[HH1.0] Tactica Chainaxe: World Eaters

LongGone

Okkayy, change of subject :) My apologies, only loosely "tactica", but what colour shall I paint the helmets on my WE Vets vexilla?

I've used 3 helmets on a spike. To be fluffy for Istvaan I guess these would need to be ravenguard, iron warriors or slamanders - but these colours are all pretty subdued and I'd prefer "poppy" colours. Assuming my WE could be fighting at any time in the heresy, are there any helmets I can't include??

I quite want to include imperial fists and maybe a blood angel or Ultramarine or something... any thoughts?

So, i've been doing all of my damaged/killed bits as ultramarines...and by all i guess i just mean the helmet on Khârn's base, lol.

Since the dominate colors of the armor are blue and white, i would maybe go with blood angels helmets.  Dirty/brownish reds look great along side the WE colors.  Or you could do red helmets like ultramarine sargents (unless they started they trend well after the heresy?).  Purple EC helmets would look pretty cool too i think.

Okkayy, change of subject :smile.: My apologies, only loosely "tactica", but what colour shall I paint the helmets on my WE Vets vexilla?

I've used 3 helmets on a spike. To be fluffy for Istvaan I guess these would need to be ravenguard, iron warriors or slamanders - but these colours are all pretty subdued and I'd prefer "poppy" colours. Assuming my WE could be fighting at any time in the heresy, are there any helmets I can't include??

I quite want to include imperial fists and maybe a blood angel or Ultramarine or something... any thoughts?

You can use anything really. The fluff is your oyster. We know the Fists sent a Retribution Fleet to Istvaan, but was waylaid into Phall. Who's to say a few ships of Fists actually translated into Istvaan and were immediately boarded by World Eaters? Voila, Istvaan timescale Imperial Fist helm trophies.

So, i've been doing all of my damaged/killed bits as ultramarines...and by all i guess i just mean the helmet on Khârn's base, lol.

Since the dominate colors of the armor are blue and white, i would maybe go with blood angels helmets.  Dirty/brownish reds look great along side the WE colors.  Or you could do red helmets like ultramarine sargents (unless they started they trend well after the heresy?).  Purple EC helmets would look pretty cool too i think.

I use Salamanders, my World Eaters are a "picture in time" of them butchering their way through the XVIIIth at Istvaan. I've been liberally applying Vallejo Black Lava to the bases for that black sand/rock effect of the Urgall Depression. My Salamanders are similarly based, so they look matching on my shelves. Ultramarine red helmets happened sometime after Calth, so for Istvaan is a bit tooooo early probably. 

kharybdis...how are you running yours?

so i tried mine out for the first time at the weekend in the following 2500 list:

Angron (bezerker assault) - goes with large tac squad

preator and paragon - goes with butchers for ap2 at initiative

surlak - goes with angron

10 man bare bones tac squad (bezerker tax)

14 man tac squad, fist, vexilla

14 man inducti squad, fist vexilla

5 butchers

2 x spartan f/s, a/c, dozers

kharybdis

i had all my transports in heavy's so i can change who goes in what depending on mission and enemy deployment, so i thought it would be neat chucking angrons scary unit in it and throw it right in the mix. The problem being is that it only take one pen to get a good roll and blow it up (which it did) and then you have a large, vulnerable unit to weather a turn of shooting and potentially assaults... not good for us.

back to the drawing board and thinking in future, the unducti squad are best in it to act as a blocker or distraction/tie up unit while the spartans charge forward with the rest

I'm planning on adding in a podded levi with melta and drill along with an anvilus for the tac squad for my 3000 list so that there are 2 large threats dropping turn 1 so target priority will be harder for my oponent, but at the moment, the pod is the easiest thing to destroy so will get targeted first.

what do you put in yours and how do you use it to maximum effect?

Edited by Fangbanger

In my kharybdis goes Angron or Kahrn, Surlak, a forge Lord with at least rad grenades but maybe a power fist and cyber familiar, and a squad of tacticals to fill out the rest of the slots.

If I am worried about it getting shot up I will leave it in reserve and bring in other stuff that can deal with the guns. Leviathans, red butchers, or inductii with power fist.

Usually though, it drops in and I jink to keep it alive. As long as the guys inside aren't charged I am fine.

Do despoilers have 2 attacks base (+1 for being double armed for a total of 3?)

Kinda.

They have 1 Base + 1 for 2 CCW

Then, as a World Eater, you have Rage for +2 on the Charge (4) and if you slap an Apothecary to the Squad, get Exhortation of Butchery for a Further +1.

Mix that all into a 20man Despoiler Blob and thats ~100 Attacks.

Make them Inductiis for S5 too.

Edited by Slipstreams

Despoilers are regular legion tactical marines so they have the regular tactical marine stat line, it's just the name given to the models that represent the ccw/bolt pistol load out option for the tac squad. I do not think they are a separate entry in lacal.

Despoilers are regular legion tactical marines so they have the regular tactical marine stat line, it's just the name given to the models that represent the ccw/bolt pistol load out option for the tac squad. I do not think they are a separate entry in lacal.

You would be correct.

^I've gotten way better results spacing things out compared to the deathstar approach. 

Typically a deathstar unit will annihilate whatever it hits, then get shot to poo on your opponent's turn before they can do something else useful.

Well, it comes down to a few thing:

How many Land Raiders/Spartans/Dreadclaws/Kharybdis/Caestus' can you shove into a list to lug your infantry around in?

