The Fall Of Seraph - Histories of the IXth

JackDaw

They look lovely all together.

Are all of your 9th legion blondes though? S'the only thing I don't approve of tongue.png

To be fair to Jackdaw Flint, only of his three marines are unhelmeted and Dallo's bald as a baby. So for all we know Inariel and Hyro could be the only blondes and everyone else is brunet or raven-haired.

Weird thing is, in Horus Rising, Sanguinius is described as having Black Hair with a golden Filigree over it.

May or may not be truly Cannon but, hey, its there...

Afternoon gentlefolk :)

Some quick replies, then I should get back to some writing (also shhh, I'm making a new Dreadlord, but don't tell the mods).

Strongbow - Thanks man, much appreciated. I admit, sometimes I would like to just fling up pics and go "yay here's a squad", just purely ot cut the amount of work I give myself. But the day I do that is the day the hobby dies for me.

Marine7312000 - Thanks fella :)

Mr Bleak - I think a lot of people forget the tradegy of the Heresy, all the countless Astartes who died ignoble deaths, and that's what I'm trying to bring back. And chills is good, we like chills.

Brother Dallo - No worries man, happy to help. Your insight is always appreciated as well, so please keep commenting.

Flint13 - Thankee, they dont look half bad as a squad do they? :) Erm...maybe. I'll expand on that in a second.

SanguiniusReborn - I have reasons...honest.

The_Chaplain - I think of all the Legions, the Angels might only be second behind the Children in hair-dye requisition requests. The Ninth are just more classy.

Slipstreams - Yes, I noticed that as well, and I'm pretty sure he's described as blonde in Fear To Tread. Although, you can justify the black somewhat as I recall that he was also having tears of mourning painted on his cheeks at the time he was black-haired, so it's entirely possible that the hair colour was artificial and another sign of mourning. Little physical touches like that seem fit the tragic romantic aspect of Sanguinius I think.

So, the debate over hair colour.

Now, reading over the Index Astartes vol.2, it mentions that Baalite recruits are often a bit messed up due to the radiation, so withered, twisted, ugly. The opposite of the beautiful Angels they will become. It goes on to mention that once implanted with the gene-seed, they spend a year in a coffin before they emerge as glorious things of beauty, all teeth and cheekbones. I remember that the 2nd Edition Angels of Death codex spoke of something similar.

It's also established as canon that gene-seed can affect the physical appearance of Astartes, down to differences between Legions - see the Salamanders, or Curze's gene-seed turning even non-Nostromans into pale skinned, black haired, black eyed Astartes.

I personally like the idea that Sanguinius's gene-seed takes these rad-twisted specimens of humanity and elevates them to the beauteous standards of Angels, working physical changes on them all to a similar standard no matter how they looked before. Certain teeth become more pronounced, faces share a certain baseline similarity, and yes, hair does become golden.

But I also like the thought that some Angels change that colour through dyes or whatever, for their own reasons and personal view of beauty. The Angels are ephemeral enough for that, I think.

Besides, I like the contrast of that pale, almost golden-white hair against the deep crimson armour.

Also, you guys are awesome for getting me into an involved discussion about the hair colour of my Astartes.

Working on some Assault Astartes next, and some more backstory.

Jack.

woot.gif Yay, I'm appreciated.

Don't worry. I'll be kicking about. I'm looking forward to seeing some assault marines. Do you have a general theme for them yet? Will they be noble duelists, or just as bloodthirsty and violent as the VIIth? That raises an interesting question. Who is more violent/bloodthirsty: A marine fallen to the Thirst, or one given in to the Nails?

Personally, I think it would be nice to see the noble Angels dragged down to the level of brawling berserkers. A tragic reflection of the very thing they are fighting. That said, a paragon of noble righteousness kicking all kinds of World Eater posterior also has a certain je ne sais quoi, so I'm happy with either (or some other third option).

Dallo

Evening chaps, apologies for the long delay in updating - had some work come in that took priority and also the joy of IRL stuff going wrong. Fun times. Downside is I haven't made much progress on the Angels recently, though I have found some more bases so will be able to assemble some more once I get my next resin crack delivery. Incidentally, for those of you wondering how this all started, this article here goes into some detail. 

