++ Excessive Perfection - An Emperor's Children Community ++

Forté

Okay, so I've done some more tinkering, and this is my new Emperor's Children List:

Battalion - Emperor's Children

HQ 1: Lucius - 115

HQ 2: Sorcerer (Force Sword, Bolt Pistol) - 113

Troop 1: Noise Marines x6 (Sonic Blaster x5, Doom Siren, Blastmaster) - 140

Troop 2: Noise Marines x6 (Sonic Blaster x5, Doom Siren, Blastmaster) - 140

Troop 3: Noise Marines x6 (Sonic Blaster x5, Doom Siren, Blastmaster) - 140

Troop 4: Cultists x20 (18x autopistol, shotgun, 2x flamer, 20x ccw) - 87

Troop 5: Cultists x20 (18x autopistol, shotgun, 2x flamer, 20x ccw) - 87

Heavy Support: Gigantic Chaos Spawn - 150

Total: 972 points

Dunno what to do with it to make it 1000 points :laugh.: 'cause a regular Spawn is 33 points. Maybe more cultists to each squad?

Edited by Gederas

Give that sorcerer a jump pack?

.... Reasons why I say I'm not a smart man :laugh.:

Edit: Also, I was just looking at the Palatine Blades models from Forge World and had an idea.

So I checked the Chaos Marine codex and you can indeed have Palatine Blades in your 40k Emperor's Children.

A squad of 5 Chosen can all have power swords and bolt pistols, and with an Icon of Excess is only 105 points. You could also give all of them Plasma Pistols, but that's a bit pricey.

Edited by Gederas

I'd rather go with Possessed instead of Chosen for a melee unit tho.

Maybe. But Chosen, even with Power Swords, are still cheaper than Possessed, as Chosen are 15 base, 19 with power swords compared to the Possessed's 22 points.

Plus Chosen have pistols, so they can at least threaten things outside of melee. And a better AP with Power Swords (AP -3 to Possessed's AP -2).

Edited by Gederas

Possessed are point for point more efficient in melee than Chosen tho. There's nothing Chosen can do other units in the Codex couldn't do better unfortunately.

In this case, not so much. The extra point of Strength Possessed have is mitigated by the fact that the squad can have overall less attacks than Chosen, and at a worse AP value.

And Chosen do one thing better than any other thing in the codex:

Spam Special Weapons.

Plus, Chosen can also make a good equivalent for Emperor's Children to Khorne Berzerkers.

Well Possessed have more movent and a 5++ and could theoretically get buffed by Daemon Heralds due having the Daemon keyword. Chosen simply die as fast as regular Chaos Marines and cost a lot of points for that.

Also about the special weapons ... what special weapons do you want to give them that wouldn't be better on a unit of terminators or Havocs?

Really, this is no new revelation or anything. Chosen are bad. Basically the worst unit in the Codex.

Edited by sfPanzer

So... Is this where I point out I actually don't give a :censored: about what unit is better and was merely pointing out you can have a fluffy unit from the Emperor's Children's history in the Heresy in 40k and it be pretty decent? I'm not saying Chosen are good or bad, ALL I WAS SAYING is that you can have the Palatine Blades in 40k. You're the one who came in here being all "actually, Chosen suck, Possessed are better", when my point was that you can make the Palatine Blades in 40k with Chosen.

But clearly, since Chosen are subjectively bad, that means my entire point was invalidated, right?

Edited by Gederas

Well that's something you should've mentioned before. Especially since I only said I'd prefer Possesses over Chosen for a melee unit and then you've started talking about how cheap they are and whatnot. So no need to get upset just because someone doesn't instantly agree with you. ;)

Can't argue about rule of cool etc.

Gederas, I just really like Sorcerers with jump packs. This edition I have been having the best of luck with mine casting spells and delivering his force axe to faces.

I also never thought to use chosen as a quasi Palatine Blades. I had been used to using CCW armed Noise Marines for that which means I lose out on sonic weaponry. Right now I am trying to get the energy to simply finish building my EC so I haven't really taken the codex into consideration for them.

Well ... I'm usually not that guy but "told ya!". So many of you didn't want to believe me when I said that nothing in the rule allows you to shoot non-pistols if you're still within 1" of an enemy unit lol

Q: If a Noise Marine is slain whilst its unit is within 1" of an

enemy unit, can he use his Music of the Apocalypse ability to
shoot the unit that is within 1"?
A: Yes, but only with a Pistol.

Also:

Q: Can a Noise Marine use his Music of the Apocalypse ability if he flees the battlefield?
A: No. This ability can only be used when the model is slain.