Because you can do it in a Pseudo Orbital Assault manner (if using Berserker Assault or Crimson Path) by loading up on Dreadclaws / Kharybdis where possible and/or Dreads in Dreadpods to up the DPA count or Terminators since they can take Dedicated Dreadclaws.

Such as:

+++ World Eaters From The Sky (3000pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (3000pts) ++

+ HQ (405pts) +

Damocles Command Rhino (105pts) [Dozer Blade]

Gahlan Surlak (110pts)

Khârn the Bloody (190pts) [Legacy of Blood]
··Master of the Legion [beserker Assault]

+ Troops (680pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (200pts) [Augmented Inductii, Exchange their Bolters for a Chainsword or Combat Blade, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox]
··Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist]

Legion Tactical Squad (200pts) [Augmented Inductii, Exchange their Bolters for a Chainsword or Combat Blade, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox]

Legion Tactical Squad (280pts) [ Exchange their Bolters for a Chainsword or Combat Blade,17x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox]

+ Elites (480pts) +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon (240pts)
··Cortus Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked bolter, 2x Graviton Gun, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod]

··Cortus Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked bolter, 2x Graviton Gun, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod]

+ Fast Attack (410pts) +

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod (100pts)

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod (100pts)

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter (210pts) [battle Servitor Control, Ground-tracking Auguries, 2x Two Kraken penetrator heavy missiles]

+ Heavy Support (1025pts) +

Legion Kharybdis Assault Claw (260pts)

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon (395pts)
··Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Armoured Ceramite, Cyclonic Melta Lance, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Leviathan Siege Drill, Phosphex Discharger]

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon (370pts)
··Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Grav-flux Bombard, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Phosphex Discharger]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Traitor, XII: World Eaters]

Otherwise, you can go Land Based.

+++ World Eaters On The Ground (2995pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (2995pts) ++

+ HQ (300pts) +

Gahlan Surlak (110pts)

Khârn the Bloody (190pts) [Legacy of Blood]
··Master of the Legion [beserker Assault]

+ Troops (670pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (190pts) [Augmented Inductii, Exchange their Bolters for a Chainsword or Combat Blade, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

Legion Tactical Squad (190pts) [Augmented Inductii, Exchange their Bolters for a Chainsword or Combat Blade, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

Legion Tactical Squad (290pts) [Exchange their Bolters for a Chainsword or Combat Blade, 19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

+ Elites (735pts) +

Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery (255pts) [incendiary Shell, 3x Legion Rapier, Shatter Shell, Splinter Shell]

+ Heavy Support (1290pts) +

Legion Land Raider Battle Squadron (550pts)
··Land Raider Phobos [Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade]
··Land Raider Phobos [Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade]

Legion Spartan Assault Tank (345pts) [Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Flare Shield]

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon (395pts)
··Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Armoured Ceramite, Cyclonic Melta Lance, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Leviathan Siege Drill, Phosphex Discharger]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Traitor, XII: World Eaters]

It still has a Pod Element though.
+++

Now, whether or not you can translate this to 40k is the challenge.
Edited by Slipstreams

Wow, points are rough in 30k. You would think I would know this after playing for 4 years with my NL but after painting WE for awhile I finally decided to make a list for 2500 points which is standard in my group although I am the only 30k player. We play TAC as no one every mentions what they are playing until it comes time to put it on the board.

Kharne

5 red butchers one with a chainfist.

Spartan

2x 15 tacs with chain axes, one jumps in the Spartan on the first turn.

Vet squad in a rhino with HBs and sniper.

apothecaries x2

Contemptor with kheres and grav

Deredeo

Caestus for the butchers.

Sicarian

Typhon

Yeah it came up to exactly 3000 and I don't know what to drop to get it to 2500 and no matter what I will be light it seems for 2500 points. I feel like my NL drop list had soooo many more bodies.Dropping a Spartan would give me back 340 points leaving me with another foot slogging blob  and 140 points to go. Dropping the sicarian leaves me with a ranged firepower hole.

Has anyone tried all infantry and walkers? I seem to have a contemptor surplus probably like most people. Multiple blobs of tac marines, heavy weapon squads, vet squads and the butchers, each blob backed up by a contemptor? That's a lot of white and blue but I think it would look cool on the table. Back to the drawing board. Maybe run the typhon just to act as a bullet sponge.

Ive tried foot horde armies before. Unless you play in super terrain saturated tables...its annoyingly slow, especially if your guys got pistols and no bolters, because then you are left running into range of your enemy's guns, opening your mouth and putting on a forced grin saying "oh what a lovely tea party!"

In my meta that would almost be a good thing. My main opponent plays a DA drop pod army. Not as many vehicles in my meta as well. And yes, we play with far more terrain than I normally see on various battle reports. I am lost as to why people play it so sparsely. Actually rethinking again and going something very different. Thinking the loyalist character, Crimson path, vigilator, a few blobs, a recon squad, some apoths, the above vet squad. cortises, deredeo, levi and typhon.

The most fun I've had so far has been two Phobos filled with Inductii, a Spartan with Khârn, Gahlan and despoilers, and a Typhon. That's like 90% of the lists I've been using the last year.

It'd be super nice if we could get a 12 man capacity somehow, but at the very least, they've been stupid amounts of fun.

Edited by Flint13

^So much.

Stripping armor from APCs to make them easier to get out of is the most World Eater-y thing ever.

Who cares if they blow up more easily? The only thing your opponent would be doing by shooting them is disembarking your despoilers even faster.