Brother Dallo - I have been giving the Assault Astartes some thought and at the moment I am leaning towards their inherent nobility being slowly chipped away by the constant war. There's no respite for them, and they will be at the sharp edge of things, so the barrier between them and the Rage is going to get thinner and thinner. I've always said that one of the things I wanted to show in this project was the Twelfth and the Ninth being mirrors of each other, one embracing rage while the other resists it. The Assault chaps will be a prime example of that. 

Flint13 - Obsessing over little background details like that is what I do :) I need help....

And as a parting gift, here's a wee shot of my WiP shelf:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20141028_201628_zpse450ad86.jpg

All kinds of wonder on there if you care to zoom in a little. 

More to come soon :)

Jack

Of the Blooded

“Veterans of the Ninth held as many names as they held victories. Collectively, across the Legion entire, they were the Choir, named for those agents of Celestial will. Seraph knew its veterans as the Blooded, those who had fought and bled for the Company, for the Legion, and had wrought ruin upon our foes. I could speak for days of their glories and still have not the breath to voice them all. Instead, I must speak only of their deaths, glorious as every one of them was.”

From Blood on the Steel: the lives of Seraph

Bastian Ortega, once named Icarium, of the IXth Legion Astartes.

*Image Codicium accessed: Visual cortex stimulation commencing
*Display: Legion Veterans, Seraph Company: Ref /The Blooded

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20141028_201818_zps9ec372d5.jpg

Legion Veteran Tolomy Ilenz, named Ramiel. KIA day 20 of the Fall

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20141028_201746_zpsefd7f01a.jpg

Legion Veteran Javier Marl, named Leliel. KIA day 20 of the Fall

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20141028_201722_zpsdc5c5c55.jpg

Legion Veteran Pollo Nymas, named Sandalphon. KIA day 20 of the Fall

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20141028_201853_zps0f3a4440.jpg

Legion Veteran Barrabas Arca, named Tabris. KIA day 20 of the Fall

*Image Codicium access released: Visual cortex stimulation ended

Sounds interesting. I'm guessing when you mention the Rage, that's not an explicit reference to the Black Rage, as unless I'm mistaken, it only manifests after Sanguinius' death. I'm curious about the narrator. Will we ever hear more about him, or is it his role to remain mysterious, and unassuming? Is he a legionary, or a serf/rembrancer?

Dallo

Evening chaps, and thanks for the raft of comments for me to reply to - always makes me happy.

1000Heathens - haha I think out of all the hardbacks I own, maybe 5 still have the dustjackets on. And I guess you liked what you saw next as well ;) Ramiel is pretty sweet, that pose worked out so well. Some poor Eater is gonna get axed a question.

Jeremy1391 - thanks man :)

DeathSpectreSgt7 - yeah, Tabris is probably my favourite vet so far, really happy with him.

Captain Nameless - I see what you mean, its the convex bottom line of the respirator, gives him a downward cast to the 'mouth'. He's got plenty to be sad about as well. 

Argent Aquila - thanks mate, glad the posing is working - the only issue with the Palatines is the bodies being single pieces, have to think very carefully about the posing and cut arms up quite a bit sometimes. 

The_Chaplain - I love that the armour of the Third looks better on the sons of the Ninth ;) The Palatines are great models, perfect for Blood Angels. With a bit of work, I think the Kakaphoni bodies would work as well. 

Toyship - thanks man, much appreciated. 

Flint13 - you knows it ;) Everything looks better as an Angel....

Barabbas Sogalon - thanks fella. Paint may be a while, got the Assault chaps to do first. But I am looking forward to painting them up. 

Nataneal - cheers fella, too kind. I think the borders and blueish tint on the WiP pics helps them stand out a bit and work as archival pics a bit more. All adds to the feel of the thread. 

