The Fall Of Seraph - Histories of the IXth

JackDaw

I am inspired by the subtlety of your work. The pieces fit together with a wonderful symmetry and are harmonious in their aesthetic.

That being said- he's an arse kicker for sure... And he's a true sangunist, look at that beautiful hair;)

Great use of the EC breastplate!

Raziel looks rather swish. I like the death mask a great deal. My only gripe is in the shoulder pads. One is swept up, and one swept down. The lack of symmetry really affects the model, I think. One or the other would be fine!

Happy Christmas! I will be emailing you soon, my connection has been very spotty.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, and welcome to 2015. Feels exactly the damn same as 2014 doesn't it? Good times....

So, thanks for all your responses to Vale - i was pretty damn happy with how he turned out, so its good to know my hobby-fu isn't off kilter. In other progress, the assault chaps are just needing the gold, white detailing and bases done, so won't be too much longer. After them I'll be working on the 4 Veterans I have assembled to bring that up to a 5 man combat team. Then Vale as a treat.

Once Seraph are done, I'll probably be moving onto an VIIIth Legion Kill-team of sorts, and then some =][=28 action which may or may not get posted up here depending on whether its allowed or not.

Brother Dallo - backpack is spot-on, the torso and legs are a single piece from the Palatine Blade set. That squad set is easily my favourite marine thing FW have released.

DimDim - yeah, that's the one. And thanks man, glad to hear you like it.

TerraZero20 - glad to have you along for the ride fella :)

Slipstreams - those Palatine pieces are amazing, perfect for the Ninth. That sgt torso is just so much more elegant than the tubby mk3 Praetor.

Marshal Rohr - haha thanks man, your silence was appreciated ;) By the by, that Ninth Legionnaire you converted up - lovely. More please. I was pleased with the sword conversion - its so subtle, I think most people miss it first time round.

Lionofjudah - thanks man, much appreciated. I think subtlety is the key with HH stuff, they shouldnt be as baroque as their 40k counterparts. Then its just a case of making sure everything works together and looks like a cohesive whole, whether its a model or a unit. His hair is lovely, but its part of the helm itself - the whole head is a deathmask sans the halo.

Commissar Molotov - had another look at him and you were right, that pad did unbalance him. It's been replaced with a matching upswept pad now and the flow of the mini is a lot better. My only bugbear, and its one that was true with the older pad in place as well, is that he has too many wings on him now. There's 8 altogether (10 if you want to count the tiny tiny pair on a honour marking on his thigh), which is 2 too many for a Seraphim. The fluff purist in me wants to fill in the wings surrounding the crying face on the breastplate so that it becomes just a wreathed face, and the surround is left as reinforced chest armour. That also fits with his role as Company Champion, and gives a bit more space for the red armour, cutting down on the bling of the gold. The more I look at him, the more I think that is the way to go - strip back some of the baroque, move him visually a bit further from the Third Legion.

Right, back to the grindstone for me. One BL submission option is done and just needs some polish, but i want to work up an alternative, just in case. Oh, and there's all these dead Angels I need to sort out.

Evening everone :)

Jack

Evening chaps and chappesses, hows tricks?

Salvation of Reason - hah, tricky one. Technically, Icarium will not be getting a model. Ortega however, will be getting two. Well, one for certain, and one that is......kinda him as well. It'll make sense, honest. And if you know Icarium, you know none of his companions are gonna live ;)

Candleshoes - thanks man, greenstuff isnt my strong point, so I'm so happy his hair turned out that well. I need to get along to a sculpting class or something I think.

Marshal Rohr - I'll see what I can do mate :)

My mix of gs tends to have a touch more yellow in than blue, makes it a bit more pliant I think.

I use a sculpting tool to scrape off a small scrap from the main mass, doesnt have to be much, then roll it out into a thin sausage - you want something about 5mm long and about a mm thick if that makes sense?

Wet tool, wet fingers - some say use vaseline, I use spit becuase I'm old-school and hygenic as all hell - gently poke the tiny worm of gs and pop it in place.

Flatten one end into the scalp, then use the tip of the tool to move the other end around into the desired position. I started with one right in the middle of the head and then alternated sides to keep a base symmetry. Keep the tool wet and it should be easy enough to layer the strands over each other if you want.

Once the fringe is sorted, scrape off a few similar size scraps for the back of the head - instead of making strands, you want to flatten these out and layer them over each other and the backs of the strands to build up the back of the head.

Two options then - you can use the tool to add some texture after half an hour or so, so it looks like hair, or do what I did and smooth it over so it looks like the back of a helm.

Hope that helps mate.

