The Legion for you... Community Assistance Thread

Hyaenidae

As I just said in my pm, allies ;) pre heresy they were really close so it works fluff wise.

I've chosen now, I'm going SoH. And then later I can make allied detachments of other legions I want to try, like the WB and NL.

Look, I wouldn't be a proper son of Dorn if I didn't put in a good word for the VIIth Legion now would I?

So, Frostmourne, you said you wanted heroic / epic feel to the force your choosing? Well, one word for you : SIGISMUND. Arguably one of THE most badass Space Marines to ever live without being a Mary Sue.

He's also the First Captain and in charge of the Templars of the Imperial Fists. So much like the EC, they're all about honour and martial perfection but unlike the EC, have practised (at least in Sigismund's case) with the World Eaters.

Though the Templar have no models, they are one of the best (imo) CC Elites (troops with Sigismund) in 30k right now.

Paint scheme wise, there are a lot of interesting variations on the IF, such as the mostly black that you can see in Extermination (pictures of it on the FW preview of the book), the Unification Era predominantly steel / Gray with Yellow arm, etc.

But no matter which Legion you choose, if you ever start getting tired of the paint scheme, think up variations. Hell, ask for help from us here on the forums and we'd be more than happy to help you brainstorm. This is 30k, never limit yourself to whats on paper, its expected of you to do your own variations (if you want) to better personalise your force.

Rules wise, IF have one of the better rule sets, along with the IH and others. 

Having done a pretty thorough look arounf the interwebs for inspiration, i literally still dont think that Iron Hands LOOK good. I know they can, and i know people have made them look incredible, but i just dont have that skill.

You're so right about Fists, i have just been having a look at them actually, and Sigismund is just so awesome its difficult to believe. And the difference in Paint Schemes you can do is amazing. But i am confused, with their RoW, do you HAVE to field two units of the breacher lads as your minimum troops?

Wel thats not a bad thing i suppose. And Different at least!

And they do have the "Flourish" that is definitely lacking in IH that i want. But also have the badass rules.

Might have to kitbash my own Sigismund until the real model, or make another Praetor.

I really like breacher marines in terms of looks too. Might get some for my SoH down the line, even though they're not the best rules wise. I think you should go with the Fists brother :)

Frost, you can paint the figures any way you want to. If you really like the rules for the Iron Hands, then go with them and make up your own little fluff about why they're not painted black.

The best example of an official alt scheme I've seen yet is this IF from Extermination:

http://i.imgur.com/nw7lmof.png?1

Without the VII on the right shoulder, this could damn near be an Iron Warrior with some yellow squad or company markings. Don't let something as simple as a paint job - and I know black can be a pain to make it look good - deter you from playing a Legion you seem to have a lot of interest in.

Have you seen the studio paint job for the Gorgon termies?

http://i.imgur.com/gl8FFWs.jpg?1

It's almost a dark auburn-brown/olive drab mix.

I'm painting up my VIII Legion with faded, weathered armor that's a pale blue color instead of their traditional deep navy color.

http://i.imgur.com/eFqrObW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2bAbm50.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vazs8ph.jpg

The point of this whole thread, and what me, 1000Heathens, and others have been saying for months now is that the Legions are flexible! Don't want to paint a whole army in black? Choose another color! The Legions were vast and the Great Crusade/Heresy spanned centuries, so there's plenty of room to make your Legion your own and no one can point a finger at you and say They didn't do that!

Me personally, I wouldn't mind seeing another X Legion army around here because there's not a whole lot to begin with, and even more so if it's painted in something other than black.

Bam. Exactly. BCK nailed it so perfectly, I could't say it better myself.

My Iron Warriors may be 'classic' looking, but my Iconoclasts will be ash grey streaked with charred black, instead of the classic granite. My XX Legion cell will be a grey so dark, it's nearly black, with painted white chains wrapping their armour.

Go nuts. Be different. Create insane fluff.

