WarriorFish's Veteran's Chimera - Treads and Thrusters

WarriorFish

If you want some weathering tips take a read through this  http://www.grispanzer.com/downloads/accionpress/%5BScale%20Modelling%5D%20-%20FAQ%20of%20the%20AFV%20Painting%20Techniques%20by%20Mig%20Jimenez.pdf   

Someone posted it on the forum ages ago and its a really great read..actually its the best modelling book/artical ive ever come across.

Some time spent painting today, focused exclusively on weathering. I decided to continue just working on the front so I can see how it looks and I realised that it'd need to be more complete to properly gauge how it looks. Here's the result:

gallery_30308_3239_32893.jpg

The plough isn't finished with the weathering, small accident with the Charadon Granite called an early stop to play. It also hides most of the tracks but you should see how it looks from the bit you can spy.

I think it turned out well, the Typhus in particular works great and you can then pick bits out with Agrax and Badab. It did end up covering most of the chipping effect though so I'll need to keep that in mind for future weathering. Once I've done the streaking/wash bits on the plough I'll turn my attention to the rest of the model. Then I'll need to see about tackling a bit of mud smile.png

If anyone has any tips or pointers let me know! I'm wondering if I can get some blood on the plough too but I'll have to come up with a good idea first.

Thanks! I'm going to finish the model and think about mud then. I'll be able to see if I want it with the model finished but even if I do decide in favour it won't be going on this Chimera. I was lucky with the weathering but I'll not risk all the effort I'd have put in on experimenting tongue.png I'll find an older vehicle to test my mud methods on once I've settled on something.

Just need to recover from a bit of a hang over and get cracking again. I'm expecting to get quite a bit of painting done today - it's a great day for it too biggrin.png

Another productive day, but Emprah's biscuits it's slow going! Looks nice, though I left it a bit too late to take pictures so the light is going. I'll need to remember to try and get some good shots next time :P

The left side hasn't been finished yet and the turret still needs quite a bit more work but after that all that it's just the lenses and it's done :D I even spent time during drying working on the first drafts of the backgrounds so I'm looking at a nice pace of work until the deadline next weekend :)

gallery_30308_3239_57140.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_2256.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_33943.jpg

Need to decide on a colour for the petrol cans, maybe red to help tie it in with the Veterans it'll carry?

I usually lurk around anonymously but made the effort to log in to say top work! I'm no good with weathering/battle damage but this looks awesome. I don't suppose you could do a quick list of what you used and how you used it? Perhaps with an easy to follow guide I may be tempted to have a go myself. happy.png

I'm trying to level up my free hand for more ambitious additions ;) I'll scribble down some notes on what I did, it's quite simple really so once I have done so I'm sure you'll be having a go yourself :D In fact, so simple that it probably doesn't even need any pictures to accompany it but I'll see what I can do :tu:

Busy painting today, didn't get much done during the week as I had planned but there's more than enough time and precious daylight for me to finish today smile.png So much so I can take a short tea break to present a small example on the weathering method as promised. As I said it's not anything amazing, but with pictures it'll be easily apparent how to do it (and have a go yourself!). So I give it the rating of "A+ - so simple WarriorFish can't get it wrong" laugh.png

Here's the left side prior to attacking:

gallery_30308_3239_84423.jpg

Here the Typhus Corrosion has been applied. I keep it to the recesses, I decided to not do as much as the right side and only worked it up a little more towards the front and rear:

gallery_30308_3239_9683.jpg

After that you go over the Typhus with Agrax Earthshade (the wonder wash!). I generally just go for it, where Typhus goes Agrax follows, the exception being where it works further up (front and rear here) just to give it a small difference. Once that is dry put some Badab Black in the recesses and it's done!

gallery_30308_3239_29664.jpg

As you can see, not difficult in the slightest all you have to do is put aside the time for it biggrin.png Now that should have dried by now so I'll get back to work.Just got the last few bits before the lenses and I'm finished thumbsup.gif

Just a thought. In the picture above, under the bag on the right side. you could put in a shadow. More like a shadow along all the horizontal edges of the Chimera, not the bag, that's just where I noticed that the armor color was the same. On the left side you have those vents in a darker color and it should be fine but on the right it is noticeable, to me and only because of the picture angel...

So..No one will ever notice it?...laugh.png

It will work with any further weathering.

Don't worry uber, if anyone is looking at the tank from that angle I'll have more pressing concerns such as why they're laying on the table laugh.png My Chimera is now done and I'm very pleased with it, thanks to everyone who has offered tips and advice along the way! This is the fruit of your labours as much as mine biggrin.png

gallery_30308_3239_68349.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_4314.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_8796.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_31060.jpg

I managed to get a little blood splat on the plough too for a xeno who didn't get out the way fast enough tongue.png I am happy to finally get a weathering technique I am satisfied with so I'll work on improving it with further additions later. Other tanks won't be quite so dirty though, which will be explained in the vehicle write up which I should go and post in the Treads and Thrusters topic to properly complete! smile.png

Great take on the weathering, it looks so grimy that the Mecanicum are on their way to chasten your driver for his failure to the vehicle's Machine Spirit :)

The little Union Jack is impressive. thumbsup.gif

It's ok, if you read the background you'll find they're respecting the machine spirit :P They're probably too busy cleaning all the other tanks to notice anyway :lol: I have some unrealistic hopes for freehand stuff one day, so I figured I've got to start somewhere if I want to give it a go ;) Might see if I can add more flags to different ones.

Archived