Commissar Molotov - shaved down the wings, greenstuffed over them so they look like reinforced plates rather than pinions. Nicely balances him I think, and it's going to break up the gold on the shoulders and chest a bit as well, which is a good thing. Moves him away from the blinged up 40k Angels as well.

Jimbo13 - ah thanks mate, very kind of you to say so. Raziel went through a number of incarnations until I found something that fitted the character I had in my head, glad he echoes Sanguinius though, he should do as a champion of the Ninth.

Good news - the Assault Astartes are all done.

Bad news - I need to sort their pics out and do the fluff. Was hoping to get them up tonight, but that might not happen now....

On the plus side, I have finished off my submission for the Black Library. Need to send that in. And maybe do another. 

Cheers all

Jack

Their Fathers Wrath

"From the lightning in the sky

As it pass’d me flying by—

From the thunder, and the storm—

And the cloud that took the form

(When the rest of Heaven was blue)

Of a demon in my view—"

Fragment from the lost Pre-Unification works of Edal Len’Po, circa late M1.

"Leopard-5 were ever at the front of our war, throwing themselves against the worst the enemy had to offer. Rare was the foe that stood against them, that held against their blades and flames and wrath. The Eaters were rare. Of course they were, it was like fighting yourself. Civilisation is stripped away so quickly when the only way to kill your foe is with your hands..."

From Blood on the Steel: the lives of Seraph

Bastian Ortega, once named Icarium, of the IXth Legion Astartes.

*Display: Combat squad Beta, Leopard-5 Assault of Seraph Company, IXth Legion Astartes

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150108_152753_zps048f3de4.jpg

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150108_152524_zpsc59294d0.jpg

Eloh was a simple warrior, at least as simple as any of us post-humans can be. He harboured no ambitions for command or for glory past that of serving our Father and the Emperor. When he died, rent apart by heavy bolter fire, he felt only a vague disappointment that it was another Astartes that killed him. I do not think that he ever truly believed that the Heresy was real, was happening, that our brother Legions could turn on us so. In that, he was an idealistic fool.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150108_152442_zpsb4cd70f2.jpg

As he died alongside Eloh, Kalen could not have been more of a contrast. Spitting blood, limbs shattered and weapons lost, his anger was palpable even long after he passed. Kalen never cared for artifice, for art or for physical beauty - he saw beauty and art in the spilling of blood, in the myriad ways he could bring retribution to the enemies of the Imperium. He died angry.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150108_152501_zps027116e0.jpg

Macin was one of the few of Seraph who liked me and therefore I counted as a friend, perhaps due to his latent potential. Never enough to justify training and of course ignored entirely following the Edict, Lem Macin was unusually sensitive for an Astartes, able to just barely sense a foes intentions and use it against them. He was a consummate swordsman as a result and I mourn his passing under the blades of the Eaters.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150108_152425_zps9c0b3497.jpg

There is a rage in all of us, buried deep within. Signus unlocked it and exposed it, to our horror and shame. Some though, some of us were not ashamed. Some saw the Rage as something to be embraced and praised, a strength that we could draw on. Julo was.... worrying. When he died, duelling an Eater Consul, matching him blow for blow, he was slipping into the Rage. By choice. It is good that he fell, good for the soul of the Legion.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150108_152350_zps698767d4.jpg

Matias, the Lamentable. Punishment is rare amongst the Ninth, we are not the raucous Rout or the vicious and cruel Eighth, but sometimes infractions occur and must be dealt with. Matias earned his name through repeated infractions that blighted his record and prevented his advance to Paragon. Years spent in the Destroyer units, wielding those unhallowed weapons, were a waste of his potential - a lamentable waste. Still, his return to Seraph and Leopard-5 and his affinity with flamer weaponry added to their strength. What new world awaits us when the wanton destruction of the Destroyers is a blessing in our wars?

Nominatio Angelus

To outsiders, the names and ranks of our Legion can seem confusing and deliberately convoluted. I believe this is the same for other Legions as well - we all have our little idiosyncrasies and petty rituals that we follow to make ourselves special. For the Ninth, things were as follows:

An Astartes had his own name, given to him at birth. When he joined our ranks, he could if he wanted, choose a new name symbolic of his rebirth. If he proved himself and was raised to the ranks of our Veterans, he was known as an Exalted and was given a new name, one chosen from the Angelic Choir.

Thus: Khitas Vale, named Raziel of the Exalted. Person, rank and title, all together. Other names and titles were earned as honours or signs of favour from our commanders and comrades.

On occasion, names were also lost, stripped away. Icarium, for one.

*Image codicium access revoked: Visual cortex showing stress markers

Wow.

Just, wow.

