Battle report: footslogging DW. part 3!

Chaplain Lucifer

Here's the 3rd battle.

You can check part 2 here:http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/294038-battle-report-footslogging-dw-part-2/

What started as a simple game, now it's full fledged rivalry (on the good sense) and I feel that we're forging a narrative with this series of games.

MY List was the following:

Belial

Libby, with TDA, Force Stave, LIon's roar, Lvl2 pyromancy. (rolled 3 and 6... booyah molten beam!!)

2x 5 DWT with AC, 1 TH&SS

2x 5 DWT with cyclone.

3 bikes with 2 melta, AB w/MM

LSTyphoon

LSTyphoon

My Opponent's list has evolved into:

Khârn

9 Zerkers on rhino. Asp with PS

10 CSM on rhino, PG and HB, CCW, BP. ASp with PS

10 CSM, PG and HB

2x10 cultists

2x2 Oblits

Baledrake

10 havocs, 4x Autocannons

4 terminators, 3 combi plasma, 1 Reaper.

Misson was the number 3 where you can steel the objective from opponent (which happened often)

He deploys 2 rhinos in one flank, 1 CSM in cover and 2 cutists and havocs in cover covering objectives. I also deploy in cover with one AC squad on my left, 1 center and 2 on right flank opposite his havocs. my 2 speeders deploy out of LOS in right flank.

His first turn is eventfull with 2 termies from one cyclone squad and another from an AC squad going doing. rhinos came full throttle at me. He managed 1 Obj.

My turn the DWK, Belial and libby, DS middle, close to his foot CSM and cultists. Primaris sees that 4 cultists and 2 havocs burn in righteous fire. Thanks to burning the objective close by is captured by me, since he had no units within 3" anymore. Lion's roar takes 2 Havocs down and joint fire from 2 termie squads ensures that there are only 4 havocs left. 2 AC termie squad focus fire on foot CSM, killing 4 of their number, with speeders claiming 2 more. Thank you preferred enemy chaos for those mighty re-rolls. I fulfill another objective and discard the impossible control 6 objectives at once.

Turn 2 his reserves roll in with oblits and termies DS-ing and baledrake coming in. The baledrake kills one DWK, CSM terminators take out remnants of a mauled DW squad with combi plasma, and oblits rapid fire plasma 4 more DWT into oblivion.. Ouch! Luckily that was itas his shooting with anything not AP2 proved innefective... In the meantime. 2 rhino squads move forward and dismount, ready to assault my lines next turn.

On my second turn I got seriously worried!!! Chaos was all over me and I suffered casualties I wasn't expecting.

AB come in and takes aim at oblits. Belial and DWK shuffle close to RHino CSM to try and assault.. I move some squads to fulfill objectives... and then comes psyker phase. A nice molten beam claims 3 CSM, 4 Zerkers and 1 Oblit. cool.png

The Lion roars again with 2 zerkers going down. I managed to kill 2 havocs and a couple of CSM.. AB dispatches 1 oblit left from an Oblit squad and speeders take out rhino. My assault phase... Nothing happens becuse I fired at zerker squad, so I am out of range to assault it.. )initial plan was to assault the closer CSM!!! ) d'oh!!!! Still I managed to fulfill 1 or objectives (can't remember)

His turn 3...

Zerkers go for an AC squad, oblits for another AC squad together with Rhino CSM . His Chaos termies gun for my remaining cyclone squad. The DWK survive thanks to T5 and 3++ to everything thrown at them. Baledrake kills one termie from cyclone squad. Oblits take another one from an AC squad.

Assault phase rolls in and Khârn and 3 zerkers go for an AC squad, Oblits for another one and CSMT for the cyclone squad. Overwatch does diddly squat... Khârn kills an aspiring champion and DW SGT.. thank you Storm shield!!! ! Remaining DWT kill his 2 zerker buddies. On other side, the oblits chew more they can bite... they die taking one DWT with them... The CSM Terminators and DW squad kill each other. ohmy.png

My turn 3 comes in. Bikes arrive and go for havoc... Librian goes after squad of chaos cultists, Belial goes for CSM and DWK for another CSM squad. AC termies go for left over rhino ... I had a card saying that I would get D3 VP if I controlled more than double Obj than my opponent. I was mauled, but I could still make it!