Just please don't think that you have to paint pure yellow, because "Imperial Fist".

To expand upon Kage's point :

If you ever wanted to do a variant scheme but were unable to come up with anything suitable to your tastes, use 40k. These Legions (barring Salamanders) all have successors who come in all the different colors of the rainbow. If you wanted to make a Legio X force but wanted to paint green, why not a precursor to the Sons Of Medusa Chapter? Want to still have some a mainly black scheme with some color for variation? Take inspiration from the Iron Lords. The possibilities are nigh on endless. 

Sure I might harp on about the Imperial Fists and you might actually want to make a force of them but if you ever get tired of painting yellow, do the above but with IF successors. Want to paint some gold? Celestial Lions. Silver? Iron Knights, etc.

We'll probably repeat this a thousand times but it's the crux - the focal point - of 30k : Never limit yourself with was has been pre-established. Do what feels right for you and you'll find a way to make it work. This is very important because the more personal a project, the more likely you'll see it through. If you do a Legion every so slightly half heartedly, with the amount of time and money your likely to put into 30k, it'd be a real shame for you to just taper off and never finish.

anyways off to bed!

Yep. Iron Hand of the Morgaull Clan (probably just butchered that name...), eventually to become the Red Talons:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131105155901/warhammer40k/images/a/a2/IH_Legion_Devastator.png

Hmm. Certainly something to think about.

I do love the rules for both Legions and love both their fluff. Dorn is a bit of let down rules wise. But IF in general is better to make an army of. ATM.

I'm liking the idea of an Iron Hands clan that still has a little Terran Flourish; with the classical references and maybe some spot colour on the armour. We'll see.

Dorn might not be the most amazing Primarch, but he does offer up some lovely Legion-wide rules. Plus, his army makes up for it and Sigismund is easily the hardest non-Primarch character.

I think you can spend forever going back and forth (now starting to see what I put my best mate through hahaha), so don't rush the choice. Try a few tester minis on some old marines. It's alright going for rules, but there's no point choosing your favourite fluff or the best rules if you're going to hate every minute of painting them

Dorn might not be the most amazing Primarch, but he does offer up some lovely Legion-wide rules. Plus, his army makes up for it and Sigismund is easily the hardest non-Primarch character.

I think you can spend forever going back and forth (now starting to see what I put my best mate through hahaha), so don't rush the choice. Try a few tester minis on some old marines. It's alright going for rules, but there's no point choosing your favourite fluff or the best rules if you're going to hate every minute of painting them

Very true, Sigismund is easily the best character, he is amazing.

Again, try hard to ignore the Primarchs as you choose. If your army cannot function without a god made flesh on the field, you're in for a world of hurt.

I think youre right. I should ignore them,

In terms of Fluff its the Ultramarines, Imperial Fists, Pre Heresy EC and Blood Angels that i love the most, but can only seem me using the first two really, maybe allied detachments of the others at a later date.

My friends and I recently started with the Heresy and I had the same problem as alot of people in this thread: which legion do I choose. So I narrowed it down, but there were still many choices left. So our gaming group decided to take a different approach toward the Heresy: Zone Mortalis!

In Extermination, there are new rules for void warfare and also again for the ZM games, and the armies are laid out for 500-1000 points with a slightly different FOC. So now we are doing a small starter army, which we can expand at will or not :)

For me, for example, are the Word Bearers the first legion I am painting up. I haven't read much about them, but I like their fluff from the HH book, and I just love!! the Gal Vorbak models. Those sold me the WB for a small army. But since I'm just doing 750 points on them, and I know it will probably end there, my resources don't get tied up and I can start with the next little project (probably Blood Angels, because they are awesome, or Ultramarines, because I like the color blue).

Maybe some of you will find this helpful, just narrow it down to your favourite legions, and if you can't decide between them like me, follow my motto: If you can't decide, do both :D

A small warband looks cool and the ZM games are lots of fun, and if you like how the army plays on the board, then expand.

Archived