[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

That's a great piece of advice! Thank you!

Yeah I forgot to preface it that I want to have a joint Iron Warrior and Imperial Fist force for a narrative campaign with Polux (As you know I love him) and Dantioch.

But you are right and it will be a toss up between this IW force and Blood Angels as partners for them.

A question to the wise and noble posters of the Iron Warriors Tactica...

I've been considering running/building a loyalist version of the Ironfire list above, but I'm wondering if it's viable without centering it around Pert. I'd have obviously have to pay the Praetor tax (or maybe Kyr Vhalen?) in order to unlock the Rite, but I'm happy to do that.

While I love quad mortars, I'm not a huge fan of the Medusa model, so I'm trying to tailor the list a bit to suit my preferences while still being IVth-ish. I also don't want to take so many phosphex-laden quad mortars that no one ever plays against me again.

I'm wondering about what else to fill the list up with, and I keep coming back to the Achillesand Achilles-Alpha. Is it viable in this type of force? What about a Scorpius? I'm torn between Iron Havocs and Siege Tyrants as well...

Anyway. These are what I'd consider my options to be at the moment.

HQ - Praetor, Siege Breaker, Damocles Rhino

Elites - Thudd Gun Batteries, Contemptors (maybe?) kitted out for dealing with AP2 stuff, Apothecaries

Troops - 2 x Tac Squads in Rhinos, Tactical Support with Volkites/Plasma

FA - None, though possibly some. Meh on FA.

HS - Achilles/Achilles-Alpha w/ PotMS, Scorpius w/ PotMS, Iron Havocs, Siege Tyrants

I realise I'm un-optimising this list, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Perturabo let's you roll for reserves from Turn 1 for the army.

If I take an allied detachment of Deathguard with Orbital assault (DS Terminators) does that mean I they are included in this ability?

Make a man very happy and say yes!

I tend to view the AoD FoC as one army, with limitations being imposed by the units taken within the separate detachments that compose the army.

I haven't read anything in the allies matrix that would indicate that reserves are treated separately between detachments in an army.

This is wonderful news.

Okay because of this I can do this...

Hidden Content

+++ DEATH-METAL (2912pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1875pts) ++

+ HQ (100pts) +

Damocles Command Rhino (100pts)

+ Troops (480pts) +

Legion Terminator Squad (240pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist, 4x Combi-Weapon, 4x Legion Terminators]
····Legion Terminator Sergeant [Combi-Weapon, Thunderhammer]

Legion Terminator Squad (240pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist, 4x Combi-Weapon, 4x Legion Terminators]
····Legion Terminator Sergeant [Combi-Weapon, Thunderhammer]

+ Elites (410pts) +

'Iron Circle' Domitar-Ferrum Class Battle-automata Maniple (410pts) [2x Domitar-Ferrum Class Battle Automata]

+ Heavy Support (395pts) +

Iron Havoc Support Squad (395pts) [7x Iron Havoc, 7x Lascannon]
····Iron Havoc Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Lascannon]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [iV: Iron Warriors, Traitor]

+ Lord of War (490pts) +

The Primarch Perturabo (490pts) [After Istvaan]
····Master of the Legion [Primarch's Chosen]

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Allied Detachment) (1037pts) ++

+ HQ (382pts) +

Legion Praetor (382pts) [Digital Lasers, Grenade Harness, Iron Halo, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Paragon Blade, Tartaros Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Volkite Charger]
····Deathshroud Terminator Squad [4x Deathshroud Terminators]
····Master of the Legion [Orbital Assault]

+ Elites (210pts) +

Deathshroud Terminator Squad (210pts) [5x Deathshroud Terminators]

+ Troops (225pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (225pts) [Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Scythe]

+ Heavy Support (220pts) +

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (220pts) [2x Chainfist, 4x Grave Warden Terminator, Heavy Flamer with Chem-munitions]
····Chem-master [Combi-weapon]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Traitor, XIV: Death Guard]

Iron Circle could probably be replaced or put down to one, but hey - they're pretty awesome and offer a later threat that can walk up the table. Havocs for anti-armour. Probably get a bunker in too with comms for that reliable insane alphastrike. No Tyrants but I suppose they go in if the circle was out! Lots of room for points wiggle with removing upgrades on the Preator or other such things.

