Let's Talk Custodes

Komrk

I think I'm gonna agree with Daemon2027 here. There really is no modern equivalent to them, their tactics, or their mission statement.

I guess the best thing I could think of as a modern point of reference would be the movie 300. The Spartans being the Custodes, everyone else the legions and other traitor forces. When it comes to personal combat, they excel. When the scenario supports this doctrine, the foe die in droves, no matter how elite they profess to be. But, when the tactical situation no longer favors them (like in the movie when the high passes are taken and they are surrounded), they're toast.

Lions amongst hyenas. One on one, the Lion will win. When the Hyena's move in a pack, though, the lion has two choices; get up a tree or die.

Naw, I just have a thing about hyenas. Fascinating animals, planning on getting ink of one soon. :)

That they are, did a school report on them when everyone else picked popular animals like tigers and dolphins. But then I was always different, on the report on other countries I choose Luxembourg!

I would say the Custodes are refined Thunder Warriors more then Astartes. I think to mass produce warriors the Astartes lost some of the power of the Thunder Warriors (although they don't have the serious flaws of the TW) , which didn't matter due to their numbers. But Custodes are the power of a Thunder Warrior without the short life span, and psychotic tendencies. The only thing I think the Thunder Warriors do have over the other 2 is that they have individual thought. They choose to fight for the Emperor, and as we have seen in The Outcast Dead, and Massacre, they also choose to stop fighting for him.

I think we're forgetting that there are more Custodes than just the Companions as seen by the Tacticals/Jetbikes/Terminators etc. So while the Companions are the Lions among Hyenas, the others would be other Hyenas

Or in the Case of the Contemptor, a Rhino / Elephant / Hippo? (they're actually pretty deadly :P) Among Hyenas.

Still, while the companions are the 300 designated to never leave the Big E's side unless otherwise ordered to do so, they still receive the same training.

Think of the Companions as the Veteran Company of the Custodes.

Perhaps they are the Spartan sword among the the Grecian army - the elite unit akin to Persian Immortals, rigid yet adaptable, nigh undefeatable when in their element but easily outdone by superior tactics.

I am certainly intrigued to see what sort of things they conjure up for heavy support and their motor pool.

To a degree all tyrants are trying to kill their troops. But what I mean is, most Astartes and Custodes would kill themselves if the Emperor asked them to. A Thunder Warrior is more likely to turn round and say, "nope".

Strictly on the Astartes side of things "Half of" is not "most".

Actually, probably more than half, since in my opinion the Khan and the Scars would respond to an order to commit seppuku with "Hi-yo, jetbikes! Let us race away for the distant horizon!"

To a degree all tyrants are trying to kill their troops. But what I mean is, most Astartes and Custodes would kill themselves if the Emperor asked them to. A Thunder Warrior is more likely to turn round and say, "nope".

Strictly on the Astartes side of things"Half of" is not "most".

Actually, probably more than half, since in my opinion the Khan and the Scars would respond to an order to commit seppuku with "Hi-yo, jetbikes! Let us race away for the distant horizon!"

That is a "Shamefu Dispray".

Strictly on the Astartes side of things"Half of" is not "most".

That is a "Shamefu Dispray".

They racka disciprine

Strictly on the Astartes side of things "Half of" is not "most".

Well I was sort of going for pre lorgars enlightenment when everyone was loyal. Post that yes, the traitors would not listen to the Emps, or Horus, and in a lot of cases, their own Primarch.

Again, that's arguable.

+Nobody use psychic powers anymore!+

Khan:

"Yeaaaahhh....no."

Russ:

"Right-o! Good thing my guys have magical wolf powers instead!"

+World Eaters, stop putting crazy machines in your brains!+

Angron:

"See that planet down there? That's where the people who care live. Except not anymore. Because they were my brothers and sisters, and you left them to die! You stole them from me, you slaving bastard!"

But I feel that as the GC went on, the Emperor took more of a back seat role and the Legions slipped. I think early on, when the Primarchs were still lost, the Emperor could have made the legions do what ever he wished. Any way the point I was trying to convey, is that the impression I get is that the Thunder Warriors feel more like real soldiers, who had more choice in what they, unlike the early Legion Astartes, and the Custodes.

This is sort of off topic though.

I guess the best thing I could think of as a modern point of reference would be the movie 300. The Spartans being the Custodes

Spartans were all about discipline and cohesion. They were the ultimate soldiers, not the ultimate warriors

I think the Custodes are more comparable to Samurai whereas the Astartes are comparable to the Roman legions. Samurai had elite weapons (the katana) and focused quite a bit on dueling 

As has been said previously, I really don't think there's any sort of comparable equivalent to the Custodes in the present or past. They're a step between the Astartes and the Primarchs, hand-crafted and tailor made to protect the most powerful psychic being this side of the Warp.

A DB has been adamant that they are not superior to space marines, just different. If a Custode can lay out a space marine in a one on one fight, that doesn't mean a space marine is inferior, just trained differently. Space marines fight more than Custodes, which makes me wonder how useful Custodes would be as anything but fighters. They would lack tactical and strategic experience, no matter how well educated. Classic 2nd Lieutenant Syndrome. Sure he can tell you about how Patton broke through to Bastogne, but he might get lost on a simple land nav exercise.

A DB has been adamant that they are not superior to space marines, just different. If a Custode can lay out a space marine in a one on one fight, that doesn't mean a space marine is inferior, just trained differently. Space marines fight more than Custodes, which makes me wonder how useful Custodes would be as anything but fighters. They would lack tactical and strategic experience, no matter how well educated. Classic 2nd Lieutenant Syndrome. Sure he can tell you about how Patton broke through to Bastogne, but he might get lost on a simple land nav exercise.

Most dangerous thing in war time is a 2nd lieutenant with a compass ;)

Archived