and is moving the series closer to not only the end of the Heresy but the Imperium of the 41st millienium.

As always Candleshoes, well done. Also for those of you concerned that there is no link to the HH

there might be / is a story dealing with the corruption in the administration on Terra.

It's not so much navigation, as a clear and concise way to predict ship movement and locations, allowing the shattered legion ship to fight back with a force multiplier.

It is exactly what one could expect a cold and logical being to do, with an anomaly. The problem is that the anamoly, planet and situation are all unlogical and thus at direct opposites with the main characters beliefs.

For all the people comparing this to Abyss/etc you should go back and read them again and understand that those comparisons are doing this book a great disservice. Pythos is actually very well written on a technical side, and uses a lot of elements you see in suspense, horror, Lovecraftian cosmic horror, and mysteries.

What people likely find fault with is the setting - No connection to the main story, no furthering of the plot, no marine vs marine. I however think these qualities lend the book strength, and gives it legs to be something that most others can't, simply because they are bogged down in furthering that fateful arc - this one gives itself a greenlight to stop and smell the roses.

What I took from the book, what I thought it contributed to the Heresy was a very primal under the hood look at the one Legion who witnessed their gene sire die. There is no wondering with that, no questions, no feeling cheated or "he is simply misunderstood" or "he did it for the right reasons", their primarch dies before anyone knows how far gone the fallen Legions are, or for what reasons. Him and him alone out of all his brothers. Think of the effect that would have on the Legion, how it would mould, shape, rather change and evolve them. How if essentially a immortal demigod was proved wrong, what else could he have been wrong about?

The book does an excellent job covering the mental, psychological, and identity problems that are left in the wake of the death of Manus. Here you have a book that shows opinions from Tenth Legion characters who are mostly human, more machine than man, and almost totally and completely machine. Their humanity is less and less the farther in they go, and the difference of opinions within is interesting stuff. Vastly different, and shows how each way honors their Legion in their own mind. The fact that they did a book on asking those questions, means they care about this perspective. None suffered more loss as early as the Iron Hands, it is very silly to think that they would have taken everything in stride just the same as the other Legions. Absolutely not, and this shows it. They changed when their father died, for better or for worse is still up in the air, which also makes for interesting dialogue between the raven guard and salamander characters.

You make me want this book sooooo much now.

Glad they put the "grim" back in "grimdark" :D

Candleshoes, agree completely with your view on the book, well written and shows the Iron Hands in great detail in how they are reacting to the situation...but that reaction/development is in line with the majority of their portrayal already in other releases, further into the timeline...Unremembered Empire, Angel Exterminatus or Scars, where IH characters do display the same traits you mention-doubts, daemon and disregard of flesh- while Pythos does give them greater depth in exploring them, it's felt to me like it was covering old ground.

What has been in mind after reading the thread is, to expand on my original post, is that could actually be the beginning of the HH links to Pandorax****apologies in case of spoilers*****: Damnation Cache-pretty sure Pythos is referenced in that novel as well...one of the Grey Knight founders, more than likely will be a Knight Errant, and maybe the message will turn up again, might even be the one the GK's got for Mortarion's Heart, and if that is the case, then will wait to read that work

Wonderful to hear I wasn't alone with this line of thinking.

For some of those who haven't read/got your mits on a copy of the book so far, let me throw down some of my favorite quotes so far. They are mostly Iron Hands quotes, but some of them really paint the picture of what the midset is:

"I am not looking for comfort, none of us should, it is unworthy of who we are."

"To them, interpretation and lies are the same thing."

"Possessed by a rage of chilling rationality."

"None of us will be remembered. But swear to punish the enemy."

"The pattern froze. When it did, Atticus realised he was not looking at a web, but at a pane of cracked, shattered reality... behind the fragile layer of reality lay the great depths of madness... and from those depths an army came."

"A giant's hand sought to pry him from his perch and hurl him to the storm. He held fast, and after the first moment of the assualt, he had the firestorm's measure. He rose in defiance."

"Well? Do you share my madness, brothers?"

"We will die here. Even our gene seed is lost. Our company will vanish without a trace. Our history is at an end."

"Be at peace Salamander. This is not murder. It is suicide."

"The damage alarms flashed before his vision. He ignored them. He felt no pain."

Here also is a very interesting pic of Captain Atticus of the 111th Clan-Company 

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/IronHands_zpsa448f6ad.png

From BL today

Hey readers,

Today we hear from David Annandale, author of the latest novel in the Horus Heresy series.

The Damnation of Pythos is the first full length Horus Heresy novel from David (although he did write the Horus Heresy audio short Veritas Ferrum.) Fans of Warhammer 40,000 will be familiar with David’s Commissar Yarrick series as well as his numerous Space Marine Battles titles.