Q: Can a Noise Marine that is slain use his Music of the Apocalypse ability to shoot any viable target, or does it have to target the unit that killed him?
A: It can shoot at any viable target.

Q: If several Noise Marines are slain in the same attack, can they each use their Music of the Apocalypse ability to throw a grenade, or can only one of them do so?
A: Each of them can throw a grenade

Q: If a Noise Marine is slain in the Fight phase, and he uses his Music of the Apocalypse ability to shoot an Imperium unit and subsequently rolls a hit roll of 6+, does the Death to the False Emperor ability then grant him an extra attack with that weapon, even though it’s a ranged weapon?

A: Yes. In this situation, make an extra hit roll against the target on a hit roll of 6+.

And because it's kinda relevant for the discussion we had earlier, Chosen now can keep their Bolter when taking power weapons just like the Blood Angels Deathcompany:

Page 136 – Chosen, Wargear Options

Change this unit’s wargear options to read: ‘

• Any Chosen may take one item from the Melee Weapons list.

• Up to four Chosen may choose one of the following options:

• Replace his bolt pistol with a plasma pistol.

• Replace his boltgun with one item from the Combiweapons or Special Weapons lists.

• Replace his boltgun and bolt pistol with a lightning claw.

• An additional Chosen may replace his boltgun with one item from the Special Weapons or Heavy Weapons lists.

• The Chosen Champion may either take one item from the Melee Weapons list, or replace his boltgun and bolt pistol with items from the Champion Equipment list.

• One model may take a Chaos Icon (pg 153).’

Man, why can't Noise Marines be allowed to shoot their wub-wubs in close combat if they die? Like come on :laugh.:

And to that Chosen thing, I think that makes Chosen just a bit better :laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

So a question for everyone.

I'm thinking of making my own Sonic Dreadnought (because I wasn't able to get one from Forgeworld and can't find any for a decent price on the Bay), and was wondering this:

Which Dreadnought model (or the Helbrute), would you say would work best for making one of these? I know I'll just use two of the spare Blastmasters from my Noise Marine upgrades, but I'm also not sure how to model the Doom Siren on it.

Thoughts?

It depends on what you want on the second arm to be honest. If you're fine with a fist I'd go for the cheaper DV Helbrute. It's snapfit so you'll have to do some cutting to replace the Melta with the Twin Blastmaster, but it should work out fine.

If you want Power Scourge (that's what I would go for) the regular/more expensive/less mutated/no snapfit box is the better option imo.

I can still shoot longe range and grenade when up close and personal when slain.

I'd still argue you can't do that if you're up close and personal when slain. Again, just like you can't shoot out of any close combat regularly nothing about Music of the Apocalypse allows you to shoot non-pistol weapons while within 1" of an enemy unit. Not at the unit you're in melee with itself nor at other units.

It depends on what you want on the second arm to be honest. If you're fine with a fist I'd go for the cheaper DV Helbrute. It's snapfit so you'll have to do some cutting to replace the Melta with the Twin Blastmaster, but it should work out fine.

If you want Power Scourge (that's what I would go for) the regular/more expensive/less mutated/no snapfit box is the better option imo.

Oh yeah, I do happen to have a spare Dark Vengeance helbrute with the multi-melta already chopped off (was planned to be a Lasbrute for my Death Guard), but that's an idea.

Still not sure about the Doom Siren though :lol:

Yeah that's entirely possible. ;)

A bit sad that Noise Marines essentially are a 100% ranged unit despite the A2 stat and the amount of S4 shooting they have doesn't really compare to many other S4 spam other armies have for the same points even when shooting twice (Gaunts, Primaris Aggressors, Strike Squads, etc). Really hoping for an EC release soon-ish to give us more toys and maybe a little buff for Noise Marines. ^^

Yeah, I have a buddy who hates Noise Marines. If they live they hurt you and if you kill them they still hurt you!

I also hope we get new stuff too. I loved it when we got Traitor Legions with the buffs and combat drugs...so I want stuff like that back among any other goodies I can get my hands on.

The combat drugs and stronger Noise weaponry was so awesome. I'm extremely sad they removed it so fast again without any replacement (for now). I also want to out-drug the new Drukhari player in my group! :biggrin.:

Emperor's Children codex:

- DRUGS. All the drugs! Show the Dark Eldar how a real army does drugs! :lol:

- Related to the above: DOOMRIDER

- Better Noise Marines

- Palatine Blades (better Chosen?)

- Phoenix Guard

- Emperor's Children terminators (in Tartaros armour)

- Fulgrim

- Sonic Dreadnoughts as their own model

- Sonic vehicles?