Brother Dallo - see, it's an interesting thing now, the Rage. Before Black Library got involved, the Black Rage was always something caused by Sanguinius' death. In Fear To Tread though, it explicitly had the Rage in existence from the founding of the Legion. Initially I wasn't a fan of that, but I've come round it - I see it as an inherent flaw in the geneseed that only a very very very small number of Angels fall to, the rest are able to resist it entirely. The psychic shock of Sanguinius' death then weakens that resolve and iron control, resulting in more and more Angels falling to the Rage and the creation of the Death Companies. 

In regards to the narrator, Ortega will indeed appear at some point and you will learn more about him (he's already had a little cameo). I don't want to give away too much about him, but I will say that he did at one point have a name from the Choir.....

Daemon2027 - always happy to hear I've inspired someone mate, specially if you are having a low point hobby wise. More to come :)

And a little update on where things stand currently: the first 5 Assault Astartes are mid-paint, with the three base layers done (granite, mechrite, blood) so it's the red highlighting next for them. I have decided to cut the squad size down from 15 to 10 for two reasons - firstly I'm not too worried about gaming with them all that much so hitting a certain points limit for an army list isnt an issue. Secondly, I don't want to burn myself out on them - 10 Assault, 10 Breachers and 10 Vets is more than enough Astartes to do. 

I also got a nice little supply package of Destroyers last night as well, so while reds were drying tonight, I knocked up a quick tester for the Breachers. C'est la:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20141030_200754_zps830f80d9.jpg

Shield needs a little repositioning, but overall....yes. 

Will update soon as I can guys, got some writing work that needs doing and I need to watch the season-opener of something based on my all-time favourite comic and fictional character ever. 

Cheers again,

Jack

Intriguing. I'll keep an eye out then. Do you plan on making them as Destroyers or just for kitbashing? I have to say, I like the concept of BA Destroyers. Hailing from Baal, they probably have a healthy respect for the power of such weaponry, though I can imagine opinion on utilizing them within the IX would be divided, with one side citing the clear power of biological weapons, and the other unwilling to unleash the horrors that befell their homeworld upon humanity (though the filthy xenos are of course fair game) Just another juxtaposition of inherent nobility and necessary evil. 

I get that you are trying to get a different, BA feel for the breachers, but I feel that the breacher shields are pretty iconic. That said, I'm curious to see where you go with these guys.

Keep up the good work sir

Dallo

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20141028_201818_zps9ec372d5.jpg

Legion Veteran Tolomy Ilenz, named Ramiel. KIA day 20 of the Fall

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20141028_201746_zpsefd7f01a.jpg

Legion Veteran Javier Marl, named Leliel. KIA day 20 of the Fall

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20141028_201722_zpsdc5c5c55.jpg

Legion Veteran Pollo Nymas, named Sandalphon. KIA day 20 of the Fall

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20141028_201853_zps0f3a4440.jpg

Legion Veteran Barrabas Arca, named Tabris. KIA day 20 of the Fall

What more can I say about these amazing guys that both myself and others haven't already said before? I've run out of words with which to praise your work with Jackdaw, so please, just keep doing what you're doing. happy.png

Out of these four I think Sandalphon and Tabris stand out the most to me, Sandalphon for the details like his respirator (Captain Nameless is right, it does seem to make him appear fittingly sorrowful), the converted chest insignia, the bionic arm and his sense of motion. Tabris for the sense of action he evokes with his censored.gif -huge Chainsword (I really reallly want one), the slashing pose and the emotion in his expression.

I also like the little pelt on his pauldron, will you be painting it like Leopard print? I did that for the cloak of a Devastator Sergeant of mine as a nod to the old artwork of Sanguinius wearing a Leopard pelt and it looked awesome. :)

I also got a nice little supply package of Destroyers last night as well, so while reds were drying tonight, I knocked up a quick tester for the Breachers. C'est la:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20141030_200754_zps830f80d9.jpg

Yes! I was hoping you'd go with the Mk.4 Destroyer as a base for your Breachers, that reinforced armour just work so well with it's solid look. The circular Hoplite-esque shields looks very unique compared to normal Breachers and fits the Blood Angels' classical aesthetic. biggrin.png

Archived