The models are great. But the background just amazes me. A sorrowful choir indeed! Looking forward to see how the rest of the Angels fall, and how Icarium survives.

Nice painting. Your restrained and considered use of freehand helps set the paintwork off, while adding some personal touches. Keeping hte heraldry down also lets the main part of the uniform – the red plate – take centre stage. It almost goes without saying that I love the background, but always nice to give praise where deserved so richly! :)

Evening chaps and chappesses, hope you are all good.

Quick post now with some replies and Wip news, then hopefully another post later on tonight showing off the full glory of Leopard-5.

Kobrakei - Thanks man, glad the fluff is going down well. Sorrow is what I wanted to get across more than anything else. Icarium's fate will probably be the last piece of all to be told.

Flint13 - Yeah those Destroyer helms are my new favourites, they are the sex. Any Astartes project I do in the future, Heresy or 40K, is gonna have to have some of those fellas in.

Brother Dallo - ......maybe, maybe. If he was, he's kinda not during the Fall and definitely isn't afterwards.

Thrillhouse - Ah thanks man, very kind of you to say so. I don't think I do anything too special to be honest, there's far better painters and converters out there than me.

Apologist - Much appreciated fella, I was debating adding the freehand but it did need something to break up the red a bit. Freehand is one of the things i need to work on, but I think it's going well so far. And yeah, that red plate - man, I was so dubious about painting that much red as I normal work with a much colder bleaker pallette, but I am so happy with how it is turning out.

Argent Aquila - The Heresy ones have grown on me a little, but I still think they look a bit weird. I wish I'd done a few more elevated ones now, Matias looks great and it does give the unit something extra visually.

So, progress. Working on the next four Veterans at the moment - as Afio is already done, this will bring it them to the combat squad level. Pic upcoming, but since it was taken I have finished the red plate entirely.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/7425b162-2a27-4843-96cb-5258f32b6e11_zps023a2687.jpg

The last 5 of these Veterans will include a Vexillary and a grizzled sgt based off the Praetor model - incidentally, if anyone knows where I can get hold of a single bionic left leg and some bionics arms, that would be peachy smile.png

Also, I tweaked Raziel a bit, as discussed earlier in the thread. New right pauldron and shaved and gs'd the wings on the chestplate into reinforced armour. You can also get a lovely view of my amateur gs hair, awesome:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150110_114620_zps4f22d24a.jpg

Not much left ot go after that to be honest, just another character, 15 more Astartes, 5 jetbikes and the Lazarene.

Ooops. Didn't mean to say that....

Your answer intruiges me sir.

In terms of bionic arms, the two that spring to mind are the blood angel thunder hammer wielding bottom hand, and the chainsword arm from the space marine captain box. Both are left hands, if memory serves me correctly. You could also look into the fine cast iron hands upgrade bits GW do (or did do), I believe that there is a bionic leg, though I'm not sure which it is. I believe there is a chap in one of the forgeworld Iron Hands with a metal foot, if that would work.

Hope this helps.

Dallo

Excellent stuff here. As for a bionic leg, beyond everything else that's been said, you could look at the Ultramarines Tyrannic War Veterans. Quite a nice and unique bionic leg in there (and I'd split the set with you if you wanted!) 

Quite like what you've done with Raziel's chestplate, though from the picture it looks a little uneven - not sure about that. 

I have some more stuff to send you when I get a chance, by the way! 

Quick replies :)

Brother Dallo - Intrigue is good, we like that. I clocked those two pieces and I do have the commander arm set aside. My only slight issue is that I've already used that arm on one of the other Vets and I'd feel a little awkward about using it again in the same squad. The FW pieces would be a better shout, think I'll have to keep an eye on eBay for them.

LionOfJudah - Sounds like I need to keep an eye out for them as well then, cheers man. And honestly, Raziel's hair isn't that good I don't think. Looks way better at arms length ;)

Commissar Molotov - Thanks mate :) The chestplate might look a bit uneven thanks to the overhang of the left pauldron - essentially the shape of the wings is there on each side, but with the pinions shaved down and the sections filled over with gs. I'll go back and add another thin layer of liquid gs to try and ensure its even. I'll keep the War Vets in mind, I'd forgotten how ace some of those chaps are. And sweet, will look forward to seeing stuff :) I should be seeing Fabricator General on Wednesday for our weekly Warbasterds night so will poke him about the Castigators.

Slipstreams - I had mate, but the miserly Welshman in me begrudges spending that much on postage for a leg and an arm and a load of bits I won't use ;)

Kizzdougs - Thanks man, much appreciated. Raziel is up next after the vets, so you won't have too long to wait.

Thanks for all your comments folks, more to come in a bit :)

Archived