Here’s what he had to say about his first major foray into the 31st millennium.

Black Library - What is the coolest thing about The Damnation of Pythos?

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/BL/blog/2014/july/23/DAportrait.jpg

David - One of the things I love most about Warhammer 40,000 and the Horus Heresy is that they fuse all the genres I love together. And with The Damnation of Pythos, I had the opportunity to write what I see as a daemonic horror novel with Space Marines and giant monsters. What could be more cool?

Tell us about the story.

David - The Damnation of Pythos picks up the action immediately after the audio short Veritas Ferrum. After the disaster of Isstvan V, the Iron Hands of the strike cruiser Veritas Ferrum, along with the Salamanders and Raven Guard they rescued, reach the Pandorax system. On the planet Pythos, not only do they encounter monstrous saurians and other lethal forms of life, but they also find something that Captain Atticus hopes will provide a means to strike back against the traitors. But there is a darker, more insidious threat than the deadly predators at work on Pythos, and it has plans for the legionaries.

How does this fit into the wider Horus Heresy?

This is a tale of the early days of the Shattered Legions. After the Dropsite Massacre, the Iron Hands, Salamanders and Raven Guard no longer function as full legions, but that doesn't mean they're out of the fight. This is the beginning of a new kind of war for them. We also see something of the spiritual toll the loss of Ferrus Manus has on the Iron Hands.

Will we see any familiar characters in the novel, or is it a whole new cast so to speak?

For the most part, this is essentially a new cast, the majority of the characters having appeared previously only in Veritas Ferrum. There is, however, someone who has shown up much earlier in the Horus Heresy. Readers of the Sedition's Gate anthology will know who this is.

There are a few ties to some recent Warhammer 40,000 fiction in there as well. What can you tell us about that?

As far as the Imperium is concerned, The Damnation of Pythos is the beginning of the story of the Pandorax system. What is triggered here will have consequences ten thousand years later. And so the Warhammer 40,000 side of the story is told in C Z Dunn's Pandorax.

Thanks David,
The Damnation of Pythos is available to order now. You can choose from three formats: Hardback, eBook or unabridged audiobook MP3.

It is exactly what one could expect a cold and logical being to do, with an anomaly. The problem is that the anomaly, planet and situation are all unlogical and thus at direct opposites with the main characters beliefs.

So they went to Pythos to possess the power to predict ship movement and locations? Sounds legit :P  Wish I've known about it before I finished the book. All I was thinking was - Why are they even investigating this ridiculous planet?

Sadly it seems that I'm a bit slow. I like David, not my first pick or favorite author, but his delivery is solid.

I'm half way through and frankly this guy is a very good author. I'm a bit of an author snob but because I love the30k/40k setting so much I read a lot of black library. His portrayal of the iron hands is perfect, a lovely combination of wilful ignorance, self doubt and hunger for perfection. Their attitude to the raven guard and the salamanders is baffling at first but the author builds a narrative around the iron hands emotions so we'll that you can put yourself in their position and understand the opinion of Atticus. I love the portrayal of the emperors children and a nice touch for a corrupted dreadnought to make an appearance, a first I believe in the HH series.

It's very grimdark but not in a ridiculous way. There's a particular part I have loved so far which deals with the way the human serfs feel the night after they first encounter the anomaly. It's a brilliant piece of writing in the context of black library. Mark my words if he churns out books like this Annandale will quickly be writing main plot books along with Abbnett, ADB & Mcneil.

For me this book is one of the best in the HH series so far

BL shipped my copy yesterday, but shipping from them is usually terribly slow. After all these positive comments, I'm really looking forward to this book.

I am wondering if listening to Veritas Ferrum makes a difference in the enjoyment of this book... I found that Brotherhood of the Storm really made a difference with Scars, and that could very well be the case here as well. Not required by any means, but it might help with understanding the mindset of the Iron Hands going into this novel. 

Any of you lucky few that have read it care to offer your opinions on that? 

It isn't required no, it is a very brief audiobook.

All that happens is:

Then Iron hands vessel Veritas Ferrum is making its escape from the slaughter at Isstvan. While fleeing, they are hailed by several Salamander thunder hawks who cry out for aid and ask that they pick them up before they translate. The IH captain Atticus who is nearly wholely machine, refuses, as he would lose more men helping then leaving them. The salamanders plead with them, appealing to their human side and mention they have on board both iron hands and raven guard survivors. Atticus makes a call based on his guilt, rather than his logic and move to save them. He recovers the thunder hawks, but over 100 battle brothers are killed on the Veritus Ferrum in the damage to the ship. He and his ship then flee to the warp, Atticus promising to crush the last vestiges of his humanity for forcing him to make the wrong choice, and damns the traitors for putting everything he thought he knew into upheaval.

Archived