Librarian incinerates 4 cultists before charging and wipes them out. Bikes shoot and assault Havocs, taking them out. Speeders soften up a CSM squad before DWK assault, belial assault CSM and kills all. Termies destroy rhino in CC.

At the end of my turn there were only Khârn, a squad of cultists and a soon out of the board baledrake. I manage to score 3 VP from the aformentioned objective and 2 more from another 2. Result was 10-3 and my opponent conceded. There's only so much Khârn can do on foot and that squad of cultists had a furious Librarian and bikes looming.

Speeders were nice. Those 2 HB and Cyclones came in handy for some long range support. I would dare to say they did more than the 3 bikes and AB they replaced would ever did.

Lion's roar is the cat's meow, for those of us still enjoying paper Codex and FAQ. ;) IMHO even for the "nerfed" e-version it's a good way to spend 20 left over points.

I missed some storm shields at some point, but having 10 SB and 2 cyclone shots per squad is nice. I'm going to try and put a SS per squad.

Librarian with Pyromancy was ace. 2 heavy flamers and 1 molten beam took their toll. I think I found a new favourite discipline. This one is very agressive for a DS army.

Belial and DWK shine was the resilience. I felt my opponent was convinced they were too tough so he put his AP2 in the DWT that were without SS... Maybe that was why I feel I needed more SS on DWT squads...

I don't know if there will be a part 4 so soon. I would like to get a game vs something other than Chaos. Preferred enemy Chaos feels like cheating a bit hahahaha.

Your buddy is taking veterans of the long war, right?

Your lists sound similarly designed for fun, low model count, and some hectic action in close combat. It does sound like his plasma termies really flashed horridly, while your DWK were saving really well.

Khârn with his AP2 is a beast. Just a side note... if you target his (Khârn's) squad with a psychic power he does confer a 2+ Deny the Witch to his squad. (Not sure if it was something you guys did or not.) Khârn with Rage, Gore Child, furious charge, and Hatred built in is going to hit/wound just about anything he touches.

I see the 'cat's meow' has caught on. lol  Too bad about the changes... I don't understand it, I mean it costs as much as a plasma cannon. Why would it just be one use? doesn't make any sense to me... for a codex most think struggles to compete I'm not sure why they'd not take the opportunity to leave it alone in 7th.

This seemed like a fun game, and probably the points don't dictate the good ol' fashioned bashing that happened on both sides.

Pyro for the win! I'm considering trying it tonight as I did not find Telekinesis too great. Thanks for the batrep!

I have a game slotted tonight... not sure if I'll use my variant because I know mostly 'horde' players are coming out tonight so I may get slaughtered by numbers.

I don't think he had Veterans of the long war...and we forgot Khârn's ability, although the psyker power was no aimed at him... so I'm not surehe could stop it.

Our lists are designed for fun, but both me and him strive to improve to at least give a good fight to better lists. I think with this DW list I can put up a fight in a more competitive ennvironment, thanks to maelstrom missions.

Nice report and interesting to hear about the impact the speeders had. I have two still to build, and I am tempted by making a second typhoon - sounds like they did well as a tag team and his heavy weaponry tended to be reserved for your terminators.

Why would he take Veterans of the Long War?  Hatred: Space Marines does not give them Hatred: Dark Angels does it?  I see the +1 L, but is that worth the points?

edit: Never mind... I just read the designers note on page 28 to see that it does grant Hatred: Dark Angels.  Carry on  :)

Speeders are a bit of a conundrum for your opponent if your quite a way forward with an all action aggressive style.often than not there getting a cover save and mobile with 12" redeployment each round + there not as high priority but certainly take their toll pumping out hb & missiles every round. The 2 hb variant are worth taking if your squeezed for points.

Pyro the new black luv it, the nova power is so good in crowded areas and the beam is awesome

Archived