++ The Dark Council - A Word Bearers Community ++

Yep. It's basically the Word Bearers' modern scheme, with black helmets, backpack exhausts and gauntlets. It doesn't quite jive with the rest of your army I think, but painting them with brass trim may end up making them look too similar as sfPanzer pointed out.

Edited by AHorriblePerson

It depends on the colour of your red and silver, if it's light or dark

You could do the whole pad of one shoulder in brass, I reckon that'll be alot more distinctive but still clearly WB

At the end of the day it's a bit of an awkward colour scheme but it's down to what you think fits

It depends on the colour of your red and silver, if it's light or dark

You could do the whole pad of one shoulder in brass, I reckon that'll be alot more distinctive but still clearly WB

At the end of the day it's a bit of an awkward colour scheme but it's down to what you think fits

I'm planning on going the iconic Word Bearers: Dark red (Khorne red, Nuln recess, Wazdakka highlight) armour, black shoulder pads and bright silver trim (Leadbelcher, Ironbreaker, Nuln, Stormhost).

However, I just realized: I've got the Forge World 40k World Eaters upgrade pack coming in. I could just use the Khorne symbol shoulder pads on the Word Bearers who have the Mark of Khorne, which'd allow me to use the Brass recipe there :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I just painted the front of the helms bone for my Khornate Word Bearers.

Could have them all with bare heads and ritual scarification or the mark of Khorne cut into their faces. Or write something on their armour in chaos runes relating to blood and murder.

I just painted the front of the helms bone for my Khornate Word Bearers.

Could have them all with bare heads and ritual scarification or the mark of Khorne cut into their faces. Or write something on their armour in chaos runes relating to blood and murder.

That's an interesting idea.

And I do like my bald angry shouty guys amongst my Chaos marines.... :lol:

Well.... My first Word Bearer has taken shape.

4EfuSvc.jpg

A sorcerer no less.

Though, he's looking quite like a member of the Thousand Sons with his bits, but hopefully the paintjob will make it obvious which Legion this Bearer of the Word is from. I am thinking of potentially swapping the head for a different one though.

EDIT:

I have indeed updated the head and sword. Much better now:
52nCPTA.jpg

Edited by Gederas

What's your Warband's lore?

From my WIP thread:

The idea with the Word Bearers is that they were a sect that fought alongside the World Eaters in several engagements during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy, including the Shadow Crusade. The leader of this group is not yet currently solidified in my thoughts, but I'm already getting some ideas with this Sorcerer. These Word Bearers are masters of Daemonology, which helps my World Eaters, specifically Khrogar and Alaz'batyr, as they're both workers of the forges that keeps my World Eaters' war engines running.

Need to come up with the Cult/Warband's name and all that.

Additionally, this is what that Sorcerer looks like until I prime him:

6Vp84wZ.jpg

Anyone else planning on making a Word Bearers deamonkin warband? I think the new rules for a possessed/daemon engines army just screams Word Bearers, and I have a fair amount of possessed and daemon engines already so it won't be too much of a jump to forge them into a new warband. Still waiting to see how the rules turn out and what new models are waiting to be revealed before I take the dive though. 

Anyone else planning on making a Word Bearers deamonkin warband? I think the new rules for a possessed/daemon engines army just screams Word Bearers, and I have a fair amount of possessed and daemon engines already so it won't be too much of a jump to forge them into a new warband. Still waiting to see how the rules turn out and what new models are waiting to be revealed before I take the dive though. 

Eyup. I've already got a Sorcerer in the works, so this release is perfect for me :lol:

Yeah definetly gonna want a sorcerer/master of possession to lead the force. Until we see all the new stuff coming out I'll probably be working on finishing up my maulerfiends/forgefiend that have been unfinished for far too long. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else planning on making a Word Bearers deamonkin warband?

I do have sizable forces of Death Guard and Thousand Sons, but these new models made me indeed reconsider my ideas for Word Bearers.

The character prominently features burning skulls - how much more Word Bearers can you get outside of a dedicated Dark Apostle? Possibly being in the minority here, but I love the current Possessed kit, so the Greater Possessed are some lovely icing on the half-daemonic cake for me. The Venomcrawler is a great model too, and the rest is an awesome reimagining of existing stuff.

That, plus the other remakes, is just too much for me to resist. My only regret is not being able to use Abaddon...

Anyone else planning on making a Word Bearers deamonkin warband?

I do have sizable forces of Death Guard and Thousand Sons, but these new models made me indeed reconsider my ideas for Word Bearers.

The character prominently features burning skulls - how much more Word Bearers can you get outside of a dedicated Dark Apostle? Possibly being in the minority here, but I love the current Possessed kit, so the Greater Possessed are some lovely icing on the half-daemonic cake for me. The Venomcrawler is a great model too, and the rest is an awesome reimagining of existing stuff.

That, plus the other remakes, is just too much for me to resist. My only regret is not being able to use Abaddon...

My only complaint about the current possessed kit is that it suffers from the same issue as the Berzerkers kit:

It is OLD. And, despite having a TON of awesome bits, the resulting models are less than the sum of their parts. For example, four of my Greater Possessed are being kitbashed using the current Possessed kit. Every one in this image, barring the one on the left, has been modified using the Possessed kit:

oAKGw7f.jpg

Putting Possessed bits on other models adds a nice amount of daemonic gribbly-ness to them, and makes even the same Greater Possessed look different than each other.

My issue is the current possessed kit has:

- Wonky proportions

- Full-on DERP looks

- the resulting models don't look as good as what their parts tell you

It's the reason why I'm planning on buying that kit for the bits, not for the models. 33 bucks for a box of really nice gribbly bits? And I can get that at a 20% discount through my FLGS? Yes please :laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

What are your opinions on doing plasma coils and power weapons on Word Bearers in the orange tones the GW studio has used for Chaos lately? I like using plasma and power weapons to tie armies' pallettes together, but I'm not sure the orange would make a good complement to the sacred dried-gore red. On the other hand, WB red is pretty dark, so I could still see a bright hellfire orange working.

What are your opinions on doing plasma coils and power weapons on Word Bearers in the orange tones the GW studio has used for Chaos lately? I like using plasma and power weapons to tie armies' pallettes together, but I'm not sure the orange would make a good complement to the sacred dried-gore red. On the other hand, WB red is pretty dark, so I could still see a bright hellfire orange working.

I prefer to work with contrasting colours, so the regular green or blue works perfectly for WB in my opinion. Done right orange could look well too. In the end it comes down to what you prefer to look at.

I'm with Darnok and the others on contrasting colours.  Orange would look really nice if your models were blue, dark purple, or black - but I suspect a higher contrast such as blue or green would look better against the dark red.

I reckon if you were going to do orange you would have to use a very dark red for your armour and a very bright orange for it to work, safer bet would be blue or green, you could go a bit radical and use a bright pinky-purple if you were feeling funky.

Nothing wrong with orange - just look to push contrast with other areas of the models (cloth, eye lenses, etc), or stress contrast in terms of hot/cold. If the red is cold, as Word Bearers red typically is, go with a hot orange. Not every model has to be composed like it's a golden daemon entry! As relatively few models overall are going to have plasma glows, you can afford to be a bit lax occasionally with things like this. I don't typically paint coloured power weapons though, so it's probably best to do up a test model to get a feel for how the scheme will look if you do it across the army.

Edited by Marshal Loss