The Legion for you... Community Assistance Thread

Hyaenidae

Hello all,

i have been thinking about 30k for a long time. Everybody is always so positive about the ruleset, and well... Primarchs, nuff said.

Now i have finally reached a point where i can start a new project, and for this project i want to put painting and Rule of Cool, before competiveness (altough i will still max as far i can within my own set of limitations). But i have some reservations about starting 30k, and choosing a legion. 

My local environment does not do 30k (yet!). So whatever legion i choose (if i choose to go 30k), needs to be able to be played as a 40k army. Just so i can still bring it to 40k games, in the case nobody feels like picking up 30k alongside me. Would be a bummer to put this huge amount of time and resources into an army that i can rarely if ever play with!

I'm thinking on several legions that have had my fancy for a while.

Ultramarines: Possibly my least favorite in the HH series, but i like painting blue and i really love Guilliman. I'm one of those weirdos! But having read trough this thread, basing it purely on Primarchs might not be the best idea! I do however like their way of fighting, even though i'm not agreeing much with the HH series representation (nor am i with the 40k version.. but alas).

Iron Warriors: This is my 40k Chaos Army. I like painting them, and have become better at painting them since i started with them. Fluff wise i'm not the biggest fan of them. Altough Perturabo has a soft spot. So Primarch and Colours (aswell as potential in models from FW  later on). 

Night Lords: My dream for a 40k army. I love their fluff both in the HH series, Love Sevetar, love Curze, and love their colour scheme (in 40k)! And here is why i dont throw myself into it immidietly. I love them in 40k. I'm one of the weirdos that likes the occasional big batwings and the more pronounced lightning effects (altough not spammed). But ihave no real idea on how they look in a 30k army. I've read they are supposed to have skull masks.. which on top of the lightning can get very tedious painting wise. I'm also not sure about how the lightning is supposed to look in 30k, is it more painted on, or is it still actual lightning? etc. And as what can i run them in a 40k setting? 

I would love to go Night Lords, but i feel Iron Warriors might be the saver choice.. Altough i think, that if i dont go Night Lords, i will always feel something nagging! 

Incinerator950, you could do Word Bearers who are led by a captain and don't really preach. They op could be like templars (the real ones, not the Imperial Fist ones), and they let their bolters do the preaching.

Hellrender, I think Night Lords would be best, you said they were your dream army, and while you have some reservations, the fact you are thinking that much into says to me, you want to do it, you just want to do it right. Now, I wouldn't usually post to another site but check out these Night Lords, subtle lightening, and further in he started to add bat wings and other terror markings:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?288274-Leoparden-s-Imperial-Addiction/page18

I thought about that, one of my goals is tying into a 40k Warband led by a Prophet Lord who is Possessed, but in a way I don't want to mix with heresy unless it's something familiar, and if a few people barely play 40k here, I doubt anyone will play heresy.

Iconoclasts, are they of that variety? Or are they the purify the non believer sort? I don't really like reading BL and the HH codex I read, I focused on the Iron Warriors more.

Do people recommend getting the resin shoulder pads in place of transfers? With all my 40k transfers I've saved up over the years, I could easily use those for a fairly large army and save on the shoulder pads...but on the other hand, the pads seem easier to work with and just look better. What do you veterans recommend?

The thing with Legion Specific shoulder pads is they'll always be for that Legion. With transfers, you have the option of stripping everything off and starting over.

True, they give you more detail to work with and make the Miniature stand out rather than having a flat graphic on a flat surface. Also saves you the trouble of freehanding if your not so confident in your skill.

In the end its up to you; are you firmly locked into your legion choice and sure - beyond the shadow of a doubt - that you'll stick with that legion? Or do you think you'll change your mind and end up regretting the purchase (these aren't exactly cheap, mind you)?

you could do multi-legion projects, that's not the problem. The problem is regretting your choice and wanting to go back and chose another.

Oh I'm locked on the Salamanders - they've been my first love in warhammer since the 3rd war for armageddon codex. Never attempted an army of them in 40k, but my DIY is a successor. 30k is the perfect chance for me to fulfill a long-time dream of an army of them.

I'll also be getting an allied force of Blood Angels - love their 30k fluff - which will be themed around the Siege of Terra, but Salamanders will be my main army.

Well, then, next step : Do you like the raised Legion markings on the Shoulder pads ( there's also a Head and Torso upgrade...)? If you do and have the spare income, then go for it. You have 4 choices for standard marines and one for terminators (can't use the Crux Terminatus though!) as well as having Firedrakes, Pyroclast, Venerable Box Dread, Contemptor and VULKAN. All of those being at your disposal to use in any way you see fit in bringing about your Legion force.

I thought about that, one of my goals is tying into a 40k Warband led by a Prophet Lord who is Possessed, but in a way I don't want to mix with heresy unless it's something familiar, and if a few people barely play 40k here, I doubt anyone will play heresy.

Iconoclasts, are they of that variety? Or are they the purify the non believer sort? I don't really like reading BL and the HH codex I read, I focused on the Iron Warriors more.

The Iconoclasts of the XVII Legion during Unification were atheists, the Emperor's final decree when a society were considered irredeemable due to their religion. Imagine Fahrenheit 451 in the 31st Millennium. Burn it all, the books, the priests, the churches, the temples. Anything that did not conform to the harsh scientific proof of the Imperial Truth was put to the torch.

They basically ceased to exist in this form after Lorgar took over, and led them into worship of the God-Emperor.

I found my Legion :-) an Alpha Legion Heavy Arms force, consisting of lots of mk III armour, breachers, heavy tanks etc., Very happy with my scheme now it's on more than one mini. This thread was ever so useful, thanks chaps!

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag332/liam_harrison2/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps316036b7.jpg

OOOOOOrrrrrrr..... Unification era Imperial Helads. Fire is bright, and fire is clean.

Also, Yo! Furioso! Where you been, dude?

Damn it I want to say that!!!!

My brother prime god I've missed you!!!!!

And hello to you too as well. my life has taken a transition again. I moved up to just a tiny bit south of the Arctic circle for a position in a regional EMS clinic.....kinda like my army job with way more responsibility.

so my hobby is a little slower right now, but I figure that give me time to really hash out my fluff...msn-wink.gif

I found my Legion :-) an Alpha Legion Heavy Arms force, consisting of lots of mk III armour, breachers, heavy tanks etc., Very happy with my scheme now it's on more than one mini. This thread was ever so useful, thanks chaps!

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag332/liam_harrison2/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps316036b7.jpg

Diggin the staturated dark blue color

Yeah I'm actually really feeling the unification grey scheme. Maybe I'll base my core force around the uni-grey (real word....I swear!) And my two other detachments could be in IF yellow?

Yes, yes that might work nicely. Now I just need a butt-load of charnable-sabres for my CAV guys...

Archived