I considered outflanking Sniper vets, as they also get furious charge in the enemy deployment from Perturabo, but yet more Terminators just seemed plain better to achieve critical mass.

Nice synergy with Death Guard murdering infantry and Iron Warriors crushing AV. Lots of scoring too, even if Pert is lost, I still have 4 scoring units in the Death Guard contingent while the IW Deny. Also - Furious Charge Deathshroud? Absolutely awesome.
Edited by Charlo

A question to the wise and noble posters of the Iron Warriors Tactica...

I've been considering running/building a loyalist version of the Ironfire list above, but I'm wondering if it's viable without centering it around Pert. I'd have obviously have to pay the Praetor tax (or maybe Kyr Vhalen?) in order to unlock the Rite, but I'm happy to do that.

While I love quad mortars, I'm not a huge fan of the Medusa model, so I'm trying to tailor the list a bit to suit my preferences while still being IVth-ish. I also don't want to take so many phosphex-laden quad mortars that no one ever plays against me again.

I'm wondering about what else to fill the list up with, and I keep coming back to the Achillesand Achilles-Alpha. Is it viable in this type of force? What about a Scorpius? I'm torn between Iron Havocs and Siege Tyrants as well...

Anyway. These are what I'd consider my options to be at the moment.

HQ - Praetor, Siege Breaker, Damocles Rhino

Elites - Thudd Gun Batteries, Contemptors (maybe?) kitted out for dealing with AP2 stuff, Apothecaries

Troops - 2 x Tac Squads in Rhinos, Tactical Support with Volkites/Plasma

FA - None, though possibly some. Meh on FA.

HS - Achilles/Achilles-Alpha w/ PotMS, Scorpius w/ PotMS, Iron Havocs, Siege Tyrants

I realise I'm un-optimising this list, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Damocles can't be a compulsory HQ choice.

But there's a praetor in his list already ?

Damocles can't be a compulsory HQ choice.

Primarch's Chosen :^)

Perturabo is the compulsory HQ!

So how what do people think? Honestly i'll probably lose the Iron Circle for 7 Tyrants and some other things - maybe a Primus Medicae to keep them all alive longer.

To avoid confusion with Primarchs Chosen, use a unit with the RoW to unlock him in the HQ Slot then give the primarch the RoW and remove the primary unlocker.

Makes it a bit easier to read if the Primarch for Primarchs Chosen is in Hq instead of LoW.

Roundabout but, hey.

Brethren of Iron has some potential imo, but I wish it also granted automata the "legion inductees" rule from the praevian.

The only real benefit I see is scoring castellax (I see a vision of implacable waves of IW tacticals supported by trudging darkfire castellax), and the fact that monstrous creatures are much more competetive than regular old space marines.

Plus vorax are sick models.

The only real benefit I see is scoring castellax

Castellax and other automata cannot score. Does that ROW give it to them?

Forgot about that, and no Brethren of Iron does not specifically state that automata score. That makes it even less appealing except for Mako's point, but even then a magos is rarely a bad investment. Especially some of the DarkMech characters, though draykavac can't be in an allied detachment (but I'm pretty sure Scoria can).

Yes, provided you have other targets, your blob has a good chance of arriving. I have never lost a blob supported by an apothecary. Give the sgt AA, a power weapon, and a melta-bomb and make sure the apothecary has a scanner. Always fun to rapid fire a drop podded squad who thought they were going to get the jump on you.

Yes, provided you have other targets, your blob has a good chance of arriving. I have never lost a blob supported by an apothecary. Give the sgt AA, a power weapon, and a melta-bomb and make sure the apothecary has a scanner. Always fun to rapid fire a drop podded squad who thought they were going to get the jump on you.

Any specific power weapon? I was tempted by a Power Maul just for looks but I guess a